PDA

View Full Version : Minneapolis StarTribune article

pancho villa
01-14-2010, 11:07 AM
Gov. Tim Pawlenty(Minn) has closed the airport to all flights from Dallas for the next four days.

Quote"We don't need that trash from Dallas coming up here and posioning the minds of our young with their _________ideals. You Guys can watch the game on your tvs, if you have one"

Bullaholic
01-14-2010, 11:13 AM
He better hope the Cowboys charter can't land either, Pancho--nothing but a a large can of whoop-butt carried in on that plane and the right to play in the NFC championship leaving with it Sunday night. :D

pancho villa
01-14-2010, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
He better hope the Cowboys charter can't land either, Pancho--nothing but a a large can of whoop-butt carried in on that plane and the right to play in the NFC championship leaving with it Sunday night. :D

Peterson is going to run all over the boys!

Bullaholic
01-14-2010, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by pancho villa
Peterson is going to run all over the boys!

He hasn't done that to anybody lately, Pancho, and he won't against the Cowboys either for about 4 very good reasons named
Ratliff, Ware, Spencer, and James.

slpybear the bullfan
01-14-2010, 11:38 AM
He hasn't done that to anybody lately, Pancho, and he won't against the Cowboys either for about 4 very good reasons named

+1

pancho villa
01-14-2010, 11:46 AM

What about sleepy and Doc?

button-nose
01-14-2010, 12:11 PM
wrong SN

button-nose
01-14-2010, 12:12 PM
WTH?? this is
Anna now and i just noticed my signature....jerkwad....P.S.-thanks for coming home to take care of me while i'm sick =)

Farmersfan
01-14-2010, 02:57 PM
I have heard probably a dozen "PROFESSIONALS" give an opinion and projection about this matchup with about half picking Dallas and the other half picking the Vikings. What I'm puzzled about is the fact that almost every single person who talks about this matchup brings up the Minnesota running game and the "KEY" to a win or lose. Chris Collinsworth just interviewed on The Ticket and he said that Dallas has not encountered a running game before like they will in this game. What gives? Have I missed something?

Vikings offense:

Ranked #13 in Total rushing Yards
Ranked #9 rushing attempts per game.
Ranked #13 Rushing YPG
Ranked #13 in YPA rushing.

Dallas has played the Packers, the Broncos, The Saints, the Chiefs and the Eagles who average more yards per attempt on the ground than the Vikings do. And Dallas beat 3 of the those 5. Why is it that everyone is talking about the Vikings running game? I don't get it!

In the last 5 games Dallas is averaging 142 rushing yards while only giving up 44. Minnesota is averaging 84 YPG rushing while giving up 87 yards rushing per game. Seems to me the Dallas rushing attack and Dallas rushing defense should be the one everyone is talking about!

coach
01-14-2010, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I have heard probably a dozen "PROFESSIONALS" give an opinion and projection about this matchup with about half picking Dallas and the other half picking the Vikings. What I'm puzzled about is the fact that almost every single person who talks about this matchup brings up the Minnesota running game and the "KEY" to a win or lose. Chris Collinsworth just interviewed on The Ticket and he said that Dallas has not encountered a running game before like they will in this game. What gives? Have I missed something?

Vikings offense:

Ranked #13 Rushing YPG

Dallas has played the Packers, the Broncos, The Saints, the Chiefs and the Eagles who average more yards per attempt on the ground than the Vikings do. And Dallas beat 3 of the those 5. Why is it that everyone is talking about the Vikings running game? I don't get it!

In the last 5 games Dallas is averaging 142 rushing yards while only giving up 44. Minnesota is averaging 84 YPG rushing while giving up 87 yards rushing per game. Seems to me the Dallas rushing attack and Dallas rushing defense should be the one everyone is talking about!

the saints and eagles barely run the ball lol...

pirate4state
01-14-2010, 03:01 PM
I'm more worried about the big play if Brett gets comfortable in the pocket.

themsu97
01-14-2010, 03:09 PM

Vikings offense:

Ranked #13 Rushing YPG

there is a simple and logical answer to that... Minnesota has a running back by the name of Adrian Peterson... many consider him to be the best back in the league... the Broncos, Saints, Chiefs, Eagles and Packers do not have a running back anywhere near what Adrian Peterson brings to the table...
does that mean Dallas cannot stop them, no... but comparing those backs to Peterson is like saying Henne has more yards per attempt than Peyton, two totally different animals

Farmersfan
01-14-2010, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by coach
the saints and eagles barely run the ball lol...

Saints: 29.2 attempts per game for a 4.5 per attempt average. 2106 total rushing yards this season.

Eagles: 24 attempts per game for a 4.3 per attempt average. 1637 total rushig yards this season.

Vikings: 29.2 attempts per game for a 4.1 per attempt average. 1918 total rushing yards this season.

Txbroadcaster
01-14-2010, 03:13 PM
You ask why?

Because The Saints and Eagles dont have someone line Peterson that CAN take over a game...When the Vikes are at their best He is getting yards which causes teams to bring an 8th guy int he box, it also allows the play action pass to be a factor.

When the Vikes struggle they get into a pass happy mode and teams can simply pin their ears back with the front and drop guys back into the passing lanes and that cancels out some of their one on one match ups that favor them.

Minny has not lost a game when Peterson gets at least 25 carries

They are at their best when pounding the running game to open the passing game

Where they have struggled in Dec was establishing the run and instead flinging the ball all over the place.

Farmersfan
01-14-2010, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by themsu97
there is a simple and logical answer to that... Minnesota has a running back by the name of Adrian Peterson... many consider him to be the best back in the league... the Broncos, Saints, Chiefs, Eagles and Packers do not have a running back anywhere near what Adrian Peterson brings to the table...
does that mean Dallas cannot stop them, no... but comparing those backs to Peterson is like saying Henne has more yards per attempt than Peyton, two totally different animals

Oh! Ok, I didn't realize the rushing stats that I posted didn't INCLUDE Adrian Peterson. Sorry! :hand:

But for the sake of this discussion, what if Henne also had more total yards, and more attempts? Can you compare them now?

turbostud
01-14-2010, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by button-nose
WTH?? this is
Anna now and i just noticed my signature....jerkwad....P.S.-thanks for coming home to take care of me while i'm sick =)

HaHa!

Farmersfan
01-14-2010, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
You ask why?

Because The Saints and Eagles dont have someone line Peterson that CAN take over a game...When the Vikes are at their best He is getting yards which causes teams to bring an 8th guy int he box, it also allows the play action pass to be a factor.

But apparently they have someone who can rush for MORE total yards, MORE average yards per game and MORE average yards per attempt!

Txbroadcaster
01-14-2010, 04:04 PM
But apparently they have someone who can rush for MORE total yards, MORE average yards per game and MORE average yards per attempt!

All that is great and good..but name a player for the Saints or Eagles that you fear truly taking a hand off at his own 20 breaking 5 tackles and outrunning the secondary for a momentum changing TD...That is What PEterson can do.

GrTigers6
01-14-2010, 04:15 PM
All that is great and good..but name a player for the Saints or Eagles that you fear truly taking a hand off at his own 20 breaking 5 tackles and outrunning the secondary for a momentum changing TD...That is What PEterson can do. FELIX JONES :D

Txbroadcaster
01-14-2010, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
FELIX JONES :D

Dallas sent him to Eagles or Saints?!! WTH :D

GrTigers6
01-14-2010, 04:19 PM
Dallas sent him to Eagles or Saints?!! WTH :D Thats what I get for speed reading:D

crzyjournalist03
01-14-2010, 04:27 PM
All that is great and good..but name a player for the Saints or Eagles that you fear truly taking a hand off at his own 20 breaking 5 tackles and outrunning the secondary for a momentum changing TD...That is What PEterson can do.

Reggie Bush.

He doesn't do it nearly as often as Peterson, but he's capable.

Txbroadcaster
01-14-2010, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Reggie Bush.

He doesn't do it nearly as often as Peterson, but he's capable.

two runs over 25 yds all year IMO shows he is not as capable as people think

pirate4state
01-14-2010, 04:32 PM
two runs over 25 yds all year IMO shows he is not as capable as people think LOL

crzyjournalist03
01-14-2010, 04:33 PM
two runs over 25 yds all year IMO shows he is not as capable as people think

capability and execution are two completely different things.

Felix Jones is capable of taking a kickoff for a touchdown, but how many of those does he have this year?

pirate4state
01-14-2010, 04:36 PM
hehe :D

Farmersfan
01-14-2010, 04:37 PM

And would this ability be something NEW that hasn't been used previously to accumulate the #13 ranking for the Viking rushing attack???? I'm just saying that 80 yard touchdown runs where he "breaks 5 tackles and outruns the secondary for a momentum changing TD" should give the offense a little better per attempt average. What do you think?

Txbroadcaster
01-14-2010, 04:41 PM
And would this ability be something NEW that hasn't been used previously to accumulate the #13 ranking for the Viking rushing attack???? I'm just saying that 80 yard touchdown runs where he "breaks 5 tackles and outruns the secondary for a momentum changing TD" should give the offense a little better per attempt average. What do you think?

Dude..Peterson ended with 1300 yards and 18 TDS..your telling me you dont think Dallas has to contain him to win?!

Txbroadcaster
01-14-2010, 04:45 PM
capability and execution are two completely different things.

Felix Jones is capable of taking a kickoff for a touchdown, but how many of those does he have this year?

If we were just talking KR and Felix Jones had not shown the ability to go 70 on a hand off or 50 on a screen pass I would agree

But Bush has not been explosive in ANY facet of the game this year...so that means the Saints with all of their explosivness only execute when Bush DOES NOT have the ball?

Bush is a shadow at this point of what he was, alot of that is injuries, but either way, IMO Bush is not a homerun threat AT THIS POINT of his career and especially this season

Farmersfan
01-14-2010, 04:52 PM
Dude..Peterson ended with 1300 yards and 18 TDS..your telling me you dont think Dallas has to contain him to win?!

That's not even close to what I'm telling you TX. I am telling you that the Vikings rushing attack is not near as tough as the media is telling everyone it is. The ENTIRE Viking offense (including Peterson) compiled 1900 rushing yards and is ranked #13.

Txbroadcaster
01-14-2010, 05:01 PM
That's not even close to what I'm telling you TX. I am telling you that the Vikings rushing attack is not near as tough as the media is telling everyone it is. The ENTIRE Viking offense (including Peterson) compiled 1900 rushing yards and is ranked #13.

I see wht ur saying..but I also think ur looking to much into the where they are stats wise to not think there rushing game CAN be tough..There use of it IMO hampers them as much as teams stopping them.

crzyjournalist03
01-14-2010, 05:12 PM
Q: In the Cowboys' last seven games, which opposing running back has the longest rush against them?

A: Reggie Bush.

Txbroadcaster
01-14-2010, 05:13 PM
Q: In the Cowboys' last seven games, which opposing running back has the longest rush against them?

A: Reggie Bush.

lol yep his one carry in that game was the longest..of course it was only his second run of over 20 yards all season

crzyjournalist03
01-14-2010, 05:19 PM
lol yep his one carry in that game was the longest..of course it was only his second run of over 20 yards all season

Q: How many rushes of more than 15 yards has Adrian Peterson had since the calendar hit December?

A: 1, which is two fewer than Reggie Bush.

Txbroadcaster
01-14-2010, 05:50 PM
Q: How many rushes of more than 15 yards has Adrian Peterson had since the calendar hit December?

A: 1, which is two fewer than Reggie Bush.

no doubt Peterson struggled in Dec..never said he did not..i am just saying at THIS POINT of their careers I fear Peterson's home run threat alot more than Reggie Bush and basically anyone in the league besides JOhnson in Tenn and Felix

TheDOCTORdre
01-14-2010, 06:30 PM

Dallas won't have to worry about containing Peterson, the Vikings have Brett Favre to do that:devil:

SintonFan_inAustin
01-14-2010, 08:47 PM
Favre is more comfortable when he's being blitzed, his pass completion goes up into upper 70 percent area. Take away the deep pass and stop the run and make BRET FARVVVEA throw the short stuff and he eventually chunk it deep for a interception.

DU_stud04
01-14-2010, 09:54 PM
vikings third window has been suspect all season, winfield hasnt been healthy since the beginning of the season, should be coming out of the slot back over to his cb position this week after the bye. the loss of henderson at mike was another big blow to the defense, second year theyve lost him. purple people eaters defense hasnt been as great as it has been the past few years, still very physical. both these defenses remind me alot of the other. one thing cowboys will be facing is a team that can make a tackle...anyone else notice how terrible the eagles were last two weeks?

i still say neither team as been completely challenged, both have played bad ball, both fans claim to hate their coaching(childress is way worse for those who think otherwise). cowboys have miles austin who has been the spark of the offense all year. vikings has sydney rice who has some of the best hands in the league, both have their game changers, cowboys felix jones, vikings percy harvin. both have great tight ends, witten and shiancoe. its going to be a great matchup on the line as well. ive stated before that i think mckinnie is over rated in the pro bowl thread... i think that will be the biggest key matchup of the game... if he can stop ware on the left side. if not, its going to be another embarrassing night for him like he had against peppers.

cowboys have not allowed a 100 yard rusher all season, peterson, even though having a lackluster past month, is looking to change that....even if he doesnt, him in the backfield makes favre's job that much easier, just because he brings people forward. play the run well and you're defense is going to do great things for you.

i say this game is going to be a fantastic game between mirror teams. vikings by 1.(as a cowboys fan from birth, that hurts...but its what i said when vikings signed favre...vikings were winning it all this year)

DU_stud04
01-14-2010, 10:06 PM
forgot my game changers picks

cowboys= Jason Witten...simply due to the fact vikings havent been able to cover a te all season.

vikings= percy harvin...this kid is dynamite! just hope his migraines don't kick in this weekend.

SintonFan
01-14-2010, 10:32 PM
DU_stud04, hopefully this game will be closer to the last time the Cowboy's played against Favre.;) :cool:

coach
01-14-2010, 10:35 PM
Saints: 29.2 attempts per game for a 4.5 per attempt average. 2106 total rushing yards this season.

Eagles: 24 attempts per game for a 4.3 per attempt average. 1637 total rushig yards this season.

Vikings: 29.2 attempts per game for a 4.1 per attempt average. 1918 total rushing yards this season.

you throw a stat ill throw a stat....philly had 52 total plays against dallas...they ran it 8 times