PDA

View Full Version : Softball Info

lange4
02-06-2010, 10:16 PM
I have a daughter that is playing softball this year after playing several years with the boys. She is a good ball player and was the only girl playing with the boys. My question is about teaching to pitch, do you start with velocity first and work into accuricy or try to keep as much accuricy in the first teachings. I do not care about throwing strikes now if we should be working on velocity. She is 10 years old. Any input would be appreciated. Basketball is soon ending and we will begin working on the pitching.

hookandladder
02-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by lange4
I have a daughter that is playing softball this year after playing several years with the boys. She is a good ball player and was the only girl playing with the boys. My question is about teaching to pitch, do you start with velocity first and work into accuricy or try to keep as much accuricy in the first teachings. I do not care about throwing strikes now if we should be working on velocity. She is 10 years old. Any input would be appreciated. Basketball is soon ending and we will begin working on the pitching.

If you do not know the proper fundamentals of pitching, I would suggest finding a pitching coach to give her lessons.At that age fundamentals are what's most important, also being that young she most likely would not have any bad habits to break. Good luck.

LE Dad
02-07-2010, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by hookandladder
If you do not know the proper fundamentals of pitching, I would suggest finding a pitching coach to give her lessons.At that age fundamentals are what's most important, also being that young she most likely would not have any bad habits to break. Good luck. :clap: :clap: Great advice.

PutMeInCoach
02-10-2010, 09:40 AM
1) Fundamentals - grip (start with a 2 seam fastball)

2) Velocity (needs to be consistent, legs/hips need to do the work, so drive with the legs)

3) Accuracy (this will come as she defines her release point, but must be consistent with her velocity)

4) Movement - add in other pitches.
Note: she may have a natural curve when throwing a fastball...don't mess with it!
I suggest adding in 1 pitch at a time until she masters it...repeating steps 1-3 with each new pitch.
I would go 2 seam fastball, 4 seam fastball (will turn into a dropball if velocity is high enough), Riseball, Change, Curve, Off-Speed, and then a pull over drop ball (not until she is older, she can mess up her elbow if her arm mechanics aren't correct).