PDA

View Full Version : The Greatest

coach
02-06-2010, 09:08 PM
One of the greatest to ever play the game was honored today. One o my childhood heroes was put in the highest class you can get in. What a great day. Congrats to the best to play his position. Emmitt Smith

eagleqb_14
02-06-2010, 10:57 PM
so was rice right?

lvbears32
02-06-2010, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by eagleqb_14
so was rice right?

yah. rice is in

bobcat4life
02-07-2010, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by lvbears32
yah. rice is in was there ever any doubt that rice would get in? he owns almost every record for recieving

TheDOCTORdre
02-07-2010, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by coach
One of the greatest to ever play the game was honored today. One o my childhood heroes was put in the highest class you can get in. What a great day. Congrats to the best to play his position. Emmitt Smith

Emmitt wasn't the best to play his position, Sweetness was, and i am a huge Cowboys fan

Pick6
02-07-2010, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
Emmitt wasn't the best to play his position, Sweetness was, and i am a huge Cowboys fan

And I'm a huge Payton fan, still mad at Dikta today for not letting him score in the super bowl, but Emmitt was better that Payton.

coach
02-07-2010, 01:54 PM

emmitt has more yards, touchdowns, superbowls....pretty much more everything...tell me how sweetness was better...if we were compairing these two and they played qb then emmitt would be hands down better and nobody would debate...

Keith7
02-07-2010, 06:12 PM
emmitt has more yards, touchdowns, superbowls....pretty much more everything...tell me how sweetness was better...if we were compairing these two and they played qb then emmitt would be hands down better and nobody would debate...

Barry Sanders was better than both so there goes both of your arguements

big daddy russ
02-07-2010, 07:44 PM
Remember, there's a difference between "better" and "greater."

Until a couple years ago Dan Marino owned every major passing record in the NFL. Both season and career. Johnny U and Joe Cool were still considered "greater" QB's, though.

Old Tiger
02-07-2010, 11:46 PM
Rice is the greatest player in the history of the NFL bar none.

Congrats to John Randle...IMO he should have been a first ballot guy.

Daddy D 11
02-08-2010, 01:10 AM
Jerry Rice

He retired holding NFL records for:

Touchdowns (208), receiving TDs (197), receiving TDs in a season (22), consecutive games with a TD reception (13), TDs in Super Bowls (8), receiving TDs in a single Super Bowl (3) and postseason TDs (22). Receptions (1,549), consecutive games with a reception (274), receptions in Super Bowls (33) and postseason receptions (151). Receiving yards (22,895), receiving yards in a season (1,848), receiving yards in Super Bowls (589), receiving yards in a Super Bowl (215), postseason receiving yards (2,245) and seasons with at least 1,000 yards receiving (14).

Rice averaged 1,145 yards and 10 touchdowns-- for 20 seasons.

Per ESPN..

carter08
02-08-2010, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Remember, there's a difference between "better" and "greater."

Until a couple years ago Dan Marino owned every major passing record in the NFL. Both season and career. Johnny U and Joe Cool were still considered "greater" QB's, though.

Agree. Emmitt has a case for being the greatest RB, but in terms of skills he is behind Payton, Brown, Sayers, Sanders, and probably a couple more.

NateDawg39
02-08-2010, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Keith7
Barry Sanders was better than both so there goes both of your arguements Why do you think he was better?

Farmersfan
02-08-2010, 09:45 AM

Jim Brown had more impressive numbers than any of the other 4 RBs. Not only did he only play 9 seasons but he played 30 fewer games in those nine season. His first 4 years the NFL only played 12 games and then they went to 14 games the last 5 seasons.

1. Jim Brown=104 YPG in 118 games. 5.2 per carrry
2. Barry Sanders=100 YPG in 153 games. 5.0 per carry
3. Walter Payton=88 YPG in 190 games. 4.4 per carry
4. Emmitt Smith=81 YPG in 226 games. 4.2 per carry

How much better would the OTHER 3 RB's look if they had played on the Dallas team that Emmitt played on??

