PDA

View Full Version : This is Ridiculous!!!! 13 year old QB from Delaware Verbally committed to USC Today.

sandmaster
02-05-2010, 12:45 AM
Sills, 13, commits to USC

Lane Kiffin really is getting a jump on recruiting.

No sooner had the Trojans new coach put the finishing touches on the Class of 2010 recruits, that he turned his attention to the Class of 2014.

That's right, 2014.

Thursday evening Kiffin received a verbal commitment from 13-year old wunderkind quarterback David Sills of Bear County, Del..

Too young?

Not according to his personal coach Steve Clarkson, who has mentored some of the game's best quarterbacks including current USC starter Matt Barkley.

"His skill set is off the chart," Clarkson said. "I've never seen anyone at his age do what he's been able to do."

The commitment, which was first reported by ESPN's Shelley Smith, has happened in college basketball previously, but is unprecedented for college football where it's harder to project how a player as young as Sills will develop physically. Clarkson says that won't be a problem.

"He's already six feet as a 13-year old," Clarkson said. "And he's breaking down NFL footage."

Clarkson said the scholarship offer emerged after he called Kiffin to discuss a quarterback recruit for next year's class.

Clarkson said that Kiffin asked him his opinion of the recruit and Clarkson said, "You might call me crazy, but you've known me a long time, right? And when I said if there was going to be a LeBron James of football it'd be Jimmy Clausen that turned out to be a pretty good prediction.

"And when I said Matt Barkley had the potential to be as good as Jimmy, he ended up winning Gatorade Player of the Year as a junior and starting at USC as a freshman, right?

"Well, I've got a kid now who is better than all of them and he's in Delaware. You gotta take a look at him."

Clarkson then directed Kiffin to a video of Sills that has slowly making the rounds on YouTube.

Kiffin watched it and called him back immediately.

"He was like, 'This kid is incredible. How old is he again?'

"I was like, 'That's the problem, he's 13.' "

A couple of hours later, the Sills family called Kiffin and they spoke for the first time. USC had always been Sills' dream school, according to his father, David Sills IV.

"I'm as shocked as anybody," Sillis' father said. "I was just talking with friends yesterday about what it'll be like four years from now when David goes through the recruiting process. I never expected this to happen so soon.

"But David's always wanted to go to USC. I mean, is there a better place to play football in the country? How can you pass up the best offer you're ever going to get?"

The younger Sills, who is an eighth-grader at Red Lion Christian Academy in Bear County, has been training with Clarkson for three years. They meet about once every six weeks at various locations around the country. Sometimes in California, where Clarkson is based. Sometimes in Delaware. And sometimes somewhere in the middle, if Clarkson is conducting a clinic.

"Steve and David hit it off immediately," David Sills IV said. "If there's ever anything David is doing wrong, Steve can fix it in like 10 minutes."

Still, 2014 is a long time from now. A lot can change.

"Well, we're going to be out to California in a few weeks and we'll meet Lane then," Sills' father said. "We're excited to meet him. And we're excited to verbally commit. Hopefully it all works out in the future.

Who else agrees that this is crazy? The kid has never played a down of high school football yet and he is already committed to USC.

K-MAC Chuck
02-05-2010, 12:48 AM
what's the source of this story? just curious..

sandmaster
02-05-2010, 01:04 AM
here is a link to the page. http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/news/story?id=4888515

sandmaster
02-05-2010, 01:05 AM
Ramona Shelburne is a reporter and columnist for ESPNLosAngeles.com

orange machine
02-05-2010, 01:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUb8F8Ltru0

IHStangFan
02-05-2010, 01:16 AM
LOL...what a circus. Good luck USC....w/ Kiffin at the wheel, you're gonna need it in more ways than one.

eagles_victory
02-05-2010, 01:49 AM
Whatever happened to letting a kid be a kid?

Why is this guy bragging about predicting Jimmy Clausen as the Lebron James of football? I dont think he was even close on that one.

coach
02-05-2010, 03:05 AM
we ahve a qb on the board thats better than him

BHBrave08
02-05-2010, 03:50 AM
In all honesty the kid looks very good. but at the same time he is what 14 maybe 15... what changes in those 3 or 4 years.. a lot. He may become much better but then again many may excel over him. this is just an unpredictable guess by Kiffin really. odd....

Old Tiger
02-05-2010, 06:09 AM
He pulled the same stunt at Tennessee with Eric Berry's little brother. Kiffin is pathetic and has shown nothing as a head coach.

bobcat4life
02-05-2010, 07:36 AM
this is just crazy....

lvbears32
02-05-2010, 08:13 AM
right here on 3A down low i would like to announce i am verbally committed to texas despite never being contacted by them. my 9 year old little brother will also verbally committ to texas at a news conference at 5:30 today. thank you!

Sweetwater Red
02-05-2010, 08:15 AM
I see some similarities between how this kid
is being handled and Todd Marijuanavich.
Anyone else? :thinking:

Gontex
02-05-2010, 08:39 AM
Looks to me like the makings of a huge egomaniac. Dad must have lots of money for him to be going to all those camps.

gold_33
02-05-2010, 11:42 AM
I thought a college coach wasnt allowed to speak to a recruit until they were a junior in HS?? Anyone know??

NastySlot
02-05-2010, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by gold_33
I thought a college coach wasnt allowed to speak to a recruit until they were a junior in HS?? Anyone know??

i was thinking the same thing.

XtremeCouture
02-05-2010, 12:52 PM
yeah every time i see some 15 year old committing to a college, i think "this is illegal, right?"

Emerson1
02-05-2010, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by XtremeCouture
yeah every time i see some 15 year old committing to a college, i think "this is illegal, right?"
I don't think it's illegal to commit to what college you want to go to

eagles_victory
02-05-2010, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
i was thinking the same thing. Were talking Lane Kiffin here. He hasn't exactly shown much knowledge of college football recruiting rules in the past.

lvbears32
02-05-2010, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Were talking Lane Kiffin here. He hasn't exactly shown much knowledge of college football recruiting rules in the past.

agreed

Ex-Tiger2005
02-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Instead of this kid they need to worry about S. Henderson. Cuz his daddy said he is NOT signing anything until USC goes before the NCAA commitee about all the scandals goin on down there.

crzyjournalist03
02-05-2010, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I don't think it's illegal to commit to what college you want to go to

But the dad's quote referencing accepting an offer from Kiffin...that's where the potential trouble lies.

LE Dad
02-05-2010, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by gold_33
I thought a college coach wasnt allowed to speak to a recruit until they were a junior in HS?? Anyone know?? I heard that this may become common practice as the NCAA really doesn't have alot of guidelines restricting such contact with young players. What I was told is once the kid hits HS is when the NCAA gets involved. From the looks of this maybe they need to get involved sooner.