PDA

View Full Version : American Idol

eagles_victory
01-26-2010, 10:55 AM
Besides Pants on the Ground what has been your favorite performance so far and what do you think of the whole guest judge thing?

Ranger Mom
01-26-2010, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Besides Pants on the Ground what has been your favorite performance so far and what do you think of the whole guest judge thing?

I haven't been overly impressed with anyone so far.

I think the guest judges, for the most part, are nothing but fluff!!!

I am in the minority...I don't much care for the auditions, I am more interested when it gets to the top 12.

BwdLions
01-26-2010, 11:19 AM
It has to be the freak that sang "Tip-Toe Through the Tullips." That was freaky.

eagles_victory
01-26-2010, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I haven't been overly impressed with anyone so far.

I think the guest judges, for the most part, are nothing but fluff!!!

I am in the minority...I don't much care for the auditions, I am more interested when it gets to the top 12. I enjoy the auditions but I think it shouldn't be so drawn out and last so long. My least favorite part by far is narrowing all the people in Hollywood down to the top 12.

BullsFan
01-26-2010, 11:28 AM
I used to live for the auditions, but now it seems like they're more about the spectacularly bad than the real hopefuls. And I get actively embarrassed for people who makes fools of themselves like that, so I can barely watch sometimes.

Hollywood week is when it really starts for me!

forum_guy
01-26-2010, 12:24 PM
Am I the only one that thinks the people that are completely terrible are getting paid to go do that. There is no way they can think they are that good. It's almost as if american idol pays those people to go on there to add to the show.

BullsFan
01-26-2010, 02:14 PM
Certainly some of them are there for other reasons. I remember a few seasons back there was a girl from a radio show who lied her way in and then made a big ole fool of herself, then crowed about how she'd put one over on them. But for everyone like that, there are ten who genuinely believe they have what it takes. They are too distressed when it's over for it not to be genuine. They've got their families there waiting on what they're sure will be their ticket to Hollywood. Some have been convinced by well-meaning mommies and daddies that they're the next Kelly Clarkson or Chris Daughtry. Some are just plain delusional. But most of them have to be either completely honest or wasted in a regular job when they're capable of an Oscar-worthy performance like that.

yoe64
01-26-2010, 03:07 PM
and how is this sports related?

tisk tisk...

Ranger Mom
01-26-2010, 03:38 PM
A lot of the auditions that they just string together...like a bunch of bad people singing the same song...aren't even done in front of the main judges and they have never seen them.

They have to get through "pre-judgement" first and some of the more terrible go on through, after signing a release....just to "add" to the show.

beartwin
01-26-2010, 04:29 PM
The guest judging seems a little pointless to me. It usually either comes down to Simon or Randy making the final decision anyways. None of the guests are harsh and they rarely have any important feedback to the contestant.
But... I still kinda like the guest judging, just because I like seeing people like Shania Twain who you haven't heard anything of in about 4 years.

eagles_victory
01-26-2010, 04:35 PM
I wish they would shorten up the auditioning a little bit it is hard to believe some of that stuff is not totally staged. When they get to Hollywood seems thing to become a little more real. How many more audition episodes are there?

beartwin
01-26-2010, 04:39 PM
I wish they would shorten up the auditioning a little bit it is hard to believe some of that stuff is not totally staged. When they get to Hollywood seems thing to become a little more real. How many more audition episodes are there?

This week is Chicago and Dallas. Next week is LA and Orlando. I'm pretty sure that's it.

BullsFan
01-27-2010, 09:19 AM
I read or saw an interview where Randy said Dallas was one of the best cities this season--lots of talent. I'm excited about tonight!

Phil C
01-27-2010, 12:24 PM
I bet Katy Perry doesn't ever get invited to the show as guest judge again. I thought she was pretty good myself though.

eagles_victory
01-27-2010, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I bet Katy Perry doesn't ever get invited to the show as guest judge again. I thought she was pretty good myself though. She looked good for sure.

BreckTxLonghorn
01-27-2010, 06:03 PM
She looked good for sure.

Two words

Ju-uggs.

eagleqb_14
01-27-2010, 08:59 PM
did yall see that guy get arrested last week. he was a white trash punk who thought he was good but he sounded like crap

Ranger Mom
01-27-2010, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I bet Katy Perry doesn't ever get invited to the show as guest judge again. I thought she was pretty good myself though.

I missed last nights episode. The first one I have missed since it started 9 years ago.

I was helping my son and daughter in law move. My sis in law taped it, but when I asked her if I missed anything good, she said no one stood out, so I didn't bother watching it.

beartwin
01-28-2010, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by eagleqb_14
did yall see that guy get arrested last week. he was a white trash punk who thought he was good but he sounded like crap He is probablynot white trash now after all the money they paid him.

PhiI C
01-28-2010, 08:35 AM
I have heard a lot of those things are set up but I have no proof of course.

Farmersfan
01-28-2010, 08:54 AM
I think they do a good job combining actual talent with the nonsense. And I agree the worst of the worst has to be staged. I know some people are morons but most of those people couldn't possibly think they can sing! It's humerous and embarrassing at the same time. Seems to be a winning combination!

Phil C
01-28-2010, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I think they do a good job combining actual talent with the nonsense. And I agree the worst of the worst has to be staged. I know some people are morons but most of those people couldn't possibly think they can sing! It's humerous and embarrassing at the same time. Seems to be a winning combination!

I know one that auditioned from Sinton and he had won state in singing and was a great singer. He didn't even get to go in front of the judges because the preliminary judge just told him that he wasn't what they were looking for. I have heard the same thing happened to a girl that was very talented and won state who was from central Texas. Every time I see one of those that have no talent I wonder what talented person was excluded from getting a chance to go to Hollywood due to that waste of time obviously for laughs and for Simon to be critical.

Farmersfan
01-28-2010, 11:09 AM
You know the judges don't sit through 30K auditions. The pre-screeners most likely are told to look for the two extremes. Very, very good people and very, very bad people.
I saw one guy that was pretty good who was married with a family and was a practicing preacher. Several of the judges questioned his ability to be an "American Idol" because of his duties to his church. Yet lawyers, doctors, military people or any number of other professions are never questioned. It's nothing but a big show designed to entertain #1 and find the AMERICAN IDOL #2.

BullsFan
01-28-2010, 11:57 AM
Remember that American Idol isn't just a singing contest. It's a contest to look for the next big pop/country/rock/whatever star. And as anyone knows, pure singing ability doesn't always translate into star potential. Listen to any radio station and you'll hear people with marginal talent who are huge because they have "it". And think about seasons past--sometimes people with less talent have that "it" that gets people to vote for them. Sometimes people with almost NO talent get people to vote for them. Remember Sanjaya? UGH.

Ranger Mom
01-28-2010, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by BullsFan
Remember that American Idol isn't just a singing contest. It's a contest to look for the next big pop/country/rock/whatever star. And as anyone knows, pure singing ability doesn't always translate into star potential. Listen to any radio station and you'll hear people with marginal talent who are huge because they have "it". And think about seasons past--sometimes people with less talent have that "it" that gets people to vote for them. Sometimes people with almost NO talent get people to vote for them. Remember Sanjaya? UGH.

Actually....I liked Sanjaya during the auditions...but the farther on he went in the show the more out there he was!!!

BullsFan
01-28-2010, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Actually....I liked Sanjaya during the auditions...but the farther on he went in the show the more out there he was!!!

That's the part I'm talking about--how some contestants manage to get people to vote for them while more talented people get sent home. The most egregious example of that for me was Latoya London and Jennifer Hudson getting sent home early while John Stevens went on and on and on...