PDA

View Full Version : Honor Among Thieves? (Sports Contracts)

Bullaholic
01-13-2010, 09:57 AM
Seems like everytime there is an HC opening at a major college school, or an NFL player or coach becomes unhappy, the "claim-jumping" episodes begin. I'm beginning to wonder why there are any contracts in the sports world at all---seems like they mean nothing, and they are definitely structured much to the benefit of coaches and players. Are we so ga-ga over getting talent in the sports world that all vesitiges of honor have just gone away? What do you think?

Txbroadcaster
01-13-2010, 10:01 AM
honor? Schools/NFL teams can and do fire coaches just as much as the coaches leave.

As far as the players..I dont blame them. They have a very short window to earn as much as they can. If they get a shot then IMO they have to go for it.

The honor of the past was simply because the structure of the league gave all the power to the teams to use the players how they wanted and get rid of them when they wanted.

Bullaholic
01-13-2010, 10:07 AM
I think generally that colleges usually fire coaches for long-term
poor performance or behavior that is considered unacceptable in almost anyone's book. Players and coaches jump ship because they are unhappy, and mostly because there is more money being offered. If colleges can pursue coaches with impunity and coaches can change schools on a whim, why bother to sign contracts?

Txbroadcaster
01-13-2010, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I think generally that colleges usually fire coaches for long-term
poor performance or behavior that is considered unacceptable in almost anyone's book. Players and coaches jump ship because they are unhappy, and mostly because there is more money being offered. If colleges can pursue coaches with impunity and coaches can change schools on a whim, why bother to sign contracts?

you really think every time a school or NFL team fires a coach it is for good reason?

Bullaholic
01-13-2010, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
you really think every time a school or NFL team fires a coach it is for good reason?

Generally---yes--along the lines of the two most prevalent firing causes that I stated. You know of any other large nos. of coach firings that don't fit those parameters?

Txbroadcaster
01-13-2010, 10:26 AM
Generally---yes--along the lines of the two most prevalent firing causes that I stated. You know of any other large nos. of coach firings that don't fit those parameters?

Your parameters are not easily quantified because they are not something that is proven. An AD can say well we fired coach so-so because we were not happy with the results and that cant be proven because W-L record does not always tell the truth about how well or not well a coach is doing.

Bullaholic
01-13-2010, 10:30 AM
Your parameters are not easily quantified because they are not something that is proven. An AD can say well we fired coach so-so because we were not happy with the results and that cant be proven because W-L record does not always tell the truth about how well or not well a coach is doing.

That's splitting hairs, TXB---I ain't Farmer....:D

Pick6
01-13-2010, 10:36 AM
W-L record does not always tell the truth about how well or not well a coach is doing.

Unfortunately the sports world has become a win or get fired job. Winning at all cost is the new mentality. Try hard and do your best doesn't seem to fit in alot of people anymore.

Txbroadcaster
01-13-2010, 10:38 AM
That's splitting hairs, TXB---I ain't Farmer....:D

lol..no it really is not

A school or pro team can fire who they want and honestly say well we werent happy with the results and there is no way to prove them right or wrong.

Maybe a coach averages 8-3 and the AD thinks they should be able to be a 10-1 type of school

Maybe a coach averages 6-5 in a rebuilding mode and the AD thinks they should be rebuilding faster.

It is all opinion and not fact that the coach was doing well or not doing well