PDA

View Full Version : Fitzhenry is Staying in Giddings

shamu85
01-25-2010, 05:42 PM
Don't know if anyone posted this yet, but it looks like Fitzhenry talked it over with his family and others and decided not to take the Dobie job after all.

Austin American-Statesman Story (http://www.statesman.com/sports/highschool/)

Fitzhenry to stay in Giddings
By Danny Davis | Monday, January 25, 2010, 01:47 PM

After reports surfaced over the weekend that he had been hired as the new coach at Pasadena Dobie, Giddings head coach Derek Fitzhenry has confirmed to the American-Statesman that will stay with the Buffaloes.

Two Houston-area newspapers recently reported that it would be Fitzhenry that would take over at Dobie, a Class 5A school in Houston that went 4-6 last season. Fitzhenry was even quoted in the South Belt-Ellington Leader as saying “I’m excited to be a part of the Dobie family and to build relationships with the other head coaches.”

Fitzhenry confirmed that he was offered the Dobie job and his hire was approved by the Pasadena ISD school board. However, he said he was given the opportunity to talk the move over with his family and he changed his mind on Sunday night.

“I needed to talk to my family about the move and talk to some people back in Giddings,” Fitzhenry said. “A lot of people came to me and wanted me to stay. You get close to these people. A lot of it was a family decision but being in Giddings, we enjoy it.”

In seven seasons in Giddings, the 43-year-old Fitzhenry is 67-19. He has two years left on a three-year contract and is eligible for an extension in March.

Spencer Fitzhenry, Derek’s son, is a sophomore at Giddings. He was an all-district defensive back in 2009.

ziggy29
01-25-2010, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by shamu85
“I needed to talk to my family about the move...”

You would think that was a given before you even tentatively accepted a new position that requires a move.

bobcat4life
01-25-2010, 06:45 PM
If it was me, I wouldnt even consider leaving....

GiddingsFan
01-25-2010, 06:59 PM
Go Buffs Go!!!!!!

lvbears32
01-25-2010, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by bobcat4life

+1

shamu85
01-25-2010, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by bobcat4life

I don't think I would leave for Pasadena. Not my idea of where I want to be long-term. But hey, to each his own.

fanofthegame
01-26-2010, 01:38 AM
I follow this area football programs, gidding, caldwell, lagrange, b-ville brahmas, etc. my two sons and daughter have grad. out of high school, i won't say where, and it seems that giddings has always been tough on their coaches. wow, let them make a mark and winning program and the rest will take care of itself. lagrange parents had to bite their tounge on some issues, but they had state championships to back it up. good luck coach fitz, you have a good thing going on there in buffaloe land, don't let a group bring you down............

hookandladder
01-26-2010, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by ziggy29
You would think that was a given before you even tentatively accepted a new position that requires a move.

I would have to agree, also with his son being a junior next year may have had something to do with his decision. He would have been competing against a larger number of kids for playing time, I do not know much about his son however the move from 3A to 5A is a pretty big jump. A lot can come into the decision to move, Giddings football will definitely benefit from him staying.

Johnny Utah
01-26-2010, 08:48 AM
Plain and simple, small towns are where it is at for raising a family.

hookandladder
01-26-2010, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
Plain and simple, small towns are where it is at for raising a family.

Totally Agree.

XMan
01-26-2010, 09:35 AM
I only wonder why he has applied for every vacancy in the state if he really doesnt want to leave. If I were Dobie, I wouldnt be too happy. He completely wasted their time and effort.

hookandladder
01-26-2010, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by XMan
I only wonder why he has applied for every vacancy in the state if he really doesnt want to leave. If I were Dobie, I wouldnt be too happy. He completely wasted their time and effort.

Very interesting indeed.

GiddingsFan
01-26-2010, 09:40 AM
You have no idea what you are talking about.

There is nothing wrong with exploring options.

Rule #76
01-26-2010, 10:00 AM
Exploring is one thing but making them think that your gonna take it is another. If you don't want it then turn it down when its offered. Don't play games!!!

Fitzhenry leaves Giddings for Pasadena
By Danny Davis | Saturday, January 23, 2010, 09:14 AM

According to two Houston-area newspapers, Giddings’ Derek Fitzhenry has found a new job. The South Belt-Ellington Leader and the Pasadena Citizen are reporting that Fitzhenry has been hired to be the new football coach at Pasadena Dobie.

“I’m excited to be a part of the Dobie family and to build relationships with the other head coaches,” Fitzhenry told the Leader. “With that said, my job is to put a winner on the field and to help these young athletes develop.”

Dobie is a Class 5A school in Houston. The Longhorns haven’t made the playoffs since 2004 and were 4-6 last season.

In seven season in Giddings, Fitzhenry was 67-19 and he led the Buffaloes to the Class 3A, Division II semifinals in 2008. Giddings was 9-2 last season.

Fitzhenry’s son Spencer was a second team all-district defensive back last season. Spencer Fitzhenry will be a junior next season.

Permalink | Comments (0) | Post your comment

hookandladder
01-26-2010, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Rule #76
Exploring is one thing but making them think that your gonna take it is another. If you don't want it then turn it down when its offered. Don't play games!!!

Fitzhenry leaves Giddings for Pasadena
By Danny Davis | Saturday, January 23, 2010, 09:14 AM

According to two Houston-area newspapers, Giddings’ Derek Fitzhenry has found a new job. The South Belt-Ellington Leader and the Pasadena Citizen are reporting that Fitzhenry has been hired to be the new football coach at Pasadena Dobie.

