PDA

View Full Version : Pants On The Ground!

PhiI C
01-13-2010, 09:52 PM
What a last performance on American Idol tonight. A retired veteran of 62 has got a big hit. He is too old to advance to Hollywood but this song will no doubt be a hit and make him famous. I hope they have him on YouTube so you can enjoy him if you missed it.

PANTS ON THE GROUND!
LOOKING LIKE A FOOL WITH YOUR PANTS ON THE GROUND!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ranger Mom
01-14-2010, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by PhiI C
What a last performance on American Idol tonight. A retired veteran of 62 has got a big hit. He is too old to advance to Hollywood but this song will no doubt be a hit and make him famous. I hope they have him on YouTube so you can enjoy him if you missed it.

PANTS ON THE GROUND!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

That was the high point of the entire night!!

Phantom Stang
01-14-2010, 09:46 AM
Here's the video:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSLc64JGbDE

Farmersfan
01-14-2010, 09:58 AM
I think this guy will be bigger than William Hung.

Emerson1
01-14-2010, 11:01 AM
Remix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMy7GYdvHLs&fmt=

Phantom Stang
01-14-2010, 02:34 PM
Jan 13, 2010
General Larry Platt: A closer look
10:29 PM

We all got a good chuckle Wednesday out of General Larry Platt and his Pants on the Ground song. Entertaining as he was, I couldn't help but wonder why the American Idol producers saved the last spot of the show for a 62-year-old guy with a funny song.

Now I think I know.

Take a look at the photograph on the home page of the Civil Rights Veterans Movement website. See the young man on the left, looking directly into the camera? That's Larry Platt, age 16.

"We had come by bus in 1963 to a church in Savannah, Georgia to plan a march to desegregate the city," Platt writes. "Reverend Hosea Williams and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. were our leaders. That particular planned march was canceled and we were singing to raise our spirits before returning home."

Platt worked with the Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee and the Southern Christian Leadership Conference in Georgia, organizing sit-ins in the South.

He was beaten during the Bloody Sunday march from Selma, Ala., to Montgomery.

He got his nickname, "General," from the Rev. Hosea Williams because of his heroic efforts on behalf of the civil-rights movement.

The Georgia General Assembly proclaimed Sept. 4, 2001, Larry Platt Day in Atlanta, because of "his great energy and commitment to equality and the protection of the innocent and for his outstanding service to the Atlanta community and the citizens of Georgia."

He remains a community activist in the Atlanta area and recently has become known for publicly protesting foreclosures.

If anybody in that Atlanta crowd deserved his 15 minutes of fame on national television, it was Larry Platt.

When he tells you to get your pants off the ground, you'd best listen.

LINK (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/idolchatter/post/2010/01/general-larry-platt-a-closer-look/1)

Phantom Stang
01-14-2010, 02:39 PM
General Larry Platt on left, looking at camera. Age 16.

http://www.crmvet.org/crmpics/massmtg2.jpg

Ranger Mom
01-14-2010, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
Jan 13, 2010
General Larry Platt: A closer look
10:29 PM

We all got a good chuckle Wednesday out of General Larry Platt and his Pants on the Ground song. Entertaining as he was, I couldn't help but wonder why the American Idol producers saved the last spot of the show for a 62-year-old guy with a funny song.

Now I think I know.

Take a look at the photograph on the home page of the Civil Rights Veterans Movement website. See the young man on the left, looking directly into the camera? That's Larry Platt, age 16.

"We had come by bus in 1963 to a church in Savannah, Georgia to plan a march to desegregate the city," Platt writes. "Reverend Hosea Williams and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. were our leaders. That particular planned march was canceled and we were singing to raise our spirits before returning home."

Platt worked with the Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee and the Southern Christian Leadership Conference in Georgia, organizing sit-ins in the South.

He was beaten during the Bloody Sunday march from Selma, Ala., to Montgomery.

He got his nickname, "General," from the Rev. Hosea Williams because of his heroic efforts on behalf of the civil-rights movement.

The Georgia General Assembly proclaimed Sept. 4, 2001, Larry Platt Day in Atlanta, because of "his great energy and commitment to equality and the protection of the innocent and for his outstanding service to the Atlanta community and the citizens of Georgia."

He remains a community activist in the Atlanta area and recently has become known for publicly protesting foreclosures.

If anybody in that Atlanta crowd deserved his 15 minutes of fame on national television, it was Larry Platt.

When he tells you to get your pants off the ground, you'd best listen.

