PDA

View Full Version : P90X Workout

CHS_89
02-10-2010, 08:37 PM
Anybody doing this workout? I am on week 5. The toughest part of the whole series is the yoga routine. I was sore in places I have never been sore before after the yoga part. I'm sticking to a variation of the diet and I am following the workouts religiously. (6 days a week wihth the option to rest or stretch on day 7). I have lost 11 pounds so far. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to get stronger and lean out. :)

bobcat4life
02-10-2010, 11:41 PM
one of my friends tried that. It worked well for him

SintonFan
02-11-2010, 12:32 AM
I've seen it work well too.:)

duckhunter
02-11-2010, 10:54 AM
i cant believe people will spend hundred dollars or w/e it costs for this workout. all it is is a high intensity workout. if u need to spend that kind of money for someone to tell u to eat right and to push urself hard while working out to get into shape it makes me wonder.....not suprised their is an obesity problem in america. it isnt rocket science on how to get into shape

PPSTATEBOUND
02-11-2010, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by duckhunter
i cant believe people will spend hundred dollars or w/e it costs for this workout. all it is is a high intensity workout. if u need to spend that kind of money for someone to tell u to eat right and to push urself hard while working out to get into shape it makes me wonder.....not suprised their is an obesity problem in america. it isnt rocket science on how to get into shape

With ya duckhunter....not rocket science..just move more then you eat, and eat healthy, gotta keep that fire burning.

DDBooger
02-11-2010, 11:10 AM
not quite that simple. It changes exercises weekly to combat plateauing. Something to the effect that after a while your body will know when to conserve calories rather than use and your body eventually sees dwindling results. Whereas a workout that is constantly changing does not allow for the body to do that. A trainer could do this for you, or someone could educate themselves and create a workout for themselves based on this premise. I suppose this is just easier for a lot of people.

Txbroadcaster
02-11-2010, 11:34 AM
P90X is really NOT as much abhout weight loss as it is about toning..it even says if your looking for heavy weight loss this is not the program for you.

look at most of the before after pics...not alot of fat loss as much as flabby people becoming more ripped

Farmersfan
02-11-2010, 12:58 PM
It does seem a little odd that so many people spend so much time trying to keep their bodies from doing what it was designed to do! Did Nature(or God if you choose) blow it on this design?

CHS_89
02-11-2010, 01:13 PM

What does the obesity problem in America have to do with someone wanting to better themselves? Does it really matter how much you pay or if you choose to pay for it? Are you saying it's wrong to pay for a workout program or someone (i.e. trainer or gym membership) who wants to get back in shape? That person still has to be motivated to bring it to see results.

I didn't pay hundreds of dollars, bought it used for 30 bucks. Sometimes people that don't have time to be gym rats need a little help to get off the couch. This program fits my lifestyle because I work from 6AM to 6PM. Work out afterwards at home in lieu of going to the gym afterwards, thus maximizing the time at home with my family.

BTW, my wife is going to the program as well. We're both seeing lifechanging results. Plus, this program is my motivation to counter high blood pressure that started at a young age. That's well worth $30 to me. Your lifestyle or workout regimen (if you even have one) may be different, so be it. but don't come on here criticizing someone for trying to better themselves...heck, anything counts as long as you keep moving and eat right..I agree with PPSB, and this program is the way I choose to go about it.

Pick6
02-11-2010, 01:44 PM
Congrats Jeff on you and your wife's progress. It takes hard work and determination to get on a program to lose weight and gain strength. Keep up the good work.

bobcat4life
02-11-2010, 04:31 PM
It is more about tone and getting more ripped. When my friend did it, he was about 185 pounds but he wasnt ripped. He stayed about the same weightwise but got alot more ripped. If your trying to lose weight, however, you should probably try someting else.

