PDA

View Full Version : Dobies take on Giddings Fitzhenry

Darren
01-30-2010, 09:35 AM
Fitzhenry snubs Longhorns
By John Bechtle, Sports Editor
Just days after being confirmed as the future leader of Dobie High School football, Derek Fitzhenry (shown above) has left Dobie High School and Pasadena Independent School District officials feeling both angry and betrayed.
Fitzhenry, who gained district board approval and was later introduced to the Dobie players Jan. 20, has had a change of heart and will remain as varsity head coach and campus athletic coordinator at Class 3A Giddings.
According to an article published on the Austin American-Statesman’s Web site, www.statesman.com, Fitzhenry gathered with members of his family Sunday, Jan. 24, and ultimately decided to stay home.
The problem with that? He apparently elected not to contact Dobie High School principal Steve Jamail or district athletic director Mike Stephens regarding his decision.
Expected to arrive at Dobie the morning of Jan. 25, Fitz-henry simply did not show up. Instead, he returned Stephens’ phone call at roughly mid-day, citing the desire of him and his family to remain in Giddings as his reason for backing out on Dobie.
Fitzhenry’s family wanted him to stay in Giddings, as did members of that community and many of the school’s football players. So he obliged.
According to the AAS story, Fitzhenry said, “It’s been very tough to look at all of the things as far as a career move. But when you sit down and look at it, a career isn’t just the A’s (the school’s Class 3A designation) and the money you make. It’s the program you have.”
Yet with Fitzhenry having delivered a bit of embarrass-ment along with his snub, Jamail has moved quickly to dispel some of the ideas that have surfaced regarding Fitz-henry’s diss of Dobie.
Fitzhenry was not offered a salary nearing $100,000, nor was he given the option of mulling over the weekend whether or not to accept Dobie’s offer. The fact is, when he left the Houston area Jan. 21, he was the Longhorns’ new head coach. Thus, Fitzhenry has since submitted a letter of resignation to Jamail.
There’s more. Fitzhenry was not denied the opportunity to bring in his chosen assistant coaches, another topic that has turned up in reports.
As fast as Fitzhenry scooted out of town, there was little time for him to be rebuffed on that issue.
The fact is Jamail told the Leader Jan. 20 that “we’re going to try to help coach develop the program the way he sees fit, and that includes getting the resources in place that he feels like are needed to win. That certainly includes coaching staff maneuvers.”
So where does Dobie go from here? This is where the situation gets a little more sticky.
Following Fitzhenry’s antics, school officials turned to No. 2 choice Troy Aduddell, the longtime Clear Lake High School head coach.
The two sides were said to be close on an agreement, but sources from both districts have told the Leader no deal is in place.
On Jan. 27, a source familiar with the situation told the Leader that Jim Phillips of Greenville High School, the committee’s No. 3 choice, is expected to interview.
Later that afternoon, that same source informed the Leader that a decision would not come prior to press time.
What has become increasingly evident is that 1990 Dobie High School graduate Carey Sink, the program’s interim head coach during the final four games in 2009 and who has overseen offseason activities, remains in limbo.
Sink has the overwhelming support of both the Dobie players and selected faculty members.
Yet despite letters of support on his behalf written by the aforementioned parties, the committee has, at least to this point, steered away from going with Sink.
A lack of varsity head coaching experience has worked against Sink in the process.
In fact, only once in school history has Dobie hired a head coach with no previous varsity leadership experience.
That man was Stephens, currently the district’s athletic director and a member of the search committee.
After five years of missing the playoffs, it’s clear that Dobie is in a hurry to rebuild its once-lofty status and get back to the postseason.
Does a seasoned, varsity-tested head coach give the Longhorns their best chance at doing so? Perhaps.
In addition, after supporting Sink and then being introduced to Ftizhenry before he bailed out, it’s also fair to say the program’s players deserve someone who can quickly restore a sense of family.
Whether that person is Sink or someone else is yet to be decided.
It has been noted that when the job was vacated by Cotton months ago, there was at least a perceived sense of pressure from district higher-ups for the school to go big – that is to select with a head coach/campus athletic coordinator with previous experience in the roles.
Fair enough for sure. But that same pressure must not have existed when Pasadena Memorial High School varsity head coach/campus athletic coordinator John Snelson was hired by then school principal Billie Smith despite not having experience in the roles.
What has Snelson done? How about four playoff appearances in four seasons, including the 2009 District 22-5A crown?
This much is clear. The school’s top pick, Fitzhenry, is out of the picture and has left school and district officials angered along the way. The No. 2 choice has also apparently turned away from the job after being close to agreeing.
Whether Phillips will be offered the dual role or whether he will accept is yet to be determined.
When word was received that a decision would not be forthcoming Jan. 27 prior to press time, there was neither an indication of where the committee stands in the process.
At Dobie, Stephens remained on board for five seasons before being named the district’s assistant athletic director.
After that, both Tommy Kaiser and Cotton were around for three seasons.
The best thing to do? Go to the Leader Web site at www.southbeltleader.com for up-to-date news.
Seeking someone who might bring a stronger foundation, so far the committee has missed and many have noticed. Stay tuned.
E-mail mynews@southbeltleader.com with news items of interest.
Return to top of page

