PDA

View Full Version : Alternator Question

bwdlionfan
01-20-2010, 11:47 PM
This morning on my way to work the battery light came on on my dash (and was also on on the way home from work this evening). When I got home I connected my battery charger to the battery and had 55% charge. I charged the battery up to 100%, started the car, and then disconnected the battery cable and the car died instantly indicating it is the alternator and not the battery that is the problem.

I was going to just find a used alternator (my car is 10 years old) and install it myself as it's not that complicated of an installation.

My question is this:

I was told there is a regulator that regulates how many amps are sent from the alternator to the battery. It could be the alternator OR the regulator.... the only way to tell for sure is to let a shop check it. I don't want to buy an alternator and then find out it's the regulator that needs replacing... sooo, what's my best bet?

rockdale80
01-21-2010, 12:42 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bwdlionfan
This morning on my way to work the battery light came on on my dash (and was also on on the way home from work this evening). When I got home I connected my battery charger to the battery and had 55% charge. I charged the battery up to 100%, started the car, and then disconnected the battery cable and the car died instantly indicating it is the alternator and not the battery that is the problem.

I was going to just find a used alternator (my car is 10 years old) and install it myself as it's not that complicated of an installation.

My question is this:

I was told there is a regulator that regulates how many amps are sent from the alternator to the battery. It could be the alternator OR the regulator.... the only way to tell for sure is to let a shop check it. I don't want to buy an alternator and then find out it's the regulator that needs replacing... sooo, what's my best bet? [/QUOTE

What kind of car is it? You can take a a wrench or screwdriver and place it behind the alternator while the car is running. If it is magnetized and pulls to the back of the alternator then your alternator is good. Most likely it is not your regulator though.

bwdlionfan
01-21-2010, 10:25 AM
It's a mustang

rockdale80
01-21-2010, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
It's a mustang

Probably an alternator. It is an easy fix on a mustang.

SintonFan
01-21-2010, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan

My question is this:

I was told there is a regulator that regulates how many amps are sent from the alternator to the battery. It could be the alternator OR the regulator.... the only way to tell for sure is to let a shop check it. I don't want to buy an alternator and then find out it's the regulator that needs replacing... sooo, what's my best bet?

Go to Car-part.com
They have an extensive list of parts by many many recyclers and yards. The parts are rated on quality, some guaranteed, and you can save some $$$ in the process. Make sure you enter your zip code to see who is closest to you.:)

sinton66
01-27-2010, 07:28 AM
Most alternators have the regulator built into them these days.