Pick6
02-08-2010, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan

How much better would the OTHER 3 RB's look if they had played on the Dallas team that Emmitt played on??

That's one of the dumbest questions ever that people ask. It's like asking how many more points would Dallas have beaten the Colts by in the Super Bowl if they played them since Dallas beat New Orleans. It's irrelevant. Stick with facts, I know that's hard for FF, not what ifs.

Bearkat
02-08-2010, 10:41 AM
I have no problem saying that Sweetness was better than Emmitt. Just for Emmitt to be compared to Walter is a huge accomplishment for him. Walter was faster than Emmitt, but after that, they are almost identical. Both could run through you, both could run around you, both could make you miss. Both could block, catch, and both were 4 down backs. This is why these two are the best!!!

As for Barry Sanders, not even close. Give all the stats you want about average yards per carry. Complain that he played on a Lions team that wasn't as good as the team that Emmitt played on. I've heard all the bull crap excuses. If a RB has to come out of the game on 3rd or 4th and short or on the goal line he's not a complete back. Don't get me wrong, Barry was good. He just wasn't as good as Sweetness or Emmitt.

Congrats to Emmitt, the ALL-TIME LEADING RUSHER, and to all the other HOF inductee's. Very deserving ending to great careers!

NateDawg39
02-08-2010, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Pick6
That's one of the dumbest questions ever that people ask. It's like asking how many more points would Dallas have beaten the Colts by in the Super Bowl if they played them since Dallas beat New Orleans. It's irrelevant. Stick with facts, I know that's hard for FF, not what ifs. Actually it is a pretty good question. You just won't admit that some running backs would have been better elsewhere in the NFL :p

Bearkat
02-08-2010, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
Actually it is a pretty good question. You just won't admit that some running backs would have been better elsewhere in the NFL :p

It's not that it's really that bad of a question. It's just a terrible argument. You can't play the what if game. What if Joe Montana played for the Detroit Lions last year? Would he still be one of the best? What if Tom Brady did not play for the Patriots? Would he be a highly rated QB? You can't play the what if game when comparing players.

NateDawg39
02-08-2010, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Bearkat
It's not that it's really that bad of a question. It's just a terrible argument. You can't play the what if game. What if Joe Montana played for the Detroit Lions last year? Would he still be one of the best? What if Tom Brady did not play for the Patriots? Would he be a highly rated QB? You can't play the what if game when comparing players. Im gonna play and you cant stop me! :p

Farmersfan
02-08-2010, 12:31 PM
It's not that it's really that bad of a question. It's just a terrible argument. You can't play the what if game. What if Joe Montana played for the Detroit Lions last year? Would he still be one of the best? What if Tom Brady did not play for the Patriots? Would he be a highly rated QB? You can't play the what if game when comparing players.

If you are looking for the BEST RB of all times then you must play the "What-If" game.

Pick6
02-08-2010, 12:46 PM
If you are looking for the BEST RB of all times then you must play the "What-If" game.

Blair Thomas or Timmy Smith could of been the best RB ever if you play the "what-if" game :rolleyes:

Farmersfan
02-08-2010, 12:56 PM
Blair Thomas or Timmy Smith could of been the best RB ever if you play the "what-if" game :rolleyes:

But they don't also have the "FACTS" to go along with it!!!!!!
We can find which RB put up the best career numbers and even break it down to per season, per game or per minute played if that's your criteria. But to find the BEST you have to put them all on as level a playing feild as possible. Emmitt played most of his career on a Superbowl contender and Barry Sanders didn't play a single season on a real contender. So that "What-If" should led an intelligent person to realize how much more impressive Sander's numbers are. But we aren't dealing with an intelligent person, we are dealing with Pick6!!!!! :D

eagles_victory
02-08-2010, 01:02 PM
You can't play the what if game but if you think Emmitt's offensive line didn't have something to do with his success your crazy. Emmitt may have been the most complete back of all time and be numberwise the greatest (partially a product of how long he played) but to me to determine the best you have to look at the eye test. Best player is determined by watching guys careers and who you saw with your eyes as the best player imo.

