PDA

View Full Version : Tennessee must be thrilled

kepdawg
01-15-2010, 06:09 PM
Hired some guy named Dooley from La. Tech.

westtxfballfan
01-15-2010, 06:17 PM
Son of Vince Dooley, long-time former Georgia Bulldog coach.

Old Tiger
01-15-2010, 06:52 PM
Wasn't he their 5th option? Crazy that a team like Tennessee had that much trouble finding a coach and no one wanted to go there.

Johnny Utah
01-15-2010, 07:03 PM
Lost too many recruits and they play in the SEC, tough to recover from.

bobcat4life
01-15-2010, 07:53 PM
Ive never even heard of this guy

Old Tiger
01-15-2010, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by bobcat4life
Ive never even heard of this guy [guy who thinkings he knows everything about coaching] Then you don't know squat about coaching or coaches [/guy who thinks he knows everything about coaching]

bobcat4life
01-15-2010, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
[guy who thinkings he knows everything about coaching] Then you don't know squat about coaching or coaches [/guy who thinks he knows everything about coaching] I never claimed to know everything about coaching or coaches. I was just saying I havent heard of this guy

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-15-2010, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by bobcat4life
I never claimed to know everything about coaching or coaches. I was just saying I havent heard of this guy

Well I've heard of him but I'm not impressed at all, I think he is like 7-18 at LA Tech

Tx Challenge
01-15-2010, 09:13 PM
Personally, I would have liked to see UT take a little more time on this. While time is of issue with recruits, I am not sure that sooner is better in this case.

shamu85
01-15-2010, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Tx Challenge
Personally, I would have liked to see UT take a little more time on this. While time is of issue with recruits, I am not sure that sooner is better in this case.

I am with you on this one. Seems crazy to try to hire just so you can have someone in place before in person recruiting starts up again. I would have thought they would want to get the best coach. Still can't belive they didn't contact Leach.

Tx Challenge
01-16-2010, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by shamu85
I am with you on this one. Seems crazy to try to hire just so you can have someone in place before in person recruiting starts up again. I would have thought they would want to get the best coach. Still can't belive they didn't contact Leach.

J,

Word on Leach. I think that would have been a match. Tenn always has these great receivers. ALWAYS HAVE! After Manning, no qb. Leach would have found a way to put the ball in their hands. He can find a "slinger"

Either way, I think UT did not think long term. They feel they got burned (they did) but in return they reacted. Quality coaches got overlooked. IMO, again, IMO, the Vols should have made the best of the 2010 and decided to look beyond. I feel they did not. The rough road will continue in Rocky Top...

Additup
01-16-2010, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Tx Challenge

Look at the mess before the Kiffin leaving Tennessee press conference. Feels like frustration and pressure will cause panic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dbNBd4S8II

They panicked. I remember when Dooley on staff and recruiting for SMU in late 90s.
Somewhere Fulmer's grinning EAR to EAR. Tenn gonna have fleas for a while from shacking up with Kiffin.

LH Panther Mom
01-16-2010, 12:13 PM
Maybe the band can replace "Rocky Top" with "Dooley Banjos". :D

SWMustang
01-16-2010, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Maybe the band can replace "Rocky Top" with "Dooley Banjos". :D

well played!

PhiI C
01-16-2010, 11:42 PM
In 1956 the University of Texas was looking for a head football coach. There were several established coaches that they wanted but they declined coming to UT. One of them recommended Coach Darrell who was coach at Washington so the administrators asked then Athletic Director and former head football coach Dana Bible to call Coach Royal. Now Coach Royal had only been a head coach for three years and two were at Mississippi State from 1954 and 1955 with 6-4 records and one at 5-5 at Washington in 1956.
Coach Royal had heard UT was interested in him so he was not surprised when Mr. Bible called him up one night to come to Austin for an interview. I guess Mr. Bible had a lot of clout or somehow knew after talking to Coach Royal on the phone what the future foretold because after he hung up he was quoted as telling his wife right there before the interview or anything "I've just got through talking to the next head football coach at Texas."

Coach Royal was hired and had great success at UT indeed.

bobcat4life
01-17-2010, 12:02 AM
Phil, for every story like Darrel Royal's, there are 15 stories of guys who seemed questionable unless you were close to the situation where the person has failed