PDA

View Full Version : Tortillas

Bullaholic
02-10-2010, 10:59 AM
Flour or corn? Who sells the best, and who has the best at a restaurant? Anybody make their own? Cooking methods?

Old Tiger
02-10-2010, 11:13 AM
breakfast tacos flour

fajitas and anything else like that corn

ASUFrisbeeStud
02-10-2010, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
breakfast tacos flour

fajitas and anything else like that corn

ditto

pancho villa
02-10-2010, 12:14 PM
Ms Villa can cook up some awsome tortillas. and my answer is BOTH!

Bullaholic
02-10-2010, 01:37 PM
These are the best I have found in a store:

http://www.tortillasguerrero.com/Products.aspx#

Black & Gold
02-10-2010, 01:40 PM
What is the best way to heat corn tortillas? Had them fried but that is really greasy.

Bullaholic
02-10-2010, 01:44 PM
Dos Chiles Grandes in Bridgeport has a tortilla machine that makes the tortillas while you watch and drops em' down piping hot for serving to the tables.

big daddy russ
02-10-2010, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Black & Gold
What is the best way to heat corn tortillas? Had them fried but that is really greasy.
I like putting just a bit of water on a plate (a little past "damp," but not to where it forms a puddle), dropping the tortillas on there, covering them with a paper towel, and throwing them in the microwave. They come out soft like a flour tortilla, don't break apart like most corn tortillas, and still have all the flavor.

BTW, I love HEB's fresh-made tortillas. Better than anything I've seen at the store and even better than my previous favorite tortillas--the ones you buy from the Tortilla Factory down in Ingleside.

kaorder1999
02-10-2010, 01:57 PM
The BEST you will ever find!

Dallas Tortilla and Tamale Factory (http://www.dallastortilla.com/contact.htm)

Green Bling
02-10-2010, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Black & Gold
I heat them in a hot dry(no oil) skillet until they are very lightly toasted, but still soft like they would be if they were made fresh at an authentic eatery in Mexico.

Third
02-10-2010, 02:35 PM
If you get them in a store or "tortilla factory" you're missing out. If it ain't homemade, it ain't a tortilla. My mom made them, my wife makes them and my mother-in-law makes them. Once you've had homemade, store bought or any other kind just taste like paper.

Oh, and hot off the comal (griddle) with a little butter or some homemade chile or salsa is best.

Green Bling
02-10-2010, 02:38 PM
Los Santos in LaVernia, La Enchiladita in Nixon, and Rosie's in Cuero all make good corn tortillas from scratch in their kitchens. Great with huevos rancheros!!

STANG RED
02-10-2010, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Third
If you get them in a store or "tortilla factory" you're missing out. If it ain't homemade, it ain't a tortilla. My mom made them, my wife makes them and my mother-in-law makes them. Once you've had homemade, store bought or any other kind just taste like paper.

Oh, and hot off the comal (griddle) with a little butter or some homemade chile or salsa is best.

Your absolutely right, but most of us dont have the luxury of having someone at home that can make them fresh. Their kindof like the difference in vine ripened and store bought tomatoes.

Walmart now sells a package of raw dough flour tortillas, that you just cook up on the griddle. Not quiet as good as real homemade, but much better than any other store bought tortillas. I find them in the refrigerated section with the chorizo and mexican cheeses. Their pretty awesome.

CHS_Grad '85
02-10-2010, 03:38 PM
Corn - I like my own best... :D

TheDOCTORdre
02-10-2010, 03:42 PM
I like my momma's flour tortillas

DavidWooderson
02-10-2010, 03:44 PM
Corn tortillas from El Fenix

Ranger Mom
02-10-2010, 04:56 PM
I get mine from either Rosa's or Super Mercado....both are made fresh daily!!

Love going into Super Mercado and the packages are still warm!!

MUSTANG69
02-10-2010, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I like putting just a bit of water on a plate (a little past "damp," but not to where it forms a puddle), dropping the tortillas on there, covering them with a paper towel, and throwing them in the microwave. They come out soft like a flour tortilla, don't break apart like most corn tortillas, and still have all the flavor.

BTW, I love HEB's fresh-made tortillas. Better than anything I've seen at the store and even better than my previous favorite tortillas--the ones you buy from the Tortilla Factory down in Ingleside. :clap:

LE Dad
02-10-2010, 05:52 PM
I think tortillas should be banned. :mad: There are thousands of other choices. 50 people a year choke on tortillas. They are dangerous. I know you may like them but suck it up and eat your taco on bread.:D

squid
02-10-2010, 07:15 PM
I get mine from either Rosa's or Super Mercado..

Rosa's really makes good tortillas, even if they are a chain restaurant.

garciap, what say you?

sinton66
02-10-2010, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Dos Chiles Grandes in Bridgeport has a tortilla machine that makes the tortillas while you watch and drops em' down piping hot for serving to the tables.

Alamo Cafe in San Antonio was the first one I ever saw do that. They started probably 20 years ago or so. And, they are EXCELLENT!!!

Diocletian
02-11-2010, 01:15 AM
I like flour tortilla chips instead of the corn ones...

But generally prefer corn tortillas for everything "taco" related.

GetRDoneStangs
02-11-2010, 03:46 AM
I think we should consult the Texas Tech student body.....they are "connoisseur of tortilla's"........ and they know how to serve....throw....sling.....the best tortilla 's around!!

Ex-Tiger2005
02-11-2010, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Flour or corn? Who sells the best, and who has the best at a restaurant? Anybody make their own? Cooking methods?

FLour! Rosa's has the best torts out of a restaurant. And my mom and grandmother make the best other wise! :D

I have had some really good home-made corn torts before at a family function but you can not find them too often.

PPSTATEBOUND
02-11-2010, 11:11 AM
Gotta go with corn although I prolly eat more flour.....Wife buys the food. Wont catch a fluor tortilla being ate at the all illegal alien lunch fest here at 11 everyday.

waterboy
02-11-2010, 12:16 PM
It depends. Flour tortillas are for the usual stuff....fajitas, quesadillas, burritos, etc. Corn tortillas, if fresh and made right are the tastiest. I like 'em hot so I can can put butter on them and dip 'em in a good spicy salsa. Yummy!