“I’m excited to be a part of the Dobie family and to build relationships with the other head coaches,” Fitzhenry told the Leader. “With that said, my job is to put a winner on the field and to help these young athletes develop.”

Dobie is a Class 5A school in Houston. The Longhorns haven’t made the playoffs since 2004 and were 4-6 last season.

In seven season in Giddings, Fitzhenry was 67-19 and he led the Buffaloes to the Class 3A, Division II semifinals in 2008. Giddings was 9-2 last season.

Fitzhenry’s son Spencer was a second team all-district defensive back last season. Spencer Fitzhenry will be a junior next season.

Permalink | Comments (0) | Post your comment

With this article it sounds like he told Dobie one thing and Giddings another thing, that does not look or sound like exploring , that sounds like backing out.

GiddingsFan
01-26-2010, 10:35 AM
You have to do what is best for your family. It's easy to judge when you aren't in the situation.

44INAROW
01-26-2010, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Rule #76

I have to agree -

Rule #76
01-26-2010, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by GiddingsFan
You have to do what is best for your family. It's easy to judge when you aren't in the situation.

Not disagreeing with you there. Should have talked this over with his family BEFORE making Dobie think he was taking it!!

shamu85
01-26-2010, 04:37 PM
I haven't been a Fitzhenry fan since his comments after that quarterfinal game against Liberty Hill in 2006.

griff
01-27-2010, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by shamu85
I haven't been a Fitzhenry fan since his comments after that quarterfinal game against Liberty Hill in 2006.

You're not the only one. He refused to shake hands with the WO-S head coach after losing the game the last time they played. His teams tend to lose composure when the games get tight. Too many player ejections have occurred over the years, too. There is an obvious lack of sportsmanship and discipline that dominoes down from the coach to the players. He'll continue to have some good teams at Giddings, but he will never win a state championship.

hookandladder
01-27-2010, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by griff
You're not the only one. He refused to shake hands with the WO-S head coach after losing the game the last time they played. His teams tend to lose composure when the games get tight. Too many player ejections have occurred over the years, too. There is an obvious lack of sportsmanship and discipline that dominoes down from the coach to the players. He'll continue to have some good teams at Giddings, but he will never win a state championship.

From being in the same District for a # of years, I have seen this many times. On the other hand we are pretty bitter rivals however you as the HC should control the discipline, I am sure some Giddings fans will bring up that they have had our # for a few years so that is why I agree. Until you win state making good runs in the playoffs is like kissing your sister.

diehard
01-27-2010, 08:39 AM
How many years in a row has Giddings Beat LaGrange? That is not what this this topic is even about, it is Fitz is staying in Giddings and all the buffaloes fans should be dancing in the streets especially the parents of the kids that are juniors now!! First of all of you idiots out there think you know what is going on, you think he wanted to leave for Dobie? NOT!! Fitz is the has the most wins in Buffaloe football history, and is has a couple of power hungry school board members and a spinless Superintedent after his job, but that is how it always is here in G-Town people are jealous!! If they would leave the coach alone and let him do his job things would be a lot better. If you want to read a great article on this, go to leecountylive.com

pirate4state
01-27-2010, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by diehard
How many years in a row has Giddings Beat LaGrange? That is not what this this topic is even about, it is Fitz is staying in Giddings and all the buffaloes fans should be dancing in the streets especially the parents of the kids that are juniors now!! First of all of you idiots out there think you know what is going on, you think he wanted to leave for Dobie? NOT!! Fitz is the has the most wins in Buffaloe football history, and is has a couple of power hungry school board members and a spinless Superintedent after his job, but that is how it always is here in G-Town people are jealous!! If they would leave the coach alone and let him do his job things would be a lot better. If you want to read a great article on this, go to leecountylive.com wow

hookandladder
01-27-2010, 08:50 AM
How many years in a row has Giddings Beat LaGrange? That is not what this this topic is even about, it is Fitz is staying in Giddings and all the buffaloes fans should be dancing in the streets especially the parents of the kids that are juniors now!! First of all of you idiots out there think you know what is going on, you think he wanted to leave for Dobie? NOT!! Fitz is the has the most wins in Buffaloe football history, and is has a couple of power hungry school board members and a spinless Superintedent after his job, but that is how it always is here in G-Town people are jealous!! If they would leave the coach alone and let him do his job things would be a lot better. If you want to read a great article on this, go to leecountylive.com

Wow, a spinless Superintedent and a couple of power hungry school board memebers and some jealous town people, sounds like a great place to keep coaching. Good Luck with all of that.

GiddingsFan
01-27-2010, 09:18 AM
Seems like you know everything, hookandladder... why aren't you a coach then...

Rule #76
01-27-2010, 10:08 AM

Just went to website... What was it I was looking for?

Mojado
01-27-2010, 10:13 AM
Seems like you know everything, hookandladder... why aren't you a coach then...

Easy GidFan!!! You're the one that doesn't know anything!!!

You only have 90 posts...You need to have over 1000 posts to be taken seriously around here...

For as many people that hate Fitzhenry on this board, yall sure do take a lot time out of your day to talk about the man...

Good luck Giddings! As long as you win they'll hate you. Start losing and you gain a bunch of friends...:D

GiddingsFan
01-27-2010, 10:25 AM
Thanks Mojado

Mojado
01-27-2010, 10:31 AM
Thanks Mojado

I'm not defending you! I don't like you! I don't know you!

I only like Pancho Villa!!! Viva la Raza!!!!