Pick6
02-08-2010, 01:15 PM
But they don't also have the "FACTS" to go along with it!!!!!!
We can find which RB put up the best career numbers and even break it down to per season, per game or per minute played if that's your criteria. But to find the BEST you have to put them all on as level a playing feild as possible. Emmitt played most of his career on a Superbowl contender and Barry Sanders didn't play a single season on a real contender. So that "What-If" should led an intelligent person to realize how much more impressive Sander's numbers are. But we aren't dealing with an intelligent person, we are dealing with Pick6!!!!! :D

Emmitt made his team a playoff contender. Did Barry? How good was Emmitt's back ups when he missed games. Isn't Dallas the only team to win a Super Bowl after starting 0-2? Who sat out the 2 games? Which one are you Lloyd or Harry? You're probably the 3rd one, the one with est on the end.

Farmersfan
02-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
You can't play the what if game but if you think Emmitt's offensive line didn't have something to do with his success your crazy. Emmitt may have been the most complete back of all time and be numberwise the greatest (partially a product of how long he played) but to me to determine the best you have to look at the eye test. Best player is determined by watching guys careers and who you saw with your eyes as the best player imo.

If you are not able to get past your Cowboy colored glasses then the "eye test" doesn't work either!

Just because a man sets a record for the marathon does not make him the fastest man alive!

eagles_victory
02-08-2010, 01:18 PM
If you are not able to get past your Cowboy colored glasses then the "eye test" doesn't work either!

Just because a man sets a record for the marathon does not make him the fastest man alive! You are so right there lol. I am a huge Cowboys fan but I dont think Emmitt is the best by any means.

Pick6
02-08-2010, 01:23 PM

Just because a man sets a record for the marathon does not make him the fastest man alive!

A marathon isn't about speed, but the one that wins the most marathons, is the Greatest Marathon runner.

Farmersfan
02-08-2010, 01:27 PM
Emmitt made his team a playoff contender. Did Barry? How good was Emmitt's back ups when he missed games. Isn't Dallas the only team to win a Super Bowl after starting 0-2? Who sat out the 2 games? Which one are you Lloyd or Harry? You're probably the 3rd one, the one with est on the end.

So you are claiming that Emmitt makes the 89' through 98' Detroit Lions superbowl contenders? And Emmitt would have single handedly made probably 10 of his teammates first ballot Hall Of Famers if he had played in Detroit?????

Farmersfan
02-08-2010, 01:46 PM
A marathon isn't about speed, but the one that wins the most marathons, is the Greatest Marathon runner.

And the RB position isn't all about total numbers! If Sanders, Payton, or Jim Brown finish the marathon they blow Emmitt out of the water!!!!!!!!!!!

Farmersfan
02-08-2010, 01:46 PM
And the RB position isn't all about total numbers! If Sanders, Payton, or Jim Brown finish the marathon they blow Emmitt out of the water!!!!!!!!!!!

And Barry Sanders ran the dang thing barefooted!!!!!!

Txbroadcaster
02-08-2010, 02:31 PM
So you are claiming that Emmitt makes the 89' through 98' Detroit Lions superbowl contenders? And Emmitt would have single handedly made probably 10 of his teammates first ballot Hall Of Famers if he had played in Detroit?????

please name the 10 first ballot HOF on those Cowboy offenses?

for all the talk about that amazing Oline

Nate Newton and Mark Tunei were SCRUBS until Emmitt started running behind them..then they became pro bowlers..that is 2/5 of your line right there that until Smith were average to below average players

Larry Allen and Erick Williams were the only "highly regarded" OL coming into the league and even both of them were not high draft picks

The center position had Step, then Ray Donaldson..both solid..but they won their last SB with friggin Frank Cornish as the starting center...he was by no means a stud

John Hesek and Kevin Gogan were on the line at one time..again both solid, but not great

I think alot of people think that during his run he had the same Oline the whole time and there is nothing further from that truth. He ran great behind great lines and ran great behind bad lines

Bearkat
02-08-2010, 02:42 PM

The key is finishing the game or marathon in this matter. Jim Brown and Barry Sanders didn't finish the marathon. They quit the marathon. Are you saying someone that quit is the best? If they didn't want it bad enough then they don't deserve it. Emmitt wanted it!!! He finished the marathon.

