PDA

View Full Version : Liberty Hill moves again – this time ‘back’ to Region IV

K-MAC Chuck
02-01-2010, 07:06 PM
Story from http://libertyhillsports.com

A heavy weight is now off the shoulder of LHHS Athletic Director/Coach Jerry Vance, Assistant A.D. Charles “Doc” Harrington and the rest of LHISD.
In fact, it took just a matter of minutes on Monday for that weight to disappear.
The University Interscholastic League (UIL) announced its realignment for the 2010-11 seasons Monday morning at 9 a.m. and Liberty Hill officials found out the school was placed in Region IV, District 25-3A.
Joining LHHS in 25-3A will be a couple of familiar foes – Burnet, Llano and Taylor – as well as a couple of new opponents (Lampasas and Salado).
The two “newbies” are new to Class 3A: Lampasas drops from 4A for this realignment while Salado moves up from Class 2A.
Vance – as most anyone who has 33-plus years experience with the UIL – had no expectations but was still surprised by the new arrangements.
“They surprised me today,” Vance said Monday morning over the phone. “I was surprised the low (enrollment) number (430) of 3A stayed the same and the top (enrollment) number increased by only 10 (989, as opposed to 979 in the last realignment in 2008).”
For the record, Liberty Hill’s “number” was 747, right in the middle of the current 3A alignment.
As for Liberty Hill’s move to Region IV, Vance chuckled – as would any head of a school that’s been now been a member of three of the four UIL regions (I, III and IV).
“Well, we aren’t a part of Region II (the Dallas-area region),” the 10-year LHHS AD stated with a smile. “Outside of that, we really didn’t know where the UIL would place us. I don’t guess anything surprises me with UIL anymore.”
As for the new District 25-3A (which begins play this fall with football, volleyball and cross country), Vance was both surprised and anxious.
“In following with the process of thinking,” Vance started, “it surprised me they (UIL) pulled Taylor over into our district. As for Lampasas and Salado, we thought they might be put in our new district depending on the (low) end of (the 3A) numbers.
“We’re not surprised with Burnet, although we thought if we ended up with Burnet and Lampasas we figured we might go north and be placed with the likes of China Sprng and Waco Connally.”
Vance added, “I really thought Llano would be placed in the district with Wimberley and Fredericksburg.”
As it turns out, Wimberley and Fredericksburg are potential bi-district playoff opponents for the Panthers and Lady Panthers. The Texans and Battlin’ Billies were placed in 26-3A along with CanyonLake, Boerne, Geronimo Navarro and Bandera. That district will add San Antonio Hawkins in basketball season.
“I’m excited about playing some new teams; I think that’s exciting,” Vance stated. “This realignment cuts our travel for football considerably; we don’t have to make the longer trips we made the past couple years. That’s a great thing with this, the timing and cut on travel expenses is most welcome.”
Looking into bi-district and area round playoff match-ups, Vance said: “We just travel to places we’ve been before (Bandera, CanyonLake, Wimberley, Fredericksburg) for bi-district. The area round will feature a game against the likes of Cuero and their bi-district match-up; that’s going to be pretty tough to face any of those.”
Another factor of the realignment is the end of the current five-team district in which Liberty Hill resides (8-3A, with Burnet, Llano, Austin Vandegrift and Leander Rouse).
“Without question, a six-team district set-up makes scheduling a lot easier,” Vance remarked. “I also assume our Junior High School will have teams to play (as opposed to now, with Vandegrift and Rouse without junior high school match-ups).”
So for the coach who has seen “most everything” from the UIL (including a mid-stream realignment by the UIL this past March), was there any other surprises?
“The UIL did fill up 32 districts like they said,” Vance stated with a smirk. “The numbers are the biggest surprise of all. The ‘high end’ number didn’t jump up over 1,000 like (most) expected.”

LHexPlayer
02-01-2010, 07:18 PM
Thanks Chuck! Anyone have the full schedule with scrimmages and home games? Also how many do we return next year? I lost my roster.

LH Panther Mom
02-01-2010, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by LHexPlayer
Thanks Chuck! Anyone have the full schedule with scrimmages and home games? Also how many do we return next year? I lost my roster.
I don't know home/away, just who/when. And I don't know, off the top of my head, how many we return.

Oh, and Salado is NOT a new opponent. In fact, we played them in football for a number of years.

LHexPlayer
02-01-2010, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I don't know home/away, just who/when. And I don't know, off the top of my head, how many we return.

Oh, and Salado is NOT a new opponent. In fact, we played them in football for a number of years.

