big daddy russ
02-04-2010, 12:01 PM
QB Stump Godfrey- NEW MEXICO STATE
WR Kedon Franklin- NORTHWESTERN
OL Jacob Jenkins- OKLAHOMA STATE
LB Vance Green- COLORADO STATE
DB Braylon Webb- MIZZOU
DB Tristan Holt- MIZZOU

Six division I signees this year, with three going to the Big XII. Anyone know of any Gilmer kids going DII, DIII, or JuCo?

I'm also interested in how many of your senior starters from this team will be playing on Saturdays next year. How many starters graduate on each side of the ball and which ones have received offers?

jason
02-04-2010, 12:05 PM
figured the qb would get picked up by a big time program....

if not as a qb, then at least as an athlete...

big daddy russ
02-04-2010, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by jason
figured the qb would get picked up by a big time program....

if not as a qb, then at least as an athlete...
Some of the Gilmerites were saying that a couple of Big XII schools wanted him as an athlete, but he wanted to play QB.

waterboy
02-04-2010, 12:28 PM
Actually, Kedon Franklin signed with Northwestern State in Louisiana, not the Big 10 school. Mikey Wilson signed with Louisiana College, too. As for Stump, he signed with New Mexico because he wanted to go somewhere where he would have a chance at starting at QB. He felt comfortable at New Mexico, and felt he could make an immediate impact with at least a chance to start.

tdsteele
02-04-2010, 01:30 PM
Godfrey signed with New Mexico, not New Mexico State. He will be a Lobo but not an Aggie.

waterboy
02-04-2010, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by tdsteele
Godfrey signed with New Mexico, not New Mexico State. He will be a Lobo but not an Aggie.
Yeah, I didn't even notice that....:doh:

headhunter
02-04-2010, 04:16 PM
that is a lot of talented kids from one 3A school

poisoned10
02-04-2010, 08:03 PM
Gilmer has has several go D-I in the last 5-6 years.

Manuel Johnson - Oklahoma
Tay Bowser - Mississippi State
Kevin Hollis - Kansas State
GJ Kinne - Texas (transfered to Tulsa)
Curtis Brown - Texas
David Snow - Texas
Justin Johnson - Oklahoma (transfered to Abilene Christian)
Lamar Harris - Oklahoma
Houston Tuminello - Louisiana Tech
Daniel Jenkins - Missouri
Jacob Jenkins - Oklahoma State
Stump Godfrey - New Mexico
Vance Green - Colorado State
Tristan Holt - Missouri
Braylan Webb - Missouri

I think that is everyone. There is a chance I could have missed 1, maybe 2, but that's it. Pretty impressive for a 3A school if you ask me.

buckeyebob
02-05-2010, 06:18 AM
Saw that Tuminello signed with SFA and is transfering...more playing time.

lostaussie
02-05-2010, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by poisoned10
Gilmer has has several go D-I in the last 5-6 years.

Manuel Johnson - Oklahoma
Tay Bowser - Mississippi State
Kevin Hollis - Kansas State
GJ Kinne - Texas (transfered to Tulsa)
Curtis Brown - Texas
David Snow - Texas
Justin Johnson - Oklahoma (transfered to Abilene Christian)
Lamar Harris - Oklahoma
Houston Tuminello - Louisiana Tech
Daniel Jenkins - Missouri
Jacob Jenkins - Oklahoma State
Stump Godfrey - New Mexico
Vance Green - Colorado State
Tristan Holt - Missouri
Braylan Webb - Missouri

I think that is everyone. There is a chance I could have missed 1, maybe 2, but that's it. Pretty impressive for a 3A school if you ask me. Didn't Jamal Kennedy go to SMU?

waterboy
02-05-2010, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by lostaussie
Didn't Jamal Kennedy go to SMU?
Yep. There's also been a number of players that won scholarships to play football at non-D1 schools, and JUCOs. I think Coach Traylor does an excellent job of marketing his players.

jp744
02-05-2010, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
QB Stump Godfrey- NEW MEXICO STATE
WR Kedon Franklin- NORTHWESTERN
OL Jacob Jenkins- OKLAHOMA STATE
LB Vance Green- COLORADO STATE
DB Braylon Webb- MIZZOU
DB Tristan Holt- MIZZOU

Six division I signees this year, with three going to the Big XII. Anyone know of any Gilmer kids going DII, DIII, or JuCo?

I'm also interested in how many of your senior starters from this team will be playing on Saturdays next year. How many starters graduate on each side of the ball and which ones have received offers?

