PDA

View Full Version : Here is an interesting Basketball issue/rule....

kaorder1999
02-11-2010, 12:52 PM
Had heard of this before but didnt believe it then I heard Norm talk about it this morning on The Ticket so I did some research.

A basketball game final score is not OFFICIAL until the officials have left the floor. Even if time has expired, an official can assess a technical foul for taunting, unsportsmanlike behaviour, etc....

Heard a team had just won (so they thought) and the kids went nuts and were taunting the losing team and they were assessed a technical foul. The team that had just lost (so they thought) was given technical free throws which were made forcing overtime and went on to win in overtime.....How crazy would that be!????

Ex-Tiger2005
02-11-2010, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
Had heard of this before but didnt believe it then I heard Norm talk about it this morning on The Ticket so I did some research.

A basketball game final score is not OFFICIAL until the officials have left the floor. Even if time has expired, an official can assess a technical foul for taunting, unsportsmanlike behaviour, etc....

Heard a team had just won (so they thought) and the kids went nuts and were taunting the losing team and they were assessed a technical foul. The team that had just lost (so they thought) was given technical free throws which were made forcing overtime and went on to win in overtime.....How crazy would that be!????

Thats amazing! I never knew that rule existed! :eek:

3afan
02-11-2010, 02:13 PM
yeah I knew that --- same for softball ... an official can, for example, eject a player after the game has ended and all penalties that would apply to an ejected player will apply .... in fact in softball once the game is over its not over until the officials leave the field; teams have until that time to make any appeals and of course an appeal can nulify a run to possibly change the outcome of a game

perfect example I was working a 2nd round (I think) series between Frisco Centennial & Royse City; I worked the first game, sat out the 2nd and was going to call the plate on the 3rd if there was one; FC won game one, then seemed to win game 2 when they scored in the bottom of the 7th to win by 1 run; but while they were celebrating the RC coach appealed that the girl who scored missed 3rd base, and sure enough she did, they took the run off the board and RC went on to win in 9 innings; FC won game 3 by the way

OK I'm done ... :D

kaorder1999
02-11-2010, 02:32 PM
Why do they have to appeal? If you saw them miss the base why cant you call them out when they touch the next base if you see it happen?

3afan
02-11-2010, 03:42 PM
they just do - its an appeal play ... its like leaving too early when tagging up on a fly ball, the defense has to properly appeal

BaseballUmp
02-11-2010, 03:47 PM
it used to be back in the day, the officials duty to make that call, but now the players or coach has to issue the appeal.
There have been plenty of times ive seen a guy leave to early or miss a bag and no appeals have been called

BaseballUmp
02-11-2010, 03:49 PM
Also, in basketball if before the game when teams are warming up and the officials come on the court they usually blow a whistle letting everyone know they are there. in this time after they are on court, if a player dunks a basketball it results in a technical and the game begins with free throws before the ball has even been tipped off