Farmersfan
02-15-2010, 09:31 AM
For all you exercise pros on the forum maybe you can answer a question! I just purchased an Elliptical Trainer and set it up in my mancave with the intent of getting at least 30 minutes a day. The trainer came with 16 preset exercise programs for wieghtloss (6), Toning(6) and Cardial(6) and I tried using the first setting for wieghtloss which set the resistance and time. But here is the problem: The program requires 30 mins but I was completely unable to go for more than 5 minutes before my legs became like jello and would not even hold me up anymore. I didn't have much trouble with the heartrate or breathing but my legs couldn't take it. Are these presets designed for advanced users? How far should I push it before I quit in order to get my legs in shape enough to handle the time required to burn calories? Does anyone have any experience going from ZERO activity for 20 years to using a machine like this? Any advice would be appreciated.

CHS_89
02-15-2010, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
For all you exercise pros on the forum maybe you can answer a question! I just purchased an Elliptical Trainer and set it up in my mancave with the intent of getting at least 30 minutes a day. The trainer came with 16 preset exercise programs for wieghtloss (6), Toning(6) and Cardial(6) and I tried using the first setting for wieghtloss which set the resistance and time. But here is the problem: The program requires 30 mins but I was completely unable to go for more than 5 minutes before my legs became like jello and would not even hold me up anymore. I didn't have much trouble with the heartrate or breathing but my legs couldn't take it. Are these presets designed for advanced users? How far should I push it before I quit in order to get my legs in shape enough to handle the time required to burn calories? Does anyone have any experience going from ZERO activity for 20 years to using a machine like this? Any advice would be appreciated.

Farmer,

I say set the elliptical at a rate comfortable for you and don't worry about the programming...yet.

I'm no expert, but I do know you do NOT have to kill yourself on a treadmill or an elliptical to get in shape. First quetion is what is your goal? Overall health, weight loss, cardio shape? Once you answer that, I would recommend you determine your resting heart rate (right when you wake up in the morning, count your pulse for 60 seconds and remember that number of beats within the minute). With that number you can use the following calculator to determine your maximum heart rate based on age and gender and determine the ranges to meet your individual goals. Once you know your max heart rate, you can determine exactly how you need to workout to reach your goal.

http://www.changingshape.com/resources/calculators/targetheartratecalculator.asp

If you are going for weight loss, for example, you will need to train at a level of 60 to 70 percent of your maximum heart rate. For starters I say 20 minutes and work your way up from there. As a rule of thumb, you will start burning calories after 9-11 minutes of excercise. After 15 minutes, anything extra is gravy. For me, I work out for 70 minutes a day in one sitting including stretching and weight lifting. My cardio is approx 45 minutes. One day I might go for weight loss, and the other cardio health, or both.

Hope this helps. Keep at it and increase your time until you get to 45 or 50 minutes, maintaining within percentage of your maximum heart rate while you are working. Stay within the range you choose, because if you go below or above, your body will respond differently. Good luck!

Emerson1
02-15-2010, 10:15 PM
I'm thinkin about starting it

Farmersfan
02-16-2010, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by CHS_89
Farmer,

I say set the elliptical at a rate comfortable for you and don't worry about the programming...yet.

I'm no expert, but I do know you do NOT have to kill yourself on a treadmill or an elliptical to get in shape. First quetion is what is your goal? Overall health, weight loss, cardio shape? Once you answer that, I would recommend you determine your resting heart rate (right when you wake up in the morning, count your pulse for 60 seconds and remember that number of beats within the minute). With that number you can use the following calculator to determine your maximum heart rate based on age and gender and determine the ranges to meet your individual goals. Once you know your max heart rate, you can determine exactly how you need to workout to reach your goal.

http://www.changingshape.com/resources/calculators/targetheartratecalculator.asp

If you are going for weight loss, for example, you will need to train at a level of 60 to 70 percent of your maximum heart rate. For starters I say 20 minutes and work your way up from there. As a rule of thumb, you will start burning calories after 9-11 minutes of excercise. After 15 minutes, anything extra is gravy. For me, I work out for 70 minutes a day in one sitting including stretching and weight lifting. My cardio is approx 45 minutes. One day I might go for weight loss, and the other cardio health, or both.