No texas schools. Wow. I hate that all of our talent in texas leaves or actually gets recruited by out of state schools.

bigwood33
02-05-2010, 10:50 AM
I know this isn't a Gilmer question but I thought you folks might know.
Anyone hear how many (and who/where) Carthage kids signed?

waterboy
02-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by bigwood33
I know this isn't a Gilmer question but I thought you folks might know.
Anyone hear how many (and who/where) Carthage kids signed?
I'm copying and pasting a post by buckeyebob in another thread, but this is what he found out:

"Carthage had 16 players sign national letters of intent. Three players — defensive tackle DeShun Williams (Texas State), center Kendrick "Bingo" Henderson (Northwestern State) and right guard Cutter Clinton (Stephen F. Austin State) — are Southland-bound. Defensive ends Tre'Kevian McKee and Kentrevious Brantley will continue being teammates at NCAA Division II member Midwestern State in Wichita Falls, while running back O'Bryan "Wheetie" Washington inked with Tyler Junior College. Ten Bulldogs signed with Lon Morris — defensive back Darayvious Allison, linebacker Roderick Brooks, defensive back Terry Cherry, linebacker Kyle Deaton, linebacker Fabian Ewins, fullback J.J. Mosley, receiver Gary Nutt, right tackle Jerod Odom, receiver Teldrick Robinson and safety Travis Williams."

carter08
02-05-2010, 05:01 PM
I expected this thread to tell me what recruits Gilmer brought in for this season. Disappointing!

waterboy
02-05-2010, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by carter08
I expected this thread to tell me what recruits Gilmer brought in for this season. Disappointing!
We can't tell you that! You'd go narc on us to the UIL!:D

buckeyebob
02-06-2010, 09:04 AM
It is disappointing that anyone would imagine that GHS would violate any UIL Regulations. We are all about the kids. I have it from a very reliable source (close friend of mine on the School Board) that starting with the 2010-2011 school year, GHS will initiate a new program called 12+ (fashioned after Evangel, Shreveport 8+ program) to help the kids improve their academic and interpersonal skills prior to leaving the ”nest” and venturing into the real world of college. This program will “hold back” select students that need to hone these skills; Stump Godrfey, Tristan Holt and Vance Green have committed to lead as the first. In addition to academic tutoring, a group of businessmen and civic leaders will be encouraging families from the surrounding area to relocate to Gilmer with job, housing and financial help so that all their children and existing students will benefit from an improved diversity of the student body, improving those interpersonal skills. This program will insure that GHS will continue to be at the forefront of excellence in the years to come.

carter08
02-06-2010, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by buckeyebob
In addition to academic tutoring, a group of businessmen and civic leaders will be encouraging families from the surrounding area to relocate to Gilmer

:D

lulu
02-06-2010, 05:48 PM
:D Very interesting...but that's been going on for years. Not new.:)

lulu
02-06-2010, 05:49 PM
Isn't that called recruiting?

buckeyebob
02-06-2010, 06:51 PM
Negative

TOPS1435
02-07-2010, 02:00 AM
BuckeyeBob,

I am amazed at how much you can say when you have your tounge in cheek so strongly. LOL.

Get a couple of guys move into town and we hear about it as if it were a yearly event.

I myself did not realize that Tristen Holt and Braylon Webb were first cousins until Tristen's mom pointed out that Braylon's dad was her brother, Renardo Webb, who I photographed in the 80s.

When it starts being the grandkids of players I photographed, I think I'll put the camera on the shelf. ROFLOL

buckeyebob
02-07-2010, 06:54 AM
I almost went blind trying to keep everyone staight in the picture on page 1 of the Saturday Mirror...look at the new roster for 2010...the same last names are all over it. We need a program just to keep it all straight.

TOPS1435
02-07-2010, 08:23 PM
I hope folks outside Upshur County will note the number of locally raised players will be on that 2010 roster, especially the sons of our coaches. Traylor's son, Matt Turner's (OC), and Todd Barr's (DC) will be among the likely starters. There are some more in the grades 8-10.

buckeyebob
02-08-2010, 05:57 AM
I have no idea how Traylor & Co. manage to reload with such talent. At the end of '05-'06, I wondered what we were going to do? All the studs were gone...a bunch of Sophs coming up...this can't be good...little did I know. As I have prev. said, there are a number of familar sir names in the Fresh / Soph class.

BuckeyeNut
02-08-2010, 02:42 PM
This year of 2010 is going to fun to watch. No more blow off games once we get to District. One thing is don't any of yall get worried about the talent. The group of 10th grades have not been beaten. The 9th graders are not to bad. This program is built around making players. Strenght and speed are made in off season and summer pratice. When you have to whole JV and Varisty showing up everyday during the summer just to work out that is saying something. Winning is just something that Buckeyes do. This just means we will have a easyer time in the playoffs since we play the tough teams in District.

icu812
02-08-2010, 04:36 PM
Hey, who is the frontrunner at QB for Gilmer next year? I hear there is a good one in the pipeline.

