PDA

View Full Version : Mississippi Newspaper Article on Colt McCoy

BreckTxLonghorn
01-13-2010, 11:41 AM
....from a town right on the Alabama border. There's more to life than football, and this columnist does a wonderful job writing about a player that made (and still makes) every Texas fan proud.

http://www.meridianstar.com/opinion/local_story_010002117.html/resources_printstory

Colt McCoy: a national champion with or without the crystal trophy
By Dr. Scott Elliott / guest columnist
January 10, 2010 12:19 am

— “For I know the plans I have for you. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you hope and a future.”
--JER. 29-11

With apologies to our understandably proud and jubilant Crimson Tide faithful, the University of Alabama , to me, wasn’t the biggest winner in Thursday night’s BCS national championship football game.

That distinction went to a young man from Tuscola , Texas , named Colt McCoy.

Colt McCoy! Are you crazy, you say?

Yes, Colt McCoy, the Longhorns’ All-American quarterback who suffered an injury on the game’s opening drive, knocking him out of the remainder of the contest. The same Colt McCoy who won more games as a starting quarterback than anyone in the history of NCAA Division I football.

Yet, you may ask, how in the world can you argue that Colt McCoy was the game’s biggest winner? After all, he hardly even played.

In reply, I would reference the young man’s post-game interview before millions upon millions of people who watched the nationally-televised matchup. The reporter asked McCoy, “How did you feel, watching the game from the sidelines?”

Smarting from a shoulder injury that numbed his cannon-like throwing arm after being hit by Alabama’s Marcell Dareus, McCoy kind of gazed up in the night sky, cleared his throat a couple of times trying to fight back emotion, and couldn’t really respond for five or six seconds. Finally, the recipient of the prestigious Maxwell Award acknowledged that “it was unfortunate that I didn’t get to play” and that he “would have given everything I had to be out there with my teammates.” He then congratulated Alabama and later called the Tide “a tremendous football team.”
But what he said next was the real clincher. Still makes me a little misty-eyed. He told the interviewer, “I always give God the glory. I never question why things happen the way they do. I know God is in control of my life, and I also know, if nothing else, that I’m standing on the rock.”

Now, folks, let’s think about the profound nature of that response. Here’s a kid who always seemed destined to play in that national championship game. My goodness, with a name like Colt McCoy, he was born to be the gun slinging quarterback of the fabled Burnt Orange. His entire experience playing junior high, high school, and college football had been vested toward Thursday night, Jan. 7, 2010, in Pasadena , California ’s Rose Bowl.

And he got to play one ill-fated series. One.

Now, the 6-2, 210-pound Heisman finalist completed over 70 percent of his passes and threw for 112 touchdowns and 13,253 yards in his storied college career. Just phenomenal. Those accomplishments aside, in his post-game interview, the Longhorn quarterback hurled the most important scoring pass of his life - a real “Hail, Mary,” if there ever was one. Despite his obvious and deep disappointment, Colt McCoy came through like a true champion for his God, giving praise and thanks even in bitter defeat. Notwithstanding religion, he taught the nation a lesson in class and humility.

You know, as all of us progress through this life, we experience what some call “defining moments.” It’s those crossroads episodes that establish, for good or bad, whatever legacy we leave on this Earth. Most of us will never have a national television audience, like Colt McCoy, when our defining moments come, but I have a feeling, in God’s eyes, that a street corner ministering to just one other human being might do.
Colt McCoy may never become a star in the National Football League, although I suspect he will. Nonetheless, in this age of professional athletes having well-publicized extra-marital affairs, brandishing guns in locker rooms, lying to grand juries, and using performance-enhancing drugs, Colt McCoy is a star on a stage far transcending any football field. No, he never got to hold that coveted crystal trophy, but Thursday night he made a resounding statement to the youth of America about what it really means to be a winner.

And I know God will continue to bless him for that.

Copyright © 1999-2010 cnhi, inc.

pirate4state
01-13-2010, 12:08 PM
wow, very nice

waterboy
01-13-2010, 12:22 PM
:clap: Wow! No kidding, that IS nice!:clap: I listened to that interview and thought, "Man, I never really knew just how good a feller he is." I look forward to seeing him play in the NFL, and I hope he makes it.......which I suspect he will. Even if he doesn't make it in the NFL he will be just fine.:clap:

Ranger Mom
01-13-2010, 12:23 PM
He is very inspirational.

Have you checked out his story on I am Second (http://iamsecond.com) ?

Txbroadcaster
01-13-2010, 12:27 PM
I love Colt..but IMO he is closing to treading into Tebow land with all the coverage. I always liked how Colt was NOT always in the press with his faith, now he is being pushed into it and I hope it dies down some

Pick6
01-13-2010, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I love Colt..but IMO he is closing to treading into Tebow land with all the coverage. I always liked how Colt was NOT always in the press with his faith, now he is being pushed into it and I hope it dies down some

I wish more would wear it on their sleeves. Be proud and loud about it. Give thanks to where it belongs. God is great!!!

Txbroadcaster
01-13-2010, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
I wish more would wear it on their sleeves. Be proud and loud about it. Give thanks to where it belongs. God is great!!!

no..I dont mean HIM..I mean how the press covers it..I never have blamed Tebow, but how the press makes them hoiler than thou which in turn leads them to nowhere but down.

BreckTxLonghorn
01-13-2010, 12:44 PM

To me, the difference is, the media is coming to Colt. He's a quieter person, but won't back down when asked about it. Tebow had more of an evangelical upbringing (NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT), and so was more upfront with it in how he said and integrated it into questions.

I haven't seen much of the media playing the religion card in the first place though. This is the first article I've seen to where it was about Colt's faith primarily. The media have tried to play it before (Rick Reilly did an article preseason, and tons of people read it), but it just didn't catch steam, again, because Colt doesn't go to the forefront every time he speaks about it.

Pick6
01-13-2010, 12:50 PM
no..I dont mean HIM..I mean how the press covers it..I never have blamed Tebow, but how the press makes them hoiler than thou which in turn leads them to nowhere but down.

Gotcha, makes sense :thumbsup:

TheDOCTORdre
01-13-2010, 03:52 PM
Win or lose for McCoy, the victory is always the Lord's. Its great to see a man be proud to display his religous beliefs and convictions when the going is good, but it is so much more a testament to his faith when he displays it in what may have been his darkest hours concerning football.

beartwin
01-13-2010, 04:52 PM
I LOVED seeing Colt McCoy stand up for his beliefs. I remember when Matt Leinhart made the comment 4 years ago about how his team should've won because they were "the better team"...whatever that means. I definitely think that what Colt said is much more classy and makes him a great guy. :) Give God the glory. :)

wimbo_pro
01-13-2010, 05:26 PM
This is the type of class and honor in winning AND losing that we all hope our young boys and girls in high school absorb while they play sports. This is the main reason for HS sports, in my opinion.

Gobbla2001
01-13-2010, 07:28 PM
Whether you believe in God or not you have to admire a guy thinking outside of what had just happened on that field...

oh yah, I had a text-message arguement with a lady-friend-Bama fan last night... she a.) thought Colt faked his injury (with no logical explanation, it was truely pissing me off how she was just talking out of her ass) and b.) thought his emotions during the post-game interview were fake...

I pulled a Colt... almost let the moment get to me, but realized it was just a player and a game we were arguing about and came out the better person... though I honestly feel like getting that started up again right now... okay I'm getting pissed... HELP ME COLT HELP ME!

eagles_victory
01-13-2010, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Whether you believe in God or not you have to admire a guy thinking outside of what had just happened on that field...

oh yah, I had a text-message arguement with a lady-friend-Bama fan last night... she a.) thought Colt faked his injury (with no logical explanation, it was truely pissing me off how she was just talking out of her ass) and b.) thought his emotions during the post-game interview were fake...

I pulled a Colt... almost let the moment get to me, but realized it was just a player and a game we were arguing about and came out the better person... though I honestly feel like getting that started up again right now... okay I'm getting pissed... HELP ME COLT HELP ME! What does he have to gain by faking an injury?

Gobbla2001
01-13-2010, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
What does he have to gain by faking an injury?

she doesn't know...

her biggest argument was: "the hit wasn't even that hard, he just got scared and didn't want to come back in and lose"... but she was dead serious, that's the scary part...

it was pretty ruh-tarded... I thought she was a lot smarter than that... out of all of the times Colt McCoy's been hit, that was the last one you'd expect to make him leave a game... that was my argument for it being serious...

I then got rude and said "though you're built like a linebacker, you know little about playing football"... this is when I called and smoothed things over... don't like burnin' bridges over such things...

Emerson1
01-13-2010, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001

I then got rude and said "though you're built like a linebacker, you know little about playing football"... this is when I called and smoothed things over... don't like burnin' bridges over such things...

I don't think I've ever laughed harder reading something on this site then what I just did.