View Full Version : Van HC Leaving

Txbroadcaster
01-20-2010, 11:52 AM
Coach Pennington is taking the QB/Asst HC job at New Caney Porter

kaorder1999
01-20-2010, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Coach Pennington is taking the QB/Asst HC job at New Caney Porter

interesting...think the OC saw this coming and went after Honey Grove job?

Txbroadcaster
01-20-2010, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
interesting...think the OC saw this coming and went after Honey Grove job?

Good question

Honestly IMO Pennington was never as comfortable at Van as it appeared..I know he was a "hometown" guy, but I dont think he ever felt he had the real trust of the community...now that is just MY VIEW from covering Van for 3 years and staying in contact with him...he never actually said that, just kinda the vibe I got

kaorder1999
01-20-2010, 12:04 PM
well...didnt he leave and then come back?

lynard_skynard
01-20-2010, 02:43 PM
will they stay in house to fill this one or go outside?

kaorder1999
01-20-2010, 03:03 PM
if he wants it I believe they have someone is house that would do great....good guy

icu812
01-21-2010, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
well...didnt he leave and then come back?

Was an assistant at Van under Mal Fowler and David Goff then went to Brenham as a OC, maybe in 99-01. Then back to Van as a head coach.

Txbroadcaster, as far as him not having the trust of the community, I don't think that was the case. He helped turn things around after a couple bad years (mostly due to lack of talent in several classes in a row). He did a good job as evidenced by his 62-26 record and five playoff appearances since 2002. However, having the #1 RB recruit in the nation, being a 3A school and not making the playoffs three straight years puts some pressure on you. Especially, when your freshman son is the starting QB. Who ended up at WR by his Jr. year. Those were three tough years to be a head coach. One of those years Van was 8-2 and didn't make the playoffs (4 way tie for district championship). All three of his boys ended up being good players at Van btw.

We also lost our OC to Honey Grove.

With good kids, above avg talent, outstanding new facilities and great community support Van should have plenty of applicants to choose from. I personally hope they look outside the program. Not a knock on anyone I just think they should hire the best available coach that is a good fit for Van. If that is someone that is already in Van then so be it.

Good luck to coach Pennington.