PDA

View Full Version : Rick Owens New Cuero AD

WILDGOBBLERCAT
01-27-2010, 10:12 PM
Rick Owens was named Head Coach/AD tonight by the school board.

Congratulations Rick. Now, get to work!! :)

Green Bling
01-27-2010, 10:15 PM
Rick Owens was named the new Cuero AD by unanimous vote this evening. So glad he has the support of the complete board.

bobcat4life
01-27-2010, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Green Bling
Rick Owens was named the new Cuero AD by unanimous vote this evening. So glad he has the support of the complete board. wasnt he an assistant before?

bigwood33
01-27-2010, 10:17 PM
Congrats to Coach Owens and good luck to the Gobblers!

The Kracken
01-27-2010, 10:18 PM
yes he was

Green Bling
01-27-2010, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by bobcat4life
wasnt he an assistant before?
Yes, he was our line coach. The guys really work hard for him, respect him, and were hoping he would get the nod.

The Kracken
01-27-2010, 10:21 PM
I can't help but think that the most important thing for Owens was the unanimous vote, shows that he had the full support of the school board. The grandkids seemed to be excited about the announcement.

BIG MO
01-27-2010, 10:22 PM
good coach and will be good for all sports

Green Bling
01-27-2010, 10:23 PM
Per Mike Forman on Advocate site:
CUERO -- Cuero assistant coach Rick Owens has been named athletic director and head football coach.

Owens' promotion was approved by a unanimous vote of the Cuero school district board of trustees at their regular monthly meeting on Wednesday night. He received a two-year contract.

Owens coached the offensive line under Mark Reeve, who resigned earlier this month to become the assistant head coach at defensive coordinator at Texas Lutheran University.

Owens has been at Cuero for five seasons. He previously coached at Rockport-Fulton, Aransas Pass and Taft.

TRUBLU
01-27-2010, 10:47 PM
RF AP TAFT allstellar programs GO getem

hookandladder
01-28-2010, 07:12 AM
Congrats, hope it works out for him. If he does not win right away I have a feeling this could be Bellville all over again. Lot of pressure following Coach Reeve's success, Best of Luck.

fumanchu
01-28-2010, 07:58 AM
Coach Owens will do a great job and the position is well deserved! Congradutlations Coach Owens!

Gobbler Fan
01-28-2010, 08:38 AM
Funny how all the doom and gloom is predicted from people outside of Cuero . Like I said in the Bellville post ...the rest of Region 4 can only hope this is the case which I just don't see happening . Coach Owens will keep the machine rolling in Cuero ... bank on it .

Congradulations Coach Owens !

:clap:

DuPree
01-28-2010, 08:46 AM
Congrats coach Owens!! Good luck to Cuero with the new man!! I just have two questions tho??? I thought Mike Clarke was the O line coach?? What will Travis Reeve do now??

hookandladder
01-28-2010, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
Funny how all the doom and gloom is predicted from people outside of Cuero . Like I said in the Bellville post ...the rest of Region 4 can only hope this is the case which I just don't see happening . Coach Owens will keep the machine rolling in Cuero ... bank on it .

Congradulations Coach Owens !

:clap:

Definitely feel the same way that Cuero will still be the team to beat in Region 4, the question is will Coach Owens be the guy to get them over that hump as far as winning a State Championship. With schools like Cueros sometimes success is measured in winning State. Good Luck To Coach Owens from hearing from most Cuero fans he seems to be the right man for the job and continue the success in all programs.

playnhurt
01-28-2010, 10:16 AM
Congrats Rick!

You deserve it!

gobblerfan34
01-28-2010, 10:50 AM
Congratulations Coach Owens, great coach and also a great man.
Cuero is very lucky to have him as our coach and AD, i know the athletes are excited and ready to continue the great Gobbler tradition. Thank you school board for your decision it was a great one in my opinion.

GO MEAN GREEN

12thMan
01-28-2010, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by hookandladder
Definitely feel the same way that Cuero will still be the team to beat in Region 4, the question is will Coach Owens be the guy to get them over that hump as far as winning a State Championship. With schools like Cueros sometimes success is measured in winning State. Good Luck To Coach Owens from hearing from most Cuero fans he seems to be the right man for the job and continue the success in all programs.

It's not just about winning state, if that were the case, Mark would have been ran out of Cuero last year. Here in Cuero, we don't measure success by the winning a state title or not. We measure success by what our kids learn and what they take with them when they leave high school. We measure success by watching these young men and women compete and do things a lot of people say they can't do. The coaches here have instilled in them what it really takes to win, play as a team, and how to overcome tough situations in their lives. People here wanted Mark Reeve to stay as long as he could, but that didn't happen. Coach Owens will do a great job, no doubt. It was coaches like him that made the Reeve's era so successful.

hookandladder
01-28-2010, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by 12thMan
It's not just about winning state, if that were the case, Mark would have been ran out of Cuero last year. Here in Cuero, we don't measure success by the winning a state title or not. We measure success by what our kids learn and what they take with them when they leave high school. We measure success by watching these young men and women compete and do things a lot of people say they can't do. The coaches here have instilled in them what it really takes to win, play as a team, and how to overcome tough situations in their lives. People here wanted Mark Reeve to stay as long as he could, but that didn't happen. Coach Owens will do a great job, no doubt. It was coaches like him that made the Reeve's era so successful.

I agree with you however there are some fans in all community's that do not feel the same way, that is all part of coaching.

centexgobbler
01-28-2010, 11:11 AM
Congratulations to Coach Owens and to the kids in Cuero. He is a great Christian man and a very good coach. Glad that the board did not listen to those that constantly believe that the grass is always greener somewhere else. Rick will do a great job.

forum_guy
01-28-2010, 01:10 PM

I dont know about you but IMO success kinda should be measured by state titles. Don't you think? No one gets super excited about winning district titles and the district winning streak because that happens year after year as of lately at Cuero. 2nd place is the 1st loser and so on and so on.

12thMan
01-28-2010, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by forum_guy
I dont know about you but IMO success kinda should be measured by state titles. Don't you think? No one gets super excited about winning district titles and the district winning streak because that happens year after year as of lately at Cuero. 2nd place is the 1st loser and so on and so on.

Wow. Your saying the only successful programs are the ones with a state title? Your kidding me! Yea, were real hungry for a title, but I would think there's about 90% of the state that wishes they had a program that's as successful as Cuero. Not only in football, but in all sports.

Rocket Dad
01-28-2010, 01:58 PM
About the unanimous vote of the school board - all major hires should receive 7-0 votes by the school board. If not, the system is not as solid as it should be. The Supt. is the final say on personnel, the board ( by design ) should vote on the Supt.'s hire. Other school matters will sometimes receive less than a unanimous vote, Principals, AD's, etc. should always be unanimous or the Supt. needs to find a new school.

44INAROW
01-28-2010, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by forum_guy

wow - it's times like this I wish I wasn't a moderator - I have plenty to say but I won't. You're not looking at the big picture here.. your damn right, I'd love to see more State trophies in the case but I'd rather be consistently successful than a one and done win any day of the week.

Originally posted by Rocket Dad
About the unanimous vote of the school board - all major hires should receive 7-0 votes by the school board. If not, the system is not as solid as it should be. The Supt. is the final say on personnel, the board ( by design ) should vote on the Supt.'s hire. Other school matters will sometimes receive less than a unanimous vote, Principals, AD's, etc. should always be unanimous or the Supt. needs to find a new school.

I am confused - isn't that what happened last night?

hookandladder
01-28-2010, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
wow - it's times like this I wish I wasn't a moderator - I have plenty to say to you but I won't. You're not looking at the big picture here.. your damn right, I'd love to see more State trophies in the case but I'd rather be consistently successful than a one and done win any day of the week.

I am confused - isn't that what happened last night?

I think he is saying when the Super. recommends an AD/HC coach to the board that all board members should fully support his recommendation. If not then he may have some board members that are not trusting his decision of whom to hire.

forum_guy
01-28-2010, 02:53 PM
Wow. Your saying the only successful programs are the ones with a state title? Your kidding me! Yea, were real hungry for a title, but I would think there's about 90% of the state that wishes they had a program that's as successful as Cuero. Not only in football, but in all sports.

I completely agree. Cuero is a legit top 5 program in 3a. Many schools envy Cuero. There are many successful programs in the state that don't have a recent state title. The point I am trying to make is that you can't say AS A PLAYER you are COMPLETELY successful if you don't win state.

headhunter
01-28-2010, 03:09 PM
Ahhh, now we get to define what is a successful coach/program.

My personal opinion - A successful coach needs to get more out of his athletes than is expected. Not just on the playing field, but in the classroom, as leaders, as role models for the younger kids. A coach has to get the kids to believe in his system so they will put forth all their effort.

Is it important for a coach to teach them more than football? You dang right it is. However, you have to be successful at being a coach. Every person who is hired at Cuero High School is expected to teach these kids more than athletics. But to do that you have to be successful on the playing field.

Every school is different, some schools expectations are making the playoffs, some are winnings district and winning a playoff game or two. In Cuero, the expectation is to win 80% of your regular season games. Win a district title, Win Region IV and compete for a state chamionship year in year out. It has been this way since 1970.

To go along with winning on the field, a coach must make his athletes become model students and well mannered young men/women. Being an athlete is a privaledge.

A GREAT coach must surpass expectations, a GOOD coach will just meet expectations.

Like I said before, Coach Owens is a very likable guy and is a man who the players like and trust. He will have to make sure those kids do not get content or comfortable. He has to instill in these kids the determination to become better then they already are. Sometimes when you start winning, you forget how hard it was to get their. You can not let up. Remember the day you are satisfied with your preformance, is the day you are getting worse.

headhunter
01-28-2010, 03:16 PM
My one question going forth now that Coach Ownes is at the helm is, What type of coaching staff will he assemble.

Will he stick with Reeve's offensive playbook?

Will he change up the defense to a more aggresive, get up-field type of defense?

Coach Reeve ran a good show. No body except Mark Reeve IMO can run his offense better. That is why I wonder how much change we will see. It should be interesting in the next months to see what the coaching staff looks like. I am pulling for Coach Owens to be the guy who surpasses expectations. The community is behind you, the players believe in you, now just go play the game and win.

forum_guy
01-28-2010, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by headhunter
My one question going forth now that Coach Ownes is at the helm is, What type of coaching staff will he assemble.

Will he stick with Reeve's offensive playbook?

Will he change up the defense to a more aggresive, get up-field type of defense?

Coach Reeve ran a good show. No body except Mark Reeve IMO can run his offense better. That is why I wonder how much change we will see. It should be interesting in the next months to see what the coaching staff looks like. I am pulling for Coach Owens to be the guy who surpasses expectations. The community is behind you, the players believe in you, now just go play the game and win.

+1

maroogreen
01-28-2010, 05:03 PM
Congratulations to Coach Owens. He is a good man in education and a good man in general. Best of luck to him and the Gobblers.