PDA

View Full Version : Princeton ISD Parents Angered Over "Recruiting"

TexMike
01-23-2010, 12:49 PM
The parents seem more angry that their kids are not getting to play than the fact that UIL rules might be getting broke.

http://www.princetonherald.com/articles/....d=1275&zoneid=4

Athlete recruitement topic of trustee debateDate: Thursday, January 21, 2010
news@princetonherald.com
By Jennifer Fike
Staff Writer

Recruiting high school students to move to a district to play sports is against University Interscholastic League rules, but some Princeton High School parents say that’s exactly what is happening in the district.

During the public input segment of the Jan. 18 Princeton ISD trustees meeting, parent Joe Kohrs took the opportunity to express his concern with what he called “recruiting for athletic purposes.”

During Christmas break, Kohrs alleges that four freshmen from Frisco were approached by a PISD parent to participate in Princeton’s athletic program. Those athletes have since transferred to the district, and are playing on the junior varsity basketball team, Kohrs said.

“My concern is that we’re setting the wrong example for our kids,” he said.

Though trustees are not allowed to respond directly to public comments, they did address the subject when they reached an agenda item about “Inter-District Transfers and UIL Eligibility.” Board members were advised several times to keep the discussion focused on the policy at hand, rather than as an opportunity to delve into specific circumstances or transfer students.

On Tuesday, Jan. 19, Superintendent Phil Anthony said the administrators investigated the parents’ allegations of athletic recruiting by speaking to staff, parents, students and UIL representatives.

“After investigating we don’t see any place where a member of faculty or staff has violated any UIL rules,” he said.
Ultimately, the District’s Executive Committee, which consists of faculty and administration members from each of the schools in Princeton’s UIL district (District 13-3A), determines whether a transfer student is eligible for varsity athletics. If a transfer student’s former school indicates he or she participated in athletics, the committee may suspend the student from varsity sports for no more or less than one calendar year.

During the board meeting, trustee Clinton Lowrance said he had received a lot of complaints from parents who believed students were transferring to the district solely to play sports.

“I have a problem with these transfer students displacing students that live in the district,” Lowrance said.

He said his primary concern was for the local taxpayers, residents who approved the bond package used to build PISD’s top-notch athletic facilities. “It slaps the taxpayer in the face if their kid is replaced by a non-district kid,” he said.

Lowrance asked trustees to consider adopting a two-year probation period for varsity athletes who transfer to the district. He clarified that children of district employees who choose to transfer into Princeton, would be exempt from the probationary period.

Board President Carol Bodwell asked Lowrance why the district’s policy would not cover all extra-curricular activities, instead of solely varsity sports. Why wouldn’t band and UIL participants who transfer be under probation as well? she asked.

Lowrance said since UIL rules only address varsity athletes, and there are no “varsity” bands or other UIL programs, he felt the district’s policy only needed to address athletes.

Trustee Kyle Strickland said he would not agree to limit students who might choose to transfer to PISD.

“When I came to the board, we wanted to develop pride,” Strickland said.

Building outstanding facilities, choosing quality teachers and implementing programs that make students want to stay in PISD are some of the steps the board has taken to develop that pride, he said.

“Why would we consider restricting our district more than any other school?” he asked.

UIL rules mandate a one-year athletic suspension for students who transfer to another district with previous athletic experience.

“It’s somewhat insulting for us to tie our coaches’ hands,” Strickland said, insisting that a two-year probation policy would limit the district unnecessarily.

Strickland said he hopes anyone who visits PISD feels at home, and is impressed by the district’s facilities and programs. “I look around and say, ‘Why would you not want to be here?’” he said.

Superintendent Phil Anthony explained UIL rules and the district’s transfer history.

In the past, Anthony said, the district has always seen more transfers out of district than into PISD. This year, however, there have been 56 students transfer out, while 88 have transferred into Princeton.

While many of those students have athletic experience, it is impossible to know the reasons for the transfers, Anthony said.

When asked about the district’s funding, Anthony said about 60 percent of the district’s bond payments come from state equalization money. The other 40 percent is paid for locally. The state pays approximately 75 percent of the district’s operating budget, he said.