rancher
01-30-2010, 10:51 AM
In speaking with my friend close to the situation, everyone in the district is mad as hell over the situation and will let the antics of Fitzhenry be known in all coaching circles and school districts. He and I both agreeded that this episiode along with the TJ Mills fiasco at Odessa and nearby LaPorte will make it very very hard for a 3A coach in the future to land a 5A job. I remember what Stoney Case told me after the Mills debacle, "A 3A coach will nerve be considered here again." Too much ego is the problem and he is trying to fleece Giddings for more money.

zebrablue2
01-30-2010, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by rancher
In speaking with my friend close to the situation, everyone in the district is mad as hell over the situation and will let the antics of Fitzhenry be known in all coaching circles and school districts. He and I both agreeded that this episiode along with the TJ Mills fiasco at Odessa and nearby LaPorte will make it very very hard for a 3A coach in the future to land a 5A job. I remember what Stoney Case told me after the Mills debacle, "A 3A coach will nerve be considered here again." Too much ego is the problem and he is trying to fleece Giddings for more money.

I have to agree.. He pretty well burned his bridge to move up in his life. A person has the right to change their mind, but this was way too late in the process. JMO!!

Milk That Cow
01-30-2010, 04:56 PM
Not surprised at all from the reaction of the Dobie folks...

Coach Fitzhenry didn't handle this well as all...

I've been following the Buffs for a very long time and this is as divided a community/coaching staff/school board, etc... as I've ever seen...

I thought winning heals all wounds...

In our case it does not...

In my humble opinion, it's not gonna get better

it's gonna get worse...

YTBulldogs
01-30-2010, 05:46 PM
Dobie got hosed here. Then, for Fitzhenry to not even show up to inform Dobie his change of heart in person, maybe with a tear in the eye---he calls them and says he changed his mind and will remain in Giddings. Not good.

But, this I know---win, and all is forgotten. Winning does heal everything when it comes to football in Texas. If Dobie wins, they'll forget about the Fitzhenry fiasco, and if Giddings wins, they'll forget Fitzhenry wanted to dump them.

I just hope Dobie get's their #2 guy. He might be upset cause they first selected Fitzhenry and not him. Dobie is the real loser here, and I hope it comes out ok for them ASAP.

Some say Fitzhenry did this to get something from Giddings ISD in the end. I hope not. Not a cool method IMO.

Very interesting I must say.

Green Bling
01-30-2010, 06:19 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by YTBulldogs
[B]
I just hope Dobie get's their #2 guy. He might be upset cause they first selected Fitzhenry and not him. Dobie is the real loser here, and I hope it comes out ok for them ASAP.

You know, YTB, it all depends on the man how he accepts being chosen 2nd. Mark Reeves came to Cuero as second choice, and he certainly never appeared upset or the least bit resentful at being a 2nd choice. I think this is pretty common in the coaching profession.

YTBulldogs
01-30-2010, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Green Bling
[QUOTE]Originally posted by YTBulldogs
[B]

You know, YTB, it all depends on the man how he accepts being chosen 2nd. Mark Reeves came to Cuero as second choice, and he certainly never appeared upset or the least bit resentful at being a 2nd choice. I think this is pretty common in the coaching profession.

For Dobie sake, I hope this is the case GB. Kids need a coach that wants to be there. Be it the Dobie kids or the Giddings kids.

Coach or Die 67
01-30-2010, 07:09 PM
Giddings and Dobie would be alot better off w/o Fitzhenry.

1st and goal
01-31-2010, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Coach or Die 67
Giddings and Dobie would be alot better off w/o Fitzhenry.

So, you did everything to sign up to the board all for this? Howabout you put something constructive up or at least give some insight or background?

