PDA

View Full Version : Old School Coaching

Bullaholic
01-12-2010, 03:10 PM
Old guys like me love to talk about "old school" coaching---the kind where an old, rough talking, but honorable coach
employs somewhat tough tactics to gain the respect and performance of his team. Can this be done anymore without a big controversy or even disciplinary action being taken against the coach by parents and/or the school district?

Would running laps, extra windsprints, or running bleachers for disciplinary reasons be considered over the line by todays standards?

How about mild profanity, off-color jokes or expressions, or limited physical contact?

JJWalker
01-12-2010, 04:57 PM
If there is a coach like that out there.

They had better just resign themselves to collecting a paycheck and baby sitting the lil' darlins on Friday nights.

We live in a grey country now. Red, White and Blue mean nothing. And, there is no black and white.

Trashman
01-12-2010, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Old guys like me love to talk about "old school" coaching---the kind where an old, rough talking, but honorable coach
employs somewhat tough tactics to gain the respect and performance of his team. Can this be done anymore without a big controversy or even disciplinary action being taken against the coach by parents and/or the school district?

Would running laps, extra windsprints, or running bleachers for disciplinary reasons be considered over the line by todays standards?

How about mild profanity, off-color jokes or expressions, or limited physical contact?

That form of coaching died in 1979.:thinking:

12thMan
01-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
That form of coaching died in 1979.:thinking:

That's the year I was born.:D

TheDOCTORdre
01-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by 12thMan
That's the year I was born.:D

they say when something dies, the world is given back that same thing in a different form. IMO if you are what we got in return for the old school style of coaching, we got robbed:D

12thMan
01-12-2010, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
they say when something dies, the world is given back that same thing in a different form. IMO if you are what we got in return for the old school style of coaching, we got robbed:D

LOL! I actually enjoy the old school style.

LH Panther Mom
01-12-2010, 09:09 PM
Halos & bear crawls are frequent punishments here, not to mention running 20-miles for certain offenses.

Me: "Son, what happened to your knee?"
Son: "Nothing"
Me: "Right....how do you explain the dried blood all up and down your shin?"
Son: "Oh that. Bear crawls"
Me: "Who did what?"
Son: "So and so did such and such"
Me: "Oh well. At some point they'll stop because they're tired of bear crawls or they're tired of everybody else being mad that they caused them to do bear crawls"

Other parents: :bigcry: :weeping: :bigcry: :foul: :foul:

bowleghorses
01-13-2010, 12:56 PM
The coach at my kids school here in Louisiana is like that...I love the guy and what he has instilled in my boys. He also treats them all the same from the studs to the little guy trying to make the team. His theory is that if your not going to do what is necessary to get the job done, then he will do it with someone else who will try...I have personally seen him send his star running back down the road for not giving his all.:clap: :clap: