PDA

View Full Version : Evolution of NFL Offenses and Defenses

Bullaholic
01-21-2010, 02:30 PM
It is popular opinion that the passing game rules offenses in the NFL, and the run is used to pick up first downs and make defenses play closer to the line.

I think the future of NFL offenses will be to use 2 WR's that are Michael Vick prototypes---very fast and who can run, catch, and throw equally well in addditon to the starting QB. This will allow the QB to throw the ball to either side of the field, thus avoiding game-controlling rushes like the Vikings use. The WR/QB can read the defense, elect to run if they are playing "back", or throw the ball to a "hot" receiver---maybe even the starting QB or RB on a route out of the pocket. Of course the starting QB can still execute conventional pass and run plays as usual. This will make defenses unable to focus on rushing the passer or run blitzing and spread the field as never before.

I think Jared Allen prototypes are the future of NFL defenses. Somewhat smaller, extremely developed physically, but very fast with incredible 4-quarter stamina. I think the future NFL offensive lineman will have to match this trend along similar lines to be competitive. I think the days of the slower, bulkier, and less agile player are coming to an end.

Txbroadcaster
01-21-2010, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
It is popular opinion that the passing game rules offenses in the NFL, and the run is used to pick up first downs and make defenses play closer to the line.

I think the future of NFL offenses will be to use 2 WR's that are Michael Vick prototypes---very fast and who can run, catch, and throw equally well in addditon to the starting QB. This will allow the QB to throw the ball to either side of the field, thus avoiding game-controlling rushes like the Vikings use. The WR/QB can read the defense, elect to run if they are playing "back", or throw the ball to a "hot" receiver---maybe even the starting QB or RB on a route out of the pocket. Of course the starting QB can still execute conventional pass and run plays as usual. This will make defenses unable to focus on rushing the passer or run blitzing and spread the field as never before.

I think Jared Allen prototypes are the future of NFL defenses. Somewhat smaller, extremely developed physically, but very fast with incredible 4-quarter stamina. I think the future NFL offensive lineman will have to match this trend along similar lines to be competitive. I think the days of the slower, bulkier, and less agile player are coming to an end.

Trends in the NFL come and go and come back again

The 3-4 was the rage in the late 80's and early 90's...then teams went back to the 4-3...now we are seeing the 3-4 comeback.

If you built your D around Jared Allen types you would get dominated in the run game

Denver used the smaller Oline wth success as did Washington in the 80's and San fran in the 80's

Dallas used the massive Oline for success in the 90's as did the Giants and Bears in the 80's

The problem with trying to do the throw to the side and let that WR/QB combo then throw or run is that you do it to much then the CB out there would just play right in their face and as the WR/QB stepped back to catch the ball the CB would simply go right at him

That type of play like the bubble screen id effective only when the CBs are playing off the WR allowing that cushion.

As teams build ways to attack..defense shape their D to stop it..then offenses counter..hence why trends come back in style over and over