PDA

View Full Version : My Alignment Thoughts

Old Tiger
02-02-2010, 10:45 AM
I think the gap in 3a is too large and the gap in 2a is too small.

I think it should look like this....

1A - 200 and Below
2A - 201 to 499
3A - 500 to 999
4A - 1000 to 2049
5A - 2050+

NateDawg39
02-02-2010, 10:48 AM
I like it your way

BILLYFRED0000
02-02-2010, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
I think the gap in 3a is too large and the gap in 2a is too small.

I think it should look like this....

1A - 200 and Below
2A - 201 to 499
3A - 500 to 999
4A - 1000 to 2049
5A - 2050+

IN theory. However you have to remember that you have to keep the number of schools even across the classes to have fair chances in each class. that would cause the 3a class to be small
and 2a would bloom up over 300 schools. and the 2a split would be 2.5 to 1. Not a problem since they have small school large school but you get the point.

Old Tiger
02-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
IN theory. However you have to remember that you have to keep the number of schools even across the classes to have fair chances in each class. that would cause the 3a class to be small
and 2a would bloom up over 300 schools. and the 2a split would be 2.5 to 1. Not a problem since they have small school large school but you get the point. Thats why I think that gap needs to be larger in 2a because of the small school/big school.

Phil C
02-02-2010, 11:51 AM
Of course they seem to be heading toward the schools being in Division 1 and 2. The main unfair thing about that is that a school with 800 could be in Division 2 against smaller schools because they happen to be in schools with large numbers. Also you could have a smaller school having to compete with large schools in division 1 because they are in a district with small schools. That is unfair in my opinion. I thing they should try to make districts not just by distance but by population so this unfair practice could help be eliminated. Costs may prohibit this.
Either way we are getting to where soon we will have watered down state championships like California but it means more money and the poweres that be are happy.

bigwood33
02-02-2010, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Of course they seem to be heading toward the schools being in Division 1 and 2. The main unfair thing about that is that a school with 800 could be in Division 2 against smaller schools because they happen to be in schools with large numbers. Also you could have a smaller school having to compete with large schools in division 1 because they are in a district with small schools. That is unfair in my opinion. I thing they should try to make districts not just by distance but by population so this unfair practice could help be eliminated. Costs may prohibit this.
Either way we are getting to where soon we will have watered down state championships like California but it means more money and the poweres that be are happy.

The 3A, 4A, and 5A superintendents have voted down the idea of going to split divisions. I don't understand why people continue to talk about this like the UIL is going to force it on 3A and above...that is not going to happen. I asked Cliff Odenwald specifically what would need to happen for the UIL to reconsider split divisions again in 3A and above and he said "the superintendents from the respective classifications would have to bring it before the committee". That means, it ain't happening any time soon!
The reason 1A and 2A have gone to split divisions is the superintendents from 1A and 2A voted to do it. The closest vote was in 2A and he (Odenwald) said that it passed by almost a 2:1 margin.

SHSBulldog00
02-02-2010, 11:59 AM
500-999

Wouldn't that cause us to have open district's again?

bigwood33
02-02-2010, 12:01 PM
Yes. His proposed numbers are too arbitrary and do not take into account how many schools would be in each classification. His idea is absolutely unfeasible.

GreenMonster
02-02-2010, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
Thats why I think that gap needs to be larger in 2a because of the small school/big school. Big school/small school only pertains to football. Too many schools would cause problems in all other sports.

VWG
02-02-2010, 07:50 PM
Wonder how the superintendents of that Panhandle 2A district feel about 2 schools going to the playoffs?
Bushland
Littlefield
Muleshoe
A. River Road
Childress

A couple of good teams are going to be left out.