PDA

View Full Version : Emmit Smith's Record Unbreakable?

sinfan75
01-25-2010, 10:25 PM
With alot of teams rotating backs nowadays, will his career mark be broke?

NateDawg39
01-25-2010, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by sinfan75
With alot of teams rotating backs nowadays, will his career mark be broke? Yes, one day, by a younger, more experienced running back.

sinfan75
01-25-2010, 10:32 PM
You lost me:D

Old Tiger
01-25-2010, 10:37 PM
I think Chris Johnson is one of the youngest backs who I believe can break it because as of his first two years he doesn't take a lot of hard hits and is a smart runner.

bobcat4life
01-25-2010, 11:23 PM
it will be broken eventually

NateDawg39
01-25-2010, 11:31 PM
When humans evolve into wingiding beings and can run at lightning speeds, im sure it will be broken every 2 years :D

bobcat4life
01-25-2010, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
When humans evolve into wingiding beings and can run at lightning speeds, im sure it will be broken every 2 years :D but there is only one Brad McCoy.....

PhiI C
01-25-2010, 11:44 PM
He also holds the record for most consecutive and number of 1000 or more yards per season at 11 from 1991 to 2001. He would have had 12 but in 2002 he missed it by just 25 yards at 975 yards. He had a shot in the last game at getting it and I wish our offensive line that year had made a better effort to help him get it in that last game that year.

PPSTATEBOUND
01-26-2010, 08:26 AM
Hopefully it will be broken by a runner that didnt run out of bounds 80% of the time. Chris Johnson is a fun watch and has more then enough skills to do what Emmitt did in his 30 years of playing in the nfl..

ziggy29
01-26-2010, 12:53 PM
If he didn't retire so early (and stayed reasonably healthy), Barry Sanders could have racked up more than 20,000 yards rushing. So yes, it's definitely breakable.

big daddy russ
01-26-2010, 01:05 PM
Breakable, yes. Is it likely? Not anytime soon.

AD's a better running back than Johnson (and possibly Emmitt), but he's too physical a runner. His body will break down before he gets there. Johnson has a chance, but not a very good one.

The thing that Emmitt and Barry did so well was avoid direct hits. Barry's elusiveness was obvious, but Emmitt's wasn't. Smith was more of a between-the-tackles runner, so he relied more on his shiftiness than out-and-out quickness. Still didn't absorb too many direct blows, and that kept him going longer than most NFL running backs.

When we see another RB like that, he'll be the next one to have a real chance.

Mcguirk
01-26-2010, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by PPSTATEBOUND
Hopefully it will be broken by a runner that didnt run out of bounds 80% of the time. Chris Johnson is a fun watch and has more then enough skills to do what Emmitt did in his 30 years of playing in the nfl..

If you're implying that Smith was afraid of getting hit, I suggest you go back and look at the NFC playoff game when he played with a separated shoulder.
I love a back who just lives to hit people. To me Earl Campbell will always be the greatest back. He loved contact and would run at people just for a chance to run over them. Look at the video of him catching a Los Angeles LB flatfooted. However he paid a terrible price for that (and playing for Bum Philips).
I can't blame someone for not wanting to take hits that would have crippling affects later in life.

ziggy29
01-26-2010, 01:20 PM
In reality a good back needs to be able to take (and deliver) some hits, but also know how to avoid them when they are not necessary.

Show me a back who hits someone just for the sake of making/taking a hit and I'll show you a guy who's probably going to lose effectiveness a few years younger than a guy who knows when taking a hit probably won't let him break into the open field or get the first down.

themsu97
01-26-2010, 01:31 PM
Dickerson and Harris led the league in running out of bounds

ziggy29
01-26-2010, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by themsu97
Dickerson and Harris led the league in running out of bounds
And few wide receivers running after the catch crumbled to the ground before taking a hit more than Jerry Rice. Would Rice have been even better, had even more inflated statistics or the longevity that he exhibited if he took all those hits? I suspect not. I am pretty sure, on the other hand, he'd have quite a few more fumbles.

There are times -- if you need to put your head down for that extra yard or two for the TD or the first down -- where taking hits really helps the team. But taking a hit just for the sake of not looking like a sissy really doesn't help the team much, and probably damages longevity.