PDA

View Full Version : 3ADL Wikipedia Page

big daddy russ
01-31-2010, 12:54 AM
I started a Wikipedia page, I just need ya'll to do some editing for me.

Also need help with the technical stuff--actually posting an article and/or referencing this material. I have no idea how to do all that.

You must have 10 edits on Wikipedia (I don't) to post an article. If anyone else has a Wikipedia account and can post, I'd appreciate the help. We'll let it go through the ringer on here and then post it.

Thank you,

-Russ

big daddy russ
01-31-2010, 12:54 AM
3A Downlow is a website that covers 3A Texas high school football with dedicated pages to each 3A District and each 3A Region in the state. Also, the site houses Texas' most popular class-specific message board, according to TexasPrepInsider.com (a subsidiary of Scout.com). (1)

The Downlow emphasizes heavy member involvement and the majority of the information and content is member-maintained and member-generated through volunteer efforts. Some have said this leads to a stronger sense of community on the board.

Though no known newspapers currently use the site's rankings, the Aransas Pass Progress and Ingleside Index used them from 2002 through 2003. (2) The only publication currently linking information in the site is Jerry's Football Ratings, otherwise known as Pigskin Prep. (3)
Contents
[hide]

* 1 History
* 2 Website Statistics
* 3 Financial
* 4 Past Forum Moderators
* 5 Notable Members
* 6 References
* 7 External links

-------------------------------------
[edit] History

The website was created by then-high school student Derick Zimmerman (forum name Gobbla2001) and Traci Logue (bearcat1) in 2000. The two were members of another high school football forum (***********.com, aka "The Pig") and were looking for a place to discuss 3A football more in-depth. They registered a Bravenet forum and the website was officially begun.

During their time working with the Bravenet forum, they met the current administrator of the site, Matt Arnold. Arnold approached them with the idea of securing a domain name and offered his services as an IT man to help get it running. By summer 2001, Zimmerman, Logue, and the administrator had broken off from their former host site and acquired their own domain. The new site carried the old message board over and added a front page with scores, district standings, some 3A history, and other football-relevant information. It also got a facelift with a new logo (which has evolved a little bit over time) and the black page background with white text for which it is known today.

By early 2004, Logue had left to pursue other ventures and left the site to Zimmerman and Arnold, the administrator. They were being helped in large part by Matthew Stepp (forum name Matt328) and another poster under the name Jacket2000. The two handled regional and district pages, state rankings, and were the primary moderators of the board. Zimmerman's contributions had become increasingly limited due to school and work, so Stepp and Jacket2000 took over much of the daily operations.

There was a disagreement, however, between Jacket2000 and the other moderators and board members. The fallout was Jacket2000 leaving the site and Zimmerman stepping down as owner. This was the site's most tumultuous time, as the site nearly failed. By default, with Zimmerman and Jacket2000 no longer having a role in the Downlow's daily operations, the site fell into Stepp's ownership.

Not only was the board going through a tough time, Stepp found himself stretched thin in his personal life. His career and his new role as owner and operator of the 3A downlow were pulling him in different directions. Stepp decided to simplify the site and find some help. He discontinued the front page along with regional and district pages and brought a new team of four moderators into the fold. The new moderators were Tony Knox (screen name Sinton66), Kellye Simmons (Ranger Mom), Debbie Terry (LH Panther Mom), and Matt (slpybear the bullfan). The 3A Downlow was rebuilt starting with the forum.

On September 6, 2007 at 12:01 AM, three years after taking over and bringing stability to the website, Stepp relinquished ownership of the 3A Downlow with the following statement:

"As of midnight tonight I will be relinquishing my ownership of 3A Down Low to Admin (Matt), sinton66 (Tony), SlypyBear (Matt) and Old Green (Val). This was not a decision that I came to overnight, it is something I have pondered for at least 18 months. Like most when I first started helping with the site I never dreamed it would turn into this. The community and growth of the site has been truly a blessing, I never thought as I would spend hours on end in the UTA library doing previews, updating pages, etc that all this would happen.

3A DownLow has given me opprotunities I would have never imagined and for that I will always be in debt to everyone here and as much as I love the site its time for me to go. My involvement with TexasPrepInsider (formerly TexasPrepXtra) and my increased involvement this year with the Dallas Morning News has basically taken me away from the site. The site deserves someone who will be able to devote their undivided attention to it and with the 4 new owners I am more than confident this will be the case. The four new owners will operate the site in much the same way I would, which is the main reason why I agreed to the transition.

Ranger Mom, pirate4state and LHPM will all stay as mods as long as they would like. So no worries there!