NateDawg39
02-08-2010, 02:42 PM
Basically, Emmit Smith is the NFL all time leading rusher. He had amazing numbers and style. When he came into the League he had no style, was considered under sized for the position and they didn't think he was fast enough.

eagles_victory
02-08-2010, 03:54 PM
The key is finishing the game or marathon in this matter. Jim Brown and Barry Sanders didn't finish the marathon. They quit the marathon. Are you saying someone that quit is the best? If they didn't want it bad enough then they don't deserve it. Emmitt wanted it!!! He finished the marathon. Guys had other interest outside of football and pursued them. Im not going to hold that against them.

coach
02-08-2010, 03:59 PM
just compare emitts tds against barry's

Pick6
02-08-2010, 04:03 PM
I guess Michael Irvin is better than Jerry Rice. He was injured and had to retire early. Just imagine "what if" he had stayed healthy.

coach
02-08-2010, 04:05 PM
I guess Michael Irvin is better than Jerry Rice. He was injured and had to retire early. Just imagine "what if" he had stayed healthy.

i do believe Mike is the most underrated player to ever pay thegame

eagles_victory
02-08-2010, 04:12 PM
emmitt has more yards, touchdowns, superbowls....pretty much more everything... Is Ferdinand Lewis Alcindor the greatest player in the NBA?

BullsFan
02-08-2010, 04:15 PM
i do believe Mike is the most underrated player to ever pay thegame

I think his personal troubles overshadow his professional accomplishments in some peoples' eyes, which is IMO a real shame.

coach
02-08-2010, 04:16 PM
Is Ferdinand Lewis Alcindor the greatest player in the NBA?

no bc jordan had other interest...if barry was the greatest then how could he not lead his teams to wins

eagles_victory
02-08-2010, 04:18 PM
no bc jordan had other interest...if barry was the greatest then how could he not lead his teams to wins We all know you can't judge a running back by wins and losses were there any better running backs in the state than Adrian Peterson his senior year at Palestine?

coach
02-08-2010, 04:23 PM
walter peyton lead his team, jim brown lead his team, emmitt lead his team in college an hs...the fact of the matter is barry can ooohh and aahhhh but everytime somone tries to prove hes the greatest they point at the team around him blah blah blah....he hardly ever scored td's....he cnt pass block, wasnt that great of a receiver...yea he can make you miss but emmitt was a better all around back

Txbroadcaster
02-08-2010, 04:45 PM
We all know you can't judge a running back by wins and losses were there any better running backs in the state than Adrian Peterson his senior year at Palestine?

Why is it we can judge a QB by wins and losses but not a RB or in fact any other position. I have just never understood the argument that titles makes a QB great, but with other positions that is not as important.

big daddy russ
02-08-2010, 06:36 PM
That's one of the dumbest questions ever that people ask. It's like asking how many more points would Dallas have beaten the Colts by in the Super Bowl if they played them since Dallas beat New Orleans. It's irrelevant. Stick with facts, I know that's hard for FF, not what ifs.
It's a valid question IMO. Otherwise, people would be saying that Mercury Morris (5.1 ypc) is a greater back than Earl Campbell (4.3 ypc).

