PDA

View Full Version : switch football/baseball

XMan
01-27-2010, 01:38 PM
What do yall think of the idea of switching the football and baseball seasons around in high school? Let baseball start first of aug by having some training days and then concluding its season mid Oct. when world series is going on. Have football start immediately after New Years Holiday and finish in May. Basketeballers can join in when their season is finished like they currently do in baseball. Track might be a problem. Can probably have track workout and then have football afterward like baseball does now also. I see a few positives to this. 1. Eliminate problem of heat for Aug football 2 a days. 2. Allow teams an extra 5 months in the fall for offseason to let players mature and learn system. 3. Allow college coaches to see games in both sports. 4. Allow for less scheduling conflict of officials for baseball/softball. Many officials call both and reduces pool of officials. 5. Lets football players that go to college to end their season in shape and jump into college season after only 3 months. Allows baseballers that will go to college to play in high school in the fall and then play at a college the following spring if they graduate early. Any other positives/negatives?

Txbroadcaster
01-27-2010, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by XMan
What do yall think of the idea of switching the football and baseball seasons around in high school? Let baseball start first of aug by having some training days and then concluding its season mid Oct. when world series is going on. Have football start immediately after New Years Holiday and finish in May. Basketeballers can join in when their season is finished like they currently do in baseball. Track might be a problem. Can probably have track workout and then have football afterward like baseball does now also. I see a few positives to this. 1. Eliminate problem of heat for Aug football 2 a days. 2. Allow teams an extra 5 months in the fall for offseason to let players mature and learn system. 3. Allow college coaches to see games in both sports. 4. Allow for less scheduling conflict of officials for baseball/softball. Many officials call both and reduces pool of officials. 5. Lets football players that go to college to end their season in shape and jump into college season after only 3 months. Allows baseballers that will go to college to play in high school in the fall and then play at a college the following spring if they graduate early. Any other positives/negatives?

Colleges would hate it...you would have freshman coming into their program with just 2 months off before beginning again with their two a days and their season.

GreenMonster
01-27-2010, 01:53 PM
sounds like a solid argument to me.

LE Dad
01-27-2010, 01:57 PM
One thought...

Without football in the fall there would be no baseball in the spring.:(

Without baseball in the spring football would
still be king. :D

pancho villa
01-27-2010, 02:02 PM
Are you high?

coach
01-27-2010, 02:24 PM

i vote this thread to be closed just because it was such a stupid idea

Ex-Tiger2005
01-27-2010, 03:57 PM

It is weird you say this because I was thinking the same thing today on my way to work! In my opinion, save the best for the last! I love baseball dont get me wrong but I would really enjoy football at the end!

Bone Pile
01-27-2010, 04:07 PM

I just knew if you drank too much too early your brain would not be able to function properly.

waterboy
01-27-2010, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by pancho villa
Are you high?
LOL........Are you?:smoker: :D

XMan
01-27-2010, 06:02 PM
2 more positives that I just thought of. 1. Would allow playoff games in both sports to be played on college fields due to there being no scheduling conflicts. 2. Would keep athletic directors/head football coaches around for the whole school year with football at the end. As it is now, coach leaves for better job or gets fired at christmas and throws everything into turmoil. I havent heard many negatives just the same ole "thats not how its always been garbage."

LE Dad
01-27-2010, 06:57 PM
2 more positives that I just thought of. 1. Would allow playoff games in both sports to be played on college fields due to there being no scheduling conflicts. 2. Would keep athletic directors/head football coaches around for the whole school year with football at the end. As it is now, coach leaves for better job or gets fired at christmas and throws everything into turmoil. I havent heard many negatives just the same ole "thats not how its always been garbage." Negatives:
1. 2 a days would begin during major Holidays
2. Cold weather... Instead of 2-3,000 people showingg up paying $6 a ticket, you might get 1500. I will let you do the math on how that might affect an athletic budget.
3. Right in the middle of basketball. Basketball at LE is a revenue producing sport. Baseball not so much.
4. Baseball is a money loser. Even in the 06-07 SC and Finals years. Why alter athletic schedule that would cause overall loss in revenue potentially by thousands of $$ ??

There ya go.:thinking:

LH Panther Mom
01-27-2010, 07:38 PM
2. Would keep athletic directors/head football coaches around for the whole school year with football at the end. As it is now, coach leaves for better job or gets fired at christmas and throws everything into turmoil.
So.....what if he leaves/gets fired after football in May/June? Now you've got 2 months or less to get a replacement!

I don't like the idea and I think there's a lot that hasn't been considered.

a) Are you talking Texas football or the nation? Who volunteers to get the other 49 states on board?
b) Now who volunteers to get the NCAA on board? Dead periods have to be moved, national signing day probably gets moved, not to mention that college coaches would probably want to know going into spring practice where they might need to fill spots. This would force college coaches to decide based on junior year and prior games. Of the thousands of college players, I'm thinking the percentage of kids who get a verbal offer after a junior season isn't that high.
c) What do you do with 2-a-days? Have baseball instead? Aren't most of the college baseball prospects playing summer ball anyway?
d) 7-7 is sort of used (I think) to get the kids ready for football. Now it serves NO purpose.
e) What's the difference in heat for football 2-a-days and heat for baseball 2-a-days?
f) Why would you play softball and baseball at different times of the year?
g) I don't want to have to work in the concession stand in January. :p

NateDawg39
01-27-2010, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by coach
i vote this thread to be closed just because it was such a stupid idea From what I read everything you disagree with is stupid :thinking:

HEMOTOXIC
01-27-2010, 07:53 PM
I do understand people loving baseball, I do too. But, I have to agree with LE Dad. From what I've seen, comparing baseball to basketball, basketball, at least in these parts, has always produced more revenue than baseball. So, I really don't understand the logic of "basketeballers can join in when their season is finished like they currently do in baseball." Starting after baseball in mid October would only give the basketball season the rest of October, November and December. Not excluding the days that schools are out and the days that the UIL doesn't allow any sporting activities due to the holidays. If it ain't broke then don't fix it. IMO, there is not a good logical reason to switch the two. However, there are more pressing issues, i.e. travel and fixing the disperity between large schools and small schools in each classification (especially 3A).

XMan
01-27-2010, 10:07 PM
Why would basketball have to be changed??? You can start basketball Oct. 1 if you want. Guys that play baseball/basketball can finish their baseball season and then join hoops. Its done this way in the spring with basketball/baseball presently. You would not need 2 a days if you have been having offseason football since school started. Football would begin practice just as you came back from the christmas break. Play first games early Feb. Football is made to be played in cool weather and rain doesnt effect it as much as baseball. Play baseball when its hot and dry. How many heat related deaths have ever been associated with baseball? If anything, baseball would get more attendance when its warmer than it does now in Feb/Mar. People will come to football activities no matter what the weather is like. 7 on 7 would still be for summer time and not effected at all either. I agree that this will never change but it would be a possible thing to do. Volleyball was once a spring sport. This actual proposal was even brought before the UIL this past year and it was tabled I believe. I just like to get you guys going and enjoying the responses of hard headed, non open minded people. I especially like to hear people flip out when they would have to let the basketball players finish their season before they could start football. Sometimes when things get flipped on people their reactions turn out quite different.

coach
01-27-2010, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
From what I read everything you disagree with is stupid :thinking:

well have you read what ppl put on this board...i actually agree with a lot of stuff but i dont want to just say yea i agree...to me thats a waste of time...id rather debate

NateDawg39
01-27-2010, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by coach
well have you read what ppl put on this board...i actually agree with a lot of stuff but i dont want to just say yea i agree...to me thats a waste of time...id rather debate lol and say its stupid also huh ;)

XMan
01-27-2010, 10:27 PM
This just hit me about recruiting. Just imagine, Texas was the only state in the union suiting up in Jan to start football. How many college coaches/recruiters would flock to see the top prospects. The answer is ALL of THEM. You would have every big time and little time coach visiting Texas. It would be a showcase of TEXAS talent. The kids could still sign on the early Feb date. They could relax and play their last year without worrying about their scholarship. If they would get hurt, they would still get their money. A vast majority of college fresh. footballers redshirt so playing till May or June wouldnt hurt most of them. Baseball already has their signing date in Oct., well before the players senior year, so there is a precedent. And to Hemotoxic, you start hoops (its big in Nasty soda we know) and run it till early Feb much like now. If you are basketball/football, you finish your hoops season and then throw on the football pads the next day. Thats how basketball/baseballers do it now. Finish round ball then go to baseball next day, smooth transition. This is sounding better and better.

XMan
01-27-2010, 10:38 PM
More inspiration, about the HC/AD leaving thing. At the 3a level the HC is almost always the AD. ( The director of ALL sports) So, its the middle of Nov, you have finished vball, cross country, and football. Well, the AD up and leaves or gets fired. Now you lose the guy thats in charge of the ATHLETIC PROGRAM and you still have hoops, soccer (perhaps), baseball, softball, and track to play during the year. The boss heads out and throws turmoil into all of these other activities. You are trying to hire a new guy, and then transition while all this is going on. Ask someone presently looking for a new AD, see if im wrong. Well, have football last. Let the AD look over all the sports and then if he wants to leave after the last football game, so be it. School can look for 2 to 3 months during the summer to find a new one. He comes in when school starts with his own staff and makes transition much less stressful.
He will have from Aug till Jan to install his new system and ready to go when practice starts after Christmas.

diehard
01-28-2010, 09:05 AM
Interesting?

Rule #76
01-28-2010, 10:05 AM
You said you baseball would be over by Oct. Baseballs lasts from Feb to May with State being in June. You would have a lot kids not play basketball b/c they don't want to miss any football games. Missing a couple weeks of basketball is different than missing a couple weeks of football and there is no way you can keep the seasons from overlapping.

onsideanytime
01-28-2010, 11:33 AM
i agree this thread should be closed, but i will put my idea out there, how about we have football in the fall like we do know and then go to offseason until feb 1 and then start a spring 7 0n 7 football season, you still have your same district games but you get different pre district games, sounds like a great plan to me, the only thing is you would have to get rid of all other sports, still sounds like a good idea to me

Heffelfinger
01-28-2010, 11:49 AM
This is an awesome thread. XMan thinks outside of the box. Close this thread? Why? Does it scare you?

NateDawg39
01-28-2010, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by onsideanytime
i agree this thread should be closed, but i will put my idea out there, how about we have football in the fall like we do know and then go to offseason until feb 1 and then start a spring 7 0n 7 football season, you still have your same district games but you get different pre district games, sounds like a great plan to me, the only thing is you would have to get rid of all other sports, still sounds like a good idea to me Change is scary I know...but let us embrace this change and look for ways to make ourselves more comfortable :catredx:

onsideanytime
01-28-2010, 12:01 PM
no doesnt scare me , this crazy,stupid,insane,retarded,dumb idea will never happen, FOOTBALL IS KING AND ALWAYS WILL BE! yall go standaround and play with your sticks and balls

LE Dad
01-28-2010, 12:57 PM
$$$$ run the world... And the Athletic budget depends on the money football produces and a successful basketball program can produce money too. Baseball is a money loser, I have not seen 1 post on here stating otherwise. You will never change anything until you can get interest in the sport.
Baseball will always ride footballs coattails and in some schools even basketball and track can surpass it. You want to change seasons you better come up with better reasons than all this pie in the sky dreamcrap I have read so far and the bottom line better show an increase in $$.

NateDawg39
01-28-2010, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by onsideanytime
no doesnt scare me , this crazy,stupid,insane,retarded,dumb idea will never happen, FOOTBALL IS KING AND ALWAYS WILL BE! yall go standaround and play with your sticks and balls I think we should have a second football season starting in Feb. Only play 5 district games and the winner of that district goes on to play in the round robin playoffs

Rabid Cougar
01-28-2010, 01:07 PM
FOOTBALL = FALL
BASEBALL = SPRING

The other idea is akin to the Germans bombing Pearl Harbor, SO unAMERICAN.

Its like saying "lets switch Christmas with the 4th of July"

LE Dad
01-28-2010, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Heffelfinger
XMan thinks outside of the box. Coke thought outside of the box when they came up with a new formula.

Vince Mc Mahon thought outside the box with the XFL.

The US Goverment thougt outside the box by making home loans to unqualified individuals.

Mike Leach thought ouside the box by bucking Texas Tech.

How is that going for them??

Football in the box is cool with me. If you want to put baseball up against it that is fine too. Let the kids choose a sport.
Hows that for outside the box??

Rabid Cougar
01-28-2010, 01:15 PM
Lets see look at the importance in regards to the number of fans. High school football field stadiums ----- High school baseball field portableachers

LE Dad
01-28-2010, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
Lets see look at the importance in regards to the number of fans. High school football field stadiums ----- High school baseball field portableachers
. Point proven.... If it ain't broke don't fix it.:clap: :clap:

Heffelfinger
01-28-2010, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
Coke thought outside of the box when they came up with a new formula.

Vince Mc Mahon thought outside the box with the XFL.

The US Goverment thougt outside the box by making home loans to unqualified individuals.

Mike Leach thought ouside the box by bucking Texas Tech.

How is that going for them??

Football in the box is cool with me. If you want to put baseball up against it that is fine too. Let the kids choose a sport.
Hows that for outside the box??

I didn't say "let's do what XMan says;" just talking about it though causes us to think about things from a different perspective and usually reinforces what we already know, but it could present an idea that could improve things.

bobcat4life
01-28-2010, 01:36 PM
this seems rediculous......

NateDawg39
01-28-2010, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
FOOTBALL = FALL
BASEBALL = SPRING

The other idea is akin to the Germans bombing Pearl Harbor, SO unAMERICAN.

Its like saying "lets switch Christmas with the 4th of July" :confused: Germans did it?

bobcat4life
01-28-2010, 01:46 PM
:confused: Germans did it? yea Its common knowledge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8lT1o0sDwI

LE Dad
01-28-2010, 02:08 PM
it could present an idea that could improve things. In what manner could it be improved?
I do not see it increasing revenue for either sport and in 3A, with tight budgets already, it could drive excellent coaches away to be assistants in higher classifications.

It does nothing to benefit the kids. Recruiters already flock to Texas. If football is played in spring, while colleges are preparing for spring practice, it might actually hurt recruiting.

I see no benefit and alot of possible problems.

XMan
01-28-2010, 02:09 PM
I dont know how this has anything to do with one sport being more important than the other. The major reason to switch is to dodge the heat related illness issues. Kids dying is a major concern to some people. I guess it doesnt matter to you. Some of you may want to check to see how much football at some schools actually makes. (or loses) Should we eliminate every school function or program that loses money???? I thought it was about a well rounded education and opportunities for student/athletes? Im wondering how much track and 7 on 7 generate? 7 on 7 isnt even a sanctioned sport and neither is powerlifting. They dont make money so lets get rid of them, too. While we are eliminating, sub varsity football is a real money waster. Get rid of the sub varsity teams and see how many coaching salaries we could do away with. Taxes may be coming down soon!!!!

themsu97
01-28-2010, 02:18 PM
Xman makes a valid point...

since it is hotter in August why not do the sport that requires more work from kids... standaround...

less injuries unless there is a fight over who was supposed to bring the grapes and the orange slices or someone stole another persons juice box...

would cut down on heat exhaustion

Heffelfinger
01-28-2010, 02:22 PM
Woah! Let's not do away with football. Now this thread really is getting ridiculous. Let's be smarter about preventing heat related deaths. And doing away with 2-a-days is not the answer, either. How about requiring athletes to participate in conditioning during the summer if they plan on playing football. Right now this is not mandatory but voluntary.

LE Dad
01-28-2010, 02:42 PM
Woah! Let's not do away with football. Now this thread really is getting ridiculous. Let's be smarter about preventing heat related deaths. And doing away with 2-a-days is not the answer, either. How about requiring athletes to participate in conditioning during the summer if they plan on playing football. Right now this is not mandatory but voluntary. Now you're on the right track. It is not that it is 100 at 2 o' clock. These kids are falling out in 85 degree weather because they are ill prepared. Back before playstation we spent most of our summer outside playing physical games and sports in 90 -100 degree heat. We werer used to the heat when it came time to pick up equipment. Today kids are indoors all summer and just do not prepare at all for the heat.

bobcat4life
01-28-2010, 02:50 PM
Now you're on the right track. It is not that it is 100 at 2 o' clock. These kids are falling out in 85 degree weather because they are ill prepared. Back before playstation we spent most of our summer outside playing physical games and sports in 90 -100 degree heat. We werer used to the heat when it came time to pick up equipment. Today kids are indoors all summer and just do not prepare at all for the heat. celina has a conditioning camp. Its not required, but around 80% (just a guess, maybe more than that) of the kids participate, and it helps once football starts

Heffelfinger
01-28-2010, 02:57 PM
Give the respective coaches a bigger role in preparing our kids for what's coming. More good will be done than the feared "overtraining" or "unfair advantage" that limits a coaches contact with their athletes in the offseason. If the UIL sanctions 7-on-7 this could take care of a lot of conditioning issues.

LE Dad
01-28-2010, 03:07 PM
Give the respective coaches a bigger role in preparing our kids for what's coming. More good will be done than the feared "overtraining" or "unfair advantage" that limits a coaches contact with their athletes in the offseason. If the UIL sanctions 7-on-7 this could take care of a lot of conditioning issues. I agree totally, but speaking as a parent... Take a little responsibility and make sure your kid is getting a little conditioning in during summer. You don't have to hover over him doing drills. Make it fun. LEson and myself play basketball at least 2 times a week.

NateDawg39
01-28-2010, 03:10 PM
My grandpa would make me run through his farm land and he would follow in his jeep or his truck...I hated it :mad:

LE Dad
01-28-2010, 03:15 PM
My grandpa would make me run through his farm land and he would follow in his jeep or his truck...I hated it :mad: We had a Jr. High coach that used to give us a head start on a mile run. He would then drive his old Chevy PU to the church at the end of the mile. If you were at the church you rode back, if not you ran. I never rode:mad:

LE Dad
01-28-2010, 03:25 PM
LOL, start talking about something that actually makes sense and POOF! Dead thread:(

bobcat4life
01-28-2010, 03:49 PM
I'll revive this thread.

Brad McCoy

Txbroadcaster
01-28-2010, 04:06 PM
Now you're on the right track. It is not that it is 100 at 2 o' clock. These kids are falling out in 85 degree weather because they are ill prepared. Back before playstation we spent most of our summer outside playing physical games and sports in 90 -100 degree heat. We werer used to the heat when it came time to pick up equipment. Today kids are indoors all summer and just do not prepare at all for the heat.

Not all of it is because of video games..Parents today are so afraid of things they dont let kids be kids anymore.

My daughter lives in East Texas and last summer her and some friends were playing basketball...one twisted her ankle no big deal

The next day the parents at the house they played at told them no more because they were afraid of being liable for an injury.

Kids are not inherently lazy, or inside only...they are conditioned..We were all conditioned to go outside and I was part of the ninetndo generation, but we played it at night, not during the day.

So until the majority of parents will quit being worried about their kids getting kidnapped, or being hurt, or being sued they will continue to err on the side of caution.

XMan
01-28-2010, 04:43 PM
Just for the record, I never, ever suggest we get rid of football!!!!!!! Just throwing some ideas around. Football is great, got to have some friday night lights. Next lets talk expenses since football is the big money maker. That big, new stadium your district just built: _____million. The salary for the AD/HFC that coaches 1 sport and no classes ______thousand. Stipends/salaries of the other 10 football coaches _______thousand. Equipment for 100 high school and another 100 jr high kids at at least 200/a pop not counting game stuff ______thousand. Maintenance for field (paint/water/groundskeeper salaries/electricity/new scoreboard, new field turf) ________thousand. Travel to and from games in those charter buses ______thousand. Meals after every game ______thousand. This was just a quick list, im sure I can find some more. As you see it really adds up. Also, this doesnt count what it cost the band, drill team, cheerleaders and others that have to travel to and from games.

LH Panther Mom
01-28-2010, 08:08 PM
Football is made to be played in cool weather
Says who? How many football games do you see played anywhere after Christmas, not counting NFL playoffs? I know - Arena ball! :rolleyes:

If anything, baseball would get more attendance when its warmer than it does now in Feb/Mar.
Uhm, yeah right.

The salary for the AD/HFC that coaches 1 sport and no classes ______thousand.
You would still need an AD or sports would run amock!

Stipends/salaries of the other 10 football coaches _______thousand.
Ours teach classes and are assigned to at least one other sport, and some of them have more than one. I guess if we have to get rid of the football coach, there goes the baseball coaches, some basketball coaches, track coaches, power lifting coaches (oh yeah, that doesn't count because it's not sponsored by UIL :rolleyes: ), tennis coaches, golf coach and a softball coach. Did I mention the baseball coaches?!?!?

Travel to and from games in those charter buses ______thousand.
Charter buses :spitlol: :spitlol: :spitlol:

Meals after every game ______thousand.
Sandwiches? :thinking:

These are just quick responses. I'm sure I can find some more. :p :devil:

XMan
01-29-2010, 10:55 PM
I just dont know how Pollock Central and Lufkin Hudson can do it, but they do.

LH Panther Mom
01-30-2010, 03:48 AM
I just dont know how Pollock Central and Lufkin Hudson can do it, but they do.
What, NOT have football at all? I thought this thread was about moving baseball to the fall? :confused: Or do they play baseball by themselves in the fall? I'm lost! :p