This site is a great community and I hope it will continue to remian. I do want to set the record straight on one thing, me shutting the site down a few weeks back was not some hissy fit that I threw where I picked up my toys and went home. There was a method to the madness. At the time of the site being shut down the bickering and complaining on the board had gotten out of hand, I was not going to sit by and watch my friends get thrown under the bus. I used the old adage, 'you never know what you have until its gone," and I took the board away for a while. I wanted everyone to take a step back and think for a minute what the board means to them and to be honest I think it has worked for the most part.

I will still be lurking around and posting from time to time, so don't look at it like I am dying!

Thanks for everything 3ADL!" (4)

The new owners started by getting the website's finances in order. Completely member-supported at the time, they posted monthly budget goals and money raised. Finally, they decided to let advertisers on the site on a limited basis to pay for site hosting and maintenance.

Today, the 3A Downlow is still owned by Tony Knox, Matt Slypybear, Val Brown, and Matt Arnold. On a side note, the Administrator is the one owner/operator who has been with the site since inception.

[edit] Website Statistics

Website traffic peaks during the Texas high school football season, which runs from August through December every year. Though the website's forum welcomes discussion of all sports, in its current form it tends to cater to football talk. With pages dedicated to football scores, standings, and history, activity falls off during the winter, spring, and summer seasons.

According to Compete.com's Website Analytics tool (5), the 3A Downlow experienced nearly 9,000 unique visitors during September 2009. The number was nearly triple the 12-month low of 3,208 experienced in June of that same year.

A unique phenomenon, however, is that the website is visited more frequently during the winter and spring than during football season. Although February experienced the second-fewest unique visitors of 2009 (with 3,644), it also recorded more visits than any other time during the year. The site was visited 80,214 times during that month.

[edit] Financial

According to Website Outlook (6), the 3A Downlow currently has an estimated worth of $3,095.20 USD. Though largely member-supported, the 3A Downlow does offer outside advertising on a limited basis. Currently, pop-up ads are not allowed. The site currently brings in roughly $127 per month in advertising revenue.

--------------------------------------
[edit] Past Forum Moderators

(In order of appearance)

Admin***
bearcat1--!!
Gobbla2001
Matt328
Jacket2000--!!
Toby--!!
Sinton66***
Old Green***
RangerMom*
LH Panther Mom*
Pirate4State
44inarow*
WOS87*
kepdawg*

!! Denotes inactive member
* Denotes current forum moderator.
***Denotes current owner/operator.

[edit] Notable Members

Matthew Stepp- Writer and columnist for Scout.com. One of the state's most knowledgeable experts on Texas 3A high school football, Dallas/Fort Worth metro football, and summer 7-on-7 football.

Christopher Boehme, M.D.- Prominent Texas high school football historian.

[edit] References

1. http://hstexas.scout.com/2/637629.html

2. Smith, Russell. Former sports editor. Personal interview. 30 January 2010

3. http://www.texasfootballratings.com/LinksPage.html

4. http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69696&highlight=ownership+downlow

5. http://siteanalytics.compete.com/3adownlow.com/

6. http://www.websiteoutlook.com/www.3adownlow.com

TheDOCTORdre
01-31-2010, 01:04 AM
I would like to point out that I was moderator for a day, and believe that I should be included in the list of past moderators

big daddy russ
01-31-2010, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
I would like to point out that I was moderator for a day, and believe that I should be included in the list of past moderators
You were? I never knew that. What moderators did you come between timewise? I'll still you in there, Dre.

bobcat4life
01-31-2010, 01:08 AM
great job Russ! I think its really well written. I think the history of the DL and all the stuff from before I got here is really interesting

TheDOCTORdre
01-31-2010, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
You were? I never knew that. What moderators did you come between timewise? I'll still you in there, Dre.

I dont know if it really counts, it was that time RM and LHPM had that aprils fools joke heres the thread

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43123&perpage=15&highlight=husband text april&pagenumber=4

Txbroadcaster
01-31-2010, 01:14 AM
Need to add a most notable members and most notoriou past members

big daddy russ
01-31-2010, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Need to add a most notable members and most notoriou past members
I was going to, but Wikipedia's stricter than I thought they'd be. If it's a website that's being Wiki'd, you have to show that it's a legitimate source of information by citing outside references.

Thank God I still have a few newspapers from back in the day to give the site some legitimacy.

Basically, I'm scared to try anything like that until we get the page approved. Then everything's fair game.

bobcat4life
01-31-2010, 01:26 AM
I dont know if it really counts, it was that time RM and LHPM had that aprils fools joke heres the thread

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43123&perpage=15&highlight=husband text april&pagenumber=4 that may be the best thread in 3ADL history

bobcat4life
01-31-2010, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Need to add a most notable members and most notoriou past members Yay! IM GONNA BE ON WIKIPEDIA! WIKIBOB!!!

bobcat4life
01-31-2010, 01:32 AM
I was going to, but Wikipedia's stricter than I thought they'd be. If it's a website that's being Wiki'd, you have to show that it's a legitimate source of information by citing outside references.

