PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Running Back of all-time?

coach
01-25-2010, 09:40 PM
Who is the greatest?

bigwood33
01-25-2010, 09:56 PM
Big Jim led the league in rushing 8 times and averaged over 100 yards a game for his career...he is in a class by himself.

sinfan75
01-25-2010, 10:04 PM
Jim Brown
Earl Campbell
Walter Payton
Emmit Smith
Barry Sanders

It'll be a while before somebody does what these guys accomplished.

lvbears32
01-25-2010, 10:10 PM
jim brown dominated his era more than anyone ever did, but barry sanders had agility speed and quickness on a field that we will never see again

TheDOCTORdre
01-25-2010, 10:12 PM
Brown is by most accounts the greatest, the reeal debate IMO is who is number 2 between Sanders and Payton, and IMO its Payton

bigwood33
01-25-2010, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
Brown is by most accounts the greatest, the reeal debate IMO is who is number 2 between Sanders and Payton, and IMO its Payton
Agreed.

ziggy29
01-25-2010, 10:20 PM
I would have loved to see the numbers Gale Sayers could have put up if he stayed healthy.

eagleqb_14
01-25-2010, 10:30 PM
who voted LT?

Old Tiger
01-25-2010, 10:32 PM
Jim Brown followed by Barry Sanders IMO and that gap isn't very close.

coach
01-25-2010, 10:37 PM
most tds, rushing yards, super bowl wins, and 100 yard games....mr. smith gets my vote

coach
01-25-2010, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by coach
most tds, rushing yards, super bowl wins, and 100 yard games....mr. smith gets my vote

if you substitute rushing yards for passing...and this was a qb we were talking about then there would be no debate who the greatest qb of all time would be...

BullsFan
01-25-2010, 11:02 PM
I voted for Emmitt, mostly based on my admitted partiality for all things Cowboys. But based on stats I'd take him too.

the genious
01-25-2010, 11:02 PM
if im not mistaken and i may be:thinking: earl cambell took a bad team put them on his back and made them good
correct me if im wrong please

sinfan75
01-25-2010, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by the genious
if im not mistaken and i may be:thinking: earl cambell took a bad team put them on his back and made them good
correct me if im wrong please You're right but ended a great career very early. Bum run him into the ablivion.

bobcat4life
01-25-2010, 11:14 PM
Earl Campbell...

STANG RED
01-25-2010, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by the genious
correct me if im wrong please

In Earls day, the Steelers and Cowboys were the best. If Earl had played for either of them, he would have set career and season records that would never be broken. If he had just been on a decent team, he may have done the same. Bum dang near killed him. And Earl was just too dumb to know better.
I'll see if I can find some of his highlights. He could do things no other running back before or since could do.

sinfan75
01-25-2010, 11:23 PM
most tds, rushing yards, super bowl wins, and 100 yard games....mr. smith gets my vote He was also one of the toughest runnin backs the NFL ever seen. Alot of people forget about all the pain he played through during his career. He's one of the guys who deserved the money he got in his career and I dare ANYONE say otherwhise.

STANG RED
01-25-2010, 11:49 PM
If you dont believe its Earl Campbell, just go take a look at this and you will.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxugRBWN8gw&feature=fvw

NateDawg39
01-26-2010, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
If you dont believe its Earl Campbell, just go take a look at this and you will.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxugRBWN8gw&feature=fvw :clap: :clap: :clap:

PhiI C
01-26-2010, 12:05 AM

I agree that Earl would have had great statistics if he had been on a decent team with a decent offense like the Cowboys or Steelers. The Oilers had a good defense but Earl was basically their only offense and other teams knew it and he was still great. The joke was that the Oilers ran three plays Earl to the Right, Earl to the left and Earl up the middle. With a better blocking team and more balance he would have been even better and probably had a longer pro career.

