PDA

View Full Version : Texas Girls Softball Poll is out!

Old Cardinal
02-01-2010, 04:02 PM
2009-10 Texas Girls Coaches Association Softball Poll
February 1, 2010 - Pre-Season Top Ten
Class 1A

1. Grapeland
2. Forsan
3. Colmesneil

Alto

Iola
6. Lindsay
7. Elkhart Slocum
8. North Hopkins
9. Martin's Mill
10. Shiner

Comments: Grapeland has strong pitching with Summer Groholski and a veteran squad and is the early favorite while Forsan and Alto should be solid. Colmesneil has Kayla Bryan and looks good. Shiner is a perennial as is Slocum and Lindsay. Iola has talented athletes and a strong program, pitching has to be consistent.

Class 2A

1. Brock

Hallettsville
3. Eastland
4. Elysian Fields
5.. Coahoma
6. Poth
7. Rosebud-Lott
8. Danbury
9. George West
10. Wichita Falls City View

Comments: Pitching is the name of the game and defending champion Brock returns theirs while Eastland, Coahoma, Poth and George West have proven hurlers. Cisco hits the ball well while Hallettsville plays in a brutal district and region and appears to be rolling on from last season.

Class 3A

1. Needville
2. Celina
3. Bridge City
4. Bullard
5. Splendora
6. Fredericksburg
7. Van
8. La Grange
9. Huffman-Hargrave
10. Sweeny

Comments: Needville and Celina both look good but Bridge City, Huffman-Hargrave, La Grange, Van and Splendora look very solid. Bullard has strong pitching while Sweeny returns a ton of talent and both Huntington and Rusk look solid. La Grange hits well and has solid hitting and pitching back while Prosper has nine starters but a new coach and may be very good as the season progresses.

Old Cardinal
02-01-2010, 09:37 PM
I would have figured Huffman-Hargraves quite a bit higher in 3A. Their Pitcher Savannah Wiggins is excellent and college bound. Also Yoe has good Pitching.

In 1A a Evadale had a deep run and they have most back.

Any overall comments?

pirate4state
02-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Sinton is gonna experience some growing pains, but we'll have a brand new seating to make everyone as comfortable as possible.

Looking forward to see what youngsters step up and try to keep the district title in Sinton.

lvbears32
02-01-2010, 09:57 PM
r u celina people good at everything???

zebrablue2
02-01-2010, 10:44 PM
La grange is right where they want to be. They will be solid as a rock. I will punch their ticket to the state tourn. right now. With a break or two, they will win it all...

warrior12
02-01-2010, 11:30 PM
Better watch out for Ganado in 1A heard they got 2 new pitchers and some homerun power from a couple freshmen I'm pretty sure they will make a deep run this year.

warrior12
02-01-2010, 11:33 PM
Wonder how Shiner will do without Haas on the mound dont know if her sister throws and if she does i doubt she is as dominant as Heather

NastySlot
02-01-2010, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by lvbears32

lv bears32 you guys have a really good pitcher...and are well coached. so keep an eye on the lady bears.

NastySlot
02-02-2010, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
2009-10 Texas Girls Coaches Association Softball Poll
February 1, 2010 - Pre-Season Top Ten
Class 1A

1. Grapeland
2. Forsan
3. Colmesneil

Alto

Iola
6. Lindsay
7. Elkhart Slocum
8. North Hopkins
9. Martin's Mill
10. Shiner

Comments: Grapeland has strong pitching with Summer Groholski and a veteran squad and is the early favorite while Forsan and Alto should be solid. Colmesneil has Kayla Bryan and looks good. Shiner is a perennial as is Slocum and Lindsay. Iola has talented athletes and a strong program, pitching has to be consistent.

Class 2A

1. Brock

Hallettsville
3. Eastland
4. Elysian Fields
5.. Coahoma
6. Poth
7. Rosebud-Lott
8. Danbury
9. George West
10. Wichita Falls City View

Comments: Pitching is the name of the game and defending champion Brock returns theirs while Eastland, Coahoma, Poth and George West have proven hurlers. Cisco hits the ball well while Hallettsville plays in a brutal district and region and appears to be rolling on from last season.