Bull's-eye
02-09-2010, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

Nate Newton and Mark Tunei were SCRUBS until Emmitt started running behind them..then they became pro bowlers..that is 2/5 of your line right there that until Smith were average to below average players

Larry Allen and Erick Williams were the only "highly regarded" OL coming into the league and even both of them were not high draft picks

The center position had Step, then Ray Donaldson..both solid..but they won their last SB with friggin Frank Cornish as the starting center...he was by no means a stud

John Hesek and Kevin Gogan were on the line at one time..again both solid, but not great

I think alot of people think that during his run he had the same Oline the whole time and there is nothing further from that truth. He ran great behind great lines and ran great behind bad lines

:clap: :clap: :clap: Can't agree more! Most people are misinformed about the quality of Emmitt's O-line and wrongly discount his accomplishments. I don't know how many times I have heard people say that Emmitt wouldn't of been that good if not for those great lines. Funny, how Nate "the Kitchen" Newton was made fun of before Emmitt came along. The truth is that Emmitt brought notoriety to his line and they were rewarded for his accomplishments. When Emmitt won those rushing titles, his lineman usually got voted to the Pro Bowl. I'm sure there were probably some better lineman in the NFL, but they didn't block for the league's lead leading rusher. Don't get me wrong, there were some very good blockers like Larry Allen and Erik Williams (before his injuries), but people saying Emmitt had the advantage of better lines is false.

I don't know if Emmitt Smith was the best runner of all-time, but facts state he was the best at getting the most yards. Jim Brown was a hoss and had a better yards per rush average, but he also played in a different era. Barry Sanders was one of the most exciting and Walter Payton was just sweetness. Earl Campbell was probably the most punishing runner ever, but that style of running doesn't make for a long career.

Bearkat
02-09-2010, 09:42 AM
Guys had other interest outside of football and pursued them. Im not going to hold that against them.

You don't have to hold that against them. They quit, therefore they didn't have the career that Emmitt did. Let's say Jim Brown didn't quit the game of football. Does that mean he continues on the same pace for his entire career? Of course not. No one knows what would have happened if he continued to play. He may have faltered or been bitten by the injury bug. Or, he may have set the rushing record so high that no one on earth could catch him. But guess what, he didn't. He quit the game. The same can be said for Barry Sanders. So what we have is the best, all-around, running back to ever play the game. His name, Emmitt Smith.

Mace Griffin
02-09-2010, 10:59 AM
walter peyton lead his team, jim brown lead his team, emmitt lead his team in college an hs...the fact of the matter is barry can ooohh and aahhhh but everytime somone tries to prove hes the greatest they point at the team around him blah blah blah....he hardly ever scored td's....he cnt pass block, wasnt that great of a receiver...yea he can make you miss but emmitt was a better all around back Barry was a better reciever than Emmitt. Barry averaged 292 yards a season recieving and Emmitt averaged 214. Emmitt caught 1 more touchdown and he played 5 more seasons than Barry. He averaged more yards per catch and his best season recieving was better than Emmitt's. Emmitt averaged 1 more rushing touchdown per season than Barry so its not like Emmitt was that much more superior scoring touchdowns.

BILLYFRED0000
02-09-2010, 11:12 AM

I will play what if but you must consider the other side of the coin. The defense changed in size and speed. Only Sweetness comes close to the D's that emmit faced regularly. Jim Brown never saw the Bear Defense or the complicated blitzing schemes that hit a guy in the back field with a safety the size of linebackers that he saw. So on the what if page I still give the edge to sweetness and Emmit. I discount Barry because he was exciting but undisciplined. Sometimes you have to put your head down and take no yards or one yard instead of -12.

Farmersfan
02-10-2010, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
I will play what if but you must consider the other side of the coin. The defense changed in size and speed. Only Sweetness comes close to the D's that emmit faced regularly. Jim Brown never saw the Bear Defense or the complicated blitzing schemes that hit a guy in the back field with a safety the size of linebackers that he saw. So on the what if page I still give the edge to sweetness and Emmit. I discount Barry because he was exciting but undisciplined. Sometimes you have to put your head down and take no yards or one yard instead of -12.

