PDA

View Full Version : Tony Romo QB for the Colts

coach
02-08-2010, 03:26 PM
Put Romo in Peyton's shoes last night and how many people would be bashing him for choking in the super bowl

fanofthegame
02-08-2010, 03:37 PM
BIG DIFFERENCE......that is only 1 choke compare to Romo's ?????time he chokes.

coach
02-08-2010, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by fanofthegame

i mean i know its a hge difference but im pretty sure peyton has more than one choke lol

eagles_victory
02-08-2010, 03:51 PM
Coach you should put in your sig Tony Romo's 3adownlow bodyguard.

Third
02-08-2010, 03:53 PM
Peyton also already has a ring.

Txbroadcaster
02-08-2010, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by fanofthegame

while I think Manning is a great QB he is 9-9 in play-offs...so he has struggles in the play offs a bunch, not just this one time

ziggy29
02-08-2010, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
while I think Manning is a great QB he is 9-9 in play-offs...so he has struggles in the play offs a bunch, not just this one time
Yeah, but that's 9-9 against playoff-caliber teams... and since the Colts have frequently had a first round bye, not the weaker playoff-caliber teams either.

Plus, he was one-and-done in his first three playoff seasons (and had some pretty bad games) before he really became Peyton Manning.

Since the 2003 season, he was 9-6 in the playoffs and was 9-5 before last night. And there's the matter of that ring.

Other than in his first three career playoff games, Manning has been anything but a big-game choker in the aggregate.

DDBooger
02-08-2010, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by coach
i mean i know its a hge difference but im pretty sure peyton has more than one choke lol he had tons vs the Pats.

Txbroadcaster
02-08-2010, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by ziggy29
Yeah, but that's 9-9 against playoff-caliber teams... and since the Colts have frequently had a first round bye, not the weaker playoff-caliber teams either.

Plus, he was one-and-done in his first three playoff seasons (and had some pretty bad games) before he really became Peyton Manning.

Since the 2003 season, he was 9-6 in the playoffs and was 9-5 before last night. And there's the matter of that ring.

Other than in his first three career playoff games, Manning has been anything but a big-game choker in the aggregate.

so basically Manning gets a pass for his first three games in play offs..but romo does not for his first 3 games in play offs?

BullsFan
02-08-2010, 04:17 PM
so basically Manning gets a pass for his first three games in play offs..but romo does not for his first 3 games in play offs?

No no no...you're not getting it. Right now he's Tony Romo. It takes three seasons before he becomes Tony Romo. ;)

ziggy29
02-08-2010, 04:23 PM
No one was giving Manning a "pass" back when he was 0-3 in his three playoff games. I seem to recall some using the "C" word about him, too.

Manning had to earn his way out of that label by turning it around and coming up big in many future playoff games, including a Super Bowl MVP.

Maybe Romo will do the same in the future -- but he hasn't yet, so he's basically where Peyton was early in his career.

Old Tiger
02-08-2010, 04:24 PM
Peyton already has a super bowl and is an elite QB in the league.

IMO the elite QB's in the NFL right now are Big Ben, Peyton, Drew, and Brady.

BaTmAn24
02-08-2010, 05:39 PM
Peyton choked? I admit he had some poor passes, 3 Horrible ones at that. But the drops that Garcon and Wayne had killed the Colts 3 times. Two of those being on an important 3rd down and one for a TD in the last minute.. I wouldn't necessarily say Peyton choked, he threw for 333 yards and what should've been at least 2 TD's. In my opinion, the Colts as a team choked. Not recovering the onside kick, all the key dropped passes, and not putting any pressure on Brees whatsoever is what killed them. I see the Colts coming back next year and going just as far. With Collie and Garcon solidifying the Colt's receiving core and safety Bob Sanders coming back, The Colts will be just as good if not significantly better.

IHStangFan
02-08-2010, 06:19 PM
i mean i know its a hge difference but im pretty sure peyton has more than one choke lol Other than the pick 6...did he really "choke"? Romo has to GET to a SB first before he can choke in one.

Farmersfan
02-09-2010, 09:42 AM

Wow! So now Romo is a early Peyton Manning too?

Newsflash TX! Manning is only 3 years older than Romo and he has 9 years more playing experience in the NFL than Romo does. Even if Romo suddenly becomes Manning next season he will not be able to match Peyton's success because he will be LIKE 50 before he gets enough experience!!!!!!!!!!!!

Txbroadcaster
02-09-2010, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
Wow! So now Romo is a early Peyton Manning too?

Newsflash TX! Manning is only 3 years older than Romo and he has 9 years more playing experience in the NFL than Romo does. Even if Romo suddenly becomes Manning next season he will not be able to match Peyton's success because he will be LIKE 50 before he gets enough experience!!!!!!!!!!!!

hmmm..not sure where I said Romo was an early Manning or anything CLOSE to that, but whatever

Mace Griffin
02-09-2010, 10:38 AM
Here we go again the most overused pharse in sports "choke". Can one team just lose without it being a "choke" on this website please.

BILLYFRED0000
02-09-2010, 10:38 AM
i mean i know its a hge difference but im pretty sure peyton has more than one choke lol

Yes, Peyton is 9 and 9 in championship games including two losses in the NCAA at Tennesse in the " big one"........ Those numbers are going all the way back to high school BTW.

Farmersfan
02-09-2010, 11:25 AM
hmmm..not sure where I said Romo was an early Manning or anything CLOSE to that, but whatever

You didn't TX! Sorry....

If Romo goes on to have a career like Manning has then nobody will be bringing up the early stumbles. But it seems you are saying that people need to get off Romo's back NOW because of what Manning has done. Is that it?

Farmersfan
02-09-2010, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Mace Griffin
Here we go again the most overused pharse in sports "choke". Can one team just lose without it being a "choke" on this website please.

