PDA

View Full Version : Baseball offseason

XMan
01-25-2010, 07:04 AM
Well, only 4 more days of baseball offseason left and the real thing begins. What has your team been doing during the athletic period to get better at baseball?

Rabid Cougar
01-25-2010, 07:07 AM
Do football off season drills.

Buffgal
01-25-2010, 09:14 AM
Giddings has no baseball offseason athletic period during the fall so my baseball player was taking a college class and using the time to make his college visits. Our set up here is a student is not allowed to enroll in the offseason athletic period unless he/she is a two sport player. If my son had been a basketball player, he would have been allowed in the fall athletic period because he would have been preparing for basketball season which begins in the fall semester. This is my understanding of the current rule. I know it applies to girls too since my niece is only a softball player and she is also not enrolled in a fall offseason athletic period. I think we just don't have enough coaches to monitor all of the kids during the athletic period so they have to cut down somehow. Don't jump on me about this observation, not bashing any rules or Fitz or anybody, just stating facts and the way that the high school counselors have explained it to me when I asked "Why?".

Places like Carthage and Jasper are extremely fortunate to have a baseball fall athletic program. I did not know it existed until I read it on 3abaseball and I was really surprised. Guess I need to get out more.

What have we done to prepare.................On his own after school, he was running, lifting, hitting, catching drills and catching bullpens per his select team coach's suggestions. He was allowed to use the high school gym, weight room after school but also used a locally owned weight room. He also played in the Premier Baseball Scout League this fall, playing 14 inning games each Sunday for about two months.

He also went to the deer lease alot this fall knowing it would be his last chance since next fall he will be playing games.

pancho villa
01-25-2010, 10:08 AM
WHO CARES!

Mojado
01-25-2010, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Buffgal
Giddings has no baseball offseason athletic period during the fall so my baseball player was taking a college class and using the time to make his college visits. Our set up here is a student is not allowed to enroll in the offseason athletic period unless he/she is a two sport player. If my son had been a basketball player, he would have been allowed in the fall athletic period because he would have been preparing for basketball season which begins in the fall semester. This is my understanding of the current rule. I know it applies to girls too since my niece is only a softball player and she is also not enrolled in a fall offseason athletic period. I think we just don't have enough coaches to monitor all of the kids during the athletic period so they have to cut down somehow. Don't jump on me about this observation, not bashing any rules or Fitz or anybody, just stating facts and the way that the high school counselors have explained it to me when I asked "Why?".

Places like Carthage and Jasper are extremely fortunate to have a baseball fall athletic program. I did not know it existed until I read it on 3abaseball and I was really surprised. Guess I need to get out more.

What have we done to prepare.................On his own after school, he was running, lifting, hitting, catching drills and catching bullpens per his select team coach's suggestions. He was allowed to use the high school gym, weight room after school but also used a locally owned weight room. He also played in the Premier Baseball Scout League this fall, playing 14 inning games each Sunday for about two months.

He also went to the deer lease alot this fall knowing it would be his last chance since next fall he will be playing games.

All you're good for is stirring the pot....:doh:

lvbears32
01-25-2010, 10:42 AM
we did absolutly nothin

Buffgal
01-25-2010, 10:44 AM
MOJADO To respond as you like to LMAO (fyi I am only remembering that because I had to look it up because I did not know what it meant)

........I was only answering the question put forth "What did you do during baseball offseason?" Maybe I should have replied "Well for the last two weeks which has been our baseball offseason, they have been hitting in the repurposed ag building/indoor batting cages (special thanks to whoever approved this and did all the work, I don't know who to give credit to, if it was Fitz's idea and approval THANKS, THANKS, THANKS, it's is awesome and much appreciated and needed as baseball brings inclement weather as we all know),...........................Buffalo baseball team have been lifting, running, throwing etc. They have also been praying daily for their teammate Vinson.

&& I am good at stirring the pot, that is why he gained & I didn't lose 10 lbs during the fall.

