PDA

View Full Version : March Madness

forum_guy
02-02-2010, 02:50 PM
Sources: 96-Team March Madness Is “Done Deal”

An ESPN source said, “It’s a done deal with the expansion of the tournament. Depending on how soon a (TV) deal is done, the added teams could start next year. The NCAA confirmed that bidders would be interested in 96 teams, so they’re going with it.”

Another ESPN source confirmed to me that the network was in the formative stages of pondering a bid for the expanded tournament.

John Ourand and Michael Smith of SPORTSBUSINESS JOURNAL reported this morning that if the NCAA opts out of its current broadcast rights deal with CBS, the governing body will consider, “expanding from a 65-team tournament to either 68 or 96 teams.”

The NCAA-CBS broadcast rights contract has three years and $2.131 billion remaining. SBJ reports, “the NCAA has until Aug. 31 to exercise its right, though it hopes to conclude the process much earlier.”

A 68-team field would add three games to the current 65-team format, and a 96-team field would add 31 games to the tourney.

SBJ also notes that ESPN, Fox and a Turner-CBS collaboration may vie for broadcast rights of the tournament.

The broadcasters are basing their bids on an expanded tournament field, according to a request for proposal issued by the NCAA to potential bidders late last year.

The NCAA reportedly wants a new, 14-year deal with its network partner(s) with an early opt-out only available to the NCAA. (Overplaying its cards?)

As my sources indicate, the NCAA is already dead-set on expanding to a 96-team hoops tournament, so what affect will that have on interest in March Madness and the regular season?

I’m one of those guys who lightly follows the regular season but loves the postseason tournament. Going to 96 teams will render the regular season even more meaningless and I’m not so sure that March Madness will be as fervently embraced with the dilution of the field and added number of games. Like my bracket isn’t big enough already?

If they’re going to go to 96 teams, why not just make the whole season a double elimination tournament?

And if the NCAA is going to drag out the hoops tournament even more, causing players to miss more class, how can it continue to justify not having a college football playoff?

Someone needs to check the water in Indianapolis. Might wanna consider a boil warning.

forum_guy
02-02-2010, 02:51 PM
wow is all i can say. Think someone will ever pick a perfect bracket again? lol

BaseballUmp
02-02-2010, 02:53 PM
this is insane

Sweetwater Red
02-02-2010, 02:54 PM
Say good bye to the NIT.

turbostud
02-02-2010, 02:55 PM
And College football cant even get a 8 team bracket. :doh:

lvbears32
02-02-2010, 02:56 PM
what is the point??? its not like the extra 31 teams are gunna make any noise in the tourney. they pretty much eliminate the chances of a cinderella ever making a run like George Mason ever again.

BaseballUmp
02-02-2010, 02:59 PM
this is gonna drag on forever

TheDOCTORdre
02-02-2010, 04:38 PM
A 16 seed cant even beat a one right now, and they expect that adding more teams is good how?

Old Tiger
02-02-2010, 04:46 PM
That is pathetic and stupid IMO. Basically 2/3 of the NCAA basketball teams will make the tournament.

jason
02-02-2010, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
, and they expect that adding more teams is good how? $$$$

Old Tiger
02-02-2010, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by jason
$$$$ Its sad that everything is about money and how bad the field will be watered down due to this.

jason
02-02-2010, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
Its sad that everything is about money and how bad the field will be watered down due to this. and yet an 8 team football tournament would be too much of a hardship on students missing class...

Old Tiger
02-02-2010, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by jason
and yet an 8 team football tournament would be too much of a hardship on students missing class... Exactly.

forum_guy
02-02-2010, 05:20 PM
There definitely shouldn't be any complaining of a bubble team being left out when this takes place. lol

coach
02-02-2010, 06:19 PM
i wont believe it until i see it on espn myself

BaseballUmp
02-02-2010, 06:47 PM
oh my you could see Texas State in the tournament and we cant even win the conference haha

TheDOCTORdre
02-02-2010, 07:17 PM
if you cant make the tournament with 96 teams you should get fired

ASUFrisbeeStud
02-02-2010, 07:19 PM
This is crap, I don't even watch most of the games until the sweet 16 anyways. This will just make me have to wait longer.

coach
02-02-2010, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
This is crap, I don't even watch most of the games until the sweet 16 anyways. This will just make me have to wait longer.

well thats dumb....those are the best two rounds of the tourney