Hope this helps. Keep at it and increase your time until you get to 45 or 50 minutes, maintaining within percentage of your maximum heart rate while you are working. Stay within the range you choose, because if you go below or above, your body will respond differently. Good luck!

Thanks CHS89! That's a lot of good information.

Phantom Stang
02-16-2010, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by bobcat4life
It is more about tone and getting more ripped. When my friend did it, he was about 185 pounds but he wasnt ripped. He stayed about the same weightwise but got alot more ripped. If your trying to lose weight, however, you should probably try someting else.
If after 12weeks, I can be ripped while staying the same weight I am right now, I'll pay double.:D

bobcat4life
02-16-2010, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
If after 12weeks, I can be ripped while staying the same weight I am right now, I'll pay double.:D being 400 pounds and ripped is physically impossible:devil:

Farmersfan
02-17-2010, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by bobcat4life
being 400 pounds and ripped is physically impossible:devil:

Not if you are 13' tall!!!!!

Farmersfan
02-17-2010, 08:43 AM
I did make a little headway last night on the new Elliptical. Apparently I was not doing it correctly. The first couple of days I was only able to go for about 2 minutes and my thighs and lower back would be hurting or buring from the strain. Last night I paid a little closer attention to my posture and my actions while using it and found that I was putting a lot of strain on my legs. I don't know why but I was squatting down a lot and working the machine with really bent knees which was almost impossible. After I stood up and started trying to imitate actual walking it became sooooo much easier. I went for 13 minutes without stopping and it wasn't as hard as two minutes the other way. I guess actually knowing what the heck you are doing makes a world of difference.
Thanks for all the advice.

Emerson1
02-22-2010, 06:53 PM
It does seem a little odd that so many people spend so much time trying to keep their bodies from doing what it was designed to do! Did Nature(or God if you choose) blow it on this design?
The thing is, most fat people never go out into nature.

Farmersfan
02-23-2010, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
The thing is, most fat people never go out into nature.

Nice to know you have it all figured out Emerson1. So by contrast does this mean that most skinny people do go out into nature?

mustang04
02-23-2010, 11:08 PM

Well...originally people had to actually move and work to get their food and maintain survival...so in a sense living the modern lifestyle in a developed country is actually keeping your body from doing what it was meant to

Farmersfan
02-24-2010, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by mustang04
Well...originally people had to actually move and work to get their food and maintain survival...so in a sense living the modern lifestyle in a developed country is actually keeping your body from doing what it was meant to

So is it your contention that there has only been fat people during the "Modern Lifestyles"?

And if you look at nature and the design laid out for almost all animals (humans included) you will see that nature intended animals to gain weight during times of plenty. The body is designed to take the excess and store it in the form of fat. It's a built-in survival mechanism. (so when Global warming covers the planet with ice, only fat people will survive!!) :D :D
And it has only been recently (the last 100 years or so) that being overwieght has been considered unhealthy. 100 years ago a woman was not considered attractive unless she was "Full Figured" and 200 years ago she was considered downright unhealthy if she was even close to being skinny. Our recent obsession with thinness is more of a concern to me than any of the issues involved with being overwieght. The shallow, mindless drivel being taught to our children daily by rail thin runway models is borderline narcissistic and will lead to a much worst end. A young, overwieght girl doesn't stand a chance in this society today and most young boys are taught that a woman should be judged on her appearance rather than anything of real substance. This shallow, flash over substance mentality has permeated most parts of this society. There's no wonder the diet industry is a multi Billion dollar industry.
I'm not talking about obesity. That's a different issue!

Farmersfan
02-24-2010, 09:25 AM
I forgot to add that as of this morning I have lost 11lbs. That's 11lbs in 2 weeks of watching what I eat and about 1 week with the Elliptical. The encouraging part is that my wife has taken to it like a duck to water. She is an Elliptical maniac.

Maybe it's because that's the only way she gets "FREE" access to the mancave!!!!:D