PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have pipes bust over the weekend?

big daddy russ
01-13-2010, 12:24 AM
I was in D/FW for a wedding when my wife called me and told me that our house was a temporary swimming pool.

Everyone else survive the weather?

BreckTxLonghorn
01-13-2010, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I was in D/FW for a wedding when my wife called me and told me that our house was a temporary swimming pool.

Everyone else survive the weather?

I have no idea how, but I did.

Left Tuesday night to Houston, flew Wednesday to Cali, back to Houston on Friday, then Austin back on Monday morning. I took no precautions because when I left it was when the 40s and I only looked at the forecast for California. Needless to say, Austin had its coldest days in the past year; but somehow my rickety 30 yr old condo survived. Hallelujah, I didn't want to replace my floor for the second time in 8 months!

poisoned10
01-13-2010, 10:38 AM
We have made it with no busted pipes, so far. My in-laws weren't so lucky though.

From what I've been hearing, there have been a lot of people in the Tyler area with busted pipes.

big daddy russ
01-13-2010, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
I have no idea how, but I did.

Left Tuesday night to Houston, flew Wednesday to Cali, back to Houston on Friday, then Austin back on Monday morning. I took no precautions because when I left it was when the 40s and I only looked at the forecast for California. Needless to say, Austin had its coldest days in the past year; but somehow my rickety 30 yr old condo survived. Hallelujah, I didn't want to replace my floor for the second time in 8 months!
Good stuff, man. And on top of it all, you have an awesome story to tell.

I was actually at the wedding of a Breckenridge boy on Saturday.

Originally posted by poisoned10
We have made it with no busted pipes, so far. My in-laws weren't so lucky though.

From what I've been hearing, there have been a lot of people in the Tyler area with busted pipes.
I hope your in-laws make it through smelling like roses.

BwdLion73
01-13-2010, 12:39 PM
I had one rusted older pipe that went to an outside faucet, however it was a quick 5 minute fix. Showed 6 degrees on my deck at Lake Brownwood.

I did notice went I went to Home Depot for a part there were about 50 people crammed in the Plumbing supply Isle. :thinking:

ziggy29
01-13-2010, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by BwdLion73
I did notice went I went to Home Depot for a part there were about 50 people crammed in the Plumbing supply Isle. :thinking:
I had one thing break, out in the garage -- a plastic 4-way hose splitter which I forgot to detach from the nozzle. :doh:

Fortunately, it was a cheap and easy part to replace and, figuring there would be a run on plumbing supplies at local hardware stores, I ordered a brass replacement using Amazon Prime and upgraded $4 overnight delivery. Plus I didn't have to drive 30+ miles just to find out they were sold out of it all.

Farmersfan
01-13-2010, 02:22 PM
I have a detached laundry/storage room. I covered all the outside fixtures but didn't think anything about the inside plumbing. Saturday evening my wife tried to start the washing machine but it had no water. I got up on Sunday morning and lit the gas heater that is in the laundry room to let it warm up inside. About 3 hours later I go out to check and I run into a river in the Carport, garage and the laundry room was flooded. Afterwards I discovered that the plastic water valve on the laundry machine itself had frozen and cracked. Seeing as it was a very old machine I needed a new one anyway so it wasn't that big of an issue (except everything in storage got wet).

waterboy
01-14-2010, 03:43 PM
Yep, I had an outdoor faucet bust. It was insulated once, covered in another bigger PVC pipe, insulated again, and covered completely.........and still burst. It happened Sunday afternoon when the big thaw came. It wouldn't have been a big deal, but I went out to the meter to shut the water off, only to find the valve buried under 8" of mud inside the meter housing.:eek: I had to dig the mud out, which took awhile (probably 10-15 minutes), before I could even shut the water off. I didn't have the part I needed to fix the faucet, but I did have a cap........thank God.

skins4life
01-16-2010, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
Yep, I had an outdoor faucet bust. It was insulated once, covered in another bigger PVC pipe, insulated again, and covered completely.........and still burst. It happened Sunday afternoon when the big thaw came. It wouldn't have been a big deal, but I went out to the meter to shut the water off, only to find the valve buried under 8" of mud inside the meter housing.:eek: I had to dig the mud out, which took awhile (probably 10-15 minutes), before I could even shut the water off. I didn't have the part I needed to fix the faucet, but I did have a cap........thank God.

And the water company as been "READING" the meter every month :eek: :eek: with it covered in mud, right?

waterboy
01-18-2010, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by skins4life
And the water company as been "READING" the meter every month :eek: :eek: with it covered in mud, right?
Yep, they just do a "drive-by reading"........:doh: It's an electronic meter that can be read without opening the housing....

SintonFan
01-21-2010, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by waterboy

Dangit. Gives another meaning to "waterboy" doesn't it?:D

I have copper pipe throughout my house and didn't have one burst(got down to 13 degrees). I did drip all the end lines inside and out with the big freeze. Was told later, that having copper pipe, I didn't need it dripping but I can't confirm this.
Plastic is a major problem for busting imho.