Thank God I still have a few newspapers from back in the day to give the site some legitimacy.

Basically, I'm scared to try anything like that until we get the page approved. Then everything's fair game. just get one of the mods to pull one of the post padding threads and then post a link for those to add your post padders. then another with famous posts and then the one of the top 100 posters for the notable members

big daddy russ
01-31-2010, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by bobcat4life
just get one of the mods to pull one of the post padding threads and then post a link for those to add your post padders. then another with famous posts and then the one of the top 100 posters for the notable members
Ha!

Let's just get it on Wikipedia first. :D

bobcat4life
01-31-2010, 01:38 AM
Ha!

Let's just get it on Wikipedia first. :D ok. the day it hits wikipedia is the day we need to put that stuff on there

lvbears32
01-31-2010, 01:52 AM
agreed. classsic

eagles_victory
01-31-2010, 02:01 AM
Don't forget to post on there that Matthew Mcconaughey posted on the downlow

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47446&highlight=Matthew+Mcconaughey

bobcat4life
01-31-2010, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Don't forget to post on there that Matthew Mcconaughey posted on the downlow

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47446&highlight=Matthew+Mcconaughey why did all the good stuff happen before I got here?

sinton66
01-31-2010, 09:02 AM
Russ, slpybear isn't an owner anymore. The other three of us took his part on his request. There are only three owners now.

K-MAC Chuck
01-31-2010, 09:32 AM
why did all the good stuff happen before I got here?

Ha! Hey Bobcat, I feel the same way sometimes! :thumbsup:

K-MAC Chuck
01-31-2010, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
Russ, slpybear isn't an owner anymore. The other three of us took his part on his request. There are only three owners now.

And you 3 are doing a great job with the site, I might add..

sinton66
01-31-2010, 09:52 AM
Also, just as a correction of information, we are currently still 100% funded by member donations. We haven't collected a penny from advertisements as of yet. There is a reason for that which I won't go into here, but that's where we are right now.

Old Tiger
01-31-2010, 09:55 AM
Who do we talk to about purchasing part of this website?

LH Panther Mom
01-31-2010, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
Who do we talk to about purchasing part of this website?
You don't. :p

Old Tiger
01-31-2010, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
You don't. :p Child please....when the green backs start talking people start walking!

Ranger Mom
01-31-2010, 10:03 AM
Great job Russ!!

That was very interesting!!!!!!!

sinton66
01-31-2010, 10:05 AM
Child please....when the green backs start talking people start walking!

No part of this site is currently for sale.

Old Tiger
01-31-2010, 10:09 AM
No part of this site is currently for sale. Can I buy the Mascots page?

Ranger Mom
01-31-2010, 10:17 AM
Maybe it's there and I missed it, but shouldn't we add that the regional pages are back up along with a host of other areas of info?

BwdLion73
01-31-2010, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the quick history lesson BDR that answered a lot of questions I had always wondered about. Maybe the history needs to be a sticky? Thanks again.
:) :clap:

Green Bling
01-31-2010, 11:39 AM
Thanks, BDR. Glad I asked about the background of DL on the trivia thread. This is great! Well done! I also didn't know about the Cuero connection back to the beginnings of the site. Very interesting.

Emerson1
01-31-2010, 11:47 AM
3afan2k3 was a moderator for a couple of hours too

Emerson1
01-31-2010, 11:48 AM
that may be the best thread in 3ADL history
Not even close.

You are probably to new to know about the condom story though.

sinton66
01-31-2010, 01:01 PM
Those that were appointed as temporary mods were done as a JOKE, and shouldn't be listed.

Matthew328
01-31-2010, 01:04 PM
Well done Russ, I forgot about my goodbye post when I relinqueshed ownership of the site.

Diocletian
01-31-2010, 01:15 PM
There is so much more that needs to be added to that "History" section.

You need to get with the MODs and see if you can add the down right Amazing things they have done to keep this site alive....

I know for a fact there is one MOD not getting enough credit for the financial sacrifices they made in 2008...and if it wasn't for that donation this site probably wouldn't be here right now.

I'd also suggest you let the players that edit the website every week do the editing of the page themselves.

Green Bling
01-31-2010, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Not even close.

You are probably to new to know about the condom story though.
These old thread are great! OK, Mods, help us out by reposting the condom story thread. :D :D

bobcat4life
01-31-2010, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Not even close.