Class 3A

1. Needville
2. Celina
3. Bridge City
4. Bullard
5. Splendora
6. Fredericksburg
7. Van
8. La Grange
9. Huffman-Hargrave
10. Sweeny

Comments: Needville and Celina both look good but Bridge City, Huffman-Hargrave, La Grange, Van and Splendora look very solid. Bullard has strong pitching while Sweeny returns a ton of talent and both Huntington and Rusk look solid. La Grange hits well and has solid hitting and pitching back while Prosper has nine starters but a new coach and may be very good as the season progresses.

Grapelands Ace was one of A&M consols pitchers last season......she should make a big impact in class A.

3afan
02-02-2010, 06:27 AM
FYI:

Class 4A

1. New Braunfels Canyon
2. Nederland
3. Angleton
4. Waco Midway
5. Mesquite Poteet
6. Kingsville King
7. Forney
8. Dripping Springs
9. Tulosa Midway
10. Rockwall

Comments: Defending state champion New Braunfels Canyon has a junior pitcher back on the mound in Sarah Mireles and a ton of talent. The Cougarettes are extremely well coached and are the team to beat. Nederland has re-loaded and may be the team left standing against New Braunfels Canyon. Waco Midway has All-State pitcher Kay Ward returning along with returnees at catcher Kelly Schaeffer, Val Ramirez and Monique Miller 1st team all district. Mesquite Poteet lost 5 to graduation, but have strong core of Juniors and Sophomores that return for 2010. Forney, Rockwall, and Hallsville look very good in pre-season.

Class 5A

1. Pearland
2. Plano East
3. Cedar Park Vista Ridge
4. Clear Creek
5. Katy
6. Midland
7. Bellaire
8. Mesquite Horn
9. Marcus
10. Pflugerville

Comments: Smithson Valley looks down with retirement and graduation while Pearland looks two or three deep at every position and looks like the team to beat. Clear Creek and Katy look to be loaded while Bellaire and Marcus lost some traction to graduation but have solid teams. Vista Ridge returns everyone and they are sneaky good, the type of team that does not impress fans until they lead 5-0 after three innings. Rangers are well coached. Pflugerville returns the Outon twins, pitcher-catcher combo and they should be very, very good.

hookandladder
02-02-2010, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
La grange is right where they want to be. They will be solid as a rock. I will punch their ticket to the state tourn. right now. With a break or two, they will win it all...

Not trying to knock La Grange however we did lose our catcher,3rd,SS,CF and LF. With the Homer girl coming in it will definitely help however you are talking about replaceing almost the entire middle with no true SS this year. They will need time to come together and a long time if Basketball does well in the playoffs, 3 varsity starters on the team. Pitching will definitely be the teams strong point.

NastySlot
02-02-2010, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by hookandladder
Not trying to knock La Grange however we did lose our catcher,3rd,SS,CF and LF. With the Homer girl coming in it will definitely help however you are talking about replaceing almost the entire middle with no true SS this year. They will need time to come together and a long time if Basketball does well in the playoffs, 3 varsity starters on the team. Pitching will definitely be the teams strong point.

I hear yeah....I think we might ranked to high also...we return a lot but lost a pitcher that earned 90% of our wins last season...we have four pitchers...but only two have pitched in a varsity game.....another a freshman...might end up being a great one in the years to come..........i like it when no one knows you.

baller375
02-02-2010, 01:57 PM
What teams do we need to watch for? Underdogs!

NastySlot
02-02-2010, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by baller375
What teams do we need to watch for? Underdogs!

not too sure what year their pitcher was last season...but as far a being sound defensively and really fast offensively...Vernon in North Texas should be pretty good...........Gatesville returns a top notch pitcher and is very well coached..........Liberty Hill returns a lot and again is well coached.....also keep an eye Wimberley they got a new coach but talent is there.....and LaVernia has a really good pitcher.

oh yeah China Spring...I really like them last year they will be good this year.

hookandladder
02-02-2010, 02:35 PM
If Needville did not lose much from last years team, they will be the team to beat in Region 4 and also State.

lvbears32
02-02-2010, 02:37 PM
La Vernia has an excellent pitcher and some great bats.