Awwww....that was a nice story!!!:clap:

STANG RED
01-14-2010, 03:48 PM
You gotta admire the spunk in the old guy. I know I got a good laugh out of it.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee61/marlinkd/massmtg2.jpg

That young man on the left is him, at 16. I bet his pants werent on the ground. :D

bobcat4life
01-15-2010, 12:09 AM
very catchy. and a great story about him when he was younger

SintonFan
01-18-2010, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by PhiI C

PANTS ON THE GROUND!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks Phil! I enjoyed that very much!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :)

IHStangFan
01-19-2010, 01:08 AM
Anyone see Brett Favre do his version in the locker room after the game?!?! It was classic!

beartwin
01-20-2010, 08:58 AM
Anyone see Brett Favre do his version in the locker room after the game?!?! It was classic!

That WAS hilarious.
Also, all the American Idol commercials that were coming on during the game have General Larry on them and it says "Don't miss the next big thing." haha.

Farmersfan
01-20-2010, 09:34 AM
I did enjoy it when it happened but now I am a little concerned that America would embrace this thing like it has. It was funny to watch but not very original or even the least bit good. It is amazing to me how easily the TV networks can herd us up like cattle and make millions off of something as trivial as this. Carry on America! Can you say Idiocracy?

Ranger Mom
01-20-2010, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I did enjoy it when it happened but now I am a little concerned that America would embrace this thing like it has. It was funny to watch but not very original or even the least bit good. It is amazing to me how easily the TV networks can herd us up like cattle and make millions off of something as trivial as this. Carry on America! Can you say Idiocracy?

It is amazing to me how people can find the silliest things to complain about!! Can you say GET A LIFE? :D :p

waterboy
01-20-2010, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
It is amazing to me how people can find the silliest things to complain about!! Can you say GET A LIFE? :D :p
:clap: :clap: :D

Farmersfan
01-20-2010, 03:17 PM

I totally, 100% agree with this Mom! So why would you complain about my silliness???????? Are you trying to "Amaze" yourself?

Ranger Mom
01-20-2010, 03:29 PM
I totally, 100% agree with this Mom! So why would you complain about my silliness???????? Are you trying to "Amaze" yourself?

Wow...if you think my post was "complaining" it is worse than I initially thought!!!:eek:

BullsFan
01-20-2010, 03:47 PM
Wow...if you think my post was "complaining" it is worse than I initially thought!!!:eek:

The Cowboys' season is over, so there's not that much to fight with Pick6 and TXbroadcaster about. Guess he's gonna start it over here now. ;)

Txbroadcaster
01-20-2010, 04:04 PM

I think it was the message of the song that people and honestly the fact an african american man was the one singing the message that people love so much

but ur right imo it was funny when i saw the first time..now it is getting old

Ranger Mom
01-20-2010, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by BullsFan
The Cowboys' season is over, so there's not that much to fight with Pick6 and TXbroadcaster about. Guess he's gonna start it over here now. ;)

He don't wanna fight with me....I have been told I don't fight fair!!

Plus....very seldom does anything make me mad enough to here to "fight"....so I am just a smart aleck!! :D

(How in the heck do you spell aleck anyway?? My spell checker doesn't like any of them!!)

Ranger Mom
01-20-2010, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I think it was the message of the song that people and honestly the fact an african american man was the one singing the message that people love so much

but ur right imo it was funny when i saw the first time..now it is getting old

I love the cowboys....but had Brett Favre sang "Romo on the ground" instead of "Pants on the ground" it would have been REALLY funny!!!!:p (given all the sacks he had)

I guess I just don't watch TV/Internet enough....I heard it on American Idol and then Favre do his version....and that is the only 2 times I have heard it!!!

I guess I really DO have a life after all!!!

Farmersfan
01-20-2010, 04:11 PM

Was it your intent to start a debate or were you simply wanting to insult me?

My comment was meant to elicit some intelligent conversation from someone who might also see how large TV networks using the nonsense from this elderly gentleman as a medium for making tons of money is indicative of what has become common place in our society and we not only allow it to happen but most of us actually help it happen.
On the other hand, Your comment was meant to do NOTHING but insult me and cast judgment on me in front of the whole forum. I think it is pretty obvious which one of us needs to "Get a Life!

Ranger Mom
01-20-2010, 04:14 PM
Was it your intent to start a debate or were you simply wanting to insult me?

My comment was meant to elicit some intelligent conversation from someone who might also see how large TV networks using the nonsense from this elderly gentleman as a medium for making tons of money is indicative of what has become common place in our society and we not only allow it to happen but most of us actually help it happen.
On the other hand, Your comment was meant to do NOTHING but insult me and cast judgment on me in front of the whole forum. I think it is pretty obvious which one of us needs to "Get a Life!

Okay....you obviously don't like to play....so I will leave you alone.

Sorry....I was honestly just joking!!!

But....I know better now!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

kepdawg
01-20-2010, 04:22 PM
My comment was meant to elicit some intelligent conversation...

You, sir, are in the wrong place!

Farmersfan
01-20-2010, 04:31 PM
Okay....you obviously don't like to play....so I will leave you alone.