Great athletes are great athletes regardless of what era they grow up in. Jim Brown did not have near the advantages that a modern athlete had. Brown had to actually work to support his family all through high school and college and even in the NFL. He never had personal trainers that were knowledgable in all the modern training techniques and he didn't have anything to do with nutritionists and suppliments like the modern athletes. The athletes today are bigger and stronger for sure. But it isn't becuase "HUMANS" are bigger and stronger now! It's because they develope the size and speed through modern techniques in training and nutrition. Jim Brown didn't have access to this! It's all relative. With modern training methods and nutrition I think Jim Brown would have been more like a Bo Jackson. BTW: Jo Jackson was the greatest athlete to ever play in the NFL. His greatness was cut short by injuries which of course is all part the package.

BILLYFRED0000
02-10-2010, 10:33 AM
Great athletes are great athletes regardless of what era they grow up in. Jim Brown did not have near the advantages that a modern athlete had. Brown had to actually work to support his family all through high school and college and even in the NFL. He never had personal trainers that were knowledgable in all the modern training techniques and he didn't have anything to do with nutritionists and suppliments like the modern athletes. The athletes today are bigger and stronger for sure. But it isn't becuase "HUMANS" are bigger and stronger now! It's because they develope the size and speed through modern techniques in training and nutrition. Jim Brown didn't have access to this! It's all relative. With modern training methods and nutrition I think Jim Brown would have been more like a Bo Jackson. BTW: Jo Jackson was the greatest athlete to ever play in the NFL. His greatness was cut short by injuries which of course is all part the package.

Yes but that is a wash because the guys he competed against had the same issues and the same access. Now I do believe that Jim would have been bigger and better trained but his style of running served him well. the point is that no matter how improved he might have been the change on the defensive side of the game involves more than size and speed but also entails a more and better defenses against the run because of the over all speed of the game. Jim would improve some. but the Defenses top to bottom improved much more since his day.

GreenMonster
02-10-2010, 11:25 AM
Emmitt wasn't the best to play his position, Sweetness was, and i am a huge Cowboys fan I don't know that we can actually tab a "Greatest" running back of all-time. There are just too many that suffered catastrophic injury to be able to actually tab someone with that label. Payton was good, but Emmitt has better numbers. If you go on numbers alone then Emmitt wins. Pure talent....Barry Sanders. Heart and soul....Payton. There are plenty of others that were great in their own right, Billy Sims, Eric Dickerson, Gale Sayers, Roger Craig, Marcus Allen, LT, Thurman Thomas, Red Grange we can sit here and rattle off plenty of great running backs that all could stake a claim at being the best ever because they were the best of their era how ever short their era was. There is just no way to lock down 1 guy as the G.O.A.T.

Farmersfan
02-10-2010, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
Yes but that is a wash because the guys he competed against had the same issues and the same access. Now I do believe that Jim would have been bigger and better trained but his style of running served him well. the point is that no matter how improved he might have been the change on the defensive side of the game involves more than size and speed but also entails a more and better defenses against the run because of the over all speed of the game. Jim would improve some. but the Defenses top to bottom improved much more since his day.

For every improvement to the defenses over the years there are at least equal improvements to the offenses. Jim Brown didn't run over D-linemen in his day and he wouldn't do it today either. Jim Brown did run over D-backs that he outweighed and he would also do it today if he had been privy to the same training throughout his early career. Jim Brown played at about 230lbs which made him one of the biggest RBs of his day. If he had access to modern training and nutrition there is no doubt he would play now as one of the biggest in the NFL. With his heart he would make Jacobs from New York look like a pansy!
Of course there is no way to prove this so it is just an opinion. But logic would tell us that ALL aspects of the game would evolve in equal proportions. NOT JUST DEFENSES!

Farmersfan
02-10-2010, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

I know writers and other football people aren't as smart as you are but here is what ArmchairGM.com voted as the #5 best offensive lines of ALL TIMES.

Dallas Cowboys-Mark Stepnoski, Nate Newton, Mark Tuinei, Erik Williams, Larry Allen…1992-96…As a unit they combined for 30 Pro Bowls, three Super Bowl wins, and they paved the road for arguably the best running back in league history. Emmitt Smith, Troy Aikman, and Michael Irvin are all HOF players, with Smith still to receive the inevitable bronze bust, and the flash behind the Cowboys’ Super Bowl tear. But their success was predicated on an offensive line that destroyed opposing defenses. Larry Allen may eventually wind up in the Hall and Williams was the best right tackle of his era. Newton was the affable funny man, Tuinei the scholar, and Stepnoski the rock. Together they were the best such unit of their, or perhaps any, era.