Mojado
01-25-2010, 11:02 AM
MOJADO To respond as you like to LMAO (fyi I am only remembering that because I had to look it up because I did not know what it meant)

........I was only answering the question put forth "What did you do during baseball offseason?" Maybe I should have replied "Well for the last two weeks which has been our baseball offseason, they have been hitting in the repurposed ag building/indoor batting cages (special thanks to whoever approved this and did all the work, I don't know who to give credit to, if it was Fitz's idea and approval THANKS, THANKS, THANKS, it's is awesome and much appreciated and needed as baseball brings inclement weather as we all know),...........................Buffalo baseball team have been lifting, running, throwing etc. They have also been praying daily for their teammate Vinson.

&& I am good at stirring the pot, that is why he gained & I didn't lose 10 lbs during the fall.

I LOVE YOU BUFFGAL!!!!!:kiss:

pancho villa
01-25-2010, 11:16 AM
Standaround is for NA'S

GreenMonster
01-25-2010, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by pancho villa
Standaround is for NA'S It's OK Pancho, we'll leave your ATHLETES to their fat little girlfriends who can teach them to turn left. From what I remember of track in HS it was mainly good for picking up phone numbers from the girls at other schools.

truebluestang
01-25-2010, 03:38 PM
Didn''t pick a baseball up until baseball season and played on two state championship teams.

Spread It Out
01-25-2010, 04:25 PM
Giddings has no baseball offseason athletic period during the fall so my baseball player was taking a college class and using the time to make his college visits. Our set up here is a student is not allowed to enroll in the offseason athletic period unless he/she is a two sport player. If my son had been a basketball player, he would have been allowed in the fall athletic period because he would have been preparing for basketball season which begins in the fall semester. This is my understanding of the current rule. I know it applies to girls too since my niece is only a softball player and she is also not enrolled in a fall offseason athletic period. I think we just don't have enough coaches to monitor all of the kids during the athletic period so they have to cut down somehow.

Bellville is the same way but if you're a senior you're allowed to do only 1 sport and still be in the athletic period.

Daddy D 11
01-25-2010, 06:31 PM
LH has had a baseball off season for 5 years. Helps a lot I think.

DDBooger
01-25-2010, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by truebluestang
Didn''t pick a baseball up until baseball season and played on two state championship teams. and those teams would be humiliated by today's teams

Daddy D 11
01-25-2010, 07:02 PM
Off the topic but I thought it was cool. In the past 4 years, the LH baseball team has won 3 district titles. All of them in different regions.

2006-Region 4
2008-Region 3
2009-Region 1

Sadly, in all of those years we lost in the 3rd round.

XMan
01-26-2010, 07:16 AM
So, from the responses so far, it seems that the baseball players dont do a whole lot to get ready. Its a real shame that once football is over, the baseball offseason doesnt get going in earnest. I dont see why the baseball guys cant be throwing, hitting and fielding during the period to get ready for their next sport. Baseball at the 3a level as a whole would benefit greatly. College recruiters would more readily go after 3a players if the level of play would rise as a whole. There have been some really great 3a players in the passed, some have even gone to the big leagues. Until parents start demanding that baseball is taken more seriously, nothing will change. Baseball should not be the red headed step child that it is. Just my take.

hookandladder
01-26-2010, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by XMan
So, from the responses so far, it seems that the baseball players dont do a whole lot to get ready. Its a real shame that once football is over, the baseball offseason doesnt get going in earnest. I dont see why the baseball guys cant be throwing, hitting and fielding during the period to get ready for their next sport. Baseball at the 3a level as a whole would benefit greatly. College recruiters would more readily go after 3a players if the level of play would rise as a whole. There have been some really great 3a players in the passed, some have even gone to the big leagues. Until parents start demanding that baseball is taken more seriously, nothing will change. Baseball should not be the red headed step child that it is. Just my take.

I do agree with most stated and it would be a big plus to have offseason to get ready however a lot of your 3A and lower teams players that are committed to baseball start working out on their own. The way of life in Texas High School lower divisions, with some exceptions.

pancho villa
01-26-2010, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
It's OK Pancho, we'll leave your ATHLETES to their fat little girlfriends who can teach them to turn left. From what I remember of track in HS it was mainly good for picking up phone numbers from the girls at other schools.

fat girls are the salt of the earth. I hope you got your dirt watered, and raked for Friday, so you can look good standing around.

hookandladder
01-26-2010, 08:48 AM
fat girls are the salt of the earth. I hope you got your dirt watered, and raked for Friday, so you can look good standing around.