It will always be considered a "Choke" if a player doesn't play up to the standards that we have become accustomed to. How can it be otherwise?

Txbroadcaster
02-09-2010, 01:41 PM
You didn't TX! Sorry....

If Romo goes on to have a career like Manning has then nobody will be bringing up the early stumbles. But it seems you are saying that people need to get off Romo's back NOW because of what Manning has done. Is that it?

I am saying people today try to define the career of players to early..no matter the player

Peyton was once labeled cannot win the big game, then he won it

Eli Manning was labeled will never be a winner...then he won it

Drew Brees was all about stats and would never win a SB..then he won it.

We are in a instant world now, and people want to define the career of someone before the career is even over.

Romo might never even go to a SB..he might go a bunch and lose everytime..he might go once and win, or a bunch and win, or he might just fall somewhere in between.

I never have a problem with someone saying Romo needs to prove he can wion the big game..I think it is crazy when people say he will NEVER do it...we just dont know

John Elway went a whole career supposedly not able to win the big game..great QB who cant win a SB...then he wins two in a row.

Until their career is over, we really cant pass judgment on the quality of that career

BILLYFRED0000
02-09-2010, 01:52 PM
It will always be considered a "Choke" if a player doesn't play up to the standards that we have become accustomed to. How can it be otherwise?

Too many believe in the qB failure. But stats do not make a case.
It is still a team game. Sorry guys but Peyton threw a ball that the receiver quit on. Porter made a nice jump on the ball and Wayne did not.
If he had jumped out there at least it could have been incomplete or a tackle at the point of interception which changes the game. Wayne made such a poor cut that I think I could have jumped the route.

Farmersfan
02-09-2010, 04:39 PM
I am saying people today try to define the career of players to early..no matter the player

Peyton was once labeled cannot win the big game, then he won it

Eli Manning was labeled will never be a winner...then he won it

Drew Brees was all about stats and would never win a SB..then he won it.

We are in a instant world now, and people want to define the career of someone before the career is even over.

Romo might never even go to a SB..he might go a bunch and lose everytime..he might go once and win, or a bunch and win, or he might just fall somewhere in between.

I never have a problem with someone saying Romo needs to prove he can wion the big game..I think it is crazy when people say he will NEVER do it...we just dont know

John Elway went a whole career supposedly not able to win the big game..great QB who cant win a SB...then he wins two in a row.

Until their career is over, we really cant pass judgment on the quality of that career

Here are the NFL networks top 25 undrafted players of all times: #1 to #25.

Warren Moon
Kurt Warner
Dick Lane
John Randle
Rod Smith
Antonio Gates
Priest Holmes
Tony Romo
James harrison
Wes Welker
Willie Parker
Jeff Garcia
Wayne Chrebet
Jeff Saturday
Adam Vinatieri
Pat Williams
Jake Delhomme
Jason Peters
London Fletcher
Brian Waters
Bart Scott
Adewale Ogunleye
Antonio Pierce
Nick Harper

Unless I miss my count only 4 were QBs and only 1 of those QBs have ever won a SuperBowl. Warren Moon and Jake Delhomme were the only two to even play for the same team for more than a couple of seasons. And these were the BEST undrafted players to ever play in the NFL. Perhaps Romo will break the mold! He already has shown great potential but I tend to believe that is a result of the great team he took over from the very beginning but that is just opinion. The evidence leds us to believe Romo will never be more than a journeyman QB that has moderate success in the NFL. To be a franchise QB and win Superbowls takes a pedigree that Romo didn't have from the beginning or he would have played for a bigger college and would have been drafted.
Perhaps that is why people are too quick to judge Tony Romo!

Phil C
02-09-2010, 05:45 PM
I heard Terry Bradshaw was going to come out of retirement and play QB for the Colts.

BEAST
02-09-2010, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
Too many believe in the qB failure. But stats do not make a case.
It is still a team game. Sorry guys but Peyton threw a ball that the receiver quit on. Porter made a nice jump on the ball and Wayne did not.
If he had jumped out there at least it could have been incomplete or a tackle at the point of interception which changes the game. Wayne made such a poor cut that I think I could have jumped the route.

I agree 100%. Nobody has mentioned that. Its always the Qb that screws up. It was obvious that Wayne didnt think the ball was going to come his way. He literally half-assed his route and Manning looked like he screwed up. That game was headed for a 24-24 tie and probably overtime.

BEAST

Txbroadcaster
02-09-2010, 06:06 PM

Perhaps that is why people are too quick to judge Tony Romo!

missing my point..EVERYONE today is judged quick..not just Romo

you say his numbers show he is nothing but a journeyman..well since 2006 he is a top 5 QB stat wise so not sure how he shows he is a journeyman..and top 5 in wins as well

Barney Stinson
02-09-2010, 10:26 PM
This thread is of interest to me.

Pawdaddy
02-09-2010, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Barney Stinson
This thread is of interest to me.

?????

Are you a Moslem? You talk weird!

forum_guy
02-10-2010, 01:19 AM
If you are looking for a guy to throw 400+ and 5 tds in the regular season Manning is your guy. He has been avg during his playoff career. Even during the Colts Superbowl winning year these were the postseason stats

GAMES - 4
COMP - 97
ATT - 153
COMP PCT - 63.4
YARDS - 1,034
YPA - 6.8
TD - 3
INT - 7
QB RATING - 70.5

The defense that year won them the championship and over came his not so good play.

Phantom Stang
02-10-2010, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by Pawdaddy
?????

Are you a Moslem? You talk weird!
May I say I find you to have a point Pawdaddy.

Footballhudini
02-10-2010, 06:00 AM
I feel sorry for jim kelly and scott 'wide right' norwood