Sittin & Fishin
02-02-2010, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by lvbears32

You haven't seen basketball box scores have you? The Celina girls were great in basketball last year as they were one game away from State. But this year, they are extremely young with almost all starters being sophomores. They are having a tough time.

The boys basketball team (with no hieght) seems to struggle mightily every year since the move to 3A. Except for this year, football playoffs normally goes so deep into the basketball season that they miss half the season and are not competitive. They also have such a small number of students that boys basketball suffers as the boys concentrate on football, baseball and track. They can't field a team until football is out. I heard that when the football team got eliminated earlier than usual in the playoffs, that the basketball coach had to try to rush and schedule games that they were not planning on being available to play.

I have only seen a few games this year, but the boys and girls play very hard and never give up, no matter what the score. Girls basketball should be good in the next two years.

lvbears32
02-02-2010, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Sittin & Fishin
You haven't seen basketball box scores have you? The Celina girls were great in basketball last year as they were one game away from State. But this year, they are extremely young with almost all starters being sophomores. They are having a tough time.

The boys basketball team (with no hieght) seems to struggle mightily every year since the move to 3A. Except for this year, football playoffs normally goes so deep into the basketball season that they miss half the season and are not competitive. They also have such a small number of students that boys basketball suffers as the boys concentrate on football, baseball and track. They can't field a team until football is out. I heard that when the football team got eliminated earlier than usual in the playoffs, that the basketball coach had to try to rush and schedule games that they were not planning on being available to play.

I have only seen a few games this year, but the boys and girls play very hard and never give up, no matter what the score. Girls basketball should be good in the next two years.

at least they keep fightin. besides every program has its ups and downs...Celina has more ups than most though

Sittin & Fishin
02-02-2010, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by hookandladder
If Needville did not lose much from last years team, they will be the team to beat in Region 4 and also State.

Is their pitcher back? Small girl with great rise ball! Shut down Celina in state championship last year.

allforball
02-02-2010, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2

What are you basing your opinion on zebrablue?? LG returns a very strong pitcher but loses 5 key starters, all hitting 300+ and above average speed on the bases. Return only 2 300+ hitters and not much team speed. Varsity inexperience will be there weakness. IMO last year was there best shot at a state appearance. If they get the inexperienced bats and defense rolling, they will have the pitching to get them to state. Always fun being an underdog. FYI - girls polls are never as accurate as the boys polls. You would think they would look at what you graduated!!

SHSBulldog00
02-02-2010, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Sittin & Fishin
Is their pitcher back? Small girl with great rise ball! Shut down Celina in state championship last year.

Yeah she's back. District 26 will be exciting once again when softball season begins.

Old Cardinal
02-03-2010, 05:07 PM
looks like Celina & Needville make it back to the final four this season.

In Region III any of--Huffman, Bridge City or Splendora will represent. Huntington also is a long shot to win the Region.

In the remaining Region who do you think will represent???
West? Canyon? Who?

NastySlot
02-03-2010, 06:41 PM
looks like Celina & Needville make it back to the final four this season.

In Region III any of--Huffman, Bridge City or Splendora will represent. Huntington also is a long shot to win the Region.

In the remaining Region who do you think will represent???
West? Canyon? Who?

maybe china spring

Old Cardinal
02-04-2010, 01:06 PM
To N.S.:

Can you tell us some info on China Springs SB I have not kept up with them?

NastySlot
02-04-2010, 01:18 PM
To N.S.:

Can you tell us some info on China Springs SB I have not kept up with them?

well coached.....i believe they return almost their entire squad....they play in a tough district with west and gatesville.

pitching was solid last season and they hit the ball well.

another central texas team...i didn't see but have heard a lot about and saw a few of their girls play in the summer was Groesbeck.

IHStangFan
02-04-2010, 04:24 PM
YAY Needville Lady Jays!! Bring home the hardware!!

Old Cardinal
02-04-2010, 11:07 PM
What position-players did Needville lose to graduation?

Will West or China Springs win their District.

What District did Groesbeck play in last year and how did they come out?

IHStangFan
02-05-2010, 01:17 AM
What position-players did Needville lose to graduation?

Will West or China Springs win their District.

What District did Groesbeck play in last year and how did they come out? If I'm not mistaken, they didn't loose a whole lot.

Reds fan
02-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
If I'm not mistaken, they didn't loose a whole lot.

Needville graduated 4 or 5 from last years team. Their pitcher does return this year, but I think SS, 2B and C were among the graduates. They depend on great defensive support of the pitcher as she allows the ball to be put into play. Still should compete for a State berth regardless. They should still be one of the speediest teams around.

coxjj
02-06-2010, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by Reds fan
Needville graduated 4 or 5 from last years team. Their pitcher does return this year, but I think SS, 2B and C were among the graduates. They depend on great defensive support of the pitcher as she allows the ball to be put into play. Still should compete for a State berth regardless. They should still be one of the speediest teams around.

I think the Needville/Sweeny rivalry will once again play an important role in the playoffs. Last year, Sweeny was Needville's toughest opponent and, I believe, constantly underrated in the polls. Sweeny was 10-0 in a tough district, handing 8-2 Needville their only district losses. Sweeny was the only team to take a game from Needville in the playoffs. 5 closely fought games throughout the season, with Sweeny winning district games 1-0 and 2-1 and Needville taking the Regional Final 2-0, 0-1 (12), 1-0. There was a common feeling among the 2 teams that the winner of that series would win state. This may reoccur in 2010. I believe Sweeny lost fewer players to graduation, so they should remain as strong as ever.

Old Cardinal
02-06-2010, 05:29 PM
Great report Coxjj, I lot of time one of the best teams that State winners have played is someone in their own District lol

Who are the Pitchers for Sweeny? ERA etc:

Someone commented that La Vernia was a good upstart team this season......please give us the particulars?

Some warm-up scores rolling in--

2A Anahuac 6.. 3A Hamshire-Fannett 5; 3A Hamshire-Fannett 2.. 3A Liberty 0

5A West Brook 0 3A Bridge City 0; 4A Barbers Hill 1 3A Bridge City 0.... & 5A West Brook 4 4A Barbers Hill 3.

Please add other statewide 3A warm-up scores....Thank you

coxjj
02-06-2010, 06:24 PM
Who are the Pitchers for Sweeny? ERA etc:

Allie Chenault returns as a senior and has signed with D1 ULL. According to chron.com, regular season stats were 22-3, 0.19 ERA, 180 IP, 5 ER, 273 K, 24 BB. Lauren Dannelly is a sophomore pitcher coming in on her heels and was 9-1 last year as a freshman. Chenault gave up only 4 runs in the 5 games vs Needville, only 2 of which I show as being earned.

jayfan1
02-06-2010, 06:26 PM
does needville pitcher have any offers?

coxjj
02-06-2010, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by jayfan1
does needville pitcher have any offers?
She's been talking with several schools, but not ready to announce anything yet. I will post all of the Needville signings as I hear about them on the Needville website, www.eteamz.com/needville (http://www.eteamz.com/needville). Last year's 4 graduating starters' signings along with 1 of the 3 2010's signings have already been posted there.

Old Cardinal
02-10-2010, 01:13 PM
I saw the Huffman softball team play the other day--WOW.
When they pitch Savannah Wiggen they will be hard to beat by any team that I know of.
~~~~~~~~~
Have you seen any teams that are surprisingly superior in the scrimmages?

coxjj
02-10-2010, 01:43 PM
I saw the Huffman softball team play the other day--WOW.
When they pitch Savannah Wiggen they will be hard to beat by any team that I know of.
~~~~~~~~~
Have you seen any teams that are surprisingly superior in the scrimmages?

I have not seen Huffman myself, but have read good things about them. Was waiting to see if they came out of Region 3 last year, but that didn't happen. Have read somewhere that Wiggins signed with D1 Missouri State, so you know she's top-notch.

Actually haven't seen any scrimmages so far as my daughter is onto college now, so I'm following those games. Still trying to pick up some Needville games when the schedules don't conflict.

areacode337
02-10-2010, 02:51 PM
Sweeny centerfielder Candyce Carter, 2009 26-3A co-defensive player of the year signed with San Jacinto College.

Good Luck to all the Ladies in District 26-AAA.