Watering the dirt and raking the field is for the Maintenance crew and the other ass. coaches that are standing around watching kids turn left.

XMan
01-26-2010, 09:07 AM
So, hook and ladder, what you are saying is that its always been this way, so thats the way it should be. I agree that this is the philosophy but its not a good one. Just because its always been done a certain way doesnt make it right. Having baseball kids go through football offseason before they go practice is about the most ridiculous thing ive ever heard of. How silly would it be to suggest that during football season the football guys go take a round of bp before they go to football practice. Its time for baseball parents to wise up.

GiddingsFan
01-26-2010, 09:40 AM
Jasper was a 4A, that might have something to do with it. Also, they have always been good in baseball. Giddings has been to the playoffs twice in the last 20 years (I might be a few years off) and after this next season... that's it. There is really not enough consistency to have a baseball offseason...

hookandladder
01-26-2010, 09:53 AM
So, hook and ladder, what you are saying is that its always been this way, so thats the way it should be. I agree that this is the philosophy but its not a good one. Just because its always been done a certain way doesnt make it right. Having baseball kids go through football offseason before they go practice is about the most ridiculous thing ive ever heard of. How silly would it be to suggest that during football season the football guys go take a round of bp before they go to football practice. Its time for baseball parents to wise up.

I am with you but unforunately the way it is is the way it will stay most likely, I do like the weight lifting in the period if it is done right with the right amount for each sport. I think the offseason issue happens at school 3A and down because of the number of athletic's, fair or not it is the norm at most smaller schools. That is why in my opionion if you play sports other than football it is a must for you to play on a good select team, I know playing on a select team does not directly benefit your school team but it is a must if your kid wants to play college ball.

hookandladder
01-26-2010, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by GiddingsFan
Jasper was a 4A, that might have something to do with it. Also, they have always been good in baseball. Giddings has been to the playoffs twice in the last 20 years (I might be a few years off) and after this next season... that's it. There is really not enough consistency to have a baseball offseason...

So you are saying after this season, Giddings baseball will not be any good or am I missing your point.

themsu97
01-26-2010, 10:02 AM
it's baseball... who cares...

in small town schools what coaches are available... heck what kids are available...
most are playing basketball or lifting weights...

you know, that whole bigger, faster, stronger concept...

baseball/softball parents are the worst... they want to do the least amount of work...
they want to play ball all year for their "select" teams, then when their arms hurt or go dead or require Tommy John surgery, from overuse buy "select" coaches that are clueless, they want to blame the fact that they had no off season in which to work...

hookandladder
01-26-2010, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by themsu97

in small town schools what coaches are available... heck what kids are available...

baseball/softball parents are the worst... they want to do the least amount of work...
they want to play ball all year for their "select" teams, then when their arms hurt or go dead or require Tommy John surgery, from overuse buy "select" coaches that are clueless, they want to blame the fact that they had no off season in which to work...

I feel for you and if you have any kids that actually beleive this or have to go to a school that runs their programs this way. That is sick.

pancho villa
01-26-2010, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by hookandladder
I feel for you and if you have any kids that actually beleive this or have to go to a school that runs their programs this way. That is sick.

You are a typical parent of a non-athlete who playes standaround. Football is King and everything else is off-season. Track is for the football athletes and baseball is for the NA'S

rholl
01-26-2010, 10:46 AM
me thinks pancho never was good enough to hit the curve ball!!!!!!!!

baseballcoach13
01-26-2010, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by rholl
me thinks pancho never was good enough to hit the curve ball!!!!!!!!

Naw, I bet Pancho could hit the curve just fine. The problem was God only gave him two hands. It is real tough to hold a bat and eat two hot dogs at the same time. The hot dogs are going to win that contest every time.

hookandladder
01-26-2010, 11:41 AM
You are a typical parent of a non-athlete who playes standaround. Football is King and everything else is off-season. Track is for the football athletes and baseball is for the NA'S

You are dead wrong, my son loves and plays both sports. I hope for the kids sake that you are just an armchair coach not a real coach. Many good athlete's excel at both Football and Baseball, also can excel at track at the same time. If you can excel at Football,Baseball and Track I would say you are a real athlete.

pancho villa
01-26-2010, 11:41 AM
You boys need to be watering some dirt, and not wasteing folks time talking about standaround.

Rule #76
01-26-2010, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by GiddingsFan

Your what we like to call a "Ritard" Rain Man!!!

pancho villa
01-26-2010, 11:46 AM
You are dead wrong, my son loves and plays both sports. I hope for the kids sake that you are just an armchair coach not a real coach. Many good athlete's excel at both Football and Baseball, also can excel at track at the same time. If you can excel at Football,Baseball and Track I would say you are a real athlete.

Whatever Dude, no real coach cares about standaround, football is is the only game in Texas. Go to another site to talk dirt watering.

GreenMonster
01-26-2010, 11:46 AM
You are a typical parent of a non-athlete who playes standaround. Football is King and everything else is off-season. Track is for the football athletes and baseball is for the NA'S In Pancho's defense, football is indeed king. My baseball team will be in the weight room with the rest of the football team in the period, then on the track as most of my baseballers run on the track team as well, then after all of the other workouts finish we get started at around 4:30 with baseball practice.

pancho villa
01-26-2010, 11:48 AM
In Pancho's defense, football is indeed king. My baseball team will be in the weight room with the rest of the football team in the period, then on the track as most of my baseballers run on the track team as well, then after all of the other workouts finish we get started at around 4:30 with baseball practice.

G M has his priorties right! U Da Man!

hookandladder
01-26-2010, 12:02 PM
Whatever Dude, no real coach cares about standaround, football is is the only game in Texas. Go to another site to talk dirt watering.

Some very successful football coaches were very successful Baseball coaches first, if you do not like the baseball talk on this board I would sugest the old coach site. You would fit right in.

pancho villa
01-26-2010, 12:12 PM
Some very successful football coaches were very successful Baseball coaches first, if you do not like the baseball talk on this board I would sugest the old coach site. You would fit right in.

I am "El Rey" on this here board. You standaround mullet!

XMan
01-26-2010, 12:35 PM
The days of being unfair need to be over. Football is great, in Texas its #1, there is no debating that. However, when football is over, why not be fair and let the kids go work on other things? Its all about being selfish and insecure. Dont use the excuse of "not enough coaches" or "not enough athletes". The schools that arent good at baseball use the excuse of "lack of interest". Hell, these are the schools that need offseason baseball the most.

GreenMonster
01-26-2010, 01:00 PM
G M has his priorties right! U Da Man! Pancho, it takes athletes to win no matter what you coach, and I just happen to believe that athletes are built in the weight room and on the track.

XMan
01-26-2010, 01:15 PM
GreenMonster, If you are a baseball coach and you are taking your team to the weight room/track, more power to you. It is your choice how to make your team better. Its having others tell you that its not important for your team to ever get better is the problem.

GreenMonster
01-26-2010, 01:28 PM
The days of being unfair need to be over. Football is great, in Texas its #1, there is no debating that. However, when football is over, why not be fair and let the kids go work on other things? Its all about being selfish and insecure. Dont use the excuse of "not enough coaches" or "not enough athletes". The schools that arent good at baseball use the excuse of "lack of interest". Hell, these are the schools that need offseason baseball the most. See, I think it is people like yourself that are the one's with the selfish attitudes. If lifting weights and running track is what improves your team's overall athletic ability then I believe this is where the athletes should be. Not the football athletes, but ALL of the athletes. The stronger and better conditioned athlete is less likely to suffer injuries and is more likely to get playing time over the weaker, less conditioned athlete. If all of this is indeed fact, which people in the know would agree that it is indeed fact, then why try to remove the baseball player from the offseason program? Do I think that there is a place for year-round baseball, absolutely. There is no replacement for taking swings at live pitching, but the professional baseball players are working their tail off in the weight room right now in their "offseason." Are they taking swings and fielding balls as well? Yes they are, but they are doing that on top of the weight training. Most of them actually are on a year round training program that they follow daily to keep them strong and healthy. Nolan Ryan was one of the biggest supporters of staying physically fit both in and off season. Roger Clemens was another big supporter of putting in the work to not only get to the top but to stay there. The steroid era of baseball should scream that these guys value strength and stamina. Granted they were taking short cuts by taking the steroids, but steroids alone do not make you strong. You have to do the work to receive the benefits. As I sit here thinking about this whole thread I can't help but wonder why this thing started in the first place. It is and has been my opinion for some time that the baseball world has already accepted that the weight room and track are the way to build better athletes. It's the basketball guys that are lagging behind because somehow, somewhere they were convinced that the weight room messes up your shot, but I guess that is a discussion for another day in another thread. I'm all for a name change for "offseason" to simply become "athletics" to remove the stigma that the weight room is only for the football kids that are no longer "in season." I'm also for year-round weight room for ALL sports. We already lift our kids at least 3 days a week. I wish we could boost that up to 5 or even 6 days a week and just tailor the workout to fit around each individual athlete's needs and schedule. Unfortunately we do not have the time, money, or man power to do this at this time, but I will continue to strive for excellence from all of my athletes and I will continue to steer them through the weight room, then out on to the track, and only after they have worked to be more athletic will I allow them on to my baseball field.

themsu97
01-26-2010, 01:31 PM
exactly...

hookandladder
01-26-2010, 01:50 PM
See, I think it is people like yourself that are the one's with the selfish attitudes. If lifting weights and running track is what improves your team's overall athletic ability then I believe this is where the athletes should be. Not the football athletes, but ALL of the athletes. The stronger and better conditioned athlete is less likely to suffer injuries and is more likely to get playing time over the weaker, less conditioned athlete. If all of this is indeed fact, which people in the know would agree that it is indeed fact, then why try to remove the baseball player from the offseason program? Do I think that there is a place for year-round baseball, absolutely. There is no replacement for taking swings at live pitching, but the professional baseball players are working their tail off in the weight room right now in their "offseason." Are they taking swings and fielding balls as well? Yes they are, but they are doing that on top of the weight training. Most of them actually are on a year round training program that they follow daily to keep them strong and healthy. Nolan Ryan was one of the biggest supporters of staying physically fit both in and off season. Roger Clemens was another big supporter of putting in the work to not only get to the top but to stay there. The steroid era of baseball should scream that these guys value strength and stamina. Granted they were taking short cuts by taking the steroids, but steroids alone do not make you strong. You have to do the work to receive the benefits. As I sit here thinking about this whole thread I can't help but wonder why this thing started in the first place. It is and has been my opinion for some time that the baseball world has already accepted that the weight room and track are the way to build better athletes. It's the basketball guys that are lagging behind because somehow, somewhere they were convinced that the weight room messes up your shot, but I guess that is a discussion for another day in another thread. I'm all for a name change for "offseason" to simply become "athletics" to remove the stigma that the weight room is only for the football kids that are no longer "in season." I'm also for year-round weight room for ALL sports. We already lift our kids at least 3 days a week. I wish we could boost that up to 5 or even 6 days a week and just tailor the workout to fit around each individual athlete's needs and schedule. Unfortunately we do not have the time, money, or man power to do this at this time, but I will continue to strive for excellence from all of my athletes and I will continue to steer them through the weight room, then out on to the track, and only after they have worked to be more athletic will I allow them on to my baseball field.

I am all for the weight lifting and track however I am not for a baseball player having to miss any baseball practice time for track and or lifting weights , the key word baseball player first. What would the Head Football coach say to some of his players that would be late for every practice because of a committment to another sport. It would not happen, so why should baseball be any different. Yes, there are some athlete's that juggle both sports in the spring, have no problem if it does not conflict with the success of baseball. Track is more of an individual sport, unless you are on the relay's which in my mine is the most difficult to do and play baseball because of all the running that is required.

XMan
01-26-2010, 02:08 PM
Monster, i think you are missing my point. Sure, its great to be strong and fast and all that. But, if you cant catch a grounder or a pop up, you cant throw over 75, and you cant hit, you cant be a good player. These baseball guys that dont throw, hit or field ANY from the beginning of May until the end of Jan. will NEVER be any good no matter how strong or fast they are. There needs to be a balance. The most important thing is that the baseball coach/ baseball players should have a voice as to how this balance is achieved. Maxing out on arm exercises, pulling tires and running quarters before your baseball practice can not be a good thing. And lets not even get started on anything that Roger Clemens would endorse.

pancho villa
01-26-2010, 02:36 PM
Monster, i think you are missing my point. Sure, its great to be strong and fast and all that. But, if you cant catch a grounder or a pop up, you cant throw over 75, and you cant hit, you cant be a good player. These baseball guys that dont throw, hit or field ANY from the beginning of May until the end of Jan. will NEVER be any good no matter how strong or fast they are. There needs to be a balance. The most important thing is that the baseball coach/ baseball players should have a voice as to how this balance is achieved. Maxing out on arm exercises, pulling tires and running quarters before your baseball practice can not be a good thing. And lets not even get started on anything that Roger Clemens would endorse.

I bet this is coming from the NA at his school!

hookandladder
01-26-2010, 02:53 PM
I bet this is coming from the NA at his school!

pancho villa, what position did you play in football, assuming you played.

Daddy D 11
01-26-2010, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by themsu97

That's why you pick programs that aren't run by idiots and if they are you join another one as soon as you can. It's the damn parents fault or the kids fault if the kids arm goes out. Not the coach. I played select for 7 years and played ball in college and I can tell you I never once had a coach MAKE me throw when I couldn't. And I played for a crap ton of different coaches. Baseball is a sport where if you've got it, you've got it. I don't care what anyone says. Some kids are going to always be better than others no matter how many reps the others take.

Alot of this offseason debates stems from what the Giddings mom was saying. If you have an influx in baseball talent that looks like it's going to stay for awhile then in most cases across texas thats where the AD makes room for a baseball class. I know that is what happened in LH starting my freshman year. Since then LH has won 4 district titles in 6 years and shared another. Maybe it was because of the class? Or maybe we would have done it anyways?

Super_R
01-26-2010, 03:18 PM
haveing a baseball class surely doesn't hurt. Fooball and basketball have classes...why shouldn't baseball. Some programs get thier players as soon as the other season is over.

baseballcoach13
01-26-2010, 03:28 PM
Pancho played assback.

pancho villa
01-26-2010, 04:56 PM
pancho villa, what position did you play in football, assuming you played.

Don't talk to me about that NA!

LH Panther Mom
01-26-2010, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
If I remember right (and I'm old so I might be wrong :p ) I used to see you guys out running early mornings just after Christmas break. Or at least you were jogging in place. :D ;)

I'm not convinced "bigger faster stronger" ever hindered an athlete in their performance, regardless of the sport. :thinking:

hookandladder
01-27-2010, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
If I remember right (and I'm old so I might be wrong :p ) I used to see you guys out running early mornings just after Christmas break. Or at least you were jogging in place. :D ;)

I'm not convinced "bigger faster stronger" ever hindered an athlete in their performance, regardless of the sport. :thinking:

To big can ruin a pitcher.

hookandladder
01-27-2010, 07:03 AM
Don't talk to me about that NA!

So you did not play football and got cut from the baseball team, now it makes sense.

allforball
01-27-2010, 07:33 AM
See, I think it is people like yourself that are the one's with the selfish attitudes. If lifting weights and running track is what improves your team's overall athletic ability then I believe this is where the athletes should be. Not the football athletes, but ALL of the athletes. The stronger and better conditioned athlete is less likely to suffer injuries and is more likely to get playing time over the weaker, less conditioned athlete. If all of this is indeed fact, which people in the know would agree that it is indeed fact, then why try to remove the baseball player from the offseason program? Do I think that there is a place for year-round baseball, absolutely. There is no replacement for taking swings at live pitching, but the professional baseball players are working their tail off in the weight room right now in their "offseason." Are they taking swings and fielding balls as well? Yes they are, but they are doing that on top of the weight training. Most of them actually are on a year round training program that they follow daily to keep them strong and healthy. Nolan Ryan was one of the biggest supporters of staying physically fit both in and off season. Roger Clemens was another big supporter of putting in the work to not only get to the top but to stay there. The steroid era of baseball should scream that these guys value strength and stamina. Granted they were taking short cuts by taking the steroids, but steroids alone do not make you strong. You have to do the work to receive the benefits. As I sit here thinking about this whole thread I can't help but wonder why this thing started in the first place. It is and has been my opinion for some time that the baseball world has already accepted that the weight room and track are the way to build better athletes. It's the basketball guys that are lagging behind because somehow, somewhere they were convinced that the weight room messes up your shot, but I guess that is a discussion for another day in another thread. I'm all for a name change for "offseason" to simply become "athletics" to remove the stigma that the weight room is only for the football kids that are no longer "in season." I'm also for year-round weight room for ALL sports. We already lift our kids at least 3 days a week. I wish we could boost that up to 5 or even 6 days a week and just tailor the workout to fit around each individual athlete's needs and schedule. Unfortunately we do not have the time, money, or man power to do this at this time, but I will continue to strive for excellence from all of my athletes and I will continue to steer them through the weight room, then out on to the track, and only after they have worked to be more athletic will I allow them on to my baseball field.

University Interscholastic League:

(2) Off-Season Participation. Varsity or non-varsity athletes shall not be required to participate in an off-season program
on the day of an in-season competition.

pancho villa
01-27-2010, 08:28 AM
So you did not play football and got cut from the baseball team, now it makes sense.

hookand L is on here trying to defend standaround, you only have to do that because it is an inferior sport played with a bunch of NA'S. Go help the standaround sponser water some dirt you NA!

Mojado
01-27-2010, 10:28 AM
To big can ruin a pitcher.

I'll keep this short... You're wrong...Every see R. Clemens or A. Petite(just to name a few)... I wonder why they used HGH, Steroids???? So they wouldn't get too big????

Come on dude...

cookiemonster
01-27-2010, 10:34 AM
I love baseball but baseball people always think more is better. We have a kid playing for us right now who is baseball only and playes year round plus is in our baseball athletic period. He just got diagnosed with a bone spur on his elbow that is comparable to a mid career major league pitcher. I discussed his plans for college with him and he says he is burned out and doesn't want to continue to play baseball in college even though he is very capable. I believe we need to get back to the days that each kid plays every sport so that they can get the proper time to heal from the last because each has its own issues regarding wear and tear on the body. I think the athletic period should be used as much as possible to make student athletes better athletes regardless to which sports they play. I also think we have been fooled by all of these select coaches into letting them talk our kids into choosing one sport and playing that sport year round not because they truely think its in the kids best interest but so that they can get paid year round. A true coach wants to see the kids enjoy their childhood and experience the benefits of each sport.

GreenMonster
01-27-2010, 10:51 AM
To big can ruin a pitcher. Uh Oh! We have someone that has bought in to the muscle bound theory! :blush:
Just try to remember that in this discussion we are talking about building ATHLETES not body builders.

GreenMonster
01-27-2010, 10:54 AM
hookand L is on here trying to defend standaround, you only have to do that because it is an inferior sport played with a bunch of NA'S. Go help the standaround sponser water some dirt you NA! Now now, Pancho, play nice. I am a standaround sponsor and I came to your defense. It is not an inferior sport. Try thinking of the base paths as 180 yards of track without lanes, you even still get to turn left!

pancho villa
01-27-2010, 10:57 AM
Uh Oh! We have someone that has bought in to the muscle bound theory! :blush:
Just try to remember that in this discussion we are talking about building ATHLETES not body builders.

Even I think standaround boys need to lift weights. Only the totaly uninformed would not want their players not lifting.(and in standarounds case their NA'S)

jockcity33
01-27-2010, 11:42 AM
Now now, Pancho, play nice. I am a standaround sponsor and I came to your defense. It is not an inferior sport. Try thinking of the base paths as 180 yards of track without lanes, you even still get to turn left!

I think your field is not correct, if it is 180 yards around your base path. Mine is only 120 yards. Which is not right mine or yours?

GreenMonster
01-27-2010, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by jockcity33
I think your field is not correct, if it is 180 yards around your base path. Mine is only 120 yards. Which is not right mine or yours? Hey, leave me alone! I'm a coach by trade not a rocket scientist. I'm not very good a calculus.

pancho villa
01-27-2010, 12:00 PM
Hey, leave me alone! I'm a coach by trade not a rocket scientist. I'm not very good a calculus.

