PDA

View Full Version : NFL Qbs. The best?

BEAST
01-25-2010, 02:50 PM
All the talk about Favre being this or that is understandable. However, he is one of the best to ever lace em up. The fact that at the age of 40 he can still get in there and go toe to toe says alot about the man.

With that said, I believe that Peyton Manning is the best QB to ever play ball. Some love him, some hate him, thats beside the point. What he does is amazing. The Colts do not need a coach on offense. They dont need a game plan. He does both before almost every play and he rarely if ever makes a bad call. To me, he is simply above all the others. For you haters, be honest, if you could pick a Qb to start on your team, who would it be? Wanted to throw this in there, Im NOT a Colts fan. This is just my observation.

BEAST

NateDawg39
01-25-2010, 02:59 PM
My top FAVORITE is Mark Sanchez. I like his role and his ability to handle being young on a team like the Jets

My opinion of who the BEST is... Peyton Manning

The WORST...JaMarcus Russel and Phillip Rivers.

headhunter
01-25-2010, 03:10 PM
The list of Great Qurterbacks to ever play the game.

Note: This list is done with very little research and is mostly off the top of my head. This how I rank them.

1. Joe Montana (4 Time Super Bowl QB)
2. John Elway
3. Brett Farve
4. Peyton Manning (could move up)
5. Jonny Unites
6. Tom Brady (could move up)
7. Terry Bradshaw
8. Bart Starr
9. Dan Marino
10. Roger Staubach
11. Troy Aikman
12. Steve Young
13. Bob Griese
14. Joe Namath
15. Jim Kelly

Others that I like: Ben Rothlisburger; Kurt Warner; Warren Moon; Ken Stabler; Donavan McNAbb

After looking at my list their is a lot of guys that you can argue their rank. Peyton Manning may be the most valuable player of any to his team, Montana has 4 rings and was great when it counted. Same with Bradshaw. Lets see yalls list.

Txbroadcaster
01-25-2010, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
My top FAVORITE is Mark Sanchez. I like his role and his ability to handle being young on a team like the Jets

Rivers the worst?!?!

BEAST
01-25-2010, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by headhunter

Note: This list is done with very little research and is mostly off the top of my head. This how I rank them.

2. John Elway
3. Brett Farve
5. Jonny Unites
7. Terry Bradshaw
8. Bart Starr
9. Dan Marino
10. Roger Staubach
11. Troy Aikman
12. Steve Young
13. Bob Griese
14. Joe Namath
15. Jim Kelly

Others that I like: Ben Rothlisburger; Kurt Warner; Warren Moon; Ken Stabler; Donavan McNAbb

After looking at my list their is a lot of guys that you can argue their rank. Peyton Manning may be the most valuable player of any to his team, Montana has 4 rings and was great when it counted. Same with Bradshaw. Lets see yalls list.

To me, I think Aikman should be higher on your list. I dont think he has ever really been given the credit he deserves. But on my list, Manning is the best pure Qb of them all.

BEAST

Txbroadcaster
01-25-2010, 03:19 PM
I think Terry Bradshaw is one of the most overrated QBs in history..him and Joe Namath

Pick6
01-25-2010, 03:24 PM
Otto Graham is top 3 if not the the best ever.

bigwood33
01-25-2010, 03:34 PM
Here is a link to Peter King's top 12 all time qb's and he has Otto Graham number 1!
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0909/nfl.peter.king.top.qbs/content.1.html?eref=sihp&eref=shareDigg

BreckTxLonghorn
01-25-2010, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Imost overrated QBs .... and Joe Namath

I like the Namath and all, but agree totally. It's mind blowing how mediocre his numbers were across the board.

Farmersfan
01-25-2010, 04:06 PM
Steve Young
Dan Marino
Joe Montana
Roger Staubach
Dan Fouts
Peyton Manning
Fran Tarkenton
John Elway
Bob Griese
Jim Kelly

Aikman, Bradshaw, Ken Anderson, Boomer Eisieson (sp), Phil Sims and many others would all come after these. I'm probably forgetting someone very important.

I don't remember many of those older guys. This were based the QB's I remember growing up with.

I think Peyton Manning will end his career as the #1 of all times.

BwdLions
01-25-2010, 04:21 PM
Here's my list along with their Super Bowl record.

1. Joe Montana (4-0 in Super Bowls)
2. Terry Bradshaw (4-0 in Super Bowls)
3. John Elway (2-3 in Super Bowls)
4. Brett Farve (1-1 in Super Bowls)
5. Peyton Manning (1-0 in Super Bowls)
6. Troy Aikman (3-0 in Super Bowls)
6. Johnny Unitas (1-0 in Super Bowls)
7. Tom Brady (3-1 in Super Bowls)
8. Bart Starr (2-0 in Super Bowls)
9. Dan Marino (0-1 in Super Bowls)
10. Roger Staubach (2-2 in Super Bowls)
11. Jim Kelly (0-4 in Super Bowls)
12. Steve Young (1-0 in Super Bowls)
13. Bob Griese (2-1 in Super Bowls)
14. 15. Kurt Warner (1-2 in Super Bowls)
15. Ben Roethlisburger (2-0 in Super Bowls)
16. Jim Plunkett (2-0 in Super Bowls)
17. Fran Tarkington (0-3 in Super Bowls)
18. Eli Manning (1-0 in Super Bowls)
19. Len Dawson (1-1 in Super Bowls)
20. Joe Namath (1-0 in Super Bowls)

Farmersfan
01-25-2010, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by BwdLions

You have 6 QB's that are still playing in the top 20 of All time.

headhunter
01-25-2010, 04:51 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BEAST
[B]To me, I think Aikman should be higher on your list. I dont think he has ever really been given the credit he deserves. But on my list, Manning is the best pure Qb of them all.

Yea, I can agree with you, I kind of threw this list together with out a lot of research, I always appreciated the job thatAikman did. I also am not a big fan of Joe Namath. that is why I put him at #14.

I do think Peyton Manning may be the all-time greatest by the end of his career.

coach
01-25-2010, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
Otto Graham is top 3 if not the the best ever.

now hes overrated....the talent was so low when he played...no wonder he won all those championships

icu812
01-25-2010, 05:17 PM

is your worst a joke? Rivers is one top qb's in the league and his stats and teams success back it up.

I agee with Manning and Russel.

Txbroadcaster
01-25-2010, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan

I think that is fair..the QB has changed so much that now I think they are expected to do more and thus have better stats

crzyjournalist03
01-25-2010, 05:53 PM
If Eli Manning is in the top 20, that means if he were to retire today, he'd be in the hall of fame, which I don't see at all.

big daddy russ
01-25-2010, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by coach
now hes overrated....the talent was so low when he played...no wonder he won all those championships
Actually, when he played the AAFC was considered far inferior to the NFL. The NFL got most of the college studs, drew far greater attendance numbers for most of their franchises, and just had more money in general.

Then the NFL absorbed the Browns from the AAFC merger... and the Browns just kept winning titles.

So I'd contend that he kept winning despite going from an "inferior" league to a league with a boon of talent. He was one of the most athletic QB's during the early era of the forward pass, having spent a year on the Rochester Royals (now known as the Sacramento Kings) in the NBA. He followed in the footsteps of Sammy Baugh, Arnie Herber, and Cecil Isbell, further revolutionizing the forward pass. He ushered in the era of Norm Van Brocklin, Eddie LeBaron, Bobby Layne, Sonny Jurgensen, and YA Tittle.

Would any of the pre-1960's QB's make an impact if dropped right into today's NFL? Probably not. Throwing techniques, playbooks, coverages, and the rules have changed so much that guys like Graham and Sammy Baugh would be completely lost on the field. They just weren't properly prepared for the modern game. They had side jobs during the offseason, didn't work out year-round, and didn't grow up learning how to read Baltimore's 200 different packages of a zone blitz.

And because we can't compare them equally against modern talent, we have to compare them against the talent at the time they played. And even though there was a huge boon of QB talent during the 50's, Graham stood head-and-shoulders above them all.

coach
01-25-2010, 06:00 PM

actually he only has one still playing right now

the genious
01-25-2010, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
If Eli Manning is in the top 20, that means if he were to retire today, he'd be in the hall of fame, which I don't see at all.

amen brother i agree complitly with u:clap:

NateDawg39
01-25-2010, 06:36 PM
Rivers the worst?!?! Yep, his arrogance and classless attitude will never get him a ring

bobcat4life
01-25-2010, 07:25 PM
right now the best ever is either Elway or Montana...but I think Peyton Manning will be the best by the time he retires

Txbroadcaster
01-25-2010, 08:04 PM
Yep, his arrogance and classless attitude will never get him a ring

Personal arrogance has no say in how good a QB is or not..in fact I would say most of the great ones were arrogant pricks

sinfan75
01-25-2010, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by headhunter

2. John Elway
3. Brett Farve
5. Jonny Unites
7. Terry Bradshaw
8. Bart Starr
9. Dan Marino
10. Roger Staubach
11. Troy Aikman
12. Steve Young
13. Bob Griese
14. Joe Namath
15. Jim Kelly

After looking at my list their is a lot of guys that you can argue their rank. Peyton Manning may be the most valuable player of any to his team, Montana has 4 rings and was great when it counted. Same with Bradshaw. Lets see yalls list. I'd put Bart Starr a little higher. Before the Super Bowls came along I think he had a couple NFL titles to his credit.

NateDawg39
01-25-2010, 08:36 PM
Personal arrogance has no say in how good a QB is or not..in fact I would say most of the great ones were arrogant pricks Yes it does

Txbroadcaster
01-25-2010, 09:00 PM
Yes it does

Really? how?

NateDawg39
01-25-2010, 09:04 PM
Really? how? He won't win with a selfish attitude therefore will never be a top QB

coach
01-25-2010, 09:07 PM
He won't win with a selfish attitude therefore will never be a top QB

how is he selfish

NateDawg39
01-25-2010, 09:09 PM
how is he selfish He wouldn't share his beef jerky with me last week at the carnival. Then he stole my Ninja Turtle action figure and won't give it back

Txbroadcaster
01-25-2010, 09:10 PM
He won't win with a selfish attitude therefore will never be a top QB

I disagree..I think for the position of QB there has to be a little bit of that selfish I CAN win the game type of attitude..The greats ones all have it

Your not great if you dont think your good enough to take the ball with 2 mins left and drive the field for the win

Txbroadcaster
01-25-2010, 09:10 PM
He wouldn't share his beef jerky with me last week at the carnival. Then he stole my Ninja Turtle action figure and won't give it back

:clap:

NateDawg39
01-25-2010, 09:15 PM
I disagree..I think for the position of QB there has to be a little bit of that selfish I CAN win the game type of attitude..The greats ones all have it

Your not great if you dont think your good enough to take the ball with 2 mins left and drive the field for the win Kinda like Favre did ;)

sinfan75
01-25-2010, 09:38 PM
Ya'll remember when discussin great QB's of the NFL, the guys before the 70's called they're own plays. Even during the 70's. Mid 70's and early 80's you saw the end QB's callin they're own plays. Landry was I believe the first NFL coach to NOT let his QB call his own plays other than audibles. Staubach HATED that crap. But Dallas won two Super Bowls and made it to three others. So remember when discussing great NFL QB's, remember the old farts that had no plays brought in from the sidelines, they just called the plays that they felt would work. And for that I give you Johny Unitas, Bart Starr, Earl Morrel and Joe Namath as my best of the NFL.

bigwood33
01-25-2010, 09:58 PM
Sorry Coach, you don't know what you are talking about.

Txbroadcaster
01-25-2010, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by sinfan75
Ya'll remember when discussin great QB's of the NFL, the guys before the 70's called they're own plays. Even during the 70's. Mid 70's and early 80's you saw the end QB's callin they're own plays. Landry was I believe the first NFL coach to NOT let his QB call his own plays other than audibles. Staubach HATED that crap. But Dallas won two Super Bowls and made it to three others. So remember when discussing great NFL QB's, remember the old farts that had no plays brought in from the sidelines, they just called the plays that they felt would work. And for that I give you Johny Unitas, Bart Starr, Earl Morrel and Joe Namath as my best of the NFL.

those QBs also did not face cover 2, cover 3, Man-zone combo coverage. It was 90% man to man defense so them calling their own plays were a little bit simpler.

Pick6
01-26-2010, 09:06 AM
those QBs also did not face cover 2, cover 3, Man-zone combo coverage. It was 90% man to man defense so them calling their own plays were a little bit simpler.

It was man to man, but the pass interference was different also. You could hit the receiver when the ball was in the air.

thelegend02
01-26-2010, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by BwdLions

Surely your kidding with Eli Manning??? Top 20 of all time. Closet Giant fan? I would put Ryan Leaf before Eli Manning!

BwdLions
01-26-2010, 11:22 AM

I didn't have the time to think about my list very long. I probably could argue with myself on my list. :D

bandera7
01-26-2010, 01:09 PM
To me, Peyton will be the greatest ever. But not yet. He needs one more SB. Montana holds it until then. As for Elway being above Favre...i dont agree with that. But, thats why talking sports is fun.

Diocletian
01-26-2010, 08:54 PM
Peyton is no better than Kurt Warner or Steve Young

He needs to get one more ring to be mid-tier in my opinion.

Once he gets 3 rings, then and only then does he come in the same discussion with Aikmen, Montana, Bradshaw, Brady, Staub...and Unitas

NateDawg39
01-26-2010, 08:59 PM
Johnny U only has one ring though right?

Pick6
01-26-2010, 09:32 PM
Johnny U only has one ring though right?

And Staubach only has 2. Why does Manning need 3 to be compared to him?

carter08
01-26-2010, 10:45 PM
Why is does a QB need to win 3 rings to be the best ever? Marino didn't win any and he's a top 5 QB of all time.

bobcat4life
01-26-2010, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by carter08
Why is does a QB need to win 3 rings to be the best ever? Marino didn't win any and he's a top 5 QB of all time. many people want the "best ever" to be a winner and the majority of people judge that by rings

bandera7
01-27-2010, 02:01 AM
Brady above Manning already discredits that entire statement to me

big daddy russ
01-27-2010, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by bobcat4life
many people want the "best ever" to be a winner and the majority of people judge that by rings
DISCLAIMER: This isn't directed at you, bobcat, just the people who want to put undue weight on rings in the argument of "best ever."

But with 21 other people helping him out (or holding him back), should it really rest on his shoulders alone?

One of the big rubs of Marino was that he didn't have much help during his career. The defense didn't develop until his waning years, he didn't have a 1,000-yd rusher until 1996 (the only 1k-yd rusher of his career), and worst of all was that it wasn't for lack of trying. Sure, the offense began and ended with Marino throughout the 80's, but by the time 1990 rolled around Shula realized that Marino couldn't do it alone with only the aging Marks brothers as help. So they gave the running game a heavy load at the start of every season from there out, but the backs would be struggling to get 3.0 yards per touch six games into the season and they had Marino in the backfield. Suddenly they were leaning on their horse all over again.

And your Lone Ranger will get you to nine or 10 wins and into the postseason, but rarely to a SuperBowl. The worst part of it all was that the Dolphins back then tended to draft low and make horrible personnel decisions, so the overall talent level on those teams was atrocious. Heck, their number one receiver for a long time was a guy named OJ McDuffie. Sure, they broke up that train wreck of a first-rounder with a couple years of an aging Irving Fryar, but even though he was stuck with a guy named McDuffie, Marino turned that pedestrian possession receiver into a 1,000-yd guy at age 37.

When your supporting cast includes starters like Bernie Parmalee (who never rushed for more than 4.0 yds/carry in a full season) and Mark Higgs (who went from being a starter in Miami to being scrapped in Phoenix...in PHOENIX!!!... OK, it used to sound worse than it does nowadays), it just may be more about the guys around the QB than the QB himself.

I've always thought that too much emphasis was put on rings. Peyton and Marino are/were MUCH better quarterbacks than Bart Starr. No comparison. Still, Starr gets the recognition because the other two guys in his backfield happened to be named Paul Hornung and Jim Taylor. And forget the fact that two all-time greats lined up behind him, his supporting cast included others like Forrest Gregg, Max McGee, Herb Adderly and Ray Nitschke.

Aikman had Emmitt, Michael, Eric Williams, Charles Haley, and a few other guys who are potential HOFers. Montana had Jerry Rice, Ronnie Lott, Charles Haley (again), and a few other potential HOFers with them, not to mention a decent run game. Unitas had almost as many HOFers as Starr. The guys that had Miami's number in the late-80's and early-to-mid-90's (the Bills) had Thurman Thomas, James Lofton, Bruce Smith, Andre Reed, etc, etc to complement Jim Kelly. Marino had... C Dwight Stephenson and potentially Zach Thomas, during completely different eras.

So yeah, Marino's easily top five on my list, regardless of rings. If Staubach can enjoy such a reputation with Bob Lilly, Herb Adderly, "Bullet" Bob Hayes, Randy White, Rayfield Wright, Tony Dorsett, Mel Renfro, etc, etc to help him out, then I don't have a problem in the world putting Marino up there.