PDA

View Full Version : Tuberville hired

LH Panther Mom
01-09-2010, 02:53 PM
Tuberville to be named Tech head coach
By Don Williams on January 9th, 2010

Former Mississippi and Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville has been hired as the next head football coach at Texas Tech, The Avalanche-Journal learned Saturday.

A news conference to announce his hiring is expected Sunday afternoon.

link (http://www.redraiders.com/2010/01/09/tuberville-to-be-named-tech-head-coach/)

NateDawg39
01-09-2010, 02:54 PM
Dang, I was hoping Scruffy Ruffy would get the job

3afan
01-09-2010, 03:18 PM
sort of a surprise ... read that ruf was the leading candidate

Additup
01-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
Dang, I was hoping Scruffy Ruffy would get the job
Wonder where he'll end up...

NateDawg39
01-09-2010, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Additup
Wonder where he'll end up... I think he deserved the job. Not real sure about Tuberville yet

Tx Challenge
01-09-2010, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Tuberville to be named Tech head coach
By Don Williams on January 9th, 2010

Former Mississippi and Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville has been hired as the next head football coach at Texas Tech, The Avalanche-Journal learned Saturday.

A news conference to announce his hiring is expected Sunday afternoon.

link (http://www.redraiders.com/2010/01/09/tuberville-to-be-named-tech-head-coach/)

:D :D

Told ya! How do you feel about it?

LE Dad
01-09-2010, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
I think he deserved the job. Not real sure about Tuberville yet Tuberville is a good coach. His downfall at Auburn was trying to install Spread O from scratch and going "duck hunting" in Arkansas while they were looking for a HC.:doh:

kepdawg
01-09-2010, 03:43 PM
Congrats Baylor!

LH Panther Mom
01-09-2010, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Tx Challenge
:D :D

Told ya! How do you feel about it?
Meh :p

I'm not quite sure what to think yet. I'll reserve judgement until I actually see him in action. I'll be interested to see what they're offering to pay him, since I know $$$$$$ has been a huge bone of contention with BoR, past & present. :thinking:

Tx Challenge
01-09-2010, 04:13 PM

I'm not quite sure what to think yet. I'll reserve judgement until I actually see him in action. I'll be interested to see what they're offering to pay him, since I know $$$$$$ has been a huge bone of contention with BoR, past & present. :thinking:

Tubbs was NOT the problem at Auburn.

Great coach? Hell yes...Great fit? IDk...We shall see..

WildTexan972
01-09-2010, 04:14 PM
his pay will be 5 years at 1.6 million a year

Ruffin did not "deserve" this job...he is a good man but he has not done much to EARN a HC job at a major BCS conference school...Ruffin is an East Carolina grad and they need a DC - maybe he goes for that

When Willis takes over as DC at Tech, if TT can keep the majority of the Air Raid, Tech will step up a level in a year or 2...

Snydertigersrul
01-09-2010, 04:15 PM

deal is reported to be for five years, but I doublt he stays that long. My hunch is that he wants back at a SEC school.

LH Panther Mom
01-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Tubbs was NOT the problem at Auburn.

Great coach? Hell yes...Great fit? IDk...We shall see..
I didn't say/think he was. :p The "great fit" is what I'm reserving judgement about...

Phantom Stang
01-09-2010, 04:33 PM
I didn't say/think he was. :p The "great fit" is what I'm reserving judgement about...
FWIW I read in an article earlier this week, that Tuberville said in his interview, he would continue Tech's offensive style, but would make some tweeks to the Defense.

marler1972
01-09-2010, 04:34 PM
If they have the same sucess on the offensive side of the ball and he brings in the SEC defense Tech will be tough. The question is will he be able to save the recruting class from this year?

Tx Challenge
01-09-2010, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by marler1972
If they have the same sucess on the offensive side of the ball and he brings in the SEC defense Tech will be tough. The question is will he be able to save the recruting class from this year?

Tubbs is a great defensive mind... I am interested to see this one play out..

Gobbla2001
01-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Wouldn't it be awesome if Tubs, on his first day, sent Adam James to a broom-closet? maybe that's just me...

anyhoo... saw some discussing whether or not Tomtub's a good fit for Tech... I really don't think a program like Tech is enough of a good program to require good and great coaches to be fits... the fact is Tech needs to be a "good/great fit" for Tubs... that's the question to be answered IMO and I think by Tommy Tuberville taking the job the question has been answered...

