PDA

View Full Version : Tony Dungy confuses me....royally...

kaorder1999
02-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Ok...I TOTALLY see Dungy's point when it comes to following the Rooney Rule like it is meant to be....i understand it gives a minority coach a chance to be looked and given a chance to interview. I understand all of that and I dont really have a problem with it. I also understand that team is going to hire who they want to but thats a different story for a different day.

BUT...here is what Im so confused about. Tony Dungy used his platform to speak out against the Seahawks and the hiring of Pete Carroll because he did not believe the Rooney Rule was used as its intended. He says and I quote:

"The idea of the rule is to slow down the process and get teams to do their homework and investigate a lot of candidates, not just minority candidates," he said. "You went through the process, and in doing that sometimes you uncover people."

FAST FOWARD TO RECENTLY and I dont have the exact quote but Dungy goes on TV saying that if he would have been named Vice-President of the Seahawks, Leslie Frazier (Minnesota DC) would have been named head football coach immediatly. (Doesnt that go against his before mentioned quote?) Im so confused as to exactly what he believes. I think he is a GREAT man but I think there are some issues he struggles with. 1 issue he has is confusing the heck out of me!

kaorder1999
02-08-2010, 10:10 AM
oh...and please dont turn this into something that will be grounds for closing the thread...please be mature about it...

NateDawg39
02-08-2010, 10:42 AM
I think that he is just trying to help people remember the rule is in place for a reason. It is possible to view his comments as one sided but at the same time, he is the biggest supporter of the rule. So i think he does a good job off playing the support role in some regard.

As for is latest comment, I think maybe he had time to research these coaches, and find the quality in them. It is possible he saw more potential in Frazier than he did Pete

kaorder1999
02-08-2010, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
I think that he is just trying to help people remember the rule is in place for a reason. It is possible to view his comments as one sided but at the same time, he is the biggest supporter of the rule. So i think he does a good job off playing the support role in some regard.

As for is latest comment, I think maybe he had time to research these coaches, and find the quality in them. It is possible he saw more potential in Frazier than he did Pete

BUT...he didnt interview anyone since he wasnt named VP....so how can he say that he already knew who he would have hired WITHOUT interviewing....

JasperDog94
02-08-2010, 10:56 AM
IMO the Rooney Rules is racist in nature. Here's why:

Does the reverse apply? If a team already wanted to hire a minority coach (say Coach Dungy) would they also have to interview white coaches? If the answer is no then the rule is racist in nature. How about we let teams hire the best man for the job? If they choose to overlook quality guys, they will suffer on the field.

I have a ton of respect for coach Dungy. I think he believes that this rule is a good thing. But I don't think that he was hired because he was black. He was hired because someone saw something in him. He was hired because someone thought he would be a great head coach...and they were right. Race had nothing to do with it.

I look forward to a day when the ethnicity of someone is no longer an issue. Unfortunately that will never happen.:(

kaorder1999
02-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
IMO the Rooney Rules is racist in nature. Here's why:

Does the reverse apply? If a team already wanted to hire a minority coach (say Coach Dungy) would they also have to interview white coaches? If the answer is no then the rule is racist in nature. How about we let teams hire the best man for the job? If they choose to overlook quality guys, they will suffer on the field.

I have no problem with DUngy voicing his opinion on this rule BUT...if he is so dead set on supporting this rule then you would think that if he WERE given the chance to hire a head coach as the VP of Seattle then you would think he would go through the entire hiring process and NOT say he would hire Frazier before others are interviewed...

Emerson1
02-08-2010, 11:02 AM
Stupid rule

NateDawg39
02-08-2010, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
BUT...he didnt interview anyone since he wasnt named VP....so how can he say that he already knew who he would have hired WITHOUT interviewing.... I just mean he watched him, saw his talent and decided he was his man if he choose to go to the Seahawks.

JasperDog94
02-08-2010, 11:12 AM
I just mean he watched him, saw his talent and decided he was his man if he choose to go to the Seahawks. But that goes against the Rooney Rule.:confused:

NateDawg39
02-08-2010, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
But that goes against the Rooney Rule.:confused: Not exactly...I am saying that Dungy is a sports analyst, coach, and family man. I would not doubt he spent his off days looking at resumes of coaches, studying their game film, and picking hi staff long before we knew about the possibility of him going to Seattle

kaorder1999
02-08-2010, 12:04 PM
Not exactly...I am saying that Dungy is a sports analyst, coach, and family man. I would not doubt he spent his off days looking at resumes of coaches, studying their game film, and picking hi staff long before we knew about the possibility of him going to Seattle

BUT....the ROoney rule is all about interviews.....Not just researching....IF Dungy were to be made the VP, there is no telling who would have applied for that job. So for him to say he would hire Frazier is NO DIFFERENT then the Seahawks hiring who they wanted!

NateDawg39
02-08-2010, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
BUT....the ROoney rule is all about interviews.....Not just researching....IF Dungy were to be made the VP, there is no telling who would have applied for that job. So for him to say he would hire Frazier is NO DIFFERENT then the Seahawks hiring who they wanted! Then you have all the answers you were looking for right? :D

lol I never liked Dungy to be honest. He just seems wishy washy to me

kaorder1999
02-08-2010, 12:43 PM
Then you have all the answers you were looking for right? :D

lol I never liked Dungy to be honest. He just seems wishy washy to me

no...i know what he has said on different occasions but just dont understand his thinking. I dont know...just a weird situation...

Farmersfan
02-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Essentially he is showing that on the one hand he is representative of a miniority group and must support anything in place to help the group he is part of and on the other hand he is saying he is smart enough to make the decision of who he wants to hire without the token interview process. It's too bad he doesn't apply the same logic to both perspectives!