PDA

View Full Version : How much credit should Jerry Jones get

Txbroadcaster
01-15-2010, 11:56 AM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/columnists/jtaylor/stories/011310dnspotaylor.3230cbc.html

One of the comments had a good point

in 21 years under Jones they have had 14 winning seasons..7 losing 8 division Titles

13-8 in the play-offs and of course the 3 SB titles

waterboy
01-15-2010, 12:08 PM
The one thing you CAN say about Jerry Jones is he DOES want to win. Most of his success with this franchise came earlier in his ownership when Jimmy Johnson was coach, though, mainly because he let his head coach pick and choose personnel and Jerry went and got it done. Now, he's playing GM and making the majority of personnel decisions and it hasn't worked as well. I don't really like Jerry Jones as a person, but I do respect his business savvy and his "I want a winner" attitude. I do think that the long playoff drought was due mostly to his heavy-handed decision-making. I think he would've continued the mid '90s playoff run if he would've sat back and let the coaches decide on personnel issues instead of him, at least the team as a whole would've been more successful on the field. Just my opinion, though..........but he is a good owner.

STANG RED
01-15-2010, 12:19 PM
No secret that I have little respect for JJ as a team owner. I honestly believe Dallas's successes have been in spite of Jerry, and many of their failures have been due to him. Had he stepped back and left Jimmy alone, they would have at least won the 4 Super Bowls in a row, and I don’t think they would have gotten anywhere near to the low points they got to afterwards. Jerry also brought in the punks, thugs, and bums that everyone except Jerry knew would be a disaster. Sure enough they were.
However, as a business man and marketing genius, Jerry is second to no one. He just needs to recognize his strengths and weaknesses, keep doing what he does best, and leave the rest alone.

BullsFan
01-15-2010, 12:33 PM
Without the Herschel Walker trade, I'm not sure they get to the first Super Bowl (in '92). So I have to give Jerry and his wheeling and dealing some credit for that. There have been times when I've thought he should have stepped back and let well enough alone, and yes, we absolutely would have won 3 consecutive SBs (if not 4) had he not made some unwise comments. But overall he brought a new energy to the organization, and he absolutely loves his team. I guess I'll take the good with the bad given what's happened since he took over.

Farmersfan
01-15-2010, 12:47 PM
Jerry gets a very poor grade as a GM in my book but a better grade as a owner. The failings of this organization recently are more related to his decisions at the coach position rather than players. A quality coach makes superstars out of average players!

Txbroadcaster
01-15-2010, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
Jerry gets a very poor grade as a GM in my book but a better grade as a owner. The failings of this organization recently are more related to his decisions at the coach position rather than players. A quality coach makes superstars out of average players!

I think the coaches in place have proven they are solid if not the style some think must be in place for success

I always found it interesting his biggest regret was firing Chan gailey...He felt he did not give him enought time. I think with how this year played out, he showed he was CORRECT in keeping the staff in place.

He also allowed Phillips this year a chance to bring in "his guys" and I think that is huge

CelinaCatFan
01-15-2010, 05:20 PM
I would also have to give Jerry credit for his ability to find ways to circumvent the salary cap when it was introduced to the league. He and Stephen gave the Cowboys a competitive advantage by getting the best players available during those Super Bowl years by working the cap numbers.

STANG RED
01-15-2010, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by CelinaCatFan
I would also have to give Jerry credit for his ability to find ways to circumvent the salary cap when it was introduced to the league. He and Stephen gave the Cowboys a competitive advantage by getting the best players available during those Super Bowl years by working the cap numbers.

True, but it was obvious at the time he was also sacraficing the future. Sure enough, look what it did. But he did get 3 super bowl wins out of it. Sure took a loooooooong time to recover from though.