Do I need to teach your boys to turn left at 1st?

GreenMonster
01-27-2010, 12:50 PM
Do I need to teach your boys to turn left at 1st?

Only if you promise to teach them how to get to first base to begin with.

XMan
01-27-2010, 01:16 PM
Yall have gotten so far off topic on this its incredible. My original point was that it would be great that when football season is complete, those that play baseball could start working on that during the athletic period. Those guys would be lead in their workout by a baseball coach. However he felt would be best to prepare his team would be up to him. Personally, I feel lifting/increasing athleticism is essential for baseball performance. I just dont think it should be the ONLY preparation for baseball. It would be great to lift/ply type activities 2 or 3 days a week and do baseball skills the other days. I also stated that its not very fair to baseball athletes to have to go through an offseason football workout before going to baseball inseason practice. If anything, have them do the weight workout after the baseball practice. Good luck to all.

GreenMonster
01-27-2010, 01:48 PM
Yall have gotten so far off topic on this its incredible. My original point was that it would be great that when football season is complete, those that play baseball could start working on that during the athletic period. Those guys would be lead in their workout by a baseball coach. However he felt would be best to prepare his team would be up to him. Personally, I feel lifting/increasing athleticism is essential for baseball performance. I just dont think it should be the ONLY preparation for baseball. It would be great to lift/ply type activities 2 or 3 days a week and do baseball skills the other days. I also stated that its not very fair to baseball athletes to have to go through an offseason football workout before going to baseball inseason practice. If anything, have them do the weight workout after the baseball practice. Good luck to all. I see what you are saying. 4A, 5A, and even some 3A do have this. I disagree that the lifting should be after. If you move the lifting to after then it takes a lot of the peer pressure off of those kids to work hard. It becomes a more relaxed setting. We work our football kids just as hard in season as we do off season. That's just how we do it. But in contrast we work out our basketball kids after practice (this is due to limited gym space and scheduling conflicts with the girls etc) and their workout is extremely unsatisfying for me as a coach. They do the same lifts and percentages, but the mentality is different, no where near as intense and there is a lot more cutting up and carrying on. Their progress also is nowhere near the progress of the rest of the kids. There is plenty of time to get all of your work in baseballwise if the coach has a focused plan of attack and manages his time wisely. After 2 hours or so you lose the kids attention for the most part anyways so why waste your time spinning your wheels. The only real benefit that I can see to having a baseball offseason class is that your pitchers work in a more structured environment and are better prepared to start the season, but if you can somehow manage to get them out playing flat ground catch and long toss 2-3 times a week year round they can still get ready without offseason. I don't understand how the whole offseason thing works anyways. UIL says no practice until Jan 29th, how does baseball offseason circumvent this rule?

hookandladder
01-27-2010, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Mojado
I'll keep this short... You're wrong...Every see R. Clemens or A. Petite(just to name a few)... I wonder why they used HGH, Steroids???? So they wouldn't get too big????

Come on dude...

Let me try again, big was not the right word. I am talking about someone who has lifted so much weights that he is just to tight, no flexablilty. Not good for pitching.

hookandladder
01-27-2010, 02:20 PM
hookand L is on here trying to defend standaround, you only have to do that because it is an inferior sport played with a bunch of NA'S. Go help the standaround sponser water some dirt you NA!

That's is funny, our last 2 state championship baseball teams in LG was half football players and half baseball players. If you were a real athlete you could have been on both, not trying to defend either one just stating that real athlete's can play both which most likely was not you.

pancho villa
01-27-2010, 02:37 PM
That's is funny, our last 2 state championship baseball teams in LG was half football players and half baseball players. If you were a real athlete you could have been on both, not trying to defend either one just stating that real athlete's can play both which most likely was not you.
LOL standaround!

hookandladder
01-27-2010, 02:48 PM
LOL standaround!

So the football players that won a State Championship and also play on the baseball team are now standaround players.

LE Dad
01-27-2010, 05:03 PM
Hey, leave me alone! I'm a coach by trade What did they get for ya??lol