PDA

View Full Version : Best Hot Sauce

Bullaholic
01-22-2010, 10:53 AM
So whose hot sauce do you like the best? Salsa? Pico de Gallo? Restaurant chips & sauce?

I would eat Tabasco on ice cream and Rotel in anything. :D

3afan
01-22-2010, 10:54 AM
the Mrs' home made is my favorite :D

Bullaholic
01-22-2010, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
the Mrs' home made is my favorite :D

Will she let you tell what's in it? :D

jason
01-22-2010, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Will she let you tell what's in it? :D he thinks its something special, but she just pours pace into an unmarked jar.....

GreenMonster
01-22-2010, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by jason
he thinks its something special, but she just pours pace into an unmarked jar.....

I too am a big fan of my wife's brand. I don't think any of my friends or family think it's anything special though. I guess I can just taste the extra love that she puts in it for me. :inlove:

3afan
01-22-2010, 11:15 AM
Will she let you tell what's in it? :D

probably ... for me the key is extra onions + cilantro

Bullaholic
01-22-2010, 11:20 AM
I remember the first time I tried some of the red Chinese chili sauce at a Chinese buffet---man that stuff will light you up.

Green Bling
01-22-2010, 12:15 PM
My homemade is well received. I also make a crema verde that will get your attention. Take stems off fresh jalapenos, put peppers in skillet whole, seeds and all, add enough oil to come about 3/4 of the way up on peppers, cook until blistered and slightly browned. Place peppers and oil in blender in batches with salt to taste and blend to a pale green cream. This is pure fire, but absolutely delicious. Also do candied jalapenos that we love.

Emerson1
01-22-2010, 12:37 PM
Madres Cocina in Forney.

big daddy russ
01-22-2010, 01:38 PM
My mother-in-law's sauce.

It's basically a guacamole with sour cream, browned jalapenos (seeds and all), and a touch of milk.

Dang, it's good.

44INAROW
01-22-2010, 02:07 PM
my daughter in law makes a good sauce - she says it's really easy too. Store bought - Julio's HOT is really good :)

STANG RED
01-22-2010, 02:09 PM
Julio's is by far the best store bought salsa. It's made in San Angelo, so it's easy to find around here, but not so easy in other places. It's also never with the other salsas in stores. It has no perservatives in it, so it has to be kept refrigerated. It's usually with other dips that require refrigeration. If you find it, get the HOT. It's not really very hot at all, but has great flavor. The mild also has great flavor, but absolutely no heat at all.

Green Bling
01-22-2010, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
my daughter in law makes a good sauce - she says it's really easy too. Store bought - Julio's HOT is really good :)
Any chance our HEB has it,44?:D :D

44INAROW
01-22-2010, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Green Bling
Any chance our HEB has it,44?:D :D

YES Green Bling - we finally get it in Cuero's HEB - it's on the shelves above the sour cream and cottage cheese :) I really like it.. They have mild and hot.. ;)

44INAROW
01-22-2010, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Julio's is by far the best store bought salsa. It's made in San Angelo, so it's easy to find around here, but not so easy in other places. It's also never with the other salsas in stores. It has no perservatives in it, so it has to be kept refrigerated. It's usually with other dips that require refrigeration. If you find it, get the HOT. It's not really very hot at all, but has great flavor. The mild also has great flavor, but absolutely no heat at all.

lol I should have read your reply before I replied to Green Bling - almost word for word what I said - so I went back and edited. The mild has a great flavor so sometimes I mix the mild and hot together.. best of both worlds :p

STANG RED
01-22-2010, 02:38 PM
Sometime I use Julio's instead of rotel with velveeta, to make a great hot cheese dip. Its even better with a little ground meat thats been cooked with chopped jalapenos and onions.
One warning about Julio's. It will spoil if not used within a couple weeks or so. But it's so much better than the ones full of perservatives.

Bone Pile
01-22-2010, 02:47 PM
FYI Julios is made in Del Rio. They also make their own chips. Flavored ones are the best.

STANG RED
01-22-2010, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Bone Pile
FYI Julios is made in Del Rio. They also make their own chips. Flavored ones are the best.

FYI
http://www.julioschips.com/index.html
A few years ago, Julio T. Garcia was blessed with the idea of seasoning corn tortilla chips and salsa with his own mixes of spices. Word of his delicious products spread quickly and now Julio's products can be found on store shelves as far north as Odessa and Midland as far east as Sequin and San Antonio Area northeast to Abilene south to Carrizo Springs and west to Sanderson and quickly growing through out Texas.

Son Jose started his own business in 1993 in San Angelo, Texas. He has 8 distributors that pick up chips and take them to the areas around San Angelo as well as Midland, Odessa, & Abilene. Julio Jr. started his operation in 1995 and Julio's Chips can now be found in the Wal-mart stores and growing to be available in the rest of the stores in San Antonio. Miguel and Pete (also sons) take care of the Del Rio operation that includes Eagle Pass, Carrizo Springs, Hondo, and all towns in between.

44INAROW
01-22-2010, 03:13 PM
They also make a seasoning - I have a bottle but I haven't tried it yet. (brother from Seguin gave it to me, I dont' think the seasoning is available in Cuero but the seasoned chips and sauce are) Bet the seasoning would be good on hamburger meat to make tacos

Bullaholic
01-22-2010, 03:15 PM
Uncle Julio's in Ft. Worth has got excellent chips & salsa. Chili's is not too bad, either.

big daddy russ
01-22-2010, 03:32 PM
FYI
A few years ago, Julio T. Garcia was blessed with the idea of seasoning corn tortilla chips and salsa with his own mixes of spices. Word of his delicious products spread quickly and now Julio's products can be found on store shelves as far north as Odessa and Midland as far east as Sequin and San Antonio Area northeast to Abilene south to Carrizo Springs and west to Sanderson and quickly growing through out Texas.

Son Jose started his own business in 1993 in San Angelo, Texas. He has 8 distributors that pick up chips and take them to the areas around San Angelo as well as Midland, Odessa, & Abilene. Julio Jr. started his operation in 1995 and Julio's Chips can now be found in the Wal-mart stores and growing to be available in the rest of the stores in San Antonio. Miguel and Pete (also sons) take care of the Del Rio operation that includes Eagle Pass, Carrizo Springs, Hondo, and all towns in between.
He actually used to sell them on the streets in Del Rio and Acuna before they opened the restaurant. Still has a restaurant there on 90 on the way out of town.

Would have them in a bucket and hand them to you in a huge, makeshift bag.

STANG RED
01-22-2010, 04:00 PM
They also make a seasoning - I have a bottle but I haven't tried it yet. (brother from Seguin gave it to me, I dont' think the seasoning is available in Cuero but the seasoned chips and sauce are) Bet the seasoning would be good on hamburger meat to make tacos

Julio's seasoning is great on lots of things. I've kept a shaker of it by the stove for several years now. It's great on chicken and hamburgers. Also gives scrambled eggs a nice kick. I also use it when I make my own salsa. Also a great seasoning in homemade chili. I think I've tried it on just about everything by now.

Bone Pile
01-22-2010, 04:10 PM
FYI

Sorry bout that Stang. But there is a Julios in Del Rio on the east side that they say they make their own sauce and chips. IDK My bad. Surely did not mean to contradict ya.

STANG RED
01-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Bone Pile
Sorry bout that Stang. But there is a Julios in Del Rio on the east side that they say they make their own sauce and chips. IDK My bad. Surely did not mean to contradict ya.

Not a problem BP. You werent wrong at all. Just not fully informed. I'm just glad I've been able to enjoy Julio's almost since the first day they went to market. I had to buy it in San Angelo for the first year or so they were in business. Just glad we've had it here now since then. We've only had the chips here for a couple years now. They make great nachos.

TheDOCTORdre
01-22-2010, 05:09 PM
I make my own whenever I get a chance, its my momma's recipe with a little bit of "doctoring":D

Trashman
01-22-2010, 07:14 PM
The wife's sauce is the best I have ever tasted. The best restaurant sauce is at Gomez Restaurant in Brownwood.:D

Go Cuero
01-22-2010, 07:51 PM
I'll have to try Julio's. Looking for a new hot sauce.

bobcat4life
01-22-2010, 08:01 PM
On the Border and El Chico are great

sinton66
01-23-2010, 09:38 AM
I remember the first time I tried some of the red Chinese chili sauce at a Chinese buffet---man that stuff will light you up.

I've got one that will not only light you up, it'll take away your breath. It's called "Death By Stupidity". (seriously, not a joke). Half again hotter than "Dave's Insanity".

LH Panther Mom
01-23-2010, 09:45 AM
I bought some of it during football season on the way to San Antonio. :2thumbsup

Julio's HOT is my favorite.