PDA

View Full Version : High school juniors select college

YTBulldogs
02-04-2010, 12:03 PM
What's the percentage of those who commit as a junior in HS, change their mind after their senior year?

I would think if you committed to a major college, mind changing is less than someone who commits to a D2, then has a great HS senior season, and the D1's now want you.

You are allowed to change your mind?

And what if you commit as a junior, then get hurt your senior HS year---you still have that offer from the college? I assume they can change their mind too based on the injury you sustained?

Sorry for all the questions, but---things I need the know.

gatordaze
02-04-2010, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by YTBulldogs
What's the percentage of those who commit as a junior in HS, change their mind after their senior year?

I would think if you committed to a major college, mind changing is less than someone who commits to a D2, then has a great HS senior season, and the D1's now want you.

You are allowed to change your mind?

And what if you commit as a junior, then get hurt your senior HS year---you still have that offer from the college? I assume they can change their mind too based on the injury you sustained?

Sorry for all the questions, but---things I need the know.

Verbals mean nothing. Only commitment is the LOI signed in Feb of the players Senior year. Change your mind after the LOI and sit a yar unless moving from D1 to D2.

big daddy russ
02-04-2010, 10:15 PM
Until the first Wednesday of February during a player's senior year in HS, any commitment is just a verbal commitment and completely non-binding. It's basically just telling the coach, "Yeah, I'm coming here." The websites like ESPN, Rivals, and Scout will report the commitment, but the player isn't obligated to go there until they sign the papers on the dotted line

Yesterday (first Wed of Feb... also known as NATIONAL SIGNING DAY) was the first time players could actually sign their LETTERS OF INTENT, which is an actual contract between the player, the NCAA, and the school binding that player to that school. Unless the player fails to make the grades to get into the school, they're obligated to that school in athletics for the first year of their college eligibility.

Make sense?

Emerson1
02-04-2010, 10:22 PM
Schools I am pretty sure could rescind and offer because of injury. Depends who the coach is, I know Mack Brown honored an offer for a player couple years back that ended up having a career ending heart condition(I think thats what was wrong)

YTBulldogs
02-04-2010, 10:22 PM
Yup. Thanks.

apache78
02-04-2010, 10:23 PM
I think it is idiotic to go after the juniors. I think send out letters and making contacts, but verbal committments...come on. They can't even committ to taking out the trash and making that stick. I do remember the good tail back from Cuero, don't remember his name, injured his knee in his first scrimmage as a junior. He had already committed verbally to A&M. He played his senior year, but never gained the full potential he had as a fresh. and soph. A&M honored the scholorship, even though he never played. I'm not sure how it goes against their count.

Emerson1
02-04-2010, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by apache78
I think it is idiotic to go after the juniors. I think send out letters and making contacts, but verbal committments...come on. They can't even committ to taking out the trash and making that stick. I do remember the good tail back from Cuero, don't remember his name, injured his knee in his first scrimmage as a junior. He had already committed verbally to A&M. He played his senior year, but never gained the full potential he had as a fresh. and soph. A&M honored the scholorship, even though he never played. I'm not sure how it goes against their count.
Well you have to put your offer out there before someone else does. A player will likely go with the school who had him on their radar from day 1 as opposed to a school coming in late.

NastySlot
02-04-2010, 10:28 PM
i believe this is how Mack was able to pass up RC and the aggies in recruiting.....he went after juniors and was one of the first coaches to do this he was a head of the game and it has paid off