PDA

View Full Version : I really hate NFL Overtime

Txbroadcaster
01-24-2010, 10:19 PM
IMO it is the worse..I want to see both teams at least get one possesion.

sinton66
01-24-2010, 10:25 PM
When did it change? It used to be sudden death in the regular season and then both get a shot in the playoffs.

Txbroadcaster
01-24-2010, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
When did it change? It used to be sudden death in the regular season and then both get a shot in the playoffs.

no it has always been sudden death

LE Dad
01-24-2010, 10:35 PM
I hear people complain about HS and college format, but I think giving both teams an equal shot is alot better than NFL format.

Old Tiger
01-24-2010, 10:35 PM
i love nfl over time. i think it works great.

its the nfl you get paid to stop the opposing team if you can't stop the you shouldn't win.

Txbroadcaster
01-24-2010, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger

its the nfl you get paid to stop the opposing team if you can't stop the you shouldn't win.

lol..so basically if your not forced to stop the other team in overtime then you should be able to win?

Sorry but that logic makes no sense..sounds like you wanting Brett to lose is happy it happen no matter how it did

STANG RED
01-24-2010, 11:00 PM
I agree the NFL overtime sudden death rule is stupid. All you have to do is get lucky in a coin flip, then get close enough for a field goal.
I saw a stat one time that showed the team that wins the coin flip, wins the game most of the time. I cant remember the stat, but it seems like its 70% or more. So how is that fair?

Txbroadcaster
01-24-2010, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I agree the NFL overtime sudden death rule is stupid. All you have to do is get lucky in a coin flip, then get close enough for a field goal.
I saw a stat one time that showed the team that wins the coin flip, wins the game most of the time. I cant remember the stat, but it seems like its 70% or more. So how is that fair?

actually it has been for awhile now around 50%..i just think such an amazing game today was decided in the end by the flip and then the PI call and the Vikes did not hve a chance to answer

Old Tiger
01-24-2010, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
actually it has been for awhile now around 50%..i just think such an amazing game today was decided in the end by the flip and then the PI call and the Vikes did not hve a chance to answer They had their chance with under 2 minutes left in regulation and Brett threw an INT across the field late.

Txbroadcaster
01-24-2010, 11:11 PM
They had their chance with under 2 minutes left in regulation and Brett threw an INT across the field late.

yes I know..but that did not decide the game..we dont know if the kick was going to be made or not...so it was square at the beginning of OT.

I have never liked OT rules in the NFL and this only confirms it for me that it is a bad system

LH Panther Mom
01-24-2010, 11:16 PM
They had their chance with under 2 minutes left in regulation and Brett threw an INT across the field late.
Heck, they had their chances the entire game!

lvbears32
01-24-2010, 11:21 PM

+1

Txbroadcaster
01-24-2010, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by lvbears32
+1

again..the team that takes the KO and scores was not asked in OT to stop the other team so why do they get the chance to score and not the other

lvbears32
01-24-2010, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
again..the team that takes the KO and scores was not asked in OT to stop the other team so why do they get the chance to score and not the other

the saints did their job (scoring) better than the vikings did theirs (stopping NO)

Maroon87
01-24-2010, 11:29 PM
The OT rules have been the same since 1958...it's not like this is a new thing.

Txbroadcaster
01-24-2010, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
The OT rules have been the same since 1958...it's not like this is a new thing.

yep..I just never understood simply making it both teams get one possesion to begin OT..who ever is ahead after those is the winner, if still tied then it you can go to sudden death

bobcat4life
01-24-2010, 11:36 PM
dont you hate how 78% of teams that win the coin toss win the game?

Green Bling
01-24-2010, 11:48 PM
Even Brees said the same thing..

NateDawg39
01-24-2010, 11:51 PM
Wasn't it Brett Favre that threw an int at the start of OT a few years back?

bobcat4life
01-24-2010, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
Wasn't it Brett Favre that threw an int at the start of OT a few years back? he threw one against the Giants in 2007. and there is always the Matt Hasselback guarentee where he said "we want the ball, were gonna score." He threw a pick 6 to Al Harris the first play of overtime....

lvbears32
01-24-2010, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
Wasn't it Brett Favre that threw an int at the start of OT a few years back?

i think i remember taht corner from tamuk pickin off hasselback and takin it to the house to start ot a few years back

DU_stud04
01-25-2010, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by bobcat4life
there is always the Matt Hasselback guarentee where he said "we want the ball, were gonna score." He threw a pick 6 to Al Harris the first play of overtime.... that makes me laugh every time i think back to this. man....hahaha

bobcat4life
01-25-2010, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
that makes me laugh every time i think back to this. man....hahaha I think I remember that better than any overtime game ever....including todays game
it was classic

Emerson1
01-25-2010, 12:16 AM

A good team should be able to kickoff and hold a team inside the 25 (vikings let them return to the 39). Instead the vikings gave up a return to the 40, then let them gain 39 more yards.

BullsFan
01-25-2010, 12:46 AM

This EXACT sentiment is all I heard last week from Vikings/Favre fans when it came to that late touchdown against Dallas. Shoe is on the other foot this week, yet now they wanna talk about what's fair. I am tres amused. It's KARMA.

Maroon87
01-25-2010, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by bobcat4life
Al Harris

Javelina!!!:clap:

TexMike
01-25-2010, 05:51 AM
http://www.advancednflstats.com/2008/10/how-important-is-coin-flip-in-ot.html

Clearly an advantage to win the toss. In NCAA rules, the winner generally elects to play defense first. I wonder what the stats are there with regard to who eventually wins.

kaorder1999
01-25-2010, 09:18 AM
Mike and Mike in the Morning on ESPN Radio said this morning that this was the 4th NFC Title game ever to go to Overtime and this was the FIRST time the team that won the toss won the game.

Buckeye1980
01-25-2010, 09:29 AM
The home team wins 51% of all overtime games , maybe if they are tied after regulation, they should meet the next day at a nuetral site and play another complete game , one quarter at a time until you have a winner .........

SERIOUSLY ---it is fine the way it is...ACCEPT IT!

ziggy29
01-25-2010, 09:30 AM
IIRC, the long-term rate of coin toss winners going on to win in OT was something like 53%.

However it should be also noted that since the kickoff moved back to the 30 yard line in the '90s, the winning percentage of coin toss winners in OT is closer to 60%. The improved field position for the receiving team skews it significantly their way. The chances for the team winning the coin toss to win (especially on the opening possession) are dependent (obviously) on their starting field position.

It has been noted in some articles I've read that if the opening possession in OT starts at the 15 yard line, there's very nearly a 50/50 expected outcome. So maybe a coin toss winner could choose offense or defense with the ball starting on the 15?

Emerson1
01-25-2010, 10:52 AM
If it's SO easy to just get a field goal then why don't teams score on every possession? Punting should never happen according to some of the people in this thread

NateDawg39
01-25-2010, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
If it's SO easy to just get a field goal then why don't teams score on every possession? Punting should never happen according to some of the people in this thread I am a big fan of Field Goals. It makes things more fun.