TOPS1435
02-08-2010, 08:21 PM
Either Luke Turner who played WR, DB, and punter this year or Jordan Traylor, the JV Quarterback. Luke was the backup qb until the playoff when Traylor became the backup. Luke's dad is Matt Turner, who coaches the qbs, and Jordan is Coach Traylor's son.

buckeyebob
02-09-2010, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by TOPS1435
Either Luke Turner who played WR, DB, and punter this year or Jordan Traylor, the JV Quarterback. Luke was the backup qb until the playoff when Traylor became the backup. Luke's dad is Matt Turner, who coaches the qbs, and Jordan is Coach Traylor's son.

And nepotism runs rampant.

waterboy
02-09-2010, 08:19 AM
My guess would be that Jordan Traylor will start at QB, with Luke Turner remaining at WR, punter, and maybe playing a little on defense. That's just a guess based on what I saw unfold last year.

icu812
02-09-2010, 11:55 AM
And nepotism runs rampant.

Are you saying they wouldn't get much consideration if their daddys weren't coaches? Or can they play and their fathers just happen to be coaches?

lostaussie
02-09-2010, 11:57 AM
They can play:D

BuckeyeNut
02-09-2010, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by icu812
Are you saying they wouldn't get much consideration if their daddys weren't coaches? Or can they play and their fathers just happen to be coaches?

Turner will be the one to be playing QB unless we have a new move in which i hear we are.

waterboy
02-09-2010, 12:04 PM
Yes, they can play! They've not only been coached through junior high and into high school, they were coached as soon as they could walk.....:D They are very smart, and athletic....... They will likely be D1 recruits as well.....;)

icu812
02-09-2010, 01:55 PM
Sounds like Gilmer doesn't lack for QB's next year. Two coaches with sons who are good QB's? Must be nice to have options like that. We don't have a coach or a qb. Hey, since we are all about sharing the wealth these days........... Sorry just trying to help Gilmer settle their new QB controversy :D

buckeyebob
02-10-2010, 07:00 AM

Negative...not a thing wrong with nepotism. If anything, there is added incentive. The emotional bonds between family members can actually have a positive effect on individual performance and results. In addition, they are very dedicated.

lulu
02-10-2010, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
Yes, they can play! They've not only been coached through junior high and into high school, they were coached as soon as they could walk.....:D They are very smart, and athletic....... They will likely be D1 recruits as well.....;)

They probably had tapes playing over their cribs. I think Turner should get the nod. I liked his style. Cool under pressure and comfortable out of the pocket.

Hi Waterboy, Aussie, Buckeye 1980 and all you other Buc friends.
Been busy....have new grandson...Landry....as in Tom Landry. He will be a Lake Travis newcomer one day. Lucas my 5 year old grandson is already their "quarterback in waiting".:D

waterboy
02-10-2010, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by lulu
They probably had tapes playing over their cribs. I think Turner should get the nod. I liked his style. Cool under pressure and comfortable out of the pocket.

Been busy....have new grandson...Landry....as in Tom Landry. He will be a Lake Travis newcomer one day. Lucas my 5 year old grandson is already their "quarterback in waiting".:D
:wave: Hey, lulu! How ya feeling? Good to finally hear from ya. You've got a new grandson? Congratulations! :clap: Quarterbacks-in-waiting? At Lake Travis? Dang! I guess we need to start recruiting 'em here in a few years.......:D

buckeyebob
02-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by lulu

Congratulations lulu...wish I had a grandson...those boys of mine can't seem to get it right...8 grandaughters.

TOPS1435
02-10-2010, 10:16 PM
I am grateful to hear he'll go to Lake Travis. Better than having him qb at Spring Hill:clap: LOL

lulu
02-10-2010, 11:41 PM
Congratulations lulu...wish I had a grandson...those boys of mine can't seem to get it right...8 grandaughters.

My sister, brother and I have 10 grandsons. No girls. Only my brother has the chance of getting a girl. Min e and my sisters kids are done (i think). My sisters is the oldest. That is Dylan, the one that is SH's QB. Maybe we will have more athletes coming up.

lulu
02-10-2010, 11:41 PM

My sister, brother and I have 10 grandsons. No girls. Only my brother has the chance of getting a girl. Min e and my sisters kids are done (i think). My sisters is the oldest. That is Dylan, the one that is SH's QB. Maybe we will have more athletes coming up.

lulu
02-10-2010, 11:42 PM
I am grateful to hear he'll go to Lake Travis. Better than having him qb at Spring Hill:clap: LOL One of the boys is the QB for SH. Not too bad either...if I do say so

lulu
02-10-2010, 11:44 PM
I am grateful to hear he'll go to Lake Travis. Better than having him qb at Spring Hill:clap: LOL

Do I know you? If not ..we'll get aquainted.