PhiI C
01-26-2010, 12:10 AM
I have to confess that I looked at the votes before voting and that I just had to vote for Tony Dorsett because of what he meant to the Cowboys. I just couldn't stand not seeing at least one vote there for him. He did help us win a super bowl and gave us some great years.
I did some research and he still as far as I can tell still holds the NFL record for the longest run from scrimmage at 99 yards against the Vikings. I remember that run in 1983 against the Vikings. What I don't remember is how the ball got there. I think what happened is that Minnesota had the ball inside the 5 yard line and the runner was hit at about the 3 yard line and fumbled and in a mad rush to recover the ball the Cowboys got it about 6 inches from the goal line. Of course it also could have been that the Vikings went for it on a fourth and one at the one yard line or so and got stopped.
Either way the run was actually 99 2/3 yards but of course it only counts as 99 yards. I couldn't find where anyone else has done it in the NFL but it can only be tied. Never broken.

Old Tiger
01-26-2010, 12:16 AM
Jim Brown and like seriously....here are his awards

9× Pro Bowl selection (1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965)
8× First-Team All-Pro selection (1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1963, 1964, 1965)
Second-Team All-Pro selection (1962)
NFL 75th Anniversary All-Time Team
NFL 1960s All-Decade Team
3× NFL MVP (1957, 1958, 1965)
3× UPI NFL MVP (1958, 1963, 1965)
3× Pro Bowl MVP (1961, 1962, 1965)
Lacrosse Hall of Fame

Rushing yards 12,312
Rushing average 5.2
Rushing TDs 106
Receptions 262
Receiving yards 2,499
Receiving TDs 20

Brown was taken in the first round of the 1956 draft by the Cleveland Browns[9]. He departed as the NFL record holder for both single-season (1,863 in 1963) and career rushing (12,312 yards), as well as the all-time leader in rushing touchdowns (106), total touchdowns (126), and all-purpose yards (15,549). He was the first player ever to reach the 100-rushing-touchdowns milestone, and only a few others have done so since, despite the league's expansion to a 16-game season in 1978 (Brown's first four seasons were only 12 games, and his last five were 14 games). Brown also set a record by reaching the 100-touchdown milestone in only 93 games, which stood until LaDainian Tomlinson reached it in 89 games during the 2006 season. Brown holds the record for total seasons leading the NFL in all-purpose yards (5: 1958–1961, 1964), and is the only rusher in NFL history to average over 100 yards per game for a career. Brown was also a superb receiver out of the backfield, catching 262 passes for 2,499 yards and 20 touchdowns. Every season he played, Brown was voted into the Pro Bowl, and he left the league in style by scoring three touchdowns in his final Pro Bowl game. Perhaps the most amazing feat is that Jim Brown accomplished these records despite never playing past 29 years of age. Brown's 6 games with at least 4 touchdowns remains an NFL record. LaDainian Tomlinson and Marshall Faulk both have five games with 4 touchdowns.

And he only played 9 seasons!

PPSTATEBOUND
01-26-2010, 08:57 AM
The Tyler Rose....understood the concept of if you run out of bounds your yardage gaining potential on that play comes to a screeching hault.:D

Txbroadcaster
01-26-2010, 09:37 AM
if you substitute rushing yards for passing...and this was a qb we were talking about then there would be no debate who the greatest qb of all time would be...

great point..for some reason Smith always get discounted..people say well he played for a great team, or had a great O-line and so on.

BILLYFRED0000
01-26-2010, 09:51 AM
I think to rate the greatest you must consider all the back can do.
Emmit was overall the best. he could catch out of the backfield.
He was one of the best at blocking schemes picking up blitzes.
He could run with power or make you miss and he was always going forward when you tackled him. And he was the most durable of the group.

If you want to be one dimensional and say running only then your choices could change. But IMHO, Emmit and Sweetness were the best.

Of power backs I would take Earl the Pearl. He was fast too but
it was his power that made him great.

Bearkat
01-26-2010, 09:55 AM
How does Barry Sanders have more votes than Sweetness? This topic has been discussed many times in the past and probably will continue to be discussed. So, I will answer the same way as always. Barry Sanders is and will never be a COMPLETE RUNNING BACK. If you are asking for the best runner, then Barry's name should go at the top of the list. However, that is not what is being asked here. We are looking for the best, all-around, running back that ever played. That means running the ball, catching the ball, blocking. I cannot speak for everyone on this list because I didn't see all of these greats play. I did see Emmitt, Walter, and Barry and there is no comparison between these three.

