PDA

View Full Version : What do you consider as your favorite and most important super bowls?

PhiI C
02-06-2010, 11:49 AM
Since tomorrow is Super Bowl 44 I thought we could list ours. It doesn't necessarily mean the most enjoyable which is a factor (or else I would have listed all 5 Dallas wins and none of their losses) but also what you think are important. There have been great close games I haven't even listed even though they were great. Please list yours because everyone has an opinion and it is good to share ideas agreeably. Below are my top 10 and they aren't necessarily in order of preference.

1. Super Bowl 30 1966 Dallas over Pittsburgh 27 to 17. This was a close one that Dallas didn't cinch until the last few minutes when Dallas put it away thanks to MVP Larry Brown's last interception. It is actually a favorite of mine because Dallas finally won a close super bowl game. The three they had lost were close games but one finally went their way as far as close super bowl games.

2. Super Bowl 6 1972 Dallas over Miami 24 to 3. Also a favorate because Dallas finally won a Super Bowl and were NFL champions after many years of frustration for Dallas fans.

3. Super Bowl 7 1972 Miami 14 Washington 7. Not really a great game but important because the Dolphins became the first team to have a perfect season record including all regular season and playoff games.

4. Super Bowl 12 1978 Dallas over Denver 27 to 10. Denver was led by former Dallas Cowboy QB Craig Morton. What is extra significant is that for the first and only time two players tied for MVP which were DL Randy White and Havey Martin. Both played great defense. I always felt it should have been a three way tie and included Ed "To Tall" Jones because even though he didn't get the tackles and sacks he had a lot of hurries and played great.

5. Super Bowl 3 1969 NY Jets over Baltimore 16 to 7. This was a surprise and very important because the old AFL had arrived.

6. Super Bowl 1 1967 Green Bay over Kansas City 35 to 10. Not a great game that was completely dominated by the Packers but it is listed because it was the first one.

7. Super Bowl 6 1971 Baltimore over Dallas 16 to 13. Not a well played game with both teams making mistakes. But it is listed because Dallas LB Chuck Howley was voted MVP and is the only player from a losing super bowl team to win it. He was voted it with about two minutes left to play. Dallas lost the game in the last minutes when LB Mike Curtis intercepted a pass and ran it back to set up Baltimore's winning field goal. Probably had they waited till the game was over he would most likely have won the MVP. It was a game of mistakes and Dallas made the last one plain and simple.

8. Super Bowl 4 1970 Kansas City over Minnesota 23 to 7. This is listed because it reafirmed that the AFL had arrived. See #5.

9. Super Bowl 27 1993 Dallas over Buffalo 52 to 17. This is a favorite because Dallas had endured a drought from being a good team and even had a one win season.

10. Super Bowl 42 2008 NY Giants 17 New England Patriots 14. This is important because the Patriots had a chance for an important legend in being the second team to have a perfect record. Baltimore and New Orleans had a chance this year but didn't make it. Baltimore because they didn't try and New Orleans because they were whipped by the Cowboys. If Baltimore wins tomorrow the question that will always be asked is if they because of a bad attitude denied themselves a chance to have a perfect record. They lost their last two games because they pulled starters out of the Jets game and then didn't play great against a not so good Buffalo team.

Well there is mine. How about yours?

Maroon87
02-06-2010, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by PhiI C

9. Super Bowl 27 1993 Dallas over Buffalo 52 to 17. This is a favorite because Dallas had endured a drought from being a good team and even had a one win season.

This one is my favorite...worst to first in only 3 years.:cool:

bwdlionfan
02-06-2010, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
This one is my favorite...worst to first in only 3 years.:cool:

Is my favorite too, I was 9 years old and it's the first Cowboys championship I was able to watch.

PhiI C
02-06-2010, 02:02 PM
Hey Maroon and bwd I always felt that Dallas would have got a 4th Super Bowl if we had been under the system that the 49ers were in the 80s, the Steelers of the 70s and the Packers of the 60s. While Dallas was on top they started free agency and teams took advantage to go after our free agents. You couldn't blame them for going for the money but most didn't do too well after they left Dallas. Some include good ones like Tony Casillas, Russell Maryland, Ken Norton Jr., Larry Brown, etc. The NY Giants even made a second team Dallas OL a millionaire at that time and he didn't do too well there. Still if Dallas had been able to keep them I think they would have got at least one more super bowl that decade. Maybe even two.

skins4life
02-06-2010, 02:32 PM
Super Bowl XVII

This is my favorite mainly because it was the 'Skins first win but also, because I got to see the John "The Diesel" Riggins run through the Dolphin's defense on the fourth down for the touchdown to seal the game.

Super Bowl XXII

This one because they were down by 10 going into the 2nd quarter after looking like they were going to get smoked and then scored an unanswered 42 points to demoralize the Broncos for the second straight year by the NFC East.

Bull's-eye
02-07-2010, 01:14 AM
All the Dallas victories were great, but Super Bowl 6 & 27 are my favorites. Early on, Dallas was labeled as the team that couldn't win the big game. Just a year earlier in Super Bowl 5, they lost on a late second FG to the Baltimore Colts. Super Bowl 6 finally gave them the big win and got the "monkey" off their backs. Great to see coach Landry win the big one and be carried off the field by his players. I still remember that smile.

Super Bowl 27 was very sweet! The Cowboys had basically hit rock bottom 3 years earlier, so becoming the champs was even more satisfying. I remember getting kidded for wearing a Dallas Cowboy shirt during those lean years, but also being told I must be a true fan. There just wasn't a lot of fans during that 1-15 season, but the bandwagon would soon begin to fill up. The 1992 season was very enjoyable. The Cowboys were up and coming, but not really expected to win it all. Jimmy & Jerry had brought the swagger back to Dallas and probably a year sooner than most would of envisioned.

Bull Butter
02-07-2010, 01:34 AM
Most Important.......
1. Super Bowl III (1969)--- Jets 16 Colts 7--- Showed that the AFL had arrived and was just as good as the NFL
2. Super Bowl VII (1973)--- Dolphins 14 Redskins 7--- Capped Miami's perfect 17-0 season
3. Super Bowl I (1967)---Packers 35 Chiefs 10---the beginning of an experiment that continues some 43 years later

Favorite Super Bowls....

1. Super Bowl XVIII (1984)--- Marcus Allen reverses his field and scores on a 69 yd TD run on the last play of the 3rd Qtr which wins me $250 on a Super Bowl pot:)
2. Super Bowl VI (1972)--- As an 8 year old, I still remember Dallas winning it's first SB by routing the Dolphins
3. Super Bowl XIX (1985)--- The media spent all week hyping Dan Marino and the Dolphins, then Joe Montana and the 49ers went out and laid the wood to Miami