PDA

View Full Version : If You Can't Beat Them Injure Them.

PhiI C
01-30-2010, 08:13 PM
See article below. This is alarming when you want to win a game by knocking out members of the other team through injury. I know when I played football you were told to hit hard but you were also told to keep it clean and no cheap shots. In other words you were to hit with the purpose of winning but not to injure other players. Our coaches always told us to play clean ball no matter what the other teams did.
What is especially alarming is that this is coming from a coach. In the 70s the Oakland Raiders were known for cheap shots and former Pittsburgh Coach Chuck Noll called them the criminal element in pro football. Nowadays you get articles like this and then there are bounties you hear about. That is alarming.
I know I want the Sinton Pirates to win by hitting hard but also by clean playing. I don't like injuries on either team. Win who you have and beat who the other team has. I don't think that mentality shown by the Saints coach has entered into college or high school football and hope it never does.
I don't know if the government is going to have to start policing sports or not but it is a shame when that talk actually comes from a coach. It is one thing for fans to cheer while a player is on the field injured but for those inside it increases the alarm.
Unfortunately injuries do happen in football and all sports but usually they involve clean play and are unavoidable. It is hard enough to stay injury free wihtout other people trying to take you out on purpose.
I have seen movies set in the future about sports that involve killing like the gladiators in Rome. Are those movies foretellers of the future? Is this article the Spartucus that is going to get sports like that in existence?
I hope not and hope I am just overreacting but still it is better to err on the side of caution.
Also that kind of talk can bring out the worse in fans. Remember there are wierd sports movies like Two Minute Warning that are shown on tv once in a while.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/28/gregg-williams-suggests-the-saints-want-to-injure-manning/

coach
01-31-2010, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by PhiI C
See article below. This is alarming when you want to win a game by knocking out members of the other team through injury. I know when I played football you were told to hit hard but you were also told to keep it clean and no cheap shots. In other words you were to hit with the purpose of winning but not to injure other players. Our coaches always told us to play clean ball no matter what the other teams did.
What is especially alarming is that this is coming from a coach. In the 70s the Oakland Raiders were known for cheap shots and former Pittsburgh Coach Chuck Noll called them the criminal element in pro football. Nowadays you get articles like this and then there are bounties you hear about. That is alarming.
I know I want the Sinton Pirates to win by hitting hard but also by clean playing. I don't like injuries on either team. Win who you have and beat who the other team has. I don't think that mentality shown by the Saints coach has entered into college or high school football and hope it never does.
I don't know if the government is going to have to start policing sports or not but it is a shame when that talk actually comes from a coach. It is one thing for fans to cheer while a player is on the field injured but for those inside it increases the alarm.
Unfortunately injuries do happen in football and all sports but usually they involve clean play and are unavoidable. It is hard enough to stay injury free wihtout other people trying to take you out on purpose.
I have seen movies set in the future about sports that involve killing like the gladiators in Rome. Are those movies foretellers of the future? Is this article the Spartucus that is going to get sports like that in existence?
I hope not and hope I am just overreacting but still it is better to err on the side of caution.
Also that kind of talk can bring out the worse in fans. Remember there are wierd sports movies like Two Minute Warning that are shown on tv once in a while.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/28/gregg-williams-suggests-the-saints-want-to-injure-manning/

dont worry phil....peyton and the colts are going to win without any cheap shot injuries

PhiI C
01-31-2010, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by coach
dont worry phil....peyton and the colts are going to win without any cheap shot injuries

I think so coach but still that is disturbing when a coach indicates what he said.

bigwood33
01-31-2010, 10:56 AM
Phil, I hate to burst your bubble but this has gone on at every level since the beginning of football. The objective may not have always beet to seriously injure the competition but certainly it has been used to knock out opposing players at least for that game or to keep a player from being as effective. I know that in the late 70's Brownwood had a dominant defensive lineman that Stephenville had no answer for. They devised a play that they called "Kill Gill" which involved the center engaging him high and both guards going low for his knees. It was a classic chop block but with 2 players going for the knees. Luckily he (Gill) had a cousin who was a SHS student and he warned him that it was coming. He was able to avoid the potential injury situation by engaging the guard first so as to not be in an exposed position.

bwdlionfan
01-31-2010, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by bigwood33
Phil, I hate to burst your bubble but this has gone on at every level since the beginning of football. The objective may not have always beet to seriously injure the competition but certainly it has been used to knock out opposing players at least for that game or to keep a player from being as effective. I know that in the late 70's Brownwood had a dominant defensive lineman that Stephenville had no answer for. They devised a play that they called "Kill Gill" which involved the center engaging him high and both guards going low for his knees. It was a classic chop block but with 2 players going for the knees. Luckily he (Gill) had a cousin who was a SHS student and he warned him that it was coming. He was able to avoid the potential injury situation by engaging the guard first so as to not be in an exposed position.

Sounds about how they play against us still today.

STANG RED
01-31-2010, 02:11 PM
After the article, I went on to read many of the posts about the article. I found it a bit ironic to read many vikings fans posts complianing about how hard the saints went after Farve. But only one week earlier, their own defense went every big as hard after Romo.

PhiI C
01-31-2010, 02:32 PM

:(

NateDawg39
01-31-2010, 02:40 PM
Phil, I hate to burst your bubble but this has gone on at every level since the beginning of football. The objective may not have always beet to seriously injure the competition but certainly it has been used to knock out opposing players at least for that game or to keep a player from being as effective. I know that in the late 70's Brownwood had a dominant defensive lineman that Stephenville had no answer for. They devised a play that they called "Kill Gill" which involved the center engaging him high and both guards going low for his knees. It was a classic chop block but with 2 players going for the knees. Luckily he (Gill) had a cousin who was a SHS student and he warned him that it was coming. He was able to avoid the potential injury situation by engaging the guard first so as to not be in an exposed position. I think he knew that, but it is pretty sad that a player on the pro level would come out and admit it.

CelinaCatFan
01-31-2010, 06:28 PM
Am I the only one that read this title and thought it was the title of Tonya Harding's biography?

bigwood33
01-31-2010, 06:58 PM
Buddy Ryan was famous for his bounties.

bandera7
01-31-2010, 07:46 PM
I didnt have a problem with anything he said until he started talking about it is worth it if he doesnt get back up. But saying you plan on giving him some remember me shots is not a big deal...it only became dirty when he said penalties would be worth it if Manning stays down.

jdawg2012
02-01-2010, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by PhiI C

WOO-HOO! Knock him out! Maybe they can hit him so hard that his accent will change too. :D