I'm glad Fitz is staying. Did he handle all this as slick as a politician? No. I'm going out on a limb here and say that the emotional side of him couldn't quit on the kids here at Giddings. If I'm right, I fully respect the man. Don't bash him for staying. We've all made mistakes on how we've handled things. Don't be a hypocrite.

BTW, the paper reported him as saying something like we have the talent next year to make another run at state.

Rule #76
01-31-2010, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by 1st and goal
So, you did everything to sign up to the board all for this? Howabout you put something constructive up or at least give some insight or background?

I'm glad Fitz is staying. Did he handle all this as slick as a politician? No. I'm going out on a limb here and say that the emotional side of him couldn't quit on the kids here at Giddings. If I'm right, I fully respect the man. Don't bash him for staying. We've all made mistakes on how we've handled things. Don't be a hypocrite.

BTW, the paper reported him as saying something like we have the talent next year to make another run at state.

Fitz is a great football coach w/out a doubt. That shouldn't be all that is said good about him though. He repeatedly has coaches leave, some that he brought with him, has burned bridges with many opposing coaches over the years, doesn't care about any sport other than football, and Giddings has been in more fights and have had more players kicked out of games since he has arrived in town.

There have been teams in Giddings that have made runs, maybe not as many as the Fitz era, but have made runs. Those teams were respected by others. The 98 semi final team recieved the state sportsmanship award!!! May not seem important to some but that is what use to be thought about Giddings football, now its that they play dirty. You don't hear about Cuero, Liberty Hill, Ablinene Wylie or Liberty Eylau teams that win year in and year out carrying around this reputation. Some need to take this into consideration b/4 you take up for a man like that.

Just a copule more thoughts for some to think about!!!

1st and goal
01-31-2010, 08:51 PM
I've watched them thru binoculars and video tape (during Fitz's reign) and many of the fights are retaliation. I could get specific but will not at this time on this board. So I guess we are bad at containing our temper until the next play. We don't play any dirtier than our opponent. In fact, I've seen many teams try to injure our star players in the pile or out on the fringes of the play. Have your team play Elgin for about 4 years and see if your team doesn't get in any quarrels.

We have a good class of fine young men coming back next year. It's a tough district and the rivalries are extremely emotional. Nothing I love more than to see a clean hard hitting game.

Coaches come and go at most schools frequently looking to "move up". Its a normal, dynamic situation. Fitz has done a great job at getting players scholarships. We have had some good atheletes that know how to compete as a team but only a couple/few "blue chippers".

As far as other sports, most all are competing at a very high level. Girls basketball will probably do well in the playoffs. Wait til you read about our baseball team this year. I'm exited about them.
PS. I don't have any inside scoop. No kids involved. Not married to any teachers. I'm just an avid football fan that enjoys going to games.

shamu85
01-31-2010, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by 1st and goal
I've watched them thru binoculars and video tape (during Fitz's reign) and many of the fights are retaliation. I could get specific but will not at this time on this board. So I guess we are bad at containing our temper until the next play. We don't play any dirtier than our opponent. In fact, I've seen many teams try to injure our star players in the pile or out on the fringes of the play. Have your team play Elgin for about 4 years and see if your team doesn't get in any quarrels.

We have a good class of fine young men coming back next year. It's a tough district and the rivalries are extremely emotional. Nothing I love more than to see a clean hard hitting game.

Coaches come and go at most schools frequently looking to "move up". Its a normal, dynamic situation. Fitz has done a great job at getting players scholarships. We have had some good atheletes that know how to compete as a team but only a couple/few "blue chippers".

As far as other sports, most all are competing at a very high level. Girls basketball will probably do well in the playoffs. Wait til you read about our baseball team this year. I'm exited about them.
PS. I don't have any inside scoop. No kids involved. Not married to any teachers. I'm just an avid football fan that enjoys going to games.

Why is it that every game I have seen Giddings play that Fitzhenry was coaching, there has been either multiple personal fouls on Giddings, or downright fights? The common denominator in the fighting/fouls has been Giddings, not Bellville, not LaVega, not Liberty Hill (opponents I have seen them play).

YTBulldogs
01-31-2010, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by shamu85
Why is it that every game I have seen Giddings play that Fitzhenry was coaching, there has been either multiple personal fouls on Giddings, or downright fights? The common denominator in the fighting/fouls has been Giddings, not Bellville, not LaVega, not Liberty Hill (opponents I have seen them play).

Maybe Giddings State School style is wearing off on the Buffs?