Sorry....I was honestly just joking!!!

But....I know better now!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm not upset at all Mom! Don't apoligize if that is how you honestly feel. My response was only meant to show that your comment was ironic as hell because by responding in a negative way to my "Silliness" you were doing the exact same thing that you claimed I was doing. So if I need to "Get a Life" then apparently so do you!!!!
But if you want this forum to be a girly, slumber party, trade makeup tips type forum instead of one where we actually exchange ideas and beliefs then who am I to question it?????
(Kidding also)!!!:D :D

BullsFan
01-20-2010, 04:42 PM
Honestly, I don't think major media outlets have anything to do with this. I think it's mostly viral. Sort of a grassroots internet campaign. Who is making millions off this??

Farmersfan
01-20-2010, 04:56 PM
Honestly, I don't think major media outlets have anything to do with this. I think it's mostly viral. Sort of a grassroots internet campaign. Who is making millions off this??

The American Idol producers were commercializing it before the end of that very same show. The entire cast, crew and contestants on the show were singing the song as the closing credits played. Everytime a American Idol advertisment comes on TV now that clip is played. Although I can't prove it I would honestly bet they even made arrangments to have the man on the View and every other media outlet that they could get him on. And all that was done BEFORE the show ever aired.
It would not even surprise me to eventually find out that someone with Idol actually wrote the jingle and taught it to him. But that's just me.

Ranger Mom
01-20-2010, 05:00 PM
I'm not upset at all Mom! Don't apoligize if that is how you honestly feel. My response was only meant to show that your comment was ironic as hell because by responding in a negative way to my "Silliness" you were doing the exact same thing that you claimed I was doing. So if I need to "Get a Life" then apparently so do you!!!!
But if you want this forum to be a girly, slumber party, trade makeup tips type forum instead of one where we actually exchange ideas and beliefs then who am I to question it?????
(Kidding also)!!!:D :D

All the fun went out of this thread....back to work for me!:(

BullsFan
01-21-2010, 09:24 AM
The American Idol producers were commercializing it before the end of that very same show. The entire cast, crew and contestants on the show were singing the song as the closing credits played. Everytime a American Idol advertisment comes on TV now that clip is played. Although I can't prove it I would honestly bet they even made arrangments to have the man on the View and every other media outlet that they could get him on. And all that was done BEFORE the show ever aired.
It would not even surprise me to eventually find out that someone with Idol actually wrote the jingle and taught it to him. But that's just me.

Whoa. Conspiracy theories much? I think you are WAY overthinking this, and I also think you're out of your mind just a leetle bit. Bet you also believe there was more than one gunman, there're UFOs in Area 51, and that you need a tinfoil hat to save you from all those toxic alien rays. :D ;) :p

All kidding aside, no way that was planned except that whoever screened him early on probably knew he was funny. These kinds of things NEVER work when they're preplanned. You can't catch lightning in a bottle.

Farmersfan
01-21-2010, 11:01 AM
Whoa. Conspiracy theories much? I think you are WAY overthinking this, and I also think you're out of your mind just a leetle bit. Bet you also believe there was more than one gunman, there're UFOs in Area 51, and that you need a tinfoil hat to save you from all those toxic alien rays. :D ;) :p

All kidding aside, no way that was planned except that whoever screened him early on probably knew he was funny. These kinds of things NEVER work when they're preplanned. You can't catch lightning in a bottle.

Everything about American Idol is "PLANNED"!.

And I will have you know that my tinfoil cap has saved me more than once from alien brain waves that were sent from space to punish us for capturing the aliens at Area 51.

BullsFan
01-21-2010, 12:02 PM
Everything about American Idol is "PLANNED"!.

And I will have you know that my tinfoil cap has saved me more than once from alien brain waves that were sent from space to punish us for capturing the aliens at Area 51.

DUDE! You DO have a sense of humor!! ;)

Ranger Mom
01-21-2010, 12:33 PM
DUDE! You DO have a sense of humor!! ;)

Shocking...isn't it??:p :p :p

(Please notice the sticky out tongue smiley...indicating a joking jovial tongue in cheek post......I don't use smileys if I am mad or upset!!)

Phantom Stang
01-21-2010, 12:44 PM
He don't wanna fight with me....I have been told I don't fight fair!!

Plus....very seldom does anything make me mad enough to here to "fight"....so I am just a smart aleck!! :D

(How in the heck do you spell aleck anyway?? My spell checker doesn't like any of them!!)
On the subject of not having a life....
I just spent about 5 minutes trying to come up with a version of "smart aleck" that my spell checker would accept. :doh:

Ranger Mom
01-21-2010, 12:50 PM
On the subject of not having a life....
I just spent about 5 minutes trying to come up with a version of "smart aleck" that my spell checker would accept. :doh:

Did you find one??

waterboy
01-21-2010, 01:09 PM
"a-l-e-c-k" is spelled correctly. I should know......I've been called it so many times when I was a kid I looked it up in the dictionary.:D

Phantom Stang
01-21-2010, 01:19 PM
Did you find one??
nope

BTW "nope" clears my spell checker. Go figure.

Phantom Stang
01-21-2010, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
"a-l-e-c-k" is spelled correctly. I should know......I've been called it so many times when I was a kid I looked it up in the dictionary.:D

smart aleck
One entry found.
Ads by Google

Main Entry: smart al·eck
Variant(s): also smart al·ec \ˈsmärt-ˌa-lik, -ˌe-\
Function: noun
Etymology: Aleck, nickname for Alexander
Date: 1865

: an obnoxiously conceited and self-assertive person with pretensions to smartness or cleverness

— smart–aleck adjective

— smart–al·ecky \-ˌa-lə-kē, -ˌe-\ adjective

BwdLion73
01-21-2010, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
You, sir, are in the wrong place!

:D

SintonFan
01-21-2010, 10:12 PM

Seriously, FF...
can it be as simple as most of American's just might be tired of seeing actual "Pants on the Ground"?:p

Farmersfan
01-22-2010, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Seriously, FF...
can it be as simple as most of American's just might be tired of seeing actual "Pants on the Ground"?:p

That is a possibility!

But if it is truly what you say then the message is what is important and not the social conditioning or what we are told to think, right?

So how would America respond if a elderly WHITE MAN got on that show and sang the exact same song?????

Phantom Stang
01-22-2010, 11:51 AM

So how would America respond if a elderly WHITE MAN got on that show and sang the exact same song?????
As a lot of WHITE BOYS have the same affliction, I'd imagine that if he was a white man, he still would have been a hit.;)

Well, maybe not the "gold in your mouth" part.:hairpunk:

Farmersfan
01-22-2010, 01:27 PM
As a lot of WHITE BOYS have the same affliction, I'd imagine that if he was a white man, he still would have been a hit.;)

Well, maybe not the "gold in your mouth" part.:hairpunk:

I have to say Stang, I am really surprised that even ONE person would disagree with my previous point. Care to explain?

Phantom Stang
01-22-2010, 01:57 PM
I have to say Stang, I am really surprised that even ONE person would disagree with my previous point. Care to explain?
Feller, you take yourself way too serious. You asked what you asked, and I answered what I answered. No explanation necessary.
Lighten up.

By the way, my first name is Phantom. If you insist on calling me by my family name, at least show the courtesy to put "mister" before it.:p

Farmersfan
01-22-2010, 02:32 PM
Feller, you take yourself way too serious. You asked what you asked, and I answered what I answered. No explanation necessary.
Lighten up.

By the way, my first name is Phantom. If you insist on calling me by my family name, at least show the courtesy to put "mister" before it.:p

Alrighty Then!!!!!!!

If I didn't know any better I would think your family name was Lecter by the way you just bit my head off!!!! :D :D :D
Would you like some fava beans and a nice chianti to go with that?

Phantom Stang
01-22-2010, 04:18 PM
Alrighty Then!!!!!!!

If I didn't know any better I would think your family name was Lecter by the way you just bit my head off!!!! :D :D :D
Would you like some fava beans and a nice chianti to go with that?
Thanks!!
I feel flattered in a very sick way.:D

SintonFan
01-22-2010, 09:35 PM

I disagreed with you hence the response:

That is a possibility!

But if it is truly what you say then the message is what is important and not the social conditioning or what we are told to think, right?

Everyone here knew you were fishing for a certain response...
and no one bit.
I don't see any of these fine folks as racists.

Ranger Mom
01-22-2010, 10:46 PM
I disagreed with you hence the response:

Everyone here knew you were fishing for a certain response...
and no one bit.
I don't see any of these fine folks as racists.

I never even thought of it in a "racial" manner....but of course, it's not in my personality to think of things in black and white...(pardon the pun!):)

SintonFan
01-22-2010, 10:50 PM
I never even thought of it in a "racial" manner....but of course, it's not in my personality to think of things in black and white...(pardon the pun!):)

I read all the replies and it did look like someone was fishing for a certain response. :thinking:

Ranger Mom
01-22-2010, 10:53 PM
I read all the replies and it did look like someone was fishing for a certain response. :thinking:

You are more astute than I am....but you have met me on more than one occasion....so you already know that!!

:p

SintonFan
01-22-2010, 11:00 PM
You are more astute than I am....but you have met me on more than one occasion....so you already know that!!

:p

Nah...
I have just learned to value wisdom... guy style.:D
You still rock K!:clap::cool:

Txbroadcaster
01-22-2010, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

uhh i said it right here and believe 100% if it had been an old white manb doing it..half the people would find it funny..half would find it racisist and I bet Idol would not even have shown it