PDA

View Full Version : Laptop keyboards

Ranger Mom
01-20-2010, 11:19 PM
Anyone ever replaced one?? If so, how hard is it?

Mine is not working anymore, and even though I usually use a wireless keyboard and mouse, it's still nice to have a working one so I don't have to drag the wireless one everywhere.

I can't seem to find any instructions on how to do it with my particular model of computer.

Ranger Mom
01-21-2010, 12:31 PM
Darn....I guess I am on my own here!!:(

Bullaholic
01-21-2010, 12:39 PM
I'll try to help, RM. Generally, laptop keyboard replacement is not a job for endusers. It involves "splitting" the case of the laptop thru a sequenced series of screw removals to get in to the keyboard and then replacing it. Securing a replacement keyboard from the manufacturer usually involes quite a bit of research, also. I would recommend you leave the job to a qualified laptop repair facillity or technician. You can continue to use the laptop with an external keyboard or replace the laptop entirely. Hope this helps.

Ranger Mom
01-21-2010, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I'll try to help, RM. Generally, laptop keyboard replacement is not a job for endusers. It involves "splitting" the case of the laptop thru a sequenced series of screw removals to get in to the keyboard and then replacing it. Securing a replacement keyboard from the manufacturer usually involes quite a bit of research, also. I would recommend you leave the job to a qualified laptop repair facillity or technician. You can continue to use the laptop with an external keyboard or replace the laptop entirely. Hope this helps.

I talked to my "computer guy" a few minutes ago. He said I could get a keyboard for between $30 and $50 dollars.

He said I could do it myself if the access is on to keyboard side...(which it isn't:( ) or...he could do it for me for about $50 bucks (he figures it will take about 30 minutes or so.)

I think that is my best bet!!

JJWalker
01-21-2010, 12:57 PM
Rangermom, I did it for my ThinkPad.

The little pointing device that a ThinkPad uses wore out on mine an quit working.

I used an external mouse for a while, but found that to be a nusiance. So, I was able to use the internet to determine the part number of the keyboard for my actual ThinkPad model and ordered one.

When it arrived ... I was able to see how it was integrated into the case ... and replacement was fairly easy.

But like Bullaholic stated ... there were a lot of very small screws to be removed and replaced. But if you are systematic in your approach, have good light and good eyes. Go for it.

I did it.

big daddy russ
01-21-2010, 01:12 PM
You can do it. It's quite a bit easier than it sounds.