Buffgal
02-01-2010, 08:46 AM
[i]S. I don't have any inside scoop. No kids involved. Not married to any teachers. I'm just an avid football fan that enjoys going to games. [/B]

You are also most likely one of the many who only know what they are reading in the many news sources (I've counted about nine, local and internet football related) one sided, fed to them as the truth by Fitz.

I have lived here 27 years, two kids, both have padded Fitz's resume considerably with their athletic success. Cross Country, Track, Cheerleading support for the teams, Football, Baseball. Neither would walk across the street to spit on him and both of their parents support them in their lack of respect for the man.

I personally have given 16 yrs of volunteer service to the Booster Club, teachers, athletes.

Everybody who knows me in Giddings knows that I have the most unique perspective on the past six years under this AD and the political manipulation of this town beginning with the Supt.

I promise all of you that nothing that I have written above has not been made known to the AD and the Supt especially in the last week after the bizarre timeline of Fitzhenry in Giddings and @ Dobie.

A Texas educator does not round up kids in school districts and preach over them like some kind of David Koresh and play with their emotions. How can any adult be that high on themselves????

Did Fitz ever give my son a motivational speech? Yes, he sure did. Many in fact. The best one and the last one. Rush called to tell him that he was going to concentrate on baseball and not go out for football. Fitz (our esteemed AD and reported in the local paper "hero to all the kids" reply "Who told you that you could be a college baseall player?"

Well, guess what, now he is.

I've got to take some medicine (you read between the lines on that one) and drink some more coffee.

Pray for our town, pray for Fitz, pray for me and pray for the school board. School board has been attempting to get this guy under control and with all of the Dobie fiasco, Fitz has just put these poor people into a huge legal mess.

I'm done, I've got to go make brownies for Rush's party and once again get my emotions under control, TODAY WILL BE A HAPPY DAY FOR MY SON, TODAY WILL BE A HAPPY DAY FOR MY SON.................my friends have instructed me to keep saying that.

AND FYI for all those in Giddings who keep trying to make this sound like all have an agenda. Here's another one for you.............My daughter just got engaged to Fitz's 1st QB in Giddings and my son just asked leecountylive. Dana Lehmann's son's GF to the prom. Add those to the agenda lists going around town. They make just as much sense.

Buffgal
02-01-2010, 09:32 AM
press release today to local media under the pic of Rush baseball signing picture.

To whom it may concern,

Wanted to first start off by saying how truly happy we are here at Howard College to have signed such a quality player in Rush Plumlee and to also have gained two quality people in his parents at the same time.

We started recruiting Rush in the summer after we saw him playing in Lubbock in a summer tournament for the Austin Wings baseball team which is one of, if not the most prestigious and historied summer programs in the country for summer baseball. His skill set behind the plate as a catcher combined with the talent he possesses at the plate as
a hitter made him a no doubt player that we needed to sign for our 2010 recruiting class.

Aside from his obvious baseball abilities, Rush also has qualities we are looking for in a player such as being a leader both on and off the field, a great student, and overall good kid to boot. Here at Howard we have built our teams with this mold in mind and Rush
Plumlee definitely fits that mold and we could not be more excited to have him now as a part of our team.

Rush was very highly recruited and courted by some of the best junior colleges in the state Navarro, Blinn and North Central Texas and we are just happy he made his choice to be here in West Texas at Howard College.

J-Bob Thomas
Asst Baseball Coach
Associate Scout Atlanta Braves
Office 432-264-5047

Fitz had absolutely nothing to do with this. He will be able to pad his resume once again without ever even shaking a kids hand when he & his teammates provided a State Semi Finalists Baseball Trophy. Coach Marlow had nothing to do with this summer baseball program either. At least, Coach Marlow because of his sons being the same age, took Rush in as a 5 year old, tee ball and on and has taught him high level fundamentals of baseball since then. && Rush has been chewed on plenty of times by Coach Marlow yet would still walk through fire for the guy because of the long history of friendship, respect and shared love of the game.

The good Lord was watching over us when Rush got the call to visit Howard College. I don't care if he rides the pine for the next two years, I know he is wanted, he is being coached by good good coaches and he will be worked hard but happy there playing alot of baseball.

I can also make another promise to Giddings. Our baseball team is so ready to get going with the season. Who knows how it will end? I can make this promise that when we lose, there will not be an article in the local paper saying that they are "Marlows buffaloes" They are the GIDDINGS Buffaloes. There will not be any things like "distractions and black clouds" that cost us the game. We will go out either losing to a better team or sucking it up as a team.