Sweetness was the best until Emmitt came along!!!

Emmitt has more rushing yards than any other back in the history of the game. I know, I know, your argument is that he played on the best team with the best offensive line. What a crappy argument!!! Many people consider Tom Brady as one of the best QB's to ever play because he won all those Super Bowls with the Patriots. Weren't they the best team in the league those years? Then Brady can not possibly be the best QB since he played for the best team. I know, that sounds pretty stupid. Then why is Emmitt punished for playing on a better team than Barry Sanders? Why is Emmitt punished for having a better O-line than Barry?

Emmitt did it all. He ran with power. He made people miss. He outran people to the endzone on runs over 20 yards. He was the goalline back. He caught the ball out of the backfield. He blocked and blocked very well. And when his career was over, he ran the ball father than anyone else in the world!!!

EMMITT SMITH is the best running back of all time!!!

themsu97
01-26-2010, 09:57 AM
for those of you with your Cowboy shaded glasses on...look at the post about Jim Browns career and then think objectively...
No doubt Jim Brown... it states he could catch... he was a brutal blocker... he was the complete back...
Emmit played in over 200 games in his career... brown played in only 118...
if Brown played until he was 32 or 33, just 3 or 4 more years... his numbers would have been untouchable...

Campbell had a career cut short by a coach he loved dearly... when Earl went to New Orleans with Bum he was a shell of his former self...

then comes Walter... he too was on a very bad team his entire career... then Barry... then Emmit...

imo

BILLYFRED0000
01-26-2010, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
He could run with power or make you miss and he was always going forward when you tackled him. And he was the most durable of the group.

Jim Brown is just as great but in his day he was not responsible for blocking like modern backs have to be because of the changes in the game.

If you want to be one dimensional and say running only then your choices could change. But IMHO, Emmit and Sweetness were the best.

BILLYFRED0000
01-26-2010, 10:13 AM

Jim Brown is just as great but in his day he was not responsible for blocking like modern backs have to be because of the changes in the game. And the era's are different as well. Defenses today are much stronger bigger and faster. Jim was a dominant physical
specimen in his day but would not be today. Emmitt was too small too slow yada yada yada but made it on heart and work ethic and durability. Hard to measure but the stats speak for themselves.

Old Tiger
01-26-2010, 12:11 PM
With the his era argument is stupid cause in 10-15 years the same can/should/will be said about Emmitt.

We're talking about some of the greatest backs of all time and IMO when you are the one of the greatest at your position you tend to transcend time could be just as good in any generation.

big daddy russ
01-26-2010, 12:26 PM
1. Jim Brown
2a. Walter Payton
2b. Earl Campbell
2c. Gale Sayers (if we're talking about purely the best RB's and not the greatest, Campbell and Sayers deserve to be at the top of this list... Sayers is widely regarded as the best pure runner the game's ever seen, but Campbell could block and do all the other little things)
5. Eric Dickerson (fastest to 10k yds... if his body would've held up longer, he'd still have the rushing record)
5. Emmitt Smith (didn't have the breakaway speed that everyone else had, but was fantastic between the tackles and wrote the book on20+ yard runs)
6. Barry Sanders (was without a doubt the most elusive of the bunch and had the most highlights, but I rank him below the rest for two reasons: 1. He had more runs for negative yardage than anyone in NFL history and stalled more than a few Lions' drives, and 2. Wasn't much of an option in goal line situations... Heck, he was usually taken out close to the goal line in favor of Tommy Vardell or another FB... Still, that's just me nitpicking)
7a. LaDanian Tomlinson (it was tough putting him this low... he could hold his own with any of these guys)
7b. Tony Dorsett (see above)

Others I would throw in that mix: Bronco Nagurski, Ernie Nevers, Red Grange, (if we're going back before the modern era) Jim Taylor, Marion Motley, OJ Simpson, Marshall Faulk, and (eventually) Adrian Peterson.

Txbroadcaster
01-26-2010, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by themsu97
for those of you with your Cowboy shaded glasses on...look at the post about Jim Browns career and then think objectively...
No doubt Jim Brown... it states he could catch... he was a brutal blocker... he was the complete back...
Emmit played in over 200 games in his career... brown played in only 118...
if Brown played until he was 32 or 33, just 3 or 4 more years... his numbers would have been untouchable...

Campbell had a career cut short by a coach he loved dearly... when Earl went to New Orleans with Bum he was a shell of his former self...

then comes Walter... he too was on a very bad team his entire career... then Barry... then Emmit...

imo

Brown played in 118 because he wanted to be a movie star, so blame him for not playing longer.

Smith was just as much a complete back as Brown was..the difference is..Brown was as big as the LBS and bigger than the secondary...Smith was usually the smallest or almost smallest guy on the field every time he stepped on the field

big daddy russ
01-26-2010, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Brown played in 118 because he wanted to be a movie star, so blame him for not playing longer.

Smith was just as much a complete back as Brown was..the difference is..Brown was as big as the LBS and bigger than the secondary...Smith was usually the smallest or almost smallest guy on the field every time he stepped on the field
He also played in two fewer games per year, adding up to a season and a quarter less PT than Emmitt, not counting Emmitt's runs through the playoffs.

sotxrat
01-26-2010, 01:17 PM
over the last 40-50 years of pro football, we have witnessed many great running backs, the game has changed over these many years. With that the running backs games have changed as well. So to pick the greatest is very difficult. I would take any on this poll and build a team around them but I probably would start with Jim Brown and if he was taken then just give me any of the rest.

BILLYFRED0000
01-26-2010, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
With the his era argument is stupid cause in 10-15 years the same can/should/will be said about Emmitt.

We're talking about some of the greatest backs of all time and IMO when you are the one of the greatest at your position you tend to transcend time could be just as good in any generation.

You misunderstand the use of his era. In his day a good size lineman on d was 240 pounds and the line backers were safeties and the db's were little. Jim Brown was big. To compare to emmitt's days he would have to be 290 with speed. While there is no doubt that Jim Brown was great, he was also a specimen of size and strength unmatched at his position in his time. That makes him unique. But pound for pound Emmitt, being of below average size and weight and not fast ran much like Brown did able to make you miss or run thru you but without the speed to get away. For him to last as long and take as many hits as he did to get the stats coupled with his durability and ability to block and catch makes him equal to Jim in spite of his size. Not because of it. That makes it emitt to me (the triumph of the little guy) or Sweetness along the same lines with Jim being just below them.

Farmersfan
01-26-2010, 04:32 PM
Jim Brown:

6'2", 234 lbs. Played 9 seasons. Averaged 5.2 yards per carry and 9.5 yards per catch. averaged 29 catches per season.
Averaged 1368 yards per season in 14 games. (plus playoffs)

Emmitt Smith:

5'9", 216lbs. Played 15 seasons. Averaged 4.2 yards carry and 6.3 yards per catch. averaged 34 catches per season.
averaged 1223 yards per season in 16 games.(plus playoffs)

Jim Brown averaged these numbers on a team that had no other offense. Emmitt played with a great QB and a great receiver. Although Emmitt's numbers are great and I would put him high on the list, I don't think he comes close to being in the same league with Jim Brown.

Txbroadcaster
01-26-2010, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
Jim Brown:

6'2", 234 lbs. Played 9 seasons. Averaged 5.2 yards per carry and 9.5 yards per catch. averaged 29 catches per season.
Averaged 1368 yards per season in 14 games. (plus playoffs)

Emmitt Smith:

5'9", 216lbs. Played 15 seasons. Averaged 4.2 yards carry and 6.3 yards per catch. averaged 34 catches per season.
averaged 1223 yards per season in 16 games.(plus playoffs)

Jim Brown averaged these numbers on a team that had no other offense. Emmitt played with a great QB and a great receiver. Although Emmitt's numbers are great and I would put him high on the list, I don't think he comes close to being in the same league with Jim Brown.

I would not say Brown was on a team that was terrible on offense..they had Milt Plum and then Frank Ryan at QB and all decade WR gary Collins.

No not as great as Aikman and Irvin, but not scrubs either.

Phantom Stang
01-26-2010, 05:45 PM
Here's Jim Brown in action....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6cCXNBeVfc

Mcguirk
01-26-2010, 06:08 PM

I believe the 80 yard run against Miami at the 2:15 mark was around his 30th+ carry of the game too.

bobcat4life
01-26-2010, 08:53 PM
enough said...

http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt114/pburns_album/Mobile%20Uploads/1264479372.gif

BILLYFRED0000
01-27-2010, 10:00 AM
Nuff said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnYXS8tT8uc

BILLYFRED0000
01-27-2010, 10:14 AM
nuff said twice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVHLRpg1WSE

pancho villa
01-27-2010, 10:21 AM
It just shows how much lack of football knowledge there is on this board, when Emmitt Smith is leading the pole for best RB.

BILLYFRED0000
01-27-2010, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by pancho villa
It just shows how much lack of football knowledge there is on this board, when Emmitt Smith is leading the pole for best RB.

I just think it varies on what you call a running back. Emmitt played the longest and was arguably one of the toughest and he has the most yards and td's in his career to back him up. Jim Brown and Sweetness are great and have great career stats as well. After that it drops off IMHO. I would take those three and say you can argue any of them and have a case.

STANG RED
01-27-2010, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
I just think it varies on what you call a running back. Emmitt played the longest and was arguably one of the toughest and he has the most yards and td's in his career to back him up. Jim Brown and Sweetness are great and have great career stats as well. After that it drops off IMHO. I would take those three and say you can argue any of them and have a case.

There all great for sure, and I wouldnt argue with you, But for me, I'd still take Earl. Had he played on a team as good as what the Cowboys were in Emmitts day, I dont think you could have put another in the same sentence with him. Without him, the oilers would have never even had a winning season in those days. He was the only real offense they even had, and everybody knew it. Yet they still couldnt stop him.

Txbroadcaster
01-27-2010, 12:59 PM
There all great for sure, and I wouldnt argue with you, But for me, I'd still take Earl. Had he played on a team as good as what the Cowboys were in Emmitts day, I dont think you could have put another in the same sentence with him. Without him, the oilers would have never even had a winning season in those days. He was the only real offense they even had, and everybody knew it. Yet they still couldnt stop him.

I LOVED watching Cambell and yes he was an amazing force..for 3 years...after that he was incredibly average

from 78-80 he was the best player in football..after that though he became a sub 4.0 per yard rusher( had one year after 80 that he finished over 4.0)

We all know why..he was overused, but just like great players like Gale Sayers, the fact injuries slowed him down affects his status IMO

bigwood33
01-27-2010, 01:14 PM
Big Jim Brown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7278s1zUXQI&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H95tbtXBOIQ

STANG RED
01-27-2010, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I LOVED watching Cambell and yes he was an amazing force..for 3 years...after that he was incredibly average

from 78-80 he was the best player in football..after that though he became a sub 4.0 per yard rusher( had one year after 80 that he finished over 4.0)

We all know why..he was overused, but just like great players like Gale Sayers, the fact injuries slowed him down affects his status IMO

I've always had great respect for your opinions and insights. So I'll just have to respectfully disagree with you on this one.:p

Txbroadcaster
01-27-2010, 01:25 PM
I've always had great respect for your opinions and insights. So I'll just have to respectfully disagree with you on this one.:p

LOL thanks..i think lol...like I said I LOVED watching him play..he is from my area, played for my fav college and because of him the Oilers were my 2nd fav team...but I just cant rate him higher than people who were as productive but for longer...If I added players that were injured or career cut short for whatever reason Bo Jackson just on what he COULD have been IMO is far away the best ever RB..but that never showed on the field and I feel that way for Cambell as well sadly.

