PDA

View Full Version : No more Rocky Top, Kiffin to USC

rangerjoe33
01-12-2010, 08:42 PM
NM

eagles_victory
01-12-2010, 08:50 PM
not a fan but not surprised Im actually a little shocked we didn't hear his name mentioned sooner.

LE Dad
01-12-2010, 08:50 PM
Wow, I wonder how many verbals are going with him? He had one bad a$$ class coming into Knoxville.

Oh well....

Mike Leach to UT:D

Old Tiger
01-12-2010, 08:52 PM
So they hire a guy who was leading a program in Tennessee to a likely probation to a program who is about to be sanctioned by the NCAA?

SWMustang
01-12-2010, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
So they hire a guy who was leading a program in Tennessee to a likely probation to a program who is about to be sanctioned by the NCAA?

they wanted one of "their" kind of guys.

eagles_victory
01-12-2010, 08:56 PM
My first thought Lane Kiffin? Id rather have Casey Lane running my program

turbostud
01-12-2010, 08:59 PM
Isnt his dad the D coodinator at Tenn?

eagles_victory
01-12-2010, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by turbostud
Isnt his dad the D coodinator at Tenn? He brought him to Tenn with him may very well take him to SC with him.

As for, Leach to Tennessee I think there was some talk about that last year but I believe teams will stay away from Leach at least for a year and let the dust settle a little I think the only place Leach is a head coach at next year is with the Oakland Raiders.

rangerjoe33
01-12-2010, 09:03 PM
Yes, Monty is going along also.

bobcat4life
01-12-2010, 09:06 PM
I would rather be at Tennessee. He is dumb for leaving. I want them to get the death penalty after all that has happened there...

DDBooger
01-12-2010, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by bobcat4life
I would rather be at Tennessee. He is dumb for leaving. I want them to get the death penalty after all that has happened there... Like USC or not, they have talent, they do underperform at times but with a coach like Monty Kiffen running that defense, they should be pretty good.

eagles_victory
01-12-2010, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by bobcat4life
I would rather be at Tennessee. He is dumb for leaving. I want them to get the death penalty after all that has happened there...

Why would you rather be at Tennessee?

At best at Tennessee your on the 4th rung of the ladder behind Florida, Alabama, and LSU. At USC even though they were down a little this year their clearly the number 1 program in the Pac 10

LA > Knoxville

You have more talent right now and have a much easier job recruiting

USC is a media darling which helps in so many aspects.

rangerjoe33
01-12-2010, 09:35 PM
Makes no difference to me one way or another. I think USC is probably paying a huge amount for Kiffin. I would not be surprised if they do not immediately disclose the contract terms.

USC really had no choice but to go big here, they have too many recruits that are reconsidering committments already, they had to act fast.

Tennessee folks are going to be very, very upset. There for one year, lots of promise, and now...no Fulmer, no Kiffin, they need a new warden, there's gonna be a riot in the yard.

LH Panther Mom
01-12-2010, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
My first thought Lane Kiffin? Id rather have Casey Lane running my program
Are you nuts? :D

Tx Challenge
01-12-2010, 10:13 PM
I am not a fan of Kiffin at all so I might be bias. I realize USC might be headed for heavy sanctions. Still think USC could have got a better coach.

This also sets TN back. Hate those one year coaches.

coach
01-12-2010, 10:18 PM
he probably left bc he knows he cant compete in the sec...so much for singing rocky top after the beat florida....what a joke and a dumb hire by usc

Tx Challenge
01-12-2010, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by coach
he probably left bc he knows he cant compete in the sec...so much for singing rocky top after the beat florida....what a joke and a dumb hire by usc

His Rocky Top remarks pretty much says it all. Was not a USC fan before, but I really am not now!

NastySlot
01-12-2010, 11:09 PM
heard daddy is going with him and so is ogereon (sp)...........rumor norm chow might be joining them also

Spread It Out
01-13-2010, 02:47 AM
If I were a Tennessee player I'd be ticked off. A guy who comes in with all these promises and says all these great things he wants to do and then leaves after one year. I really don't believe this was a good hire for SC. Kiffin hasn't proved much being a HC and he gets a lot of bad media attention, which SC can not afford right now. One thing he does bring to the table though is that he is a great recruiter. It'll be interesting how recruiting classes end up on signing day for both Tenn and USC.

TexMike
01-13-2010, 08:15 AM
I suspect it does not take much to be a great recruiter at USC because:
1 - The USC mystique is still alive no matter how "poorly" they have done in recent years
2- California is loaded with football talent so you would not even have to get many ouit of state recruits to stay on top
3 - USC = LA = Holloywood ="The bright lights" for many young kids
4 - Can you imagine what the sights on the USC campus look like in Spring and Summer as you take your testosterone-charged 17 and 18 year olds around and all the coeds are prancing around?

gatordaze
01-13-2010, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by TexMike
I suspect it does not take much to be a great recruiter at USC because:
1 - The USC mystique is still alive no matter how "poorly" they have done in recent years
2- California is loaded with football talent so you would not even have to get many ouit of state recruits to stay on top
3 - USC = LA = Holloywood ="The bright lights" for many young kids
4 - Can you imagine what the sights on the USC campus look like in Spring and Summer as you take your testosterone-charged 17 and 18 year olds around and all the coeds are prancing around?

4- How many do you need? Ever been on campus at any large school in the South? Tennessee is not bad in that department.

Z-RO
01-13-2010, 10:56 AM
http://i.tsn.com/i/photos/20100113/133663.gif

jockcity33
01-13-2010, 11:38 AM
I bet all that Kiffin would have to do to impress a recruit is take his wife with him on recruiting trips.

STANG RED
01-13-2010, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
Wow, I wonder how many verbals are going with him? He had one bad a$$ class coming into Knoxville.
Oh well....
Mike Leach to UT:D

They called all of them the night before, told them not to go to class, so they can be free to now go to USC and not have to set out a season. What a class guy.
If I had a blue chip son at home, and that SOB tried coming into my house, I'd throw him out on his butt.

eagles_victory
01-13-2010, 01:56 PM
Kiffin isn't a bad coach imo he had Tennessee back to respectability in the SEC in one year with very little talent (offensively compared to the rest of the conference). I think he was a good hire as far as football wise but his attitude and demeanor is a far different story.

shamu85
01-13-2010, 02:22 PM
I am not a big fan of Kiffin either. He just seems too cocky for not having really done anything but get fired from the Raiders. I have a feeling his mouth is not gonna help USC in this time of uncertainty around all their violations either.

As for Tennessee hiring Leach, I think they would definitely give him a look. I don't think Leach is damaged goods at all, and Tennessee might be a great fit for Leach's offense.

eagles_victory
01-13-2010, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by shamu85
I am not a big fan of Kiffin either. He just seems too cocky for not having really done anything but get fired from the Raiders. I have a feeling his mouth is not gonna help USC in this time of uncertainty around all their violations either.

As for Tennessee hiring Leach, I think they would definitely give him a look. I don't think Leach is damaged goods at all, and Tennessee might be a great fit for Leach's offense. Rumor around is that South Florida contacted Leach.

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-13-2010, 06:34 PM
DId anyone reads Forde's article on ESPN?

haha he said Paris Hilton has paid more dues than Kiffin.

LE Dad
01-13-2010, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
They called all of them the night before, told them not to go to class, so they can be free to now go to USC and not have to set out a season. What a class guy.
If I had a blue chip son at home, and that SOB tried coming into my house, I'd throw him out on his butt. That is SORRY. He is a new addition to my "People I used to respect" list. He had an outstaning receiver from Cali going to Tenn. This kid is another Crabtree. Now what are those kids who went there because he was building UT back going to do? This year is a loss recruiting wise. Chances are the kids he promised the world to are never going to have much success. Kiffen seems to be making sure of that.

LE Dad
01-13-2010, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by shamu85

As for Tennessee hiring Leach, I think they would definitely give him a look. I don't think Leach is damaged goods at all, and Tennessee might be a great fit for Leach's offense. Leach will land somewhere. He will be footballs Bobby Knight. I think anyone who needs a coach and looks at what he did to build that program vs what he "did" to get fired will give him a shot. Plus he won't walk out after a year.

SHSBulldog00
01-14-2010, 11:25 AM
This really scews Tennessee right before Signing Day. Muschamp is the target for the Vols, what else is new?