:)

lulu
02-10-2010, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
:wave: Hey, lulu! How ya feeling? Good to finally hear from ya. You've got a new grandson? Congratulations! :clap: Quarterbacks-in-waiting? At Lake Travis? Dang! I guess we need to start recruiting 'em here in a few years.......:D You know Gilmer does not recruite. But I am an old Upshur Co. gal so I guess that would be ok. He already shows potential:D

Buckeye1980
02-11-2010, 11:24 AM
Grats Lulu, better get Landry in that LT weight room ASAP, gotta build up that strength....bettet have some close to him cause that place is bigger than Spring Hill high school!

Buckeye1980
02-11-2010, 11:24 AM
Grats Lulu, better get Landry in that LT weight room ASAP, gotta build up that strength....better have some close to him cause that place is bigger than Spring Hill high school!

Buckeye1980
02-11-2010, 11:25 AM
Grats Lulu, better get Landry in that LT weight room ASAP, gotta build up that strength....better have some close to him cause that place is bigger than Spring Hill high school!

lostaussie
02-11-2010, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye1980
Grats Lulu, better get Landry in that LT weight room ASAP, gotta build up that strength....better have some close to him cause that place is bigger than Spring Hill high school! say what. lol

TOPS1435
02-11-2010, 04:37 PM
Yes, lulu,we met at the gate at the Spring Hill game last fall. We were talking late in the game and you told me how you like to talk smack on 3A downlow. The next time you are at a Gilmer-Spring Hill game, look for the lady with a camera on the sidelines. LOL

TOPS1435
Yes, lulu,we met at the gate at the Spring Hill game last fall. We were talking late in the game and you told me how you like to talk smack on 3A downlow. The next time you are at a Gilmer-Spring Hill game, look for the lady with a camera on the sidelines. LOL

TOPS1435

lulu
02-12-2010, 12:49 AM
Yes, lulu,we met at the gate at the Spring Hill game last fall. We were talking late in the game and you told me how you like to talk smack on 3A downlow. The next time you are at a Gilmer-Spring Hill game, look for the lady with a camera on the sidelines. LOL I remember you. And I hope we meet again.
I saw you at one of the playoff games on the sidelines. Glad you responded . I love it when I know who
I'm talking to. Do you make the baseball games?

TOPS1435
02-12-2010, 01:56 AM
Yes, and I was at the basketball games. Will probably come to the Seccord Relays. While the kids are playing, I am there.

lulu
02-12-2010, 01:38 PM
Yes, and I was at the basketball games. Will probably come to the Seccord Relays. While the kids are playing, I am there. Didn't make the basketball games this year. Dylan skipped this season so we took the opportunity to rest up for baseball season. I do get to some of the track meets but only if the weather is good. I spent too many years of that wet cold when my dauhter was running. I used to help Joann Sparks in the press box announcing the races coming up. I miss her. Colder than Kraut most of the time it was.

Buckeye80
02-16-2010, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Black Flag
unless we have a new move in which i hear we are.

Any elaboration on this point??

Aesculus gilmus
02-17-2010, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye80
Any elaboration on this point??

For what it's worth, I have heard within the last couple of days that this particular rumor is not true.

waterboy
02-17-2010, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
For what it's worth, I have heard within the last couple of days that this particular rumor is not true.
Yep. I don't think we need a move-in. We have at least two QBs who will be battling it out to be the starter, and both are very talented.

BuckeyeNut
02-17-2010, 12:57 PM
were going to have atleast 3 move in from what i have heard, not that we need them

TOPS1435
02-17-2010, 01:29 PM
Black Flag,

I believe those rumors are started by people who believe Gilmer has to recruit to have a winner. They do not understand we raise our own winners by feeding them a diet of sweet potatoes mixed with pages from a well-honed playbook. LOL

The athletic department has heard the rumors, but not in fact seen any move ins. Right now they are more excited by Grant Koudelka winning the right to go to state in swimming!!!!

Buckeye80
02-17-2010, 05:34 PM
I wasn't implying that we needed any help. I was just curious if we are gonna get another year of the "GJ" recruiting scandal of 06. :D

waterboy
02-17-2010, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye80
I wasn't implying that we needed any help. I was just curious if we are gonna get another year of the "GJ" recruiting scandal of 06. :D
:doh: Lord, I hope not!! We'll never hear the end of it!