If he had been used right, Cambell would EASILY be a top 2 back and probably would have surpassed Brown yardage and put it on a level it could never be topped

Phantom Stang
01-27-2010, 08:17 PM
One of my favorite "power backs" of all time is John Riggins. While his stats don't make him eligible for a "best RB ever" argument, he sure was fun to watch.:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wCRJyl2iQ4&NR=1

NateDawg39
01-27-2010, 08:19 PM
Cambell is fun to watch, especially that head to chest shot on the Rams defender

Phil C
01-28-2010, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by PhiI C
I have to confess that I looked at the votes before voting and that I just had to vote for Tony Dorsett because of what he meant to the Cowboys. I just couldn't stand not seeing at least one vote there for him. He did help us win a super bowl and gave us some great years.
I did some research and he still as far as I can tell still holds the NFL record for the longest run from scrimmage at 99 yards against the Vikings. I remember that run in 1983 against the Vikings. What I don't remember is how the ball got there. I think what happened is that Minnesota had the ball inside the 5 yard line and the runner was hit at about the 3 yard line and fumbled and in a mad rush to recover the ball the Cowboys got it about 6 inches from the goal line. Of course it also could have been that the Vikings went for it on a fourth and one at the one yard line or so and got stopped.
Either way the run was actually 99 2/3 yards but of course it only counts as 99 yards. I couldn't find where anyone else has done it in the NFL but it can only be tied. Never broken.

I missed up when I voted under Phil C because I wanted to vote for Curtis but only because I hated for him to not at least get one vote but I pressed the wrong one. Oh well. :(

Phil C
01-28-2010, 11:43 AM
I can't argue with the choice of Jim Brown. He was outstanding. I looked up his statistic and he played with Cleveland from 1957 until 1965 when he gave up football for a movie career. He made over 1000 yards rushing every year except for 1962 and his rookie year when he rushed for 942 yards which was still good considering it was over 12 games. In fact during his early years they only played 12 games and then in the 60s 14 games.
In the 60s one of his main competitors was Jim Taylor of Green Bay. Taylor never could beat him except one year. That was in 1962 when Taylor rushed for 1,474 yards to Brown's 996 yards. The main reason Brown didn't rush for over 1000 yards that year was because he got hurt in the middle of the third quarter (I don't know which game) and they took him out. He could have gone back in but since Cleveland was winning easily they decided not to chance it and kept him out. Had he stayed in a little longer there is no doubt he would have made the yards to break over 1000.
Yet in spite of that one bad year (he was to come out the next year and have a great one rushing for over a mile) the defensive players were asked if they thought the best one was Brown or Taylor and who they would rather not have to tackle and they almost all picked Brown. This was after his worse year and Taylor's bad year. When you are chosen by your defensive peers then that is something and is believable.

Taylor was also a great running back but he was fortunate to have one of the greatest coaches ever in Vince Lombardi and up to that time the best offensive line ever. Brown had a good offensive line but Taylor had a great one. I am sure that Taylor did so but I don't ever remember him being quoted or seeing him ever give the OL any credit for his performances. Brown was one who always gave his OL credit and I have seen him do so after games.

I salute the 3A downlow for their choice of Brown. You made a good one.

NateDawg39
01-28-2010, 12:21 PM
The word running back makes me tired...it makes me think of running :nerd:

bobcat4life
01-28-2010, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
The word running back makes me tired...it makes me think of running :nerd: most of the DL doesnt wanna think about running:D

NateDawg39
01-28-2010, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by bobcat4life
most of the DL doesnt wanna think about running:D I ran into Jack In The Box once...but only cause of the rain ;)

Phantom Stang
01-28-2010, 12:35 PM
most of the DL doesnt wanna think about running:D
yep

bobcat4life
01-28-2010, 12:38 PM
I ran into Jack In The Box once...but only cause of the rain ;) I have to run everyday of the year:(

NateDawg39
01-28-2010, 12:39 PM
I have to run everyday of the year:( What are you? Like a running mail delivery guy?:)

bobcat4life
01-28-2010, 12:43 PM
What are you? Like a running mail delivery guy?:) no high school athletics has got control of me

NateDawg39
01-28-2010, 12:45 PM
no high school athletics has got control of me Stick it to the man!! Walk don't run!:clap: