PDA

View Full Version : Oscar Nominations are out

WOS87
02-02-2010, 11:51 AM
When did they start nominating 10 films for Best Picture??

Click Here --->LINK (http://oscars.movies.yahoo.com/news/376-list-of-82nd-annual-academy-award-nominations-ap)

Ranger Mom
02-02-2010, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by WOS87

Click Here --->LINK (http://oscars.movies.yahoo.com/news/376-list-of-82nd-annual-academy-award-nominations-ap)

I think just this year!!:p

Phil C
02-02-2010, 12:27 PM
It makes sense from an economic viewpoint. When a movie wins an oscar it helps in the revenues and interest in it. In fact getting nominated creates interest and more money. By having more nominations revenues and interest for these movies increase.

"I am almost surprised they didn't think of it sooner" said the Sinton GodFather as he reached for his cup of coffee.

cshscougar08
02-02-2010, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I think just this year!!:p

Yeah that started this year. When there really aren't ten that should be nominated. Go figure. Lol.

Phil C
02-02-2010, 12:33 PM
They are all good movies but I hope Avator wins even though I am not holding my breath because those type of movies usually don't win.

crzyjournalist03
02-02-2010, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
They are all good movies but I hope Avator wins even though I am not holding my breath because those type of movies usually don't win.

And what exactly do you mean by "those types"? Because if by "those types" you're referring to movies about blue human-aliens from another planet, then that's just flat out racist.

C'mon Phil, show some political correctness around here. So disappointing...:dispntd: :dispntd: :dispntd:

Rabid Cougar
02-02-2010, 01:36 PM
"Hurt Locker" is a freaking joke of a movie. It is about as realistic as telletubies. You absolutely never, ever , ever see a HUMVEE sitting in a street in Iraq with no on in it. Nor do Americans run around the desert in a single HUMVEE. Nor do Americans , crawl the fence and go into an Iraqi town alone. It just goes on and on and on with made up BS. Head shots at 1500 meters on a moving target, give me a freaking break.

Sweetwater Red
02-02-2010, 01:40 PM

I haven't watched a single one of those movies and the only one
I care to see is Inglorious Basterds.

Rabid Cougar
02-02-2010, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
I haven't watched a single one of those movies and the only one
I care to see is Inglorious Basterds.

"You are Italian No.3"

carter08
02-02-2010, 01:48 PM
Fantastic Mr. Fox, Where The Wild Things Are, Men Who Stare at Goats. All better than a few of those nominated films.

Also, haven't seen Crazy Heart yet but it should probably have a best picture nom too.

Green Bling
02-02-2010, 02:23 PM

I don't know this from personal experience, but heard it today when they announced the 10 films. They used to have 10 films, but Casa Blanca was the last film to win from 10 nominated. So this is a return to a former policy. They gave several reasons for it, but IMO it is to increase box office sales so people will rush out to see 10 nominated films rather than 5.

Eradicator
02-02-2010, 02:39 PM
Best Picture: District 9???? I thought that movie blew!!! Apparently they are scrapping the bottom of the barrel this year...

lvbears32
02-02-2010, 02:41 PM

Phil C
02-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
And what exactly do you mean by "those types"? Because if by "those types" you're referring to movies about blue human-aliens from another planet, then that's just flat out racist.

C'mon Phil, show some political correctness around here. So disappointing...:dispntd: :dispntd: :dispntd:

I meant science fiction type action movies. But my choice of words was indeed unfortunate and misleading. I am so ashamed. :(

Phil C
02-02-2010, 03:33 PM
I still hope Avator wins. :)

Phil C
02-02-2010, 03:50 PM
I once did an analysis and usually about 70% of the time the movie that wins best picture also wins for the best director. Since there are only 5 directors nominated then the Best Picture will most likely not be the following five: The Blind Side, District 9, An Education, A Serious Man or Up.

I saw The Blind Side and it is a very good movie worth seeing but I don't feel it is worthy of Best Picture award though.

Remember there have been exceptions and this may be the year but we will see.

Phil C
02-02-2010, 03:52 PM
The main interest in these awards are considered to be Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Acress, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress and Best Director.

If they increased it to 10 in one category I feel they should have done it for the others. Oh well.