PDA

View Full Version : What are Street Agents in college recruiting?

Phil C
01-28-2010, 10:27 AM
I have heard the term used but I don't really understand what they are. I know they are used by several high school college football and basketball recruits (even those that get offers from several top schools). Some schools like Texas, Texas A&M, etc stay away from these recruits while others don't. I think the NCAA frowns on using them but I don't think it is illegal. Can anyone help?

Phil C
01-28-2010, 10:33 AM
I once saw a program on 60 Minutes about a man that got videos and other information on recruits and charged the parents about $5,000 for his services but these were basically unknown recruits that scouts were not looking at and he would get them scholarships to small colleges especially those up north. He didn't have any big time recruits and the parents were happy because their boys would get a $40,000 scholarship to pay for their kid's education and it was not a bad exchange for paying $5,000 for a $40,000 room and board and tuition scholarship for 4 years. He only got paid when he got the kid a scholarship except for maybe a $100 for start up expenses. The colleges were happy because they got some good players they might not have known about and of course the parents were happy because of the scholarship as was the boy because he got to get a four year education and play football in college for 4 years. A win win situation for everyone.

cookiemonster
01-28-2010, 10:39 AM
I guarantee in Football if they can play, their name is out there. Those programs are a waste of your money in my opinion if your son plays football. Every staff has a coach that is in charge of recruiting and they get the kids names out. If you think your son is good enough to play, take him to camps and they will see them in person.

Matthew328
01-28-2010, 11:25 AM
If your kid can play big time I-A football he'll get discovered no doubt. But the kids who really need the help are the ones who are typically at smaller schools and are good enough to play I-AA or D2 football. I can't tell you how many e-mails, phone calls I get from those kinds of schools looking for kids. I just hooked up a local 3A player with a D2 coach and what do you know the kid is visiting that school this weekend.

The smaller schools don't have the budgets for recruiting so they get creative with finding kids and I guess guys like me are good go betweens for info.

PhiI C
01-30-2010, 09:24 PM
"Man I must have asked a real toughie" gloated the Sinton GodFather while on his way to the kitchen to get a last cup of coffee for the day.