Just like the Romo argument you always try to diminish the OTHER players around the one you are arguing in favor of in order to make your point. Emmitt played on a very, very talented team for most of his career. Barry didn't!

Txbroadcaster
02-10-2010, 03:31 PM
I know writers and other football people aren't as smart as you are but here is what ArmchairGM.com voted as the #5 best offensive lines of ALL TIMES.

Dallas Cowboys-Mark Stepnoski, Nate Newton, Mark Tuinei, Erik Williams, Larry Allen…1992-96…As a unit they combined for 30 Pro Bowls, three Super Bowl wins, and they paved the road for arguably the best running back in league history. Emmitt Smith, Troy Aikman, and Michael Irvin are all HOF players, with Smith still to receive the inevitable bronze bust, and the flash behind the Cowboys’ Super Bowl tear. But their success was predicated on an offensive line that destroyed opposing defenses. Larry Allen may eventually wind up in the Hall and Williams was the best right tackle of his era. Newton was the affable funny man, Tuinei the scholar, and Stepnoski the rock. Together they were the best such unit of their, or perhaps any, era.

Just like the Romo argument you always try to diminish the OTHER players around the one you are arguing in favor of in order to make your point. Emmitt played on a very, very talented team for most of his career. Barry didn't!

how am I dimiishing anyone? Nate Newton and Mark Tunie Both were NOT considered top notch OL until after Emmitt got there..that not trashing them, it is TRUTH.

There style of blocking was being big and going straight forward..that does not work with a RB that dances around in the backfield..they have to have a RB that picks a lane and goes quickly. That is why they became so dominating once Emmitt was running behind them

btw that site is user content not experts

Also Allen was not there in 92 or 93..he was drafted in 94 Gesek and Gogan started 92 and 93

Step was not there in 95 and 96

So for the site to list those as the the OL from 92-96 is wrong

TheDOCTORdre
02-10-2010, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
:clap: :clap: :clap: Can't agree more! Most people are misinformed about the quality of Emmitt's O-line and wrongly discount his accomplishments. I don't know how many times I have heard people say that Emmitt wouldn't of been that good if not for those great lines. Funny, how Nate "the Kitchen" Newton was made fun of before Emmitt came along. The truth is that Emmitt brought notoriety to his line and they were rewarded for his accomplishments. When Emmitt won those rushing titles, his lineman usually got voted to the Pro Bowl. I'm sure there were probably some better lineman in the NFL, but they didn't block for the league's lead leading rusher. Don't get me wrong, there were some very good blockers like Larry Allen and Erik Williams (before his injuries), but people saying Emmitt had the advantage of better lines is false.

I don't know if Emmitt Smith was the best runner of all-time, but facts state he was the best at getting the most yards. Jim Brown was a hoss and had a better yards per rush average, but he also played in a different era. Barry Sanders was one of the most exciting and Walter Payton was just sweetness. Earl Campbell was probably the most punishing runner ever, but that style of running doesn't make for a long career.

can someone name the anyone of the line that sweetness ran behind? and how many pro bowls they went too?

TheDOCTORdre
02-10-2010, 03:50 PM
You don't have to hold that against them. They quit, therefore they didn't have the career that Emmitt did. Let's say Jim Brown didn't quit the game of football. Does that mean he continues on the same pace for his entire career? Of course not. No one knows what would have happened if he continued to play. He may have faltered or been bitten by the injury bug. Or, he may have set the rushing record so high that no one on earth could catch him. But guess what, he didn't. He quit the game. The same can be said for Barry Sanders. So what we have is the best, all-around, running back to ever play the game. His name, Emmitt Smith.

nice post up until the last two words, I believe you meant to type Walter Payton