Gobbla2001
01-09-2010, 04:45 PM
Tubbs is a great defensive mind... I am interested to see this one play out..

If Tuberville doesn't go out of his way to change the offense, the Big 12 South will be a helluva lot more competitive in 3-4 years and I could see Tech getting them a title (let's start with conference)... the recruits might not be there his first year... but Tommy Tuberville will pick up the recruits he needs in the following couple of years... keeping that offense as close to the way it is now is pretty key...

LH Panther Mom
01-09-2010, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Wouldn't be awesome if Tubs, on his first day, sent Adam James to a broom-closet? maybe that's just me...
:evillol: :evillol: :evillol: :D

kepdawg
01-09-2010, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
If Tuberville doesn't go out of his way to change the offense, the Big 12 South will be a helluva lot more competitive in 3-4 years and I could see Tech getting them a title (let's start with conference)... the recruits might not be there his first year... but Tommy Tuberville will pick up the recruits he needs in the following couple of years... keeping that offense as close to the way it is now is pretty key...

He said he won't change the offense but he will run a little more. He said the offense is the niche that has made Tech what it is. He said right now Tech can get into any QB, WR, or OL living room. He said he wants to bring the defense up to the level of the offense.

Additup
01-09-2010, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
He said he won't change the offense but he will run a little more. He said the offense is the niche that has made Tech what it is. He said right now Tech can get into any QB, WR, or OL living room. He said he wants to bring the defense up to the level of the offense.

Quickest way to improve the defense (or appear to improve the defense) is to pass less. Defensive stats INSTANTLY (appear) to improve with fewer possession in a game and a game clock that runs for more plays than it's stopped...

STANG RED
01-09-2010, 07:15 PM
I may be wrong, and I hope I am, but I don’t think this was a good move at all. IMO the only good move Tech could make, and keep the most players and fans somewhat happy, would have been to give the job to Ruffin. All the players and fans seemed to love him, and wanted him to have the job. Obviously the admin doesn’t give a crap about what the players or fans think. So even if Tuberville is the greatest football coach in the world, he may be fighting off the field battles he cant win. I'm afraid he's been set up to fail, in a recipe for disaster. Sure hope I’m wrong though.

Eagle 1
01-09-2010, 07:38 PM
From what I have read, he should help the defense, but I dont know.
On the offense, it will never be the same without Leach calling the plays. Some people may not agree with this statement but I think nobody can call Leach's type of offense but Leach.
In Goldthwaite, we have won 4 state championships running the wishbone. Our hc calls all of the plays. IMO, nobody can call the wishbone plays like our coach, and the right play to exploit the defense. My point is that some coaches have a natural talent when comes to calling the offense, and Leach was certainly one of those coaches.
I still say he will end up as an OC in the NFL.

Now back to the new coach. Hopefully he comes to terms with the exsisting coaches at Tech and doesn't clean house.
I'm with LHPM, I'll reserve judgement until I actually see him in action.

LE Dad
01-09-2010, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I may be wrong, and I hope I am, but I don`t think this was a good move at all. IMO the only good move Tech could make, and keep the most players and fans somewhat happy, would have been to give the job to Ruffin. All the players and fans seemed to love him, and wanted him to have the job. Obviously the admin doesn`t give a crap about what the players or fans think. So even if Tuberville is the greatest football coach in the world, he may be fighting off the field battles he cant win. I'm afraid he's been set up to fail, in a recipe for disaster. Sure hope I`m wrong though. I think you may be right. I know Tubberville is a good coach, but for the most part he has been run oriented with some passing. The one time he did open up it didn't work.
I hope this works cause it looked like these kids were behind Ruffin the other night. Now they and all of the verbals are no doubt scratching their heads.

Aesculus gilmus
01-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Obviously the admin doesn’t give a crap about what the players or fans think.

The only way to counter this is to stop buying tickets to the games and not even watching any Tech game on TV. It would be similar to the growing movement to deprive the big Wall Street bank of deposits since they also have proven that they OWN the political system regardless of which party is in power in D.C. and thus do not give a damn what the people think.

http://moveyourmoney.info/

This is the only way to hit back in a system based on the almighty dollar.

I wasn't a Tech fan at all before Leach came. He got me interested in them and I rooted for them in every game they played except when they played my alma mater UT.

Now I will have no problem NOT following Texas Tech at all.

Aesculus gilmus
01-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Obviously the admin doesn’t give a crap about what the players or fans think.

The only way to counter this is to stop buying tickets to the games and not even watching any Tech game on TV. It would be similar to the growing movement to deprive the big Wall Street banks of deposits since they also have proven that they OWN the political system regardless of which party is in power in D.C. and thus do not give a damn what the people think.

http://moveyourmoney.info/

This is the only way to hit back in a system based on the almighty dollar.

I wasn't a Tech fan at all before Leach came. He got me interested in them and I rooted for them in every game they played except when they played my alma mater UT.

Now I will have no problem NOT following Texas Tech at all.

YTBulldogs
01-10-2010, 01:18 PM
Tech and boring ball don't sound right. But, get ready. Nice run Tech.

NateDawg39
01-10-2010, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by YTBulldogs
Tech and boring ball don't sound right. But, get ready. Nice run Tech. A lot of friends of mine who are Bama or Arkansas fans, watch Tech because of the offense MIKE LEACH ran. Very popular team to watch play.

IHStangFan
01-10-2010, 05:37 PM
:clap: Tuberville .....interesting.

slingshot
01-10-2010, 11:26 PM
Tuberville--interesting. Texas Tech football under him--not so much...

LH Panther Mom
01-12-2010, 09:50 PM
link (http://www.redraiders.com/2010/01/12/tuberville-makes-first-major-hire/)

OC hired, DC may be next

Watch out Big XII! :stirpot:

Old Tiger
01-12-2010, 10:03 PM
Tech hires Alabama linebacker coach as DC.

Tx Challenge
01-12-2010, 10:05 PM
link (http://www.redraiders.com/2010/01/12/tuberville-makes-first-major-hire/)

OC hired, DC may be next

Watch out Big XII! :stirpot:

Hmm Deb, and how to you feel about this move?

Tx Challenge
01-13-2010, 01:09 AM
LHPM,

The rumors, I am hearing about TT have my mind spinning. They have to be true because a trusted and respected member on this site told me so. Cant mention his name but he is a huge Auburn fan, and his initials are BDR....

Been told, Even though they are the Red Raiders, TT will Chant War Eagle at their games.

School colors will be Blue, Orange and White.

Tubbs is trying to get Arkansas out of the SEC because no one there respects the hogs and esp Petrino. He wants the Red Raiders (War Eagle) in the SEC because he knows that is the best conference. No one can dispute 4 in a row

If TT gives Tubbs the chance, they will bring the Big 12 up to level. You always play up folks right? LOL, having fun with you all......Go Tx Tech!

big daddy russ
01-13-2010, 01:21 AM
Straight from the mouth of the new OC's grandma's ex-boyfriend's second cousin's uncle. It's going down. I have sources.

Old Tiger
01-13-2010, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Straight from the mouth of the new OC's grandma's ex-boyfriend's second cousin's uncle. It's going down. I have sources. I'm guessing they're white trash?

Tx Challenge
01-13-2010, 01:36 AM
Nah O.T. We are not trash. Got to listen to BDR. TT is on the rise. Don't jump on ship too late... War Eagle!

Old Tiger
01-13-2010, 01:39 AM
I'll stick with the Horns and away from the rash :D

Tx Challenge
01-13-2010, 01:50 AM
it'all good. Support your team:cool: No rash from us. All in fun. As Auburn fans it was hard for BDR and I 2 pull for Bama. Just a fan of the game. Sec rules though.

LH Panther Mom
01-13-2010, 09:09 PM
Hmm Deb, and how to you feel about this move?
I'm still reserving judgement until I see them all in action. :p I wasn't really overly surprised at the number of staff members that were "let go" today. But, I am 100% positive that IF he and the rest of the staff don't perform up to expectations, there is going to be an angry mob of epic proportions in Lubbock.

Phil C
01-14-2010, 11:52 AM
They fired McNeil and other assistants. I am sure McNeil will be hired by someone soon but he deserved better from Texas Tech.

Isn't it ironic that Texas Tech fired their only head football coach that had a perfect record?

WildTexan972
01-14-2010, 04:17 PM
McNeil is a football coach...and they lose jobs when HCs change....so no assistant "deserves" better....

he gave Tech a good run....but 10 years is a long run for most assistant coaches

kaorder1999
01-14-2010, 05:16 PM
McNeill will land somewhere. He will get a decent DC job somewhere.....