PDA

View Full Version : After Feb. 7, 2010

Phil C
01-25-2010, 12:24 PM
there will then be four NFL teams that have never played in a Super Bowl. The fifith one - the New Orleans Saints - will have then played in one.

The four left will be:

1. Detroit Lions (established in Detroit in 1934)
2. Jacksonville Jaguars (established in 1995)
3. Cleveland Browns (established in 1999)
4. Houston Texans (extablished in 2002)

waterboy
01-25-2010, 12:27 PM
Poor ol' Detroit.:( The other teams are relatively young franchises, but little ol' Detroit just can't get over the hump. The sad part is it doesn't look like they are heading in the right direction to change it, either.........

Txbroadcaster
01-25-2010, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
Poor ol' Detroit.:( The other teams are relatively young franchises, but little ol' Detroit just can't get over the hump. The sad part is it doesn't look like they are heading in the right direction to change it, either.........

I think Detroit is moving the right direction..slowly yes..but I also think we could see them take a big step this next year

BullsFan
01-25-2010, 12:33 PM
Did the old Cleveland Browns play in a SB? I'm not sure if I consider those to be two different teams. I know logistically they are, but it feels different than the other expansion teams. Probably because the name is the same.

NateDawg39
01-25-2010, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I think Detroit is moving the right direction..slowly yes..but I also think we could see them take a big step this next year I would love to see them win one. Maybe it takes a few years but as stated, they are heading in the right direction.

ziggy29
01-25-2010, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by BullsFan
Did the old Cleveland Browns play in a SB? I'm not sure if I consider those to be two different teams. I know logistically they are, but it feels different than the other expansion teams. Probably because the name is the same.
As far as NFL records go, the "old" Cleveland Browns and the "new" Browns are considered the same franchise.

Having said that, the "old" Browns never played in a Super Bowl either, thanks to "The Drive" and Earnest Byner's fumble.

Maroon87
01-25-2010, 01:00 PM
The "old" Browns are now the Ravens, so yes, they did play in (and win) a SB.

The "new" Browns are a seperate franchise altogether I believe...:thinking:
Of course, I could be wrong on this...it's all so confusing.:confused:

Txbroadcaster
01-25-2010, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
The "old" Browns are now the Ravens, so yes, they did play in (and win) a SB.

The "new" Browns are a seperate franchise altogether I believe...:thinking:
Of course, I could be wrong on this...it's all so confusing.:confused:

not really..when Modell left Cleveland he left everything behind..Basically the Ravens became an expansion and all records stayed in Cleveland

When the new Browns begane, they did so under those records and history

crzyjournalist03
01-25-2010, 01:07 PM
not really..when Modell left Cleveland he left everything behind..Basically the Ravens became an expansion and all records stayed in Cleveland

Txbroadcaster is right...the NFL considers the Cleveland Browns of old and new to be one entity. The Baltimore Ravens are a completely separate entity.

So the Cleveland Browns, who joined the NFL in 1950, have never played in a Super Bowl.

Rabid Cougar
01-25-2010, 01:33 PM
BUT the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions have won NFL Championships!

waterboy
01-25-2010, 02:17 PM
I think Detroit is moving the right direction..slowly yes..but I also think we could see them take a big step this next year
Maybe........maybe not. There's been many times in the past where you could say they were headed in the right direction, but it never materialized for whatever reason. Don't get me wrong, they have been competitive at times in years past, but being competitive and getting to the Super Bowl, or even deep into the playoffs, are two different things. I agree that they could be taking steps in the right direction, though, but we'll have to wait and see how that turns out for them. After all, there's only one direction they can go from where they are now.......right?

Phil C
01-25-2010, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
BUT the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions have won NFL Championships!

That is right and before the Super Bowl in 1967 the NFL Championship winners are generally recognized as the World Champions of Pro Football because the old AFL hadn't really caught up to the NFL until the late 60s. The AFL didn't get established until 1960.
In the 50s Cleveland and Detroit were the teams of the decade because each won three NFL championships. Detroit actually went 3 - 1 against Cleveland in championship games but Cleveland played in more championships winning 3 of 7 games.
Cleveland last won the NFL championship in 1964 led by the great RB Jim Brown.
In the 50s Cleveland was the champion in 1950, 1954 and 1955. Detroit won in 1952, 1953 and 1957.

Maroon87
01-25-2010, 03:43 PM

Sortly after I posted I remembered the whole setup...it was different from the Oilers/Titans thing, where all the franchise records and lineage went to Tennessee...

ziggy29
01-25-2010, 03:45 PM

Right. As I recall that was part of the deal which allowed Modell to move the franchise without a long and expensive court fight which seemed inevitable. The NFL helped broker a deal between Cleveland interests and Modell that allowed the Browns to leave Cleveland, subject to the following:

1. Cleveland would build a new facility for football (i.e. no more "Mistake by the Lake);

2. Cleveland would move to the front of the line for the next NFL expansion franchise;

3. The history, record books, name and colors of the Cleveland Browns would remain tied with the future expansion Cleveland Browns franchise.

In fact, for a time when it looked like the Saints might not be able to play in New Orleans for a while after Katrina and there was talk of moving the team, New Orleans officials objected and threatened legal action unless the NFL gave New Orleans "the Cleveland Browns deal."

JasperDog94
01-25-2010, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by ziggy29
In fact, for a time when it looked like the Saints might not be able to play in New Orleans for a while after Katrina and there was talk of moving the team, New Orleans officials objected and threatened legal action unless the NFL gave New Orleans "the Cleveland Browns deal." It also helped that the taxpayers paid for most of the 100+ million dollar renovation to the superdump.

Phil C
01-25-2010, 05:30 PM
The following teams have been to the Super Bowl at least once but have never won it.

1. Philadelphia Eagles
2. Buffalo Bills
3. Arizona Cardinals
4. Seatle Seahawks
5. San Diego Chargers
6. Minnesota Vikings
7. Cincinnati Bengals
8 Carolina Panthers
9. Tennessee Titans

New Orleans is playing in the Super Bowl for the first time in their history. Will they be No. 10 or will the list stay at the 9 above? We will see.