Three years ago Princeton changed its transfer policy, eliminating the fee for transfers. At that time athletic transfers were never addressed, Anthony said. The decision was based on the state’s funding policies which changed, and made it financially beneficial for the district to fill empty seats, he said.

Trustee Chuck Campbell asked Anthony if he believed PISD coaches were recruiting athletes. “We’re not buying cars for people, or paying rent, right?” Campbell asked.

Anthony said, “I do not believe coaches are out recruiting.”

Trustees discussed Lowrance’s motion for almost an hour before voting. Ultimately, the motion died for lack of a second.

VWG
01-23-2010, 01:01 PM
I know in Wall (just outside of San Angelo) you have to live or own property within the school district. You can't just live in San Angelo and have your kid go to Wall ISD.
I think it should be the same for other school districts.
If you live within the boundaries of that school district then you should be able to attend that district. If you live in another school district then you should attend that school.
If you choose not to attend the public school that you live within it's district then pay to go to private school.

bobcat4life
01-23-2010, 03:07 PM
I think this happens quite a bit. But I think this sounds like parents complaining about PT and looking for someone to blame, so they blamed people moving there and called it recruiting. If I am not mistakin, there was a new housing development built there, which will naturally bring in new people.

GreenMonster
01-23-2010, 06:25 PM
Actually, no rules are being broken here. Parents can recruit all they want, it's against the rules for coaches to recruit athletes. Unfortunately in this day and age of school financing most school districts openly recruit students for academic purposes. The major motivating factor in this is that schools get more money from the state based on their average daily attendance.

kepdawg
01-23-2010, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Actually, no rules are being broken here. Parents can recruit all they want, it's against the rules for coaches to recruit athletes. Unfortunately in this day and age of school financing most school districts openly recruit students for academic purposes. The major motivating factor in this is that schools get more money from the state based on their average daily attendance.

Does the UIL handbook's inclusion of local fans when concerning a district executive committee's duty to investigate efforts to recruit not include parents?

GreenMonster
01-23-2010, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Does the UIL handbook's inclusion of local fans when concerning a district executive committee's duty to investigate efforts to recruit not include parents? The students are simply treated as transfer students and can not play varsity sports for 1 calendar year from their date of enrollment. The district must prove that the move was for athletic purposes and that's extremely hard to prove unless there is hard evidence. (kicked off the team, school sanctions, etc) All it would take to get away with it is the parent to say "We moved him because we felt he was running with the wrong crowd." Without hard evidence there is no way to prove otherwise.

westcoast54
01-23-2010, 11:26 PM
Hey Green Monster, if these people want to see recruiting they should come to Wichita Falls. What do you think?

JohnnieLightnin
01-24-2010, 01:27 AM
Just so I understand; the kids from Frisco did not move to Princeton? I find it hard to believe that these kids are going to drive through the entire Frisco district, past Mckinney district and on another 10 miles every day to attend Princeton. Also, for athletic purposes; I doubt it. I'll bet they moved there to be closer to their parents jobs or some easy explanation.

Bull Butter
01-24-2010, 01:37 AM
It happens everywhere. There is a 3A school in South Texas that is notorious for their "transfers" in pretty much every sport:thinking:

kaorder1999
01-24-2010, 01:48 AM
UIL rules mandate a one-year athletic suspension for students who transfer to another district with previous athletic experience.

that is false

Twirling Time
01-24-2010, 09:58 AM
Celina had first crack at the transfers and rejected them. :)

GreenMonster
01-24-2010, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by westcoast54
Hey Green Monster, if these people want to see recruiting they should come to Wichita Falls. What do you think? Amen Brother. Were you at the PL meet at Rider yesterday?

cotulla
01-25-2010, 09:39 AM
I really wish the reporter would clarify that you have to sit out a year if it's found that you moved for athletic purposes. They keep saying you have to sit a year if you transfer, not true. 15 days if you're not transferring for athletic reasons.

kaorder1999
01-25-2010, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by cotulla

I really wish the reporter would clarify that you have to sit out a year if it's found that you moved for athletic purposes. They keep saying you have to sit a year if you transfer, not true. 15 days if you're not transferring for athletic reasons.

correct...