PDA

View Full Version : McGwire used steroids? No way!

kepdawg
01-11-2010, 03:21 PM
:eek:

LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4816607)

kaorder1999
01-11-2010, 03:37 PM
he wasnt in a position five years ago to be honest? give me a break.

LE Dad
01-11-2010, 03:52 PM
Mark McGwire was like the neighborhood holigan. You knew was doing something, but you could never catch him. Now some years later he comes and tells you "I did that". Tell me something i I didn't know you little :foul: :foul:er!!

I wonder if this is his attempt to repent at hopes of gaining HOF votes :confused:

crzyjournalist03
01-11-2010, 04:21 PM
I'm not going to be nearly as harsh as some people on here already have been.

I for one can understand that it can be very difficult to tell the truth sometimes. I can also understand that it sometimes takes considerable time in order for someone to muster the inner gumption to come forward and admit something that they know tarnishes their reputation.

If you've ever personally had an addiction of any kind, or if you've ever known someone who has, you know that it can be a long an tenuous healing process.

I applaud McGwire for finally coming forward and admitting what he did. Personally, I don't believe that it's any of my business to know why it took him so long, but I don't want to be judgmental toward him for it taking so long.

If I had a Hall of Fame vote, he'd have gotten mine from the beginning. Now I hope that his honesty can change the opinions of the fickle writers.

Ranger Mom
01-11-2010, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I'm not going to be nearly as harsh as some people on here already have been.

I for one can understand that it can be very difficult to tell the truth sometimes. I can also understand that it sometimes takes considerable time in order for someone to muster the inner gumption to come forward and admit something that they know tarnishes their reputation.

If you've ever personally had an addiction of any kind, or if you've ever known someone who has, you know that it can be a long an tenuous healing process.

I applaud McGwire for finally coming forward and admitting what he did. Personally, I don't believe that it's any of my business to know why it took him so long, but I don't want to be judgmental toward him for it taking so long.

If I had a Hall of Fame vote, he'd have gotten mine from the beginning. Now I hope that his honesty can change the opinions of the fickle writers.

Man......you just took all the fun out of it!!:(

crzyjournalist03
01-11-2010, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Man......you just took all the fun out of it!!:(

I'm sorry. I'm sure there's someone out there who disagrees and will start up a good argument soon enough! :evil:

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-11-2010, 04:35 PM
I'm sorry. I'm sure there's someone out there who disagrees and will start up a good argument soon enough! :evil:

I actually agree, they all did it, at least he has finally admitted it. Up next Barry Bonds. :)

TheDOCTORdre
01-11-2010, 04:43 PM
Pete Rose deserves to be in the HOF before McGwire

crzyjournalist03
01-11-2010, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
Pete Rose deserves to be in the HOF before McGwire

Pete Rose isn't eligible. Mark McGwire is. If Pete Rose were eligible, he should be in too. But that's a different animal altogether.

crzyjournalist03
01-11-2010, 04:51 PM
In the spirit of full disclosure, I should point out that I also have this sitting in my office cubicle:

http://cdn1.ioffer.com/img/1112684400/_i/6357357/1.jpg

It sits right next to the matching Sammy Sosa figure.

Gobbler Fan
01-11-2010, 04:57 PM
MILK it does a body good ... :( :devil:

Phil C
01-11-2010, 05:04 PM
:eek: :(

TheDOCTORdre
01-11-2010, 05:04 PM
I always lik to throw Pete Rose into the discussion:D

LE Dad
01-11-2010, 06:51 PM
If you've ever personally had an addiction of any kind, or if you've ever known someone who has, you know that it can be a long an tenuous healing process... Steriods are not an addiction. They are a performance enhancing substance. I know addicts and i know people who take steroids and believe me they are 2 different types of people.
Rose comes closer to meeting an addictive personality than McGwire.:thinking:

LE Dad
01-11-2010, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
I always lik to throw Pete Rose into the discussion:D Not much of a Rose fan either, but I agree if McGwire goes in it should be after Rose. Rose did no more than McGwire when it comes to harming the games image and he did just as much to promote it. They both admitted to breaking, or at the very least bending the rules.

Pete for HOF:thinking: I will get back with you:p

McGwire HOF :confused: Ummm... NO:dispntd: :dispntd:

Gobbla2001
01-11-2010, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
Steriods are not an addiction.

You're right... but it is a drug that you can probably become addicted to... ask the lab-hampsters...

---------

anyhoo, if I had a vote and I felt Mark McGwire's career numbers were HOF material I'da already voted for him, if nothing else because the run for the record may (MAY) have saved baseball for that time...

As for him taking so long to tell the truth: stop finding something to gripe about... he never lied to us about it (pleaded the fiziff) and it took him a while to fess up... the man just came out and admitted guilt in something that is widely frowned upon, cut him some slack...

now don't get me wrong, I'm not going to applaud him for coming out and telling the truth, that sort of thing should be expected... but I'm sure as hell not going to bash him for the length in time it took him to come out... that's just lame...

bobcat4life
01-11-2010, 09:48 PM
steroids can be very addictive. I have talked to many trainers who are very knowledgeable about these things. They cause alot of harm if they are not taken properly and cause an addiction very fast

STANG RED
01-12-2010, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by bobcat4life
steroids can be very addictive. I have talked to many trainers who are very knowledgeable about these things. They cause alot of harm if they are not taken properly and cause an addiction very fast

Is it an addiction to the chemicals in steroids, or to the quick and dramatic results that comes from using them? Not that it matters I guess. An addiction is an addiction for what ever reason. I'm just wondering.

thelegend02
01-12-2010, 09:26 AM
He said that he took steroids to get healthy! That is ridiculous. He got it to be stronger, bigger, faster, quicker. He said it didn't help him hit homeruns but the fact is being stronger makes the ball go further once you hit. Being quicker gets your bat through the zone to make the ball travel further. Either come out and say it truthfully or be like Adam James and get back in the closet.

forum_guy
01-12-2010, 02:33 PM
once again i don't fault anyone in the steriod era for doing them. If you know you could lock up a starting spot and increase a paycheck why not do them. That home run race was one of the greatest things in sports history.

thelegend02
01-12-2010, 02:57 PM
I agree. It was fun watching him and sosa go back and forth. I am just tired of people saying they used them to get healthy and that the steroids didn't make them bigger, faster, stronger. Just say yea I took steroids and they made be quicker and more explosive through the hitting zone. I would then be fine with that.

LE Dad
01-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by forum_guy
once again i don't fault anyone in the steriod era for doing them. If you know you could lock up a starting spot and increase a paycheck why not do them. That home run race was one of the greatest things in sports history. I can increase my paycheck by adding a few zeros behind it. I choose not to because I know that someone will find out and there will be consequences:thinking: Maybe McGwire could have used that logic.:confused: :confused:

IMO :D :p

pirate4state
01-12-2010, 03:31 PM
I watched his interview with Costas this morning and just rolled my eyes, but I'm a bitch that way. Mark - after all you've admitted, don't try and tell me that you aren't doing it to make nice with the voters! :hand: If you weren't trying to influence the voters, you'd have come clean a long time ago and wouldn't even bring it up now in your little tear filled speech. "I'm not doing this to influence the voters" or whatever the hell he said. Just don't mention it dude.

And Selig makes me sick. His comments were stupid. He probably wet himself when he found out Mark finally came out of the steriod closet.

fanofthegame
01-12-2010, 04:13 PM
makes me wonder what canseco is thinking right about now, "I told you so", man all of those guys knew who was juice'n back then. Canseco just had the guts to tell.

crzyjournalist03
01-12-2010, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by fanofthegame
makes me wonder what canseco is thinking right about now, "I told you so", man all of those guys knew who was juice'n back then. Canseco just had the guts to tell.

funny you should mention that...apparently Canseco is pissed and says that McGwire is still lying:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4819250

TheDOCTORdre
01-12-2010, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
:eek:

LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4816607)

in other news, " The Sky is Blue" followed by our in depth study that finds out "Dogs bark"

carter08
01-12-2010, 04:19 PM
In the spirit of full disclosure, I should point out that I also have this sitting in my office cubicle:

http://cdn1.ioffer.com/img/1112684400/_i/6357357/1.jpg

It sits right next to the matching Sammy Sosa figure.

Hey! I have that too!