PDA

View Full Version : Gilmer's Godfrey to sign with . . .

poisoned10
02-03-2010, 03:08 AM
According to Smoaky.com, a source within Gilmer's athletic department has said that Gilmer QB Darian "Stump" Godfrey will sign with the University of New Mexico. There is still a slight chance that he could sign with Nebraska or Kansas, should they offer, but it might be too late.

Congrats Stump!

YTBulldogs
02-03-2010, 03:29 AM
Wish this youngster well. He earned it. Great kid. Whatever colleges passed on him, needs to fire their scouts.

I can see him playing another position besides QB. Maybe that's what the bigger schools offered and he wanted to play QB?

buckeyebob
02-03-2010, 06:05 AM
Watching Stump over the past 3 years has convinced me that he is a quarterback and has leadership and the will to win flowing through him. He will do well & congratulations to him.

injuredinmelee
02-03-2010, 08:30 AM
Great athlete and superior competitor. Alot of schools are going to miss out on a great kid. Its sad when you look at Arnot, Godfrey and then go back to Case Keenum and see how so many missed the boat on kids that know how to win.

NateDawg39
02-03-2010, 08:33 AM
Keenum was probably the hardest working player I ever saw play. Godfrey is no different I am sure, how else would he have won so many games? Wish some Texas schools would have picked up on him. But alas, as long as he gets his chance to show his talent in the next level what else could you ask for from a young man like him.

poisoned10
02-03-2010, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
Keenum was probably the hardest working player I ever saw play. Godfrey is no different I am sure, how else would he have won so many games? Wish some Texas schools would have picked up on him. But alas, as long as he gets his chance to show his talent in the next level what else could you ask for from a young man like him.

The Longview News-Journal wrote an article on Stump's work ethic. He was either watching film or at practice every day of the week. Maybe with the exception of Sunday. I read it during the middle of the season so I forget.

waterboy
02-03-2010, 10:12 AM
If Stump does sign with New Mexico, I sure hope we can see more of their games on TV.:( I'm definitely gonna miss watching him on Fridays, but I wish him the best on Saturdays. Whoever does get Stump will be VERY happy before it's all over. That I can guarantee.:clap:

44INAROW
02-03-2010, 10:32 AM
Good Luck to Stump - he will be an asset wherever he goes. :clap:

Farmersfan
02-03-2010, 10:37 AM
At first I thought the title of this thread said that Gilbert Godfrey signed with someone!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D

poisoned10
02-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Just saw on Smoaky that Nebraska signed a 4-star QB today, which eliminates them.

YTBulldogs
02-03-2010, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by poisoned10
Just saw on Smoaky that Nebraska signed a 4-star QB today, which eliminates them.

Guess they didn't want a 5 star like Godfrey. Their loss.

rojosgirl
02-03-2010, 11:41 AM
Good luck and best wishes at the next level!

ccmom
02-03-2010, 12:01 PM
Best of luck!! Watching him play is something I won't soon forget! :weeping: That young man is amazing! :thumbsup:

poisoned10
02-03-2010, 12:08 PM
I have read on the University of New Mexico message boards that he HAS signed with them. ESPN is also showing his as Verbally commited to the Lobos and my brother-in-law, who is a Gilmer player, has said he is going there.

UNM has also signed another dual-threat QB, Tarean Austin. They have quoted the coach as saying Austin has the purest throwing motion.

Most people on the message boards seem very surprised that UNM signed both Austin and Godfrey.

icu812
02-03-2010, 12:34 PM
I don't see Godfrey as your typical dual threat qb. To me he is more of a passing qb that can run. A lot like another former Buckeye GJ Kinne over at Tulsa.

TOPS1435
02-03-2010, 12:35 PM
New Mexico is the only college to tell him he could stay at quarterback. All the others wanted him to switch to safety, a position he has not played since he was a freshman. I hope he does well in ABQ.

Halestorm
02-03-2010, 12:57 PM
That kid has pure talent a head for the game game. I'll be rootin' for him.

Aesculus gilmus
02-03-2010, 12:58 PM
I thought Stump was more of the passer who could run if he had to right up until 3rd-and-10 from his own 32 against Cuero trailing 36-34 with just over two minutes to play.

After that, I realized he could've been running for 150 or more yards per game every game if he had wanted to. It just wasn't in the game plan most nights.

TOPS1435
02-03-2010, 03:28 PM
Ah, but that night, with cudo's to the Gobbler dbacks, he found his receivers covered much of the time, so he took what they left him. Yes, he prefers to pass than run, but oh how he can run!!!

buckeyebob
02-04-2010, 07:06 AM
Stump has always impressed me with his ability to read the game and take advantage of what is happening at the time and his ability to "will it".