Correct, Salado was in our 2a district for years. I couldn't stand them then.

LH Panther Mom
02-01-2010, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by LHexPlayer
Anyone have the full schedule with scrimmages and home games? Also how many do we return next year? I lost my roster.
Week 0: Leander Rouse
Week 1: Cuero
Week 2: China Spring
Week 3: Rockdale
Week 4: Mexia

Unless something has changed, scrimmages are with La Grange & Fredericksburg.

LHexPlayer
02-01-2010, 08:54 PM
Week 0: Leander Rouse
Week 1: Cuero
Week 2: China Spring
Week 3: Rockdale
Week 4: Mexia

That's a pretty good schedule. This season will be interesting to see how the team bounces back from last season.

Green Bling
02-01-2010, 09:02 PM
Glad to see LH back in Region IV!
We'll see you in non-district play. Let's plan a M&G.

K-MAC Chuck
02-01-2010, 09:07 PM

Yes, my beloved LHPM, I'm aware of the history of LH/Salado. By "newbie" I meant a "new" opponent in the last few (recent) years (Salado was last a district opponent in 1993).

Next time I'll try to be more specific. :D

LH Panther Mom
02-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by K-MAC Chuck
Yes, my beloved LHPM, I'm aware of the history of LH/Salado. By "newbie" I meant a "new" opponent in the last few (recent) years (Salado was last a district opponent in 1993).

Next time I'll try to be more specific. :D
They were non-district as recent as 2005. :p ;)

K-MAC Chuck
02-01-2010, 09:16 PM
They were non-district as recent as 2005. :p ;)

I stand corrected once again. :nerd:

ziggy29
02-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Good comments from Coach Vance. From what tea leaves I've read in Llano, I thought he was right: I thought the Jackets were more likely to wind up with Wimberley and Fred (and possibly Burnet and LH) than with Taylor and Salado.

I had heard Salado was a possibility if they made the jump to 3A. But I heard nothing about Taylor moving to a district that's otherwise all to the west.

LH Panther Mom
02-01-2010, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by ziggy29
Good comments from Coach Vance. From what tea leaves I've read in Llano, I thought he was right: I thought the Jackets were more likely to wind up with Wimberley and Fred (and possibly Burnet and LH) than with Taylor and Salado.

I had heard Salado was a possibility if they made the jump to 3A. But I heard nothing about Taylor moving to a district that's otherwise all to the west.
Daddy D asked me last night what I thought. My guess was LH, Burnet, Lampasas, Llano and the Austin schools if they didn't opt up OR Salado & Gatesville. I kind of thought we'd stay in Region 1 though.

Ranger Mom
02-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Daddy D asked me last night what I thought. My guess was LH, Burnet, Lampasas, Llano and the Austin schools if they didn't opt up OR Salado & Gatesville. I kind of thought we'd stay in Region 1 though.

I'm kinda sad....I enjoyed y'all being in our Region!!

LH Panther Mom
02-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I'm kinda sad....I enjoyed y'all being in our Region!!
I know!

44INAROW
02-01-2010, 09:33 PM
welcome back to Reg IV to our friends in Liberty Hill

ziggy29
02-01-2010, 10:00 PM
I wasn't sure about Lampasas or Salado, just because I didn't know where the new lines would be drawn. I thought Salado would go up to 3A, but I wasn't sure if Lampasas would drop down and join teams to the south -- I thought they might join Brownwood and others that way. But if Lampasas was going to be drawn into teams south of them, it would make sense that the Centex Highway 29 corridor (Llano/Burnet/LH) would join them, and perhaps Salado if they jumped up as well since Salado would be a better fit if Lampasas was there as well.

I'm still really surprised at Taylor here, though. Geographically they got kinda hosed compared to where they have been in the last couple of realignments.

LH Panther Mom
02-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Oops! Something changed! Scrimmages are La Grange & Sealy. :)

ziggy29
02-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Oops! Something changed! Scrimmages are La Grange & Sealy. :)
Sealy? Dang. Say hi to Eric Dickerson for me! :)

Daddy D 11
02-01-2010, 11:12 PM
Vance has definitely stacked the schedule.

Record might not look pretty going into district but this sure as heck will prepare LH for district. District will be a walk in the park:p

LH Panther Mom
02-02-2010, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by K-MAC Chuck
I stand corrected once again. :nerd:
No worries! I've just had boys playing football for many years. It's kind of sad when I think that in 2 years, the youngest will be done. After 15 consecutive years of having a Panther football player, I may curl up in the fetal position. :(