Thanks to the Sinton AD who showed our baseball boys exactly how an AD should act. Believe me, they were honored and suprised when you came into their dugout after Sintons one run playoff loss to the Buffs. You made a forever impression on them of class, dignity and respect. They needed it because they have never gotten it from their own AD.

If you think I have spoke my mind, let me assure you, I have edited it.

Ranger Mom
02-01-2010, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Buffgal
press release today to local media under the pic of Rush baseball signing picture.

To whom it may concern,

Wanted to first start off by saying how truly happy we are here at Howard College to have signed such a quality player in Rush Plumlee and to also have gained two quality people in his parents at the same time.

We started recruiting Rush in the summer after we saw him playing in Lubbock in a summer tournament for the Austin Wings baseball team which is one of, if not the most prestigious and historied summer programs in the country for summer baseball. His skill set behind the plate as a catcher combined with the talent he possesses at the plate as
a hitter made him a no doubt player that we needed to sign for our 2010 recruiting class.

Aside from his obvious baseball abilities, Rush also has qualities we are looking for in a player such as being a leader both on and off the field, a great student, and overall good kid to boot. Here at Howard we have built our teams with this mold in mind and Rush
Plumlee definitely fits that mold and we could not be more excited to have him now as a part of our team.

Rush was very highly recruited and courted by some of the best junior colleges in the state Navarro, Blinn and North Central Texas and we are just happy he made his choice to be here in West Texas at Howard College.

J-Bob Thomas
Asst Baseball Coach
Office 432-264-5047

Fitz had absolutely nothing to do with this. He will be able to pad his resume once again without ever even shaking a kids hand when he & his teammates provided a State Semi Finalists Baseball Trophy. Coach Marlow had nothing to do with this summer baseball program either. At least, Coach Marlow because of his sons being the same age, took Rush in as a 5 year old, tee ball and on and has taught him high level fundamentals of baseball since then. && Rush has been chewed on plenty of times by Coach Marlow yet would still walk through fire for the guy because of the long history of friendship, respect and shared love of the game.

The good Lord was watching over us when Rush got the call to visit Howard College. I don't care if he rides the pine for the next two years, I know he is wanted, he is being coached by good good coaches and he will be worked hard but happy there playing alot of baseball.

I can also make another promise to Giddings. Our baseball team is so ready to get going with the season. Who knows how it will end? I can make this promise that when we lose, there will not be an article in the local paper saying that they are "Marlows buffaloes" They are the GIDDINGS Buffaloes. There will not be any things like "distractions and black clouds" that cost us the game. We will go out either losing to a better team or sucking it up as a team.

Thanks to the Sinton AD who showed our baseball boys exactly how an AD should act. Believe me, they were honored and suprised when you came into their dugout after Sintons one run playoff loss to the Buffs. You made a forever impression on them of class, dignity and respect. They needed it because they have never gotten it from their own AD.

WOW!! Just WOW!!

On a lighter note....I would like to welcome your son to West Texas! Major congrats to him!!!! He will be 35 miles down the road from me!!

ccmom
02-01-2010, 09:40 AM
Buffgal, Congrats to your son and good luck to him! :clap:

Also, congrats to you for speaking your mind! :)

Coach or Die 67
02-01-2010, 09:55 AM
1st and Goal you know nothing but what you want to see. Fights and flags and hiring roughly new staffs every year is enough indication from me. I cannot say anything about X's and O's. A tremendous football coach. Leader and mentor?

rancher
02-01-2010, 10:39 AM
I can only comment on what I know or have witnessed regarding the Giddings AD. I have witnessed when Sealy and Giddings played, the thug behavior of the Giddings players after the game. What astounded me was the Giddings coaches who stood by and seemingly condoned this. When things got heated, they still did nothing but watch like they had a ticket to the fight. If this is also occuring with mutiple schools, the Supt. and School Board need to take a very hard look at the AD and the values he is teaching to the student athletic.

1st and goal
02-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Bufgal, Super congrats to Rush. He's earned it with his hard work. I did miss him on this past year's football team but I certainly understand. I wish he was playing closer to home but he'll definitely bring some wood to Howard's team.

hookandladder
02-01-2010, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Buffgal

To whom it may concern,

J-Bob Thomas
Asst Baseball Coach
Office 432-264-5047

Congrats to Rush also to Trey and Tye, I assume Brooks will follow suit next year, Your comment's on Coach Fitz come as no surprise to me. Wish the best of luck to them all, look forward to watching them play this year. LG will be working hard to compete with Giddings and the rest of D-25 teams, It' baseball time.