PDA

View Full Version : Harold's BBQ in Abilene

NateDawg39
01-21-2010, 09:45 PM
Did it close down like the rumors said?

I have not been to Abilene since 08, my last year at ACU.

Gobbla2001
01-21-2010, 09:51 PM
I wouldn't know... never been to Abilene... almost have though... last year while visiting my bro in Weatherford he told me I had to get on the interstate and go down a few miles before finding a place that sold beer... was 20 minutes into a trip to Abilene before I finally called him to ask "east or west?"...

NateDawg39
01-21-2010, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I wouldn't know... never been to Abilene... almost have though... last year while visiting my bro in Weatherford he told me I had to get on the interstate and go down a few miles before finding a place that sold beer... was 20 minutes into a trip to Abilene before I finally called him to ask "east or west?"... :doh: lol so which way were you supposed to go?

Gobbla2001
01-21-2010, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
:doh: lol so which way were you supposed to go?

East toward Ft-Dubya... I turned around and got us an 18...... or two...

hear it's wet up there in W'ford now...

NateDawg39
01-21-2010, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
East toward Ft-Dubya... I turned around and got us an 18...... or two...

hear it's wet up there in W'ford now... Oh yea and in Decatur. Sells are always high in Wise County

squid
01-22-2010, 09:21 AM
Harolds only closed for a couple of months after a fire. They are now open and as good as ever. The rumor also circulated that Harold was wanting to either sell the business off or let some family take over so he and his wife Drucilla could retire.

Next time you're in there, coax him to come out from behind the counter and sing. He is also the music minister for his church and has a great set of pipes.....there is something soul stirring about a double meat platter, collard greens, tater salad, hot water jalapeno cornbread, Drucilla's blackberry cobbler and 'How Great Thou Art'.......

ccmom
01-22-2010, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by squid
Harolds only closed for a couple of months after a fire. They are now open and as good as ever. The rumor also circulated that Harold was wanting to either sell the business off or let some family take over so he and his wife Drucilla could retire.

Next time you're in there, coax him to come out from behind the counter and sing. He is also the music minister for his church and has a great set of pipes.....there is something soul stirring about a double meat platter, collard greens, tater salad, hot water jalapeno cornbread, Drucilla's blackberry cobbler and 'How Great Thou Art'.......

Amen, Brother Squid! :)

Go Cuero
01-22-2010, 08:20 PM
Loved eating at Harold's when I went to ACU. Didn't know about the fire.

STANG RED
01-22-2010, 08:48 PM

Does he still have the "Damn Hot" sauce? LOL, I always got a kick out of that. Very good BBQ indeed. :D

squid
01-23-2010, 07:30 AM
yep, the Damn Hot is still there. I think its as much a part of Harold's as anything else he does. Does anyone remember when Harold did beef jerky? He only did it for a short time. Good stuff....

Several years ago someone kicked in the backdoor and went through the place. I got sent over to do the report and spent about an hour processing the scene. I have never seen a cleaner kitchen in my life. Every pot, pan, utensil....the floors, walls and counters looked like they had just been installed and never used.

BwdLion73
01-23-2010, 12:41 PM
I met Harold about 30 years ago at a Bachelor Party. His dad still ran the place and he helped out. During the party when the mandatory Stag films came out Harold would stand in front of the screen and say the movies were brought to you by "Harolds Bar-BQ"and do a short commercial about the Restrauant.:D :D :D

NateDawg39
01-23-2010, 12:46 PM
Dang, just thinking about that cornbread and cobbler is making me miss Abilene. I think I will take a road trip out there and visit ACU and Harold's .

squid
01-23-2010, 12:59 PM
Harold's extended their hours last year. I think he's open 11 a.m. till 7 or 8 at night now....

ACU has made some big improvements. The Hunter Welcome Center, the trail that encircles the campus, the Bean is now 5 or 6 restaurants in one. (Kinda like a Golden Corral but much better). The building east of Moody Coliseum is about to come down. They are going to build a fitness research center, I saw the drawings the other day and its going to be pretty neat.

Go Cuero
01-27-2010, 12:53 AM
Loved the Bean. I will have to say I thought ACU had an awesome food area. What was the downstairs place called-it was like a 50's diner with the real soda pop? Good times.

Twirling Time
01-27-2010, 06:22 AM
Speaking of dry counties, I saw on a map that Stephenville was dry, yet last year I remember getting a 12-pack there. Had a couple at Montana's another time. Did they just go wet recently?

hookandladder
01-27-2010, 07:43 AM

Now that sounds like a real BBQ place, with real homemade sides. People that think the Bill Miller's and Poke Jo's are good BBQ do not know good food, mostly City Slicker's.

jason
01-27-2010, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Twirling Time
Speaking of dry counties, I saw on a map that Stephenville was dry, yet last year I remember getting a 12-pack there. Had a couple at Montana's another time. Did they just go wet recently? town went wet via the november 2008 elections....

we are at the bar and found out at the same time that the town was going wet but obama had won the election.....

STANG RED
01-27-2010, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by jason
town went wet via the november 2008 elections....

we are at the bar and found out at the same time that the town was going wet but obama had won the election.....

But look at the bright side. All that salt in the tears, made the beer taste just that much better. At least there was one good thing that came out of that election.:D