You are probably to new to know about the condom story though. link?

lvbears32
01-31-2010, 01:29 PM
link?

please?

Ranger Mom
01-31-2010, 02:45 PM
link?

Since it was my thread....I knew where it was.

The condom story (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14230)

Emerson1
01-31-2010, 02:55 PM
So is the page up yet?

The great Boat Sig Battle needs to have a mention

Green Bling
01-31-2010, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

The condom story (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14230)
RM. that is absolutely priceless. I vote that this thread be reposted annually around this time when things get slow, and we need to be entertained. AND bless your heart!

Old Tiger
01-31-2010, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Green Bling
RM. that is absolutely priceless. I vote that this thread be reposted annually around this time when things get slow, and we need to be entertained. AND bless your heart! Don't feel sorry for her she's evil. :D

Green Bling
01-31-2010, 03:10 PM
Don't feel sorry for her she's evil. :D :D :D

bobcat4life
01-31-2010, 03:28 PM

The condom story (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14230) hahahahaha that was one of the greatest things Ive ever read!:D :D

lvbears32
01-31-2010, 04:05 PM
thats crazy funny! rotfl!

LH Panther Mom
01-31-2010, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Diocletian
I'd also suggest you let the players that edit the website every week do the editing of the page themselves.
They do that now. ;)

TheDOCTORdre
01-31-2010, 06:12 PM
Those that were appointed as temporary mods were done as a JOKE, and shouldn't be listed.

dont listen to him russ, I should be on the list

sinton66
01-31-2010, 06:30 PM
dont listen to him russ, I should be on the list

I have the keys to the control panel, ya know.;)

TheDOCTORdre
01-31-2010, 09:02 PM
I have the keys to the control panel, ya know.;)

i have the keys to a 2000 dodge caravan, beat that:D

bobcat4life
01-31-2010, 09:11 PM
i have the keys to a 2000 dodge caravan, beat that:D I have the key to an abandoned RV :D

sinton66
01-31-2010, 10:36 PM

I have the keys to a 1998 F150.

Old Green
01-31-2010, 11:02 PM
Good Job.

NastySlot
02-01-2010, 01:17 AM

i have the keys to the gym

bobcat4life
02-01-2010, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
i have the keys to the gym only 3 people on the 3ADL even bothers to work out. most are glad you lock them out:D

Ranger Mom
02-22-2010, 03:27 PM
Whatever happened with this??

Anything?

Sweetwater Red
02-22-2010, 05:29 PM
Whatever happened with this??

Anything?

I don't know. But have you ever seen this?

3ADownlow (http://www.surcentro.com/en/info/www.3adownlow.com)

Apparently this board gets 8,824 "unique" and 39,243 normal(?)
posters per month. :thinking:

Ranger Mom
02-22-2010, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
I don't know. But have you ever seen this?

3ADownlow (http://www.surcentro.com/en/info/www.3adownlow.com)

Apparently this board gets 8,824 "unique" and 39,243 normal(?)
posters per month. :thinking:

Us old-timers are definitely unique....

When tracking the amount of traffic on a Web site, it refers to a person who visits a Web site more than once within a specified period of time. Software that tracks and counts Web site traffic can distinguish between visitors who only visit the site once and unique visitors who return to the site. Different from a site's hits or page views -- which are measured by the number of files that are requested from a site -- unique visitors are measured according to their unique IP addresses, which are like online fingerprints, and unique visitors are counted only once no matter how many times they visit the site. There are some ISPs that use Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol, such as AOL and cable modem providers, which use different IPs for every file requested, making one visitor look like many. In this case, a single IP address does not indicate a unique visitor.

webopedia (http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/U/unique_visitor.html)

skins4life
02-22-2010, 06:10 PM

I have the keys to a '69 Chevelle!! :cool:

Sweetwater Red
02-22-2010, 06:11 PM
Us old-timers are definitely unique....

When tracking the amount of traffic on a Web site, it refers to a person who visits a Web site more than once within a specified period of time. Software that tracks and counts Web site traffic can distinguish between visitors who only visit the site once and unique visitors who return to the site. Different from a site's hits or page views -- which are measured by the number of files that are requested from a site -- unique visitors are measured according to their unique IP addresses, which are like online fingerprints, and unique visitors are counted only once no matter how many times they visit the site. There are some ISPs that use Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol, such as AOL and cable modem providers, which use different IPs for every file requested, making one visitor look like many. In this case, a single IP address does not indicate a unique visitor.

webopedia (http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/U/unique_visitor.html)

I typed posters and it should've been visitiors. :doh:

Hmmmm. Interesting. :thinking: