PDA

View Full Version : Why Oklahoma football blows

Twirling Time
02-05-2010, 08:13 AM
I was looking at their 2010 enrollment figures and was struck by this:

Only seven schools in the whole state of Oklahoma is big enough to play 5A football in Texas. And it's seven only because the No. 7 school, Moore, is right at 2,065, which is the bottom of Texas 5A.

The No. 1 school in the state, Broken Arrow, has 3.58 times the enrollment of the smallest 6A school, Shawnee. But in the next class below, 5A, the ratio is only 1.77 from top to bottom. And in 4A, it's even narrower: 1.41. All three classes have 32 member schools. No wonder Union and Jenks dominate year in and year out. They're No. 2 and No. 3 in enrollment respectively.

Unlike Texas 6-man football, which sets the cutoff at a fixed enrollment, Oklahoma 8-man sets its limits numerically by the smallest 76 teams in the state opting for it (up from 72 last year). The largest 8-man school in the state, Depew, is 150 students rounded up, which would put them on the edge of 1A Division I if they played here. Imagine the damage Beckville could do if they pulled three linemen off the field.

Texas has its flaws to be sure, but these are only a few reasons why I think it's superior to Oklahoma. The Sooner State needs to address a few things.

Keith7
02-05-2010, 01:14 PM
yes it blows because it's made up of a lot of would be Texas 3A schools. Great argument to post on a 3A site

cshscougar08
02-05-2010, 02:43 PM
I agree that Oklahoma high school football has its flaws, but when it comes to classes, especially at the top, there isn't much to do. Broken Arrow, the biggest in Oklahoma, is on par with the Plano schools. Not quite as big, but very close to it. So you say get rid of 6A. Well that makes the enrollment gap only bigger. And you can't move schools up to 6A because of the same reason. All the 6A schools are either in Tulsa or OKC or in fairly large towns that only have one high school such as Bartlesville and Ponca City. There isn't a lot to do with this one. Oklahoma is not a big state population wise. Norman, when students are at school, is the third biggest city behind OKC and Tulsa at about 100,000 people. Oklahoma is mainly made up of a lot of smaller towns, thus the closer enrollment numbers in 2A, 3A, and 4A. There isn't much to do with it. Just be thankful that Texas has a good system in place. Plus, there are a lot of places that are a heck of a lot weirder than Oklahoma.

waterboy
02-05-2010, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
Just be thankful that Texas has a good system in place. Plus, there are a lot of places that are a heck of a lot weirder than Oklahoma.
:clap: Amen!:clap:

LH Panther Mom
02-05-2010, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
Plus, there are a lot of places that are a heck of a lot weirder than Oklahoma.
Yeah, Arkansas! :D

lvbears32
02-05-2010, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Yeah, Arkansas! :D

theres alot more things wrong in arkansas besides football

LH Panther Mom
02-05-2010, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by lvbears32
theres alot more things wrong in arkansas besides football
You're telling me! I have relatives there! :1omg!: :1omg!: :speech:

lvbears32
02-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
You're telling me! I have relatives there! :1omg!: :1omg!: :speech:

i drove threw there a few years back and refused to stop

CelinaCatFan
02-05-2010, 09:32 PM
On the next Jerry Springer Show...

Arkansas Hillbillies' Reunion

bwdlionfan
02-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
yes it blows because it's made up of a lot of would be Texas 3A schools. Great argument to post on a 3A site

That isn't even the context of what he was referring to. God, you have to turn EVERYTHING in to something negative. I've never heard anyone as pessimistic as you are. Did your elders not ever hug you growing up? Seriously, what's your deal?

LE Dad
02-05-2010, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by lvbears32
theres alot more things wrong in arkansas besides football Arkansas football is waaaaaaaaaaaay better than Oklahoma football. It is not even close.:p None of the regional Okie teams will even play Texarkana teams or any good Arkansas teams. They play each other and a few weak Arkie teams. I agree both are screwed up states, but when it comes to football Arkie kicks Okies arse.:D

emacppbcat4life
02-06-2010, 01:51 AM
oklahoma is alot...i mean alot smaller than texas thats why they do this, u may not agree with how they do things but its really the only way to go they have an extremely low population compared to the great state of texas and alot of very small schools, there is nothing they can do about it and it looks stupid for us texans to make fun of them for it. The state of oklahoma has a population of 3.5 million or so, the north texas area has a population of 6 million just to put it in perspective for u.

Keith7
02-06-2010, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
That isn't even the context of what he was referring to. God, you have to turn EVERYTHING in to something negative. I've never heard anyone as pessimistic as you are. Did your elders not ever hug you growing up? Seriously, what's your deal?

waa waa waa.. It only upsets you because I'm right.

charlesrixey
02-06-2010, 09:04 AM
oklahoma is just smaller and the towns are of much smaller sizes, on average. They have a large WT-type area to the west (lots of 3A-smallerish towns with only 1 or 2 5A-6A schools and they don't have enough smal suburbs to balance it near the cities.

It probably would be better for them to cut it to four 11-man classes and have more than 32 in each class, except for leaving the top class with roughly the ratio now.

bwdlionfan
02-06-2010, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
waa waa waa.. It only upsets you because I'm right.

I never said you were wrong. Yes Oklahoma is loaded with smaller schools, congratulations you're a genius. You're also an immature, pompous, pitiful excuse for a being. Have you not realized that no one on this board appreciates your presence? I'd think you would catch on, and either change your style or leave. Then again, you probably don't care.

carter